PDA

View Full Version : Stomp and Thunderstomp vs characters in units.

Jennifer
11-04-2013, 16:41
Can you elect to do a Stomp or Thunderstomp attack against a character in a unit?

The Stomp rule says you inflict the hit against the UNIT, but does not specifically state that you cannot target a character with it.

The character rules don't mention Stomps or Thunderstomps, they only talk about allocated attacks vs the character.

My interpretation is that you CANNOT Stomp or Thunderstomp a character in a unit, unless you are in a challenge with the character, or the character is the only model in contact with the Stomper.

My opponent disagrees, and thinks that a Stomp can be targetted against character in a unit just like any other attack.

Was there ever an FAQ on this?

Thanks for your help,

Jennifer.

Glemigobles
11-04-2013, 17:02
No, the thunderstomp rule says you inflict D6 hits against the unit. The stomp rule says:

STOMP
Some creatures are so massive that their sheer bulk is a threat all of its own.
A model with this special rule can make a Stomp in addition to its other close combat attacks. A Stomp has the Always Strikes Last special rule, and inflicts 1 automatic hit, at the model's Strength, on one enemy infantry, war beasts or swarm unit in base contact with the model. This represents the creature crushing the foe beneath its ponderous feet, or knocking their broken bodies aside with one sweep of its mighty tail (probably while it's roaring in a most intimidating fashion).

Thunderstomp:
A Thunderstomp makes D 6 hits on the target unit, rather than the single hit for a normal Stomp. It is otherwise treated exactly like a normal Stomp.

So a stomper can choose to stomp chars with aforementioned troop types if they are in base contact with him

Grimgormx
11-04-2013, 17:16
In MHO you can only direct "attacks" to a character in a unit if you declare that the attacker is doing that and the model is in BtB, as stomps are hits resolved vs a unit then it wont affect characters unless it is the last surviving model from a unit.

Jennifer
11-04-2013, 17:18
Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

However the wording of the rule is not exactly helpful to me and my opponent, as the rule for Stomp does say ...inflict 1 automatic hit on one enemy unit in base contact with the model, NOT one enemy model.

So to me this means you Stomp the UNIT, not a specific character. However, I can see both sides of the argument, so until it is FAQ'd we will just roll for it, following the most important rule.

Thanks again

Jennifer

Artiee
11-04-2013, 17:44
FAQ
Q: Do special rules that can inflict hits in close combat, such as
Stomp and Breath Weapons, count as close combat attacks? (p42)
A: No they count as an unusual attack and will be distributed
as a shooting attack.

They will be distributed to the unit. Unless there are less than 5 Rank and File models (not including the Champion) in the the unit with a Character, then the hits are allocated between the RnF models, Champion and Character. (A stomp will always be against the RnF model until they are dead)

Jennifer
11-04-2013, 18:03
Thanks! I knew I had read this somewhere before - pp 7 of the FAQ - under the section titled Magic - go figure GW!