PDA

View Full Version : 2500 High Elves Tournament

sigmarus
18-04-2013, 01:24
I am attending a tournament this weekend, and I came up with the first version of a solid but fairly balanced high elf list. All comments and critiques welcome.

Archmage, 4, book of hoeth (lore of life)

Noble, BSB, dragon armor, great weapon, talisman of protection
Mage, 1, dispel scroll (lore of high magic)

30 Spearmen, FC
34 Spearmen, FC, banner of eternal flame

21 Swordmasters, FC, amulet of light
20 White Lions, FC, skiensliver
13 Phoenix Guard, FC, Banner of Sorcery
Tiranoc Chariot
Tiranoc Chariot

Great Eagle

Total: 2500 points exactly

Noble goes in the spearmen so he can deal damage and be protected. Archmage I was thinking of putting in the Phoenix guard for a protective bunker, but thats risky. Other mage will go with the swordmasters to give them a 5+ ward save probably.

Sh4d0w
18-04-2013, 10:54
I am attending a tournament this weekend, and I came up with the first version of a solid but fairly balanced high elf list. All comments and critiques welcome.

Archmage, 4, book of hoeth (lore of life)

Noble, BSB, dragon armor, great weapon, talisman of protection
Mage, 1, dispel scroll (lore of high magic)

30 Spearmen, FC

21 Swordmasters, FC, amulet of light
20 White Lions, FC, skiensliver
13 Phoenix Guard, FC, Banner of Sorcery
Tiranoc Chariot
Tiranoc Chariot

Great Eagle

Total: 2500 points exactly

Noble goes in the spearmen so he can deal damage and be protected. Archmage I was thinking of putting in the Phoenix guard for a protective bunker, but thats risky. Other mage will go with the swordmasters to give them a 5+ ward save probably.

There is nothing balanced about the book of hoeth :/ But the rest of it is ok

sigmarus
18-04-2013, 17:23
True, I agree the book is not a balanced item. The rest of the list i felt was balanced, although I am worried the small unit sizes won't last until the end of each battle. Here is an updated list - it should win most battles, but it is quite mean.

Archmage, 4, book of hoeth (lore of shadow)

Noble, BSB, banner of the world dragon, dragon armor, great weapon
Mage, 2, dispel scroll (lore of life)

30 Spearmen, FC

35 White lions, FC, banner of sorcery, amulet of light
14 Phoenix Guard, FC, skiensliver
Tiranoc Chariot
Tiranoc Chariot

Great Eagle
Great Eagle

Essentially a deathstar unit. Archmage and Noble go with white lions. mage goes with spearmen.

Sackree
19-04-2013, 00:41
The BSB is incredibly squishy, if you want him to add a punch to the spears you have to tool him up so he wont get slaughtered. Banner of the world dragon does not seem to benefit this list heavily so I would drop it in favour of armour of caledor and a dawnstone on the BSB to give him a +2 rerollable. Combined with ASF and S6 this guy will now pull his weight in combat.

Banner of eternal flame is better on the white lions because any of the major threats that have regeneration wont be hurt by the spearelves due to their low strength anyway.
For this reason, I would bump the banner of sorcery over to the phoenix guard bunker.

The level 2 mage's lore is suboptimal as well. Life only really shines as a lore the more spells you have access to. You also won't have too much power dice left to use those spells either as they will all be being thrown at shadow spells. For this reason I would suggest taking High magic on him due to it's versatility, good sig spell and low casting cost. The only reason I don't recommend dropping him entirely is because a dispel scroll is very important in tournaments.

Finally I really don't rate the book, it leaves your very expensive mage completely unprotected, if you want to take the book I would drop one of the spear blocks for archers so that you are able to keep him out of combat. If you don't want to take archers I would drop the book for Folariaths robes and the talisman of saphery to keep him protected in combat. Otherwise you will always have to keep one of your units out of combat in order to protect him.

Moss
19-04-2013, 00:53
Maybe I'm missing something, but I never understood why people put their mages with their spearmen. As soon as the unit sees combat, your mage is going to die. I agree with Sackree that you should either give him protective gear (which means you'd have to drop the book), or put him in a sizeable archer bunker. Maybe something like 14-20 archers that aren't too vulnerable to panic and have enough shots/attacks to deter charges from the types of units that can probably reach them.

sigmarus
19-04-2013, 03:45
Very good point with rearranging the magic banners in the units. I like both high magic and lore of life for the lvl2 mage because of the signature spells.

Normally I take a bsb with a 2+ armor and a 4+ ward, but banner of the world dragon makes this unit immune to all magic, and their cloaks protect them from some shooting. that, and being stubborn in combat, means that the unit should never really lose. It has been fairly effective in the past.

I could think about some archers. I am just used to taking spearmen blocks as elf archers seem overpriced.

thank you for your comments.

Sackree
19-04-2013, 04:12
Just remember that banner of the world dragon also means that your buff spells such as +5 regen on WL's will not work as it makes them immune to ALL magic. Both friendly and enemy magic.

sigmarus
19-04-2013, 15:01
very true. but this is why the shadow archmage goes in there. to cast things like pit of shades or withering on enemy units, or mindrazor on a friendly spearmen regiment. The little mage with the 5+ ward will give the saves to the spearmen units.