PDA

View Full Version : 2400pt competitive WoC

NixonAsADaemonPrince
08-04-2013, 21:44
Hi,

A fantasy campaign is about to kick off in my area and I would appreciate some comments and advice on the following list please, I've haven't played a game of 8th in quite some time and this is my first list with the new WoC book:

2400pt Campaign List

Chaos Sorcerer
Lvl 2 (Death)
Enchanted Shield
Dispel Scroll
Mark of Nurgle
Barded Chaos Steed
(Goes with Nurgle Knights)
201pts

Exalted Hero
Battle Standard Bearer
Charmed Shield
Talisman of Preservation
Scaled Skin
Mark of Tzeentch
Great Weapon
Disc of Tzeentch
251pts

18 Chaos Warriors
Musician
Standard Bearer
Mark of Khorne
Halberds
362pts

18 Chaos Warriors
Musician
Standard Bearer
Mark of Khorne
Halberds
362pts

6 Chaos Knights
Musician
Standard Bearer
Mark of Khorne
Ensorcelled Weapons
290pts

6 Chaos Knights
Champion
Musician
Standard Bearer
Mark of Nurgle
Ensorcelled Weapons
Standard of Discipline
305pts

3 Skullcrushers of Khorne
Musician
Standard Bearer
Banner of Eternal Flame
Lances
261pts
(Monster hunting unit)

Total
2396pts

We'll be playing standard rulebook scenarios; I think all armies except Bretonnians are represented. Any good?

Cheers

zielonkak
08-04-2013, 22:19
ok a few things i noticed...and maybe its just my meta:
3 units of 10 warriors....not my cup of tea at all...two units of 15-18....more so....one unit of khorne halbreds, and one nurgle boards or gws.
two units of knights are ok, but i wouldnt go more then 6 wide, so i would drop on knight for the lord to fill his spot.
i feel that the crown of command is sort of a waste of points on a unit of 6 knights. they will win combat almost every time anyway.
i feel that the disk hero should loose the gw because his int. is really good, so maybe give him a something else, since he has charmed shield too.
I think that nurgle magic is really good now, and i would run it over death...that just depends on what you want to do with the magic phase.

Goldenwolf
10-04-2013, 04:37
Do people not play hordes in your area? Seems like a couple of 40 model blocks will wipe you out quick

BattleofLund
10-04-2013, 18:50
Do people not play hordes in your area? Seems like a couple of 40 model blocks will wipe you out quick

Curiosity on my part; what would those forty-blocks consist of, White Lions/Swordmasters? Seems to me that the Knight and Warrior units outlined above would take considerable amounts of enemies with them into death otherwise, and there are multiples of them.

On the other hand, I can't help feeling the Warriors would do better if redistributed into one unit or two. I would go for the Lore of Death to take out Doomwheels, Steam Tanks, Lore of Life/Lore of Metal Wizards, etc. Re: BSB with great weapon: I think it's a valid tactic, especially given how well-protected he is. Mine sits on a Daemonic Mount so he has T5 and W3, but then again he only has a 3+ armour save in close combat.

Morax
10-04-2013, 19:42
Curiosity on my part; what would those forty-blocks consist of, White Lions/Swordmasters? Seems to me that the Knight and Warrior units outlined above would take considerable amounts of enemies with them into death otherwise, and there are multiples of them.

On the other hand, I can't help feeling the Warriors would do better if redistributed into one unit or two. I would go for the Lore of Death to take out Doomwheels, Steam Tanks, Lore of Life/Lore of Metal Wizards, etc. Re: BSB with great weapon: I think it's a valid tactic, especially given how well-protected he is. Mine sits on a Daemonic Mount so he has T5 and W3, but then again he only has a 3+ armour save in close combat.

I'd figure that my 2, 60 man blocks of Empire Halberdiers with Warrior priest support would get the job done quickly... Doesn't have to be elites to get 10 wounds in on warriors.

BattleofLund
10-04-2013, 22:28
Goldenwolf wrote:

implying that a 40 model unit could easily destroy 10 Khornate Warriors. I replied:

I wondered what such a 40-model unit would be made of, to accomplish this. For example, 40 standard guys (human-ish) would lose 17 before even striking themselves.

I'd figure that my 2, 60 man blocks of Empire Halberdiers with Warrior priest support would get the job done quickly... Doesn't have to be elites to get 10 wounds in on warriors.

Yes, a 60 man block supported by a character is not at all the same as a 40 man block on its own. If they are both the same kind, i.e. Empire Halberdiers, one of them is a serious threat to 10 Khornate Warriors, the other one is not. I find it reasonable that a 450+ point unit will destroy a 200 point unit. That outcome is not certain at all though, in this case.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
11-04-2013, 01:03
ok a few things i noticed...and maybe its just my meta:
3 units of 10 warriors....not my cup of tea at all...two units of 15-18....more so....one unit of khorne halbreds, and one nurgle boards or gws.

Cheers for the comments, the reasoning for the 3x10 Warriors was for standards for Blood and Glory, due to my list not originally having the knights. Now they're in, I'll change it to 2x15 Warrior units, unfortunately I don't have the models for any Nurgle Warriors though :(

two units of knights are ok, but i wouldnt go more then 6 wide, so i would drop on knight for the lord to fill his spot.

The trouble is if they're only 5 strong I only have to lose 1 and I lose Look out, Sir! on my Wizard. 7 wide is a bit ungainly though I'll admit.

i feel that the crown of command is sort of a waste of points on a unit of 6 knights. they will win combat almost every time anyway.
i feel that the disk hero should loose the gw because his int. is really good, so maybe give him a something else, since he has charmed shield too.

Yeah I think I'll change out the Crown of Command, they should be alright anyway as you say. I went for the GW as the list doesn't have much armour busting potential, and I thought the BSB could hunt knights or even threaten the likes of Mournfangs if he can get a flank charge.

I think that nurgle magic is really good now, and i would run it over death...that just depends on what you want to do with the magic phase.

Cool cool, I am quite tempted by taking Nurgle, getting the signature spell, then riding up in front of 2 large enemy units and magic templating one then flame breathing the other :D

Cheers for the advice, I'm heeding it :)
Talking about Daemonic Mounts, I did have an idea for a right tank of a BSB, though I don't have the model for it at the mo:

Exalted Hero
Battle Standard Bearer
Charmed Shield
Dawnstone
Potion of Toughness
Scaled Skin
Mark of Nurgle
Great Weapon
Daemonic Mount
256pts

Should be able to take a few knocks, if slightly pricy.

And I too am slight :confused: with the notion that this list can't deal with hordes? It's not optimised to do so, but I felt it was adequate for most situations?

MOMUS
11-04-2013, 07:47
How about a link to the comp pack?

Personally i would drop or consolidate the warriors, but i suppose models and time is an issue.

CmdrLaw
11-04-2013, 09:24
Biggest problem I see with your warrior 10 man blocks is ASF and Impact hits.

A unit of ogres getting a 10+ charge roll could take 6-10 warriors off before anything happens.