PDA

View Full Version : Poison Wind mortar indirect fire

FatTrucker
14-04-2013, 20:52
Another seemingly ambiguous rule came up today.
A PWM can use its parent units line of sight if its within 3"
It goes on to say that a shot scatters twice the rolled amount if the PWM can't see its target.

So does the parent units LoS only come into play if you score a direct hit or is the scatter rule referring to indirect fire where you can't use the parent units LoS?

What do you think? We played it that the PWM scattered double distance because it only benefits from the parent units LoS if it scores a hit, i rolled an 8 and an arrow so even though I was within 3" of the parent unit because my PWM couldn't see the target itself it scattered double the distance rolled.

Senor
15-04-2013, 11:32
the Skaven book says 'If the target is not visible to the PWM, then the shot will scatter double the distance rolled unless a hit is rolled', the shot scatters double.

underscore
15-04-2013, 12:09
I'm not sure how ambiguous it is. If the PWM can use the unit's line of sight and vision then it can see the unit (in games terms) and so scatters as normal.

FatTrucker
15-04-2013, 13:37
Therein lies the debate. It says it can use the units line of sight, then goes on to say if the target isn't visible to the PWM then it scatters double.
So you can read it that the units line of sight means the PWM can 'see' anything the unit can see. But you can also read it that the units line of sight just means a shot isn't indirect so a hit is a hit but that since the PWM can't see its target directly it still scatters double if scatter is rolled.

underscore
15-04-2013, 14:20
But you can also read it that the units line of sight just means a shot isn't indirect so a hit is a hit but that since the PWM can't see its target directly it still scatters double if scatter is rolled.
I really can't see it. I mean, I can see what you're saying and everything, but if something is visible in a unit's line of sight I can't see any reason to suggest that it has to take an indirect shot, nor a weird mish-mash of direct and indirect rules.

FatTrucker
15-04-2013, 14:50
Thats how I read it, that when its within 3" units LoS= PWM's LoS.
My opponent disagreed and said it should still scatter double unless I rolled a hit. Rather than bog the game down with argument thats what we did, so I thought I would see what other players thoughts were.
Reading through the whole rule it can be interpreted either way dependent on how you interpret 'if the target is not visible to the PWM unless a hit is rolled it will scatter double the distance rolled', along with being able to 'use the parent units LoS'
Its all part of the same special rule so can be read that the units LoS only serves to prevent scatter if you roll a hit.

underscore
15-04-2013, 15:41
I wonder what he things the rule is there for, if they get line of sight but absolutely no use for it?

Clearly you just have the patience of a saint. :)

FatTrucker
15-04-2013, 18:41
Not really, I can kind of see his point. The RAW, does kind of read that using the units line of sight allows a direct hit, even if the PWM is indirect but scatters double if scatter is rolled.
It can also be read the other way too.
If it was under separate headings I would have argued it, but the fact its all written as part of the same special rules section, kind of sways me to thinking he might be correct.
Just wondered how other Skaven players interpret it.