PDA

View Full Version : What is the Black Library doing with Ravens?

Polaria
14-04-2013, 12:49
Now this I can't get into my head: After Deliverance Lost was published in December 2011 the Black Library has published two more books on Raven Guard: The Unkindness of Ravens in May 2012 and now Corax:Soulforge in April 2013. However, both of these two books are strictly limited-issue only and, unlike other BL stuff, not available as eBooks. Furthermore, it also works out the other way around: The only strictly limited-issue books BL has published during the same time are the Raven Guard ones.

So the question is: Why is Raven Guard getting this kind of special attention? The only logical thing I can think of is that they are testing how popular the chapter is... First they put out 1000 limited-print books and see how long it takes that they are sold out (took about 24 hours), now they release a new limited-print but with a twist: You have 7 days during which to order and all oders are printed-on-demand. So the actual number of books printed is fully dependant on how many are ordered during a limited time-period... Which is another great way to gauge how popular the chapter really is.

But why would BL do such stuff? What are they up to?

Captain Idaho
14-04-2013, 13:21
Is this a rumour?

Azazyll
14-04-2013, 14:09
Should be in the BL general forum

Bigglesworth
14-04-2013, 14:10
Well they have less heresy baggage now, I.e the have less places and times to be from previous fluff so they can use them in heresy stories in ways it would be infeasible to do other legions.

Naulaen
14-04-2013, 19:57
Sherlock Holmes, is it you?

Master_Forcide
14-04-2013, 20:07
Furthermore, it also works out the other way around: The only strictly limited-issue books BL has published during the same time are the Raven Guard ones.

Brotherhood of the Storm.

Shibboleth
15-04-2013, 07:04
Was 'Unkindness of Ravens' set in HH?
(Funny, I just got my despatch notice for the other two a minute ago.)

Polaria
15-04-2013, 14:22
Was 'Unkindness of Ravens' set in HH?

Nope, it was set in M40 or so.

theJ
15-04-2013, 16:04
Is this a rumour?

Technically I think it's speculation.
Eh, it's interesting, so I'm fine either way.

mostlyharmless
15-04-2013, 16:32
So the question is: Why is Raven Guard getting this kind of special attention?

Because the Raven Guard are awesome.

Legio Phasma
15-04-2013, 19:05
In before the block

Polaria
15-04-2013, 19:10
In before the block

What block? If the admins think its not enough News & Rumours it will just get shipped to General...

narrativium
15-04-2013, 19:17
It's not the first limited release book. Or even the second. Mephiston's 'Lords of the Space Marines' book was released in the same way, only a month or two ago. I don't think this is anything specific to do with the Raven Guard; BL are playing with a new format and seeing how popular it is.

Since some of the earlier limited edition books are starting to be released in non-limited-edition (e.g. Promethean Sun will be rereleased this summer), we'll see whether the novelty wears off.

jedideinos
18-04-2013, 18:28
As Bigglesworth said, the Raven Guard have a lack of baggage, so there is a freedom to tell stories.
I have a suspicion that FW and BL staff have also spotted the existence of RG fans and decided that there is a market for RG products. As a RG fan, I certainly won't be complaining about that.