PDA

View Full Version : Using Malekith the witch king in a Dark Elf army advice

LordofShadows
17-04-2013, 16:16
So I was looking through my Dark elves book the other day and as I havent fully painted my dark elf army I thought about painting them as Malekiths personal army from Naggarond. Then I thought about taking Malekith as he does seem pretty boss for his points. What unit does he work best in (I know hes alot of points and doesent have access to the best lores but I quite like Dark Magic if im honest)

Mars
17-04-2013, 19:41
he's pretty expensive, for the points you can get a fully outfitted lvl 4 with Dagger or whatever, as well as a maxed out Dreadlord (with 1+ rerollable save and a 2+ Ward Save most of the time) and have points to spare

things to watch for:
- magic cannon balls and warplightning cannons, although they can only do a single wound on him
- magic weapons, although he will potentially destroy any magic weapon before it gets to hit him
- he will laugh when facing some monsters, and get instantly crushed by others

plus points:
- his ability to destroy magic items and reduce magic levels can be extremely useful
- with a 2+ ward save he can be golden against certain specific units
- also take a low level Sorceress with a dispel scroll, when the enemy throws a lot of dice for a spell against him you have a serious chance of killing the caster outright
- try to give him Soul Stealer, with up to 6 regenerating wounds he can go a long way

in conclusion, he's tricky to use, a Dragon might be the best option to make most of his raw power to hit where it hurts the most, but then we're talking 4000 points games, and that's an insane amount of points for a character with such bad survivability
also remember that you cast everything but magic missiles while you're in combat, which is 4 out of 6 Dark Magic spells

sulla
20-04-2013, 00:06
Best advise; Use him in storm of magic.

In normal games, he's a mage limited to dark magic (which is pretty poor vs anything that doesn't field a lot of light infantry/cav) and a fighter who has only a 4+ save and no protection vs magic weapons, all at a premium price higher than a stubborn pegasus master and a dagger sorceress. Plus, he's probably gonna be fielded in a fragile unit of black guard or corsairs... so you have a guy who probably doesn't want to be in combat in a combat unit.

But in SoM, you have a nigh invincible god on a fulcrum; 3++ ward, MR2, kills any mage who tries to knock him off his fulcrum with his spellshield, is tough enough to hold his fulcrum in cc and doesn't need to rely on dark magic because he has great cantrips too. I haven't lost a game of SoM with Malekith yet...

Chicago Slim
28-04-2013, 02:23
Do not put him on the same table as Tyrion.

Seriously, I knew a guy in our local group who spent a couple of months talking repeatedly about how he hated how expensive Malekith is, because you can't even field him at less than 4000 points. And then he put up a challenge for a 4000 point game...

I took the bait, and ran the numbers. As I recall it, Tyrion expects to kill Malekith during the first round of combat, over 40% of the time. If he doesn't pull that off on round one, then there's a decent chance that he gets nerfed by Malekith destroying his magic weapon, or his magic armor (which is slightly less problematic: if Tyrion gets a second round with his magic weapon, he's got another 40ish% chance, or better if he wounded by did not outright kill on round 1).

Given Tyrion's 9" move, it's very, very difficult to keep Malekith away from him (particularly if you want Malekith doing anything of use).

sulla
29-04-2013, 06:33
Do not put him on the same table as Tyrion.

Seriously, I knew a guy in our local group who spent a couple of months talking repeatedly about how he hated how expensive Malekith is, because you can't even field him at less than 4000 points. And then he put up a challenge for a 4000 point game...

I took the bait, and ran the numbers. As I recall it, Tyrion expects to kill Malekith during the first round of combat, over 40% of the time. If he doesn't pull that off on round one, then there's a decent chance that he gets nerfed by Malekith destroying his magic weapon, or his magic armor (which is slightly less problematic: if Tyrion gets a second round with his magic weapon, he's got another 40ish% chance, or better if he wounded by did not outright kill on round 1).

Given Tyrion's 9" move, it's very, very difficult to keep Malekith away from him (particularly if you want Malekith doing anything of use)....There's a tiny chance that Malekith destroys the sunfang.

He has to hit. That's 4's with rerolls, so he should do that ok. Then he has to roll a 4+. From experience, it's quite possible to fail this 2 phases in a row. Then he has to roll the sword randomly out of tyrion's 3 items.

As for actually killing Tyrion, that's just about impossible. If you destroy the sword (best case scenario), you are hitting on 4's, wounding on 2's and then he saves on a 3+ fllowed by a 4++. Destroy the armour and you are wounding on 2's, and he still regens on 4's. Destroy the heart of Avelorn (the booby prize) and you have not helped yourself in the slightest.

The other big problem is that your unit is probably dieing in droves around you because mally's mount options are just a little too expensive for a standard sized battle.

Best place for Malekith on foot is probably in a unit of shades with a rending star assassin on the fringes of the enemy lines making a nuicance of themselves IMO.

Mullitron
29-04-2013, 08:06
Sadly despite being one of the better characters for his background, rules wise he's a bit hit and miss. I do like Sulla's idea of putting him in a unit of shades, but personally since by taking Malekith your not really going for what's particularly efficient I would shove him in a unit of black guard. Fits background wise as potential bodyguard, being stubbon they shouldnt be running away and loose you malekith from a unlucky leadership test, all whilst he protects them from magic. You could shove an assassin in there to weaken potential character threats.

ClementaRossi
29-04-2013, 12:26
Use of creative assassins in the right places is the trick we need to master. :D rihanna boyfriend list (http://www.ranker.com/list/rihanna_s-loves-and-hookups/celebrityhookups)

ClementaRossi
29-04-2013, 13:20
yes it is....