PDA

View Full Version : kroot are so good!!!

AUN'SHI
14-04-2013, 15:55
kroot are awesome I can get 3 st 7 guns in their unit for 25 pts.... so long fire warriors never to be seen in a Tau army again...

I think the kroot will start be taken in mass I know I will hell 6 units of stand back 48" st 7 gun and they are troop!!! wowzers!!! 18 st7 guns pfff so long light vehicles make way for the kroot. :evilgrin:

Shamana
14-04-2013, 20:00
kroot are awesome I can get 3 st 7 guns in their unit for 25 pts.... so long fire warriors never to be seen in a Tau army again...

I think the kroot will start be taken in mass I know I will hell 6 units of stand back 48" st 7 gun and they are troop!!! wowzers!!! 18 st7 guns pfff so long light vehicles make way for the kroot. :evilgrin:

Eh, it's a RF autocannon team. Nifty at times, but I can't get that excided. A lot of them will fare well against against light vehicles, but I rather doubt Codex Tau will have a huge problem there.One or two teams are ok, but completely ditching fire warriors for kroot sounds too much. FWs shoot way better against most anything, are fairly cheap, and have ok resilience for their points.

Then again, I could be just bitter at the kroot melee nerf. Still don't see why in Papa Smurf's name someone decided that the only unit with any melee ability at all in a unit full of shooting units needs to become better at shooting. They're a good unit, don't get me wrong, but I liked them a lot conceptually and they changed in a way I don't quite like.

blackcherry
14-04-2013, 21:45
Its still a bit of a shock to me with the change to Kroot, but I can understand it. Whats even better, is that with a bit of creativity, Kroot Merc armies can exist again.

Shadeseraph
14-04-2013, 22:04
Eh, it's a RF autocannon team. Nifty at times, but I can't get that excided. A lot of them will fare well against against light vehicles, but I rather doubt Codex Tau will have a huge problem there.One or two teams are ok, but completely ditching fire warriors for kroot sounds too much. FWs shoot way better against most anything, are fairly cheap, and have ok resilience for their points.

Then again, I could be just bitter at the kroot melee nerf. Still don't see why in Papa Smurf's name someone decided that the only unit with any melee ability at all in a unit full of shooting units needs to become better at shooting. They're a good unit, don't get me wrong, but I liked them a lot conceptually and they changed in a way I don't quite like.

An infiltrating/outflanking RF autocannon can be quite scary, specially when they can make use of markerlights. One of my biggest concerns when the broadsides nerf came was taking down vindicators, specially blood angel ones. A well placed kroot squad with 3 krootox trivializes killing them while still being cheap and having a ton of other uses.

I do think that giving them the ability to outflank/infiltrate with krootox and kroot hounds, added to the point cost reduction, makes them at least as decent at melee as they were before: crap against dedicated melee units, decent against other non close combat troop choices. Acute senses on top of that is just icing the cake.

cuda1179
14-04-2013, 22:16
For their points, basic Kroot kill just as many marines as basic Firewarriors. I have found quite a bit of use for them, other than just as snipers ( I was rather pushed into this as I had 80 kroot models).

Best uses for Kroot, in no paticular order:

1. Snipers. Cheap unit with sniper rifles. The only other unit that comes close to this is a full squad of Dark Eldar Warriors, but they have poison, not sniper. While this is great at killing monsterous creatures, killing a Space marine sergent with precision shot will greatly cripple their ability to out-assault the kroot when they do charge.

2. Roadblockers Hey, it's what they were used for before, now they are cheaper at it. Think the only way to use kroothounds is for outflanking and therefore need only one? Well, try 10 of them in a roadblock unit. They are cheaper than kroot (hey they are there to die anyway). Plus their higher inititive means they will strike BEFORE marines. One or two dead marines is the difference between kroot sticking around another turn or two, thus doing their job.

3. Objective sitters.Even if they do NOTHING the entire game, it is hard to move a full unit of kroot off an objective. It is 33 models after all. It would take a concerted effort to shoot or assault them off, and would most likely take far more points than the kroot are worth.

4. Late-game objective grabbers. Have a few points to spare in your army list? A minimum Kroot unit with a single hound can pop up and object a backfeild objective. Watch as your enemy is forced to use his 200+ point unit do deal with 35 points of kroot.

5. Alpha strike with a unit of Pathfinders. Infiltration with Pathfinders is great, but often times I find myself marking a unit with infiltrated markerlights when non-infiltrated models have no line of sight. Not a problem for Kroot. They can infiltrate with the Pathfinders, gaining the same feild of view.

Charistoph
14-04-2013, 22:34

:confused: For someone with a Tau name you REALLY do not know the history of the army.

1) You cannot 3 S7 for 25 points, that cost is per model.

2) The Krootox was always there with the same gun. Yes, it has always been a Rapid-Fire Autocannon.

3) Krootox still suffer from one of their major weaknesses, anything S6+ will pink mist that 3W model. They really should have returned to T5, imo.

4) Only 2 things changed with this codex: price and the buggers can sneak now.

I will admit, it will be a little easier to convince the intertoobz of the Krootox viability, now, though.

Edit: Over all, though, the Carnivore squad took a nerf hit for one of their army roles. They are now limited to just the light skirmisher role. Admittedly, the changes to Rapid Fire and the ability to made into Snipers has enhanced this role along with the Krootox sneakiness.

AUN'SHI
15-04-2013, 16:36
:confused: For someone with a Tau name you REALLY do not know the history of the army.

1) You cannot 3 S7 for 25 points, that cost is per model.

2) The Krootox was always there with the same gun. Yes, it has always been a Rapid-Fire Autocannon.

3) Krootox still suffer from one of their major weaknesses, anything S6+ will pink mist that 3W model. They really should have returned to T5, imo.

4) Only 2 things changed with this codex: price and the buggers can sneak now.

I will admit, it will be a little easier to convince the intertoobz of the Krootox viability, now, though.

Edit: Over all, though, the Carnivore squad took a nerf hit for one of their army roles. They are now limited to just the light skirmisher role. Admittedly, the changes to Rapid Fire and the ability to made into Snipers has enhanced this role along with the Krootox sneakiness.

Sorry I know they are 25 pts per model I did not specify my bad.

Kroottox with the same gun ya but the kroot are now cheaper also fire warrior can't get heavies kroot can... never understood that

ya let someone waste their st 6 weapon on my cheapo kroot ill keep them in cover put the krootox in the back so you have to go through 10 regular kroot not scared at all.

To be honest I don't think ill take fire warriors as imo the kroot are just better. and more versatile. ...... kroot should I shoot 48" kill a tansport or infiltrate with acute senses lay down uber fire also 6 pts a peice.... Tau fire warriors stand back 30" shoot is nice but not against vehicles still have the same bs as kroot also. If fire warrior have the ability to be missile drones then fire warrior would be a nice choice but alas this was FAQ'ed

Theocracity
15-04-2013, 16:53
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the potential of the new Kroot :).

The funny thing is, the nerf to their melee ability is actually a buff to their use as a speed bump. They have less chance of winning melee, so you have less chance of an enemy unit sitting safely in assault through your shooting phase....

And for those who want the Kroot to stand on their own, they're a crunchy skirmish unit with neat options. That's pretty cool in my book.

Gooner
15-04-2013, 17:01
I took a unit of 20 sniper kroot and for their points cost they did amazing. Stayed deep in the flank rending and presicion shooting with marker light support. Once all the stuff near them died they moved in to take line breaker.

The bearded one
15-04-2013, 17:01
4. Late-game objective grabbers. Have a few points to spare in your army list? A minimum Kroot unit with a single hound can pop up and object a backfeild objective. Watch as your enemy is forced to use his 200+ point unit do deal with 35 points of kroot.

A minimumsized kroot unit isnt 35 points. If it was I'd be spamming 5-man kroot units left and right..

cuda1179
15-04-2013, 21:04
A minimumsized kroot unit isnt 35 points. If it was I'd be spamming 5-man kroot units left and right..

Sorry, I meant 65 points. Darn 3 key being so close to the 6 key.

Hokiecow
15-04-2013, 21:37
How are they a speed bump if they bring the opponent's units closer, faster, and into Cover (were the Kroot should have been)?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Theocracity
15-04-2013, 21:42
Because they're standing between the Tau and the nasty assault unit, which means they have to be cleared out first. And who cares if they're close as long as you have a shooting phase coming up? Marketlight away any cover they grab and rapid fire till crispy.

Maybe bubble wrap is more the term we're looking for. Or since this is Tau, Kau'yon Bait.

Latro_
15-04-2013, 21:56
Don't forget the single kroot hound for the outflank :D

Shamana
15-04-2013, 22:05
To be honest I don't think ill take fire warriors as imo the kroot are just better. and more versatile. ...... kroot should I shoot 48" kill a tansport or infiltrate with acute senses lay down uber fire also 6 pts a peice.... Tau fire warriors stand back 30" shoot is nice but not against vehicles still have the same bs as kroot also. If fire warrior have the ability to be missile drones then fire warrior would be a nice choice but alas this was FAQ'ed

Just better? Not really. Yes, the RF autocannons are nice, but tau have some impressive general shooting and have this nifty "all for one" overwatch trick, and come with a pretty nice armor when the enemy decides to bring out the fast/DSing/vehicle flamers. Sure, they don't get missile drones, but you can never have enough markerlight, and the new pulse accelerator drones are wickedly nice imo. S5 pinning stormbolters on a unit with decent armor, and single-digit cost... yeah, thanks. 36 inches on the pulse rifle don't hurt, either - for most armies, that's sniper range.

I will see how kroot work as time passes. For now, I may be a little negative due to how some of the changes work, but they definitely look like a solid unit for the points... they just lost some mechanics that fitted the flavor that I liked. Hey, for me that matters.

Shadeseraph
15-04-2013, 22:10
Just better? Not really. Yes, the RF autocannons are nice, but tau have some impressive general shooting and have this nifty "all for one" overwatch trick, and come with a pretty nice armor when the enemy decides to bring out the fast/DSing/vehicle flamers. Sure, they don't get missile drones, but you can never have enough markerlight, and the new pulse accelerator drones are wickedly nice imo. S5 pinning stormbolters on a unit with decent armor, and single-digit cost... yeah, thanks. 36 inches on the pulse rifle don't hurt, either - for most armies, that's sniper range.

I will see how kroot work as time passes. For now, I may be a little negative due to how some of the changes work, but they definitely look like a solid unit for the points... they just lost some mechanics that fitted the flavor that I liked. Hey, for me that matters.

How are you giving fire warriors a pulse accelerator drone? As far as I see only pathfinders can take it.

Nator
15-04-2013, 22:21
I like Kroot, but will keep my units cheap as chips.

I'm thinking of including 3 x 10 Kroot with hounds for outflanking fun.

I still want a couple of units of Fire Warriors too though.

Shamana
16-04-2013, 11:30
How are you giving fire warriors a pulse accelerator drone? As far as I see only pathfinders can take it.

Hmm, apparently I was wrong - I saw in the codex that the shas'ui can take 2 drones from the list, and I thought it meant any drone except missiles or shielded missiles. That' will teach me to post in the dead of night :shifty:

Retrospectus
16-04-2013, 14:36
I've played against tau a couple of times with a 20 kroot blob including krootox and sniper rounds. let me tell you that they are a PAIN! plinking specials and sergeants left and right, and that's not even taking into account the rest of the army tearing away. sitting behind an aegis or in some ruins it took a ridiculous amount of firepower to remove. IG having trouble out-shooting someone, luckily I had a hellhound. unluckily broadsides killed it before it could remove them

ORicK
16-04-2013, 15:40
I always fielded kroot, 1 unit at first, then 2 units of 10-15 models and they were always worth it, now even better for the points.

I fielded them in a tournament this weekend.
My army concept is DFDF (Drone Factory Defense Force) en this time i fielded 2 commanders + 2 markerlights, 3 x (3 stealth suits + 2 drones), 2x6 fire warriors, 2x11 kroot, 2 drone units (6 gun drones, 3 markerlights), 1x8 gun drones, 2 broadsides, sniper drones.

The kroot were worth it every game, i (always) use them to flank and then move toward objectives. And i don't even have a kroot hound yet! ;-)
Did not use the sniper rounds yet, had no need for them, but the option is good.

The only units that did better where the gun drone. Fantastic what they can do with a bit of markerlight support or the BS:5 of a commander with drone controller.

The units that did only reasonably well where the broadsides (because of bad dice) and above all the stealth suits and sniper drones, because there is just too much that ignores cover saves including the cover that stealth and obscured gives you.

And based on what i read here I will indeed complete my Kroot with a kroot hound and will also give them a krootox, a flanking S7 shot, maybe 2, on a vehicle (usually armour 10) cannot hurt...