PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at WoC 2400 With Throgg and Festus!

High_Marshal_Helbrecht
10-04-2013, 11:01
Lord
Demon Prince - 515 pts
Mark Of Nurgle, General, Chaos Armour, Level 4
Sword Of Striking, Charmed Shield, Dragonbane Gem, Soul Feeder, Scaled Skin, Flaming Breath, Chaos Familiar

Hero
Troll King Throgg - 195 pts

Festus The Leechlord - 190 pts

Exalted Hero - 200 pts
Mark Of Nurgle, Chaos Armour, Battle Standard Bearer
Dawnstone, Burning Body, Enchanted Shield, Other Tricksters Shard

Core
18 Warriors of Chaos - 405 pts
Full Command, Mark of Nurgle, Halbred and Shield, Banner of Swiftness
Festus and Exalted Hero in this Unit

5 Chaos Warhounds - 40 pts
Vanguard

Vanguard

7 Chaos Trolls - 245 pts
Throgg goes here

Special
Chimera - 275 pts
Flaming Breath, Regenerating Flesh

Gorebeast Chariot - 140 pts
Mark of Nurgle

Mark of Nurgle

Total - 2385

This is from a weekend with the WoC book and as such it might be utter crap! I have gone for the models I like best and not really what might work best I think? Anyway, this would be my first foray into Warhammer Fantasy and I wanted it to be with an army I liked the look of..

The one change I was thinking of, If I could get away with it, would be dropping the Chimera to double the size of the Troll Unit..

CmdrLaw
10-04-2013, 13:27
I like it! I was building a similar list but wanted to use ogres instead of Trolls and didn't have enough core so might switch to Trolls.

The lvl 4 Demon prince certianly seems amusing, you going death with him?

So hard to cut things out of the Warriors army....WANT ALL THE THINGS!

Only guy I am not sure about is feasus as an additional spellcaster in a small unit. He could be a Hellcannon or some Skullcrushers.

But keep the Chimera he is ace!

High_Marshal_Helbrecht
10-04-2013, 13:36
Keep the Chimera? I honestly have no idea how I'd use him! Or most of this army! Which is kind of what makes me want to go ahead with it haha..

I have already decided to drop the Chaos Familiar on the DP to give him Wings so he can fly, and I can get him behind the units which the warriors and trolls have tied up.
I have never used Death Magic, I was considering just using the Nurgle Magic, it seemed better to get a wound back on a 6 than more power dice on a 5 or 6...Although god knows..This is my first forray into Warriors of Chaos and I have no clue how to use them properly!

I like Festus in with the warriors since the warriors themselves are already -1 to hit with the MoN, with Chaos Armour and Shield they then have a 3+ Armour Save and then with Festus in them they have S5 Poisoned attacks with a 5+ Regen Save.

Voss
10-04-2013, 13:50
Keep the nurgle magic.

Are normal scenarios an issue? Because you, I believe, auto lose the banner scenario.

Biggest problem I can see is too many characters, not enough army. War machines and magic are going to break you.

High_Marshal_Helbrecht
10-04-2013, 14:00
Hmmm..So Nurgle is the better choice then? I really liked a lot of the spells and buffs..

Well, I have honestly never played the banner scenario anywhere! If it ever gets rolled, everyone tends to re-roll that one when it comes up!

CmdrLaw
10-04-2013, 14:17
Well nice thing about the Flying level 4 Death mage is a Purple Sun across the entire army.

High_Marshal_Helbrecht
10-04-2013, 14:24
Isn't that ever so slightly Gamey though? Hmmm..Although the final Nurgle spell is mostly the same kind of thing..

Although, I get the feeling it will be easier to fail an Initiative Test than a Toughness Test..

Vulgarsty
10-04-2013, 17:46
You sure you want to MoN on the gorebeasts?

I'm looking at running 3 in a 2k tourney army and thinking MoT keeps giving in shooting and magic phase even if slighly worse in combat ( is it really that worse?)

Also running 2x3 juggers in the list, they do it hard and can survive and can work with the dogs not panicking if the dogs go awol. Nice tag team to roll each flank in a pincer, plus you get 2 banners to not auto lose scenario

Festus good when you consider a naked lvl 2 nurgle only comes a bit cheaper, warriors optimum at 6 wide, and shields might be better spent on poisoning dogs

Also making a dp a magic user plus a combat monster is a bit splitting focus although i get that the lore is not bad in a cc dude but id be terrified of losing so many points to a miscast, could you spend the points on a lvl 1 with metal signiture to deal with nights and a scroll?, 3 spells will likely use your average 7 winds dice? Wings good though. I may be critisised for going magic light but the 7 spells you originally had may only get a die each.

The chimeras have not been as consistent as the chariots or juggers in playtesting, but i think i am the minority view here

CmdrLaw
10-04-2013, 19:09
I have been wrestling with the lvl 4 DP conundrum.

I believe with Nurgle at least it is worth it. Nearly all spells can be cast in combat so that's not a problem. If you want a DP then adding the lvls is much much cheaper than buying a Sorceror Lord. And If they do take out your DP then you are down a significant amount of points anyway that the extra 140 isn't too bad.

CmdrLaw
10-04-2013, 19:22
Basically if you want to use a DP, may as well make him a Wizard :)

High_Marshal_Helbrecht
10-04-2013, 19:34
Hahaha..I figure I have just as much chance of having him Cannonballed off the table as a Sorcerer on Disk. Also, with Soul Feeder and the Nurgle Spell Attribute I should easily be able to get back wounds

zielonkak
10-04-2013, 20:08
I run my DP as a level 2 with familiar, and have festus so that's like 5 levels of magic. It saves like 70 pts to add other stuff.

High_Marshal_Helbrecht
10-04-2013, 20:25
Hmmm, So for all intents and purposes, the DP would be a Level 3 but without the points sink? I could buff the Unit of Warriors up to 20 then..

I am still having trouble with my list seeing where the big "KILLY" things are..

Kayosiv
10-04-2013, 21:07
I think you're just spending too many points on characters. You don't even need Throgg, as your core is almost full without the trolls in it anyway and you can just use a regular chariot instead of a gorebeast one and then it is full.

If you're going to take a BSB, and Festus, and Throgg, a demon prince is just using up too many more points. More units is the answer imo. Decide which 2 of your 4 characters you really want to keep and then refocus the army.

CmdrLaw
10-04-2013, 22:31
I think you're just spending too many points on characters. You don't even need Throgg, as your core is almost full without the trolls in it anyway and you can just use a regular chariot instead of a gorebeast one and then it is full.

If you're going to take a BSB, and Festus, and Throgg, a demon prince is just using up too many more points. More units is the answer imo. Decide which 2 of your 4 characters you really want to keep and then refocus the army.

Good advice :)

Vulgarsty
10-04-2013, 22:32
Ok, i see what your thinking, he has a 50/50 of the cannonball not killing him outright anyway before wards and you then maximise chances of getting wounds back whilst ramping up toughness. He is a serious enemy ill give him that.

What about the marks on chariots tho? Something to be said for Tzeench

As for regular chariots v gorebeasts you get an awful lot extra for 20 points, nice thing about trolls is they will mince knights and batter foot dudes, i like them if you have a bsb

I understand peoples points about the characters but festus reaaly buffs your warriors both offensively and defensively, just make sure your dp occupies any unit with the flaming banner

zielonkak
10-04-2013, 23:39
I'm not sold on chariots unless its lead by a cheap exalted hero

High_Marshal_Helbrecht
11-04-2013, 07:46
Right..I have done some re-thinking on the Army from all the advice and talk about having too much in characters and not enough in kiling and taken out Festus, Throgg and the Trolls and tried to make things a bit more Balanced..but I cannot help but think that I have taken all the "Character" out of the Army?

Lord
Demon Prince - 515 pts
Mark Of Nurgle, General, Chaos Armour, Level 2, Flying
Sword Of Striking, Charmed Shield, Dragonbane Gem, Soul Feeder, Scaled Skin, Flaming Breath, Chaos Familiar

Hero
Exalted Hero - 200 pts
Mark Of Nurgle, Chaos Armour, Battle Standard Bearer
Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Preservation

Core
21 Warriors of Chaos - 465 pts
Full Command, Mark of Nurgle, Halbred and Shield, Banner of Swiftness

21 Warriors of Chaos - 450 pts
Full Command, Mark of Nurgle, Halbred and Shield

Vanguard

Special
Chimera - 275 pts
Flaming Breath, Regenerating Flesh

Mark of Tzeentch

Mark of Tzeentch

Rare
Hellcannon - 210 pts

Total - 2400

I think I might build this and the other army and if I fancy having fun, I might just take the other army instead and if I feel like winning something important, maybe this one?

zielonkak
11-04-2013, 09:52
Here is my 2400 list.

2400 WOC tourny list
Fantasy Army: WoC
DP
-sword of striking, dragon bane gem, charmed shield
-MON, chaos armor, flight, level 2
-chaos familiar, scaled skin, soul feeder

Festus

20 warriors
-MON, shields, full command, flaming banner

5 hounds with vanguard

5 hounds with vanguard

5 forsaken of khorne

5 forsaken of khorne

Chimera with flaming breath and regen

5 knights of nurgle
- ensorcelled weapons, full command, banner of swiftness

Mutalith vortex beast

3 Skull crushers
- full command, ensorcelled weapons, war banner

2399/2400

Sometimes I cut 3 warriors and and a 6th knight and add a forsaken too.

High_Marshal_Helbrecht
11-04-2013, 09:55
Aren't you then stuck with no BSB which I have been lead to believe that with WOC is important and 2 units of Forsaken which are dreadful this edition aren't they?

zielonkak
11-04-2013, 10:56
I haven't needed the bsb yet, which I know is a gamble not taking him. The forsaken are actually very strong now in small groups. I use them like hounds but expect them to kill stuff. The idea of the list is to have everything be able to hold their own if needed. I use nurgle magic to add to the nurgle buffs and try to have everything with regen. So far the only thing that hasn't been solid, has been the mutilath....which is still been pretty good. I have also considered adding a exalted on deamonic mount as a bsb instead of it.