PDA

View Full Version : 2250 point Night Goblin army led by Skarsnik :D

winsafra
08-04-2013, 02:09
Lords:
Skarsnik 275pts.
Goblin Warboss on giant wolf with wizarding hat, spear, and shield 192pts.

Heroe's:
Night Goblin Shaman Level 2 w/Dispel Scroll 110pts.
Night Goblin Shaman Level 2 w/Hex Scroll 135pts.
Night Goblin BSB w/ Armour of Silvered Steel and Ironcurse Icon 109pts.

Core:
Savage Orc Boyzx36 w/ AHW, Std. and Mus. 344pts.
Night Goblins x50 w/Nets, Std., Champ, an Mus. 225pts.
Wolf Riders x5 w/Bows, shields, and Mus. 70pts.

Special:
Savage Orc Boar Boy Big Unz x5 w/AHW and Std. 130pts.
Spear Chukka x2 70pts.
Trolls x6 210pts.

Rare:
Rock Lobba x2 170pts.
Doom Diver 80pts.
Mangler's x2 130pts.

2250pts. exactly, what'd you guys think? I'm thinking I'll huddle the machines in a corner, with the gobbo's orcs and trolls in front, and then swing everything else from the far side to hit a flank, driving them to my strong stuff.

Jind_Singh
08-04-2013, 06:15
Personally a bit too much in character upgrades than army - the 2 level 2's don't need a scroll each, and running THREE level 2's is going to be a bad investment as there's never enough power die to make them work! I'd rather drop a level 2 and grab a combat hero or another unit into the actual army.

The most obvious gap in the army is a severe lack of chariots - those are the best friends of OnG players. The next best friend are Squigs of any shape or size!

The Savage Orc Boar is bad news - they drop like anything with no saves, you'll burn away 25 vps at the end when they die, and they don't even hit that hard.

Savage Orc Big Uns ON FOOT on the other hand...rather see the unit size drop slightly so they can be the Big Uns

At 2250 close to 900pts is characters - that's too much. As much as it hurts consider downsizing the character selection to get yourself some units!

BlooScreen
08-04-2013, 08:18
Savage Orc Boyzx36 w/ AHW, Std. and Mus. 344pts.

Savage Orc Boar Boy Big Unz x5 w/AHW and Std. 130pts.

No self respecting orc would let a goblin lead them into battle! Boo!

Mr. Ultra
08-04-2013, 10:07
No squigs? No fanatics? Orcs???

And you call yourself a night goblin general?

SHAME ON YOU!

Mr. Ultra
08-04-2013, 10:07
No squigs? No fanatics? Orcs???

And you call yourself a night goblin general?

SHAME ON YOU!

naloth
08-04-2013, 20:45
Personally a bit too much in character upgrades than army - the 2 level 2's don't need a scroll each, and running THREE level 2's is going to be a bad investment as there's never enough power die to make them work! I'd rather drop a level 2 and grab a combat hero or another unit into the actual army.

I'm going to differ a bit. Using NG mages you enough bonus dice so 4+ spells a turn is doable. That being said, replacing your two lvl2's with one Lvl4 would be a better deal especially since I imagine all your NG heroes are going in your NG unit.

I wouldn't get the wizard hat for the warboss. I imagine you're doing it for access to the basic rulebook lores? Well, O&G lores are good enough that the tax + a lord character just isn't worth it. You should instead kit him for CC or drop him in favor of a hero wolf rider. That unit isn't going to be threatening real combat units and you're investing quite a bit for war machine hunting.

A SO Wizard w/the Shrunken head would help either savage unit tremendously. They make already good units, almost broken.

The most obvious gap in the army is a severe lack of chariots - those are the best friends of OnG players. The next best friend are Squigs of any shape or size!

Certainly, a Fanatic or two is a good investment for a NG unit. I find that chariots aren't really necessary even though they are decent enough value.

The Savage Orc Boar is bad news - they drop like anything with no saves, you'll burn away 25 vps at the end when they die, and they don't even hit that hard.

A T4 5+, 6++ isn't terrible and they hit pretty hard (5 S5 attacks on the charge, for a total of 25 for the unit) and you could stick a shaman in for a 5++ save as well. I've used them, others have considered that build almost broken, but it really depends on what you're facing. They don't have a high I or great save, so often they can be blown away before you can use them effectively.

Savage Orc Big Uns ON FOOT on the other hand...rather see the unit size drop slightly so they can be the Big Uns

I've used both normal and big 'uns on foot with great success.

At 2250 close to 900pts is characters - that's too much. As much as it hurts consider downsizing the character selection to get yourself some units!
Yes, it would help to adjust the balance a bit. You're a bit hero heavy.

winsafra
08-04-2013, 21:06
Ok, thanks guys for the advice, particularly the last least scathing of them lol, I've taken alot of your advice into consideration and here's what i've come up with, will be trying it out against lizards tonight so we'll see how it goes!
Fantasy Army: BoC
Lords:
Skarsnik 275pts.
Goblin Warboss on giant wolf with wizarding hat, spear, and shield 192pts.

Heroe's:
Night Goblin Shaman Level 2 w/Dispel Scroll 110pts.
Night Goblin BSB w/ Armour of Silvered Steel and Ironcurse Icon 109pts.

Core:
Savage Orc Big Unzx36 w/ AHW, Std. and Mus. 416pts.
Night Goblins x46 w/Nets, Std., Champ, an Mus. 225pts.
Wolf Riders x5 w/Bows, shields, and Mus. 70pts.

Special:
Squig Herd (11 Squigs an 4 Night Goblins) 100pts.
Spear Chukka x2 70pts.
Trolls x6 210pts.
Pump Wagon w/out rigga 55pts.

Rare:
Rock Lobba x2 170pts.
Doom Diver 80pts.
Mangler's x2 130pts.

I really like the wizarding hat an want to try it out in a war machine hunting unit, as if i get something really cool it could be a pain in the butt spell, just imagine if he could turn into a dragon or chimera?!? Thanks again! I'll post my results after tonight :D

winsafra
09-04-2013, 14:16
Well the wizarding hat turned out a dissapointment, I got lore of heavens and no good spells. Skarsnik however, cause him to to lose 5 of his 8 units when setting up, costing him his scouting skinks. My rock lobber took out the one stegadon he got to deploy normally on turn one. From there it just got worse, a bolt thrower shot dealt 2 wounds an then a mangler squig took out his lord on a carnasour. He got smashed pretty well with everything else, only destroying 2 bolthrowers, doom diver, squig herd, an the wizarding hat goblin by end of game. He got comet of castador off, but it did more damage to him than me when it landed. The mangler squigs destroyed alot, i even got pretty lucky with their random moves after they hit stuff, taking out his other stegadon.