PDA

View Full Version : Advise as I go! :)

Tommie Soule
16-04-2013, 19:09
Hi guys I thought It would be wise if i shared my Pestilens wip thread here in the hope i can get some army building and tactics advice as i build it :)

POXCRATCH'S HORDE HERE (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?368911-Poxcratch-s-Pestilens)

Captain Collius
16-04-2013, 20:29
Plague monks are Fun and pretty competitive.

Stormvermin hit hard.

You are going to need Warp lightning Cannons, Doomwheels and Hellpits.

AND MOAR RATS.

Also I am extremely jealous of your painting ability

Tommie Soule
23-04-2013, 09:49
Thanks dood :) I am going for 1k first.What load out do you think I soul give my plague priest?Plus I added pics of a Bsb to my wip thread. Let me know what you thinkT

Horus38
25-04-2013, 03:53
Props on your painting, a very clean and crisp presentation. It's easy to be more messy/lazy with Skaven.

death tail
25-04-2013, 11:12
you could stick him on a plague furnace (i would deffo give him skalm) and have around 40 to 50 monks pushing him. if you only want pestilens units then you could take lord skrolk so plague monks count as core with a couple of plague censer bearer units. i used a converted plague priest as skrolk til i found one.

as a fellow skaven player ill follow your posts and see how your gettin on. im just over half way through painting my horde but ive got 10,000+ points lol

boli
25-04-2013, 13:24
as a fellow skaven player ill follow your posts and see how your gettin on. im just over half way through painting my horde but ive got 10,000+ points lol

Bah and no plog? ;) ~ 9.5k Skaven myself and only ~25% finished (another 10% in progress)

One thing to note is that a plague priest is actually pretty tough in combat, toughness 5 and unusual for a mage 3 attacks as well; also your spells are pretty short range so you'll want to push him forwards ASAP, only two wounds and no armour however so Skam is a very good idea.

Plague monks in general have an average strength, average initiative and an average weapon skill; what this translates to in the "real world" is if you face something with toughness 4 your 51 attacks (horde formation, full command) only translates to ~8 wounds. I am not saying they are bad; in fact they are good for skaven its just what is good for skaven is not necessarily good for other armies.

HOWEVER plague priest magic actually beautifully compliments plague monks, reducing the enemies toughness and giving out poison attacks can significantly increase the causalities caused by your Plague monks; especially against higher toughness foes (such as Dwarves). Wither is also fantastic as it makes your plague-claw catapults (large template, S2) much more effective. Out of the list I say Wither is the strongest spell when combined with your army; if you are lucky enough to roll wither and plague leading wityh plague to make your opponent waste his dispel dice is a good tatic.

It'll be hard to get a fully synergy list up with pestilence until you reach ~1,500 points; even if you possess the spells / units you'll find you are pretty locked down in the magic phase. Skrolk really opens up the options but at 470 points it is only for 2k+ games.

Borgomos
25-04-2013, 14:03
I fail to see the point in Skrolk really. He is way too expensive for a character with no save, and since he has no save you won't be sending him into melee a lot, which is even worse, because as a backyard caster he is even more outrageously priced. I would rather fill the core with clanrats\slaves. We are not really hard pressed in special choices anyway, mostly it is Monks and some Gutter Runners.

As for your Plague Priest, in low games where he is your main caster you can bump him to lvl 2, give him a cheap and efficient flail, and maybe buy him a 5+ Ward so he doesn't pop too fast.When(If) you get a Grey Seer you can just drop him onto the Lvl1 + Flail + Dispel Scroll status with the optional Flague Furnace.

You seem to like Rat Ogres a lot. If you ever want to field 5+ of those fellows, you can invest with a Sqweel Gnawtooth, who can grant them a Regeneration save(it sticks after he dies too!), Extra attacks, or Poison.

And yes, more rats. 80 Slave\Clanrats minimum is a nice goal for starters.

death tail
29-04-2013, 07:37
Bah and no plog? ;) ~ 9.5k Skaven myself and only ~25% finished (another 10% in progress)One thing to note is that a plague priest is actually pretty tough in combat, toughness 5 and unusual for a mage 3 attacks as well; also your spells are pretty short range so you'll want to push him forwards ASAP, only two wounds and no armour however so Skam is a very good idea.Plague monks in general have an average strength, average initiative and an average weapon skill; what this translates to in the "real world" is if you face something with toughness 4 your 51 attacks (horde formation, full command) only translates to ~8 wounds. I am not saying they are bad; in fact they are good for skaven its just what is good for skaven is not necessarily good for other armies.HOWEVER plague priest magic actually beautifully compliments plague monks, reducing the enemies toughness and giving out poison attacks can significantly increase the causalities caused by your Plague monks; especially against higher toughness foes (such as Dwarves). Wither is also fantastic as it makes your plague-claw catapults (large template, S2) much more effective. Out of the list I say Wither is the strongest spell when combined with your army; if you are lucky enough to roll wither and plague leading wityh plague to make your opponent waste his dispel dice is a good tatic.It'll be hard to get a fully synergy list up with pestilence until you reach ~1,500 points; even if you possess the spells / units you'll find you are pretty locked down in the magic phase. Skrolk really opens up the options but at 470 points it is only for 2k+ games.now ive got away of uploading photo,s (new phone) ill start my plog before the week is out. its hard to stop with this army

Soulless
29-04-2013, 07:41
arghh dude what did you conver those rat ogres from - they look tasty - i would die for GW to make normal ones like your - pretty pretty pretty - now you made rat in me jalous ;(