PDA

View Full Version : Using only 6th edition codices | Balanced Meta for competitive play?

RandomThoughts
15-04-2013, 14:17
Let's say we restrict army choices in a league/tournament/gaming group/campain to codices released since 6th edition came out (i.e. Dark Angels, Tau, Chaos Marines, Chaos Demons, and whatever else comes next), do you think this would lead to a mostly balanced meta with interesting challenges for everyone involved?

IcedCrow
15-04-2013, 14:25
Yes yes i do.

Scammel
15-04-2013, 14:30
I think Tau would have a very strong showing for their ability to neutralise Heldrakes, Greater Daemons and Marines pretty effectively. They in turn will probably get minced by speedy Daemon lists, but I think overall it'll favour the greyskins.

Nilo
15-04-2013, 15:09
I think that playing 6th edition rules with only 6th edition codices will, by that definition, be well-balanced gaming. However, as things are limited to four 6th ed. codices right now, as soon as someone pinpoints the optimal force for such a small meta (which may be Tau as the last post suggested), that force is going to have a field day and the meta will quickly be as unbalanced as a slugga boy mob embarked on a unicycle.

I for one would like to see GW update every codex and revise every F.A.Q. for every army before 7th edition shows its' ugly head. Unprecedented and unlikely as this may be due to the community's overwhelming desire for "shiny new stuff," they've actually done quite well in regards to how quickly 6th. edition content is being released. So hopefully we'll see a relatively well balanced 40k universe before too long.

Dark_Kindred
15-04-2013, 15:18
Yes. I also think that competitive re-balancing would not be as serious an issue because anyone who would agree to something like this is interested in fair play.

Starchild
15-04-2013, 18:45
I'd have to add Dark Eldar to the mix of balanced-for-6th-edition codices. They really don't have much that the 6th edition codices can't handle, and their aircraft aren't overly broken either.

Iron_Lord
15-04-2013, 18:51
Might the sheer fragility of their vehicles, make Dark Eldar "underpowered for 6e"?