PDA

View Full Version : Raven Guard fluff question

mfv
15-04-2013, 21:25
Hey so I was wondering does any one know what the RG are based on ( space wolve are vikings ultras romans and so on ) sorry if this was covered elyse where, thanks.

Bigglesworth
15-04-2013, 21:53
Hey so I was wondering does any one know what the RG are based on ( space wolve are vikings ultras romans and so on ) sorry if this was covered elyse where, thanks.

Well not all the 40k fluff is so directly inspired, IIRC in some of the older fluff there are one or two cheeky references to Edgar Alan Poe's poem "The Raven" though they are not based on a poem!

They are always portrayed as very stealthy and pragmatic with their tactics, though sometimes the "Raven" part of their name comes out more literally with them wearing bird skull totems and black feathers, though I'm not quite sure how that fits in with their non superstitious nature.

So other than various guerilla fighters and stealthy warriors from history there's no simple "Romans, Genghis Khan, Vikings" Label you can give them.

mfv
15-04-2013, 22:25
Ohhh Thank you sir.

SardaukarPrimus
16-04-2013, 04:48
This is a long stretch but at one point I heard an theory that the Raven Guard was very very loosely based on the Black Army lead by the Hungarian King Matthias Corvinus.

Polaria
16-04-2013, 06:59
They are always portrayed as very stealthy and pragmatic with their tactics, though sometimes the "Raven" part of their name comes out more literally with them wearing bird skull totems and black feathers, though I'm not quite sure how that fits in with their non superstitious nature.

They are "less superstitious" than average Imperial, which still means they are a lot more superstitious, than modern westerners ;)

Well, actually the more recent Black Library stuff explains the totems as concrete tokens of some achievement. For example the small raven skulls come from a test each Raven Guard acolyte must take before he gets promoted to a Scout. He must stalk and kill a raven in forests of Deliverance without any tools or weapons, thus demonstarting skills in hunting, stealth and fast reactions.

The big skulls and the feathers and sometimes even wings used by higher ranking officers are sign of succeeding in a much harder test where you have to hunt and kill one of the Deliverances Great Ravens naked and without any help at all. Its worth noting that the Great Ravens are very intelligent predators fully capable of snatching a full-grown astartes off the ground and eating him ;)

So other than various guerilla fighters and stealthy warriors from history there's no simple "Romans, Genghis Khan, Vikings" Label you can give them.

Deliverance is actually a very high-tech planet and has been one for tens of thousands of years, so there are no real "primitive" influences in Raven Guards. Most of not even all Raven Guard are recruited from hivegangs. For example Kayvaan Shrike was mentioned to have been some sort of messenger runner or courier for one of the organized crime syndicates before he was recruited. Of course he was just a young boy then.

Bigglesworth
16-04-2013, 15:38
They are "less superstitious" than average Imperial, which still means they are a lot more superstitious, than modern westerners ;)

Deliverance is actually a very high-tech planet and has been one for tens of thousands of years, so there are no real "primitive" influences in Raven Guards. Most of not even all Raven Guard are recruited from hivegangs. For example Kayvaan Shrike was mentioned to have been some sort of messenger runner or courier for one of the organized crime syndicates before he was recruited. Of course he was just a young boy then.

Or rather Kiavahr is, Deliverance is still just an airless moon orbiting Kiavhar where the raven spire is based. I imagine some of the influences and extensive recruitment from Kiavahr were things that happened during the time after the heresy since Corax was not much of a fan of Kiavhar given what they were responsible for and new recruits were mostly from the former slaves.

Though until Forge World give us a heresy book featuring the Raven Guard (book 3?) we don't know much about what they were like before Corax was found so its harder to chart their changes over time.

mfv
17-04-2013, 05:24
Wow a lot of great replies thahk yoy all.