PDA

View Full Version : The slann and his temple guard

HybridTheory
09-04-2013, 12:04
So I have a question, and I know this is not the first time somebody asked it.

I have a pretty good 1500 point list at the moment.

30 saurus warriors 6 wide
2 times 10 skink skirmishers
7 chameleon skinks
2 salamander hunting packs with extra handler
and a block of 20 temple guard and a slann.

in the end it's a beautiful 1500 points exact.

everything works except for the temple guard and slann.
everytime I field it this way, it ends up dying or running off the board, normally this wouldn't be much of a problem, but in this case. it's 700+ points going down the drain. at this point I might as well pack in my stuff and leave because there is no way a lizardmen player recovers from that.

what is my alternative, to make sure this doesn't happen?
a skink priest on EotG is too much points for a 1500 pts game.., but I'm open for all suggestions! :)

I realise that I'm probably not the first to ask, so a link to another similar topic is of course welcome too!

yeknoMehT
09-04-2013, 12:30
I'd be tempted to say that having half of your army in one unit is never a great plan - it's a fairly big 'come and get me for lots of VPs' target, and can be overwhelmed quite easily unless you get a good swing at the magic phase beforehand.
I'm not sure a slann by himself works all that effectively, but you could make him ethereal and try it out.

Azaireal
09-04-2013, 14:00
Slaan in skink skirmishers?

quina2525
09-04-2013, 15:31
Don't field your slann with temple guard at a small game like 1500. Only field him in temple guard at 2000 point game or larger. I always have my slann and TG flanked by 2 units of saurus, to maximise the buffed light spells, and protects the flanks. In smaller games I just put my slann in the unit of saurus. Although cause its a unit of regular saurus he has to go in the front rank. Works for me. :)

HybridTheory
09-04-2013, 20:54
Hmm.., thanks guys. Must say it never even crossed my mind to put him in a saurus unit. Not very convinced still to be honoust but I might give him a try.

I have tried ethereal a few times, but got tabled all the time.., must say this was against very skilled opponents so I will try again :)

Dante blackfur
09-04-2013, 21:15
Otherwise drop the TG make Slann ethereal, stick him in the saurus (or solo, with ethereal he's pretty defensive) and add a second unit of saurus with the pts saved from TG.

The Great Flaming Odin
09-04-2013, 21:18
I second the idea of putting him in the skirmishers bunker, cheap, makes him manouvarable, gives him a LoS, you dont really care if you miscast and kill a few of them, -1 to hit on BS shooting and blowpipes are actually a fairly decent deterant to some mage hunters like eagles. I like a bigish unit of 15-20. Being able to reform easily doesnt make footprint an issue.

A small (~16) bunker of saurus warriors is also decent but i wouldnt recommend this till larer games >2000pts. The Slann is actually a decent tank in combat T4 W5 and 4++ means he can usually survive a couple rounds with standard mage hunters, If hes getting hit by anything stronger than lone eagles or small fast cav, I would change up my game plan rather than my army list.

medevilmike
10-04-2013, 02:05
change up your lore, thats it. 1500 is a LOT diff then 2k+, I know you want to run life or light like everyone else but at lower points their is a bell curve on lores that you have to consider. at 1500 pts most armys have a max of 30 models in a unit and way smaller units on average. try a more ummmmmm hated lore like fire(fav lore ever). naked slann with rumination and LoFire will make people stop playing small games vs you. they wont be able to clog you up or redirect properly and their key units wont be able to charge(flamecage) if you play your spells right. flaming sword a sally...but hey maybe drastically changing your list is the answer, who knows...

HybridTheory
10-04-2013, 05:50
try a more ummmmmm hated lore like fire(fav lore ever). naked slann with rumination and LoFire will make people stop playing small games vs you. they wont be able to clog you up or redirect properly and their key units wont be able to charge(flamecage) if you play your spells right. flaming sword a sally.

Sounds like a plan, I will deffinetly concider this.

Moss
10-04-2013, 23:44
everytime I field it this way, it ends up dying...

What types of units are you fighting that are able to kill TG? My first piece of advice it to avoid those units. If you can redirect them using skinks, do it. As you say, you can't afford to lose this unit; don't fight hordes of WLs with them.

...or running off the board...

Is your Slann your BSB? If not, he really should be. A stubborn unit with a rerollable Ld9 isn't going to run.

what is my alternative, to make sure this doesn't happen?

Honestly, my 1500pt list looks almost identical to yours, and I find it works fabulously. Like I said, the important thing is to pick your fights carefully. If it helps, shave some points to squeeze in another unit of skirmishers to help keep dangerous units away from your blocks.

MOMUS
11-04-2013, 06:42
everytime I field it this way, it ends up dying or running off the board,

Really? I think most posters here have taken your problem at face value.

Everytime.? How many times have you played this unit, its a stubborn, Ld9, rerolled and coldblooded unit. I dont think ive ever seen TG run away :confused: The chances of it running are the lowest in the game, i think you are either not supporting it in game or had a spot of bad luck.

If i was playing lizzies at 1500pts i would take a skirmisher force, no blocks.

There is a new tactica thread for lizzies here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?367624-Lustria-s-finest-Lizardmen-tactica

ZigZagMan
12-04-2013, 16:05
Ethereal slann with crown of command doesn't go anywhere, against units without magic.

Greatwhitenorth
12-04-2013, 18:58
I play against a slann and TG unit in 1500 and he uses Crown of Command and Life magic and usually it takes a ton of effort to get that unit to break (or be killed to a Lizard) so if you want to invest that hard go 100% of the wall with it

Moss
12-04-2013, 19:59
I play against a slann and TG unit in 1500 and he uses Crown of Command and Life magic and usually it takes a ton of effort to get that unit to break (or be killed to a Lizard) so if you want to invest that hard go 100% of the wall with it

Your friend can save 35pts. tg are stubborn with the slann anyway.