PDA

View Full Version : Do you use 2nd hand models?

Ruination Drinker
18-04-2013, 03:04
I love the smell of new models in the morning. That said, money has been tight in the U.S. for almost a decade now. I've pretty much resigned myself that I will never own a house where I can have my own personal model workshop out back (well, that and many many other things).

So when it comes to 40K, my wife says it's ok as a hobby to keep me out of the bars as long as it doesn't end up costing me the same that I'd be spending if was barhopping, wrecking the car, and paying criminal damages (j/k I always take a cab). That means getting the best deal when I can on my 40k stuff. I love to buy at the FLGS, and I always buy my paints and codex's there.

But what about models? I've benefited from many a weekend warrior that was just dabbling and now wants to get out. I always love that look the manager gives me when I show up with so and so's army, and I just shrug.

Some of the guys back at my original store would have looked down at me for bringing in a second hand army, but where I'm at now, pretty much everyone understands that cash is tight and we're all supporting the game however much we can.

Where do you sort in, and what are your thoughts on 2nd hand merchandise?

Ssilmath
18-04-2013, 03:10
Approximately 2/3 of my Space Marines and 1/2 of my Guard were bought second hand or traded for. I think that it is best to support your local store, but there's nothing wrong with taking a good deal. Now, I've always stripped and painted them up in my own colors, and made sure to make most of my purchases through the FLGS. But if you showed up with an army I knew was second hand, I wouldn't blink an eye.

That said, I can see some people having an issue. This is especially true if the FLGS is small and/or having financial issues of its own.

NemoSD
18-04-2013, 03:26
I buy second hand whenever possible. With over 5k invested into the hobby, my local store and GW have their share of my non-income. I still buy new stuff from them, but if I want to say, expand my Guardsmen Infantry, I look first at the LGS consignment shelves for unpainted, or similarly painted models, as I am frankly to lazy to strip :-p. Failing that, I go to the net, and if I feel safe enough, pick up the models, if that doesn't work, then I take turns buying at my LGS or a GW store managed by a friend. (Want to kick the friend money, but the LGS offers a discount, so.... I compromised with paying full price every other model to help out my friend.)

Disposable Hero
18-04-2013, 05:29
Always a good thing to use your common sense...:)

Ebay, off a friend, whatever.

Thorin
18-04-2013, 05:35
Heck, my current 2 biggest armies are 2nd hand and ebay, so I think about 150€ for 3000/up to 6000 points are not that bad, right? ^^
Greetz
Thorin

soul destroyer
18-04-2013, 06:26
If it wasn't for finding a box of random 40k stuff at a carboot sale (a uk only thing?) some years ago i wouldn't be here now.
Although i prefer to buy new when funds allow theres much to be said for the used market and everyone loves a bargin, my IG army would be half the size it is without it.

Polaria
18-04-2013, 06:41
Sure I do. I buy a lot of new stuff, too, but second hand is always an option.

Baneboss
18-04-2013, 06:54
Some of the guys back at my original store would have looked down at me for bringing in a second hand army

Seriously? I hope youre talking about sellers not regular players or perhaps those 2nd hand armies are in such bad condition you dont deserver anything less :P

I collect old metal IG. I wouldnt have half of my models if not 2nd hand.

Valkyrie Sky
18-04-2013, 07:02
I find finecast armies to be a pain to strip, the resin turns perm soft after a soak in simple green.
Its as if finecast was introduced to deter 2nd hand market compared to metal which lasts forever...

Ruination Drinker
18-04-2013, 07:42
Seriously? I hope youre talking about sellers not regular players or perhaps those 2nd hand armies are in such bad condition you dont deserver anything less :P

I collect old metal IG. I wouldnt have half of my models if not 2nd hand.

Well, these guys would have a deep appreciation for any Rogue Trader stuff I brought in (except for the tiny Ork Deffdreads of course!) and squats and old vehicles, beakies, etc... but yes they got uptight if they saw a person that showed up with new stuff week after week that wasn't bought at the store.

Of course this is also a really rich neighborhood in Los Angeles too, so go figure.

ehlijen
18-04-2013, 07:52
Depends on the quality. Treated well and with easily removed paintjobs, second hand models are a good deal, just rarely come with any of the sprue's options.

Caked in enamel with glue residue, broken bits? No, thanks.

Kijamon
18-04-2013, 07:58
I didn't really assume it was bad form to brag about your second hand buys. My local GW guy is really nice, a great guy but I wouldn't purchase as many models if I only bought new and I'd only have one or two armies. As it stands I can wheel and deal and have loads of armies, I just picked up around 2,000-3,000 points of dark eldar (including 6 venoms) for 90 ($130ish). If I know I can sell it on and make money if it turns out I don't like the army then I will usually go for it any way. I will then buy the codex, paints and maybe an extra unit from my local store.

I might need to start keeping my big mouth shut in my store!

Azulthar
18-04-2013, 08:37
I have a few second-hand models. Not particularly proud of them, or ashamed. Honestly, I'm not even a 100% sure which models are second-hand anymore. Don't quite know where that puts me on the poll :)

Angelwing
18-04-2013, 08:40
Certainly do buy second hand. In fact I've just finished painting some spike rifle gaunts and started building a zoanthrope with a lictor on the way, all ebay rescues.
Total proportion is around is probably about 2/3rds new to 1/3rd second hand, but that ratio will shift more to second hand as the only new stuff now will be tyranid new releases.

Szalik
18-04-2013, 08:43
When I was beginning my hobby, most of my stuff was bought from LGS - more than 90% of my SoB. Then, when I started collecting SM, rate of second hand models raised to about 40% (still most of my SM vehicles is from LGS apart from an old LS and one Vindicator).

On the other hand, my IG is mostly second hand except 20 cadians and Shadowsword is purely second hand, mainly because I was lucky getting them for a really low price.

My CSM and GK (my newest additions) are more or less 50% of new LSG bought stuff and second hand models (mainly because of Dark Vengeance).

When I scout online auctions I aim for unusual single models, especially those that I always wanted as a kid. At the moment I do not buy any more, because I have enough to paint for the next year or more. Also the prices on the new models are high, the only release I consider buying at the moment is SoB (if they ever come).

Harwammer
18-04-2013, 09:11
Maybe your FLGS should try to profit off the 2nd hand market?

Leeman Russ
18-04-2013, 09:15
I don't have issue with 2nd hand models - I prefer new if only because I like to build and pose the models myself (some 2nd hand models, while a bargain, are posed so badly that they look awful, regardless of whether they have any paint on them or not). I've picked up 2nd hand 'new on sprue' type listings before, but never pre-built models (unless they were 1-piece metals). Until recently I staunchly supported my FLGS, although situations have changed and I can't afford to buy as much as I used to (saving for a wedding will do that to the disposable income I guess!)

Wolf Lord Balrog
18-04-2013, 09:17
I don't have anything against buying model's second-hand, I just haven't done it yet. I have an old metal Ork Dreadnought that a friend gave me a long time ago (even though I don't play Orks), and I've got the odd figure or three in my Tau and Space Wolves that I got by trading bits. Everything else was purchased new from one FLGS or another.

ORicK
18-04-2013, 09:18
I collect since 1990 and most models i have are new, but i regularly buy 2nd hand armies to extend armies i have or start new ones.
Since i collect and play prices have gone up all the time and often way faster than inflation.

Many players HAVE to buy a new army with a new codex and after a year you get the army, often even unpainted, for 50% or less of the price.
By now I have most armies and often add to armies by buying good deals when the first "frenzy" of a new codex/armybook has worn off, it always does.
And the last few years there is a higher than usual number of people that quit playing because of the cost of the hobby (and the crisis), so there are even more armies for sale.

I usually get good deals because of 3 things:
1) Patience: sometimes i wait a long time (can be years) untill i see what i want. Wanting something NOW usually costs you more money
2) I usually buy (small) armies, not units or models. In large amounts you get way better deals. You DO have to be able to spent more money at once, but will spent a lot less in the long run
3) High starting bid: i never bid too low, most sellers usually accept my starting bid and so both parties are content

ORicK
18-04-2013, 09:19
Oh... an important addition: i NEVER use/field 2nd models the way i buy them.
I will always (re)paint them.

Horus Lupercal
18-04-2013, 09:24
The only things I but from GW now days are : codex/army book, paint, brushes and books.

I get all my models from eBay. I'm good at stripping paint so I don't care about the condition.

I got 30 cadian guardsmen, 4 weapons teams and a lord commissar for 19.

Once stripped they are now painted and you could never tell they were ever painted. Bargain.

ugavine
18-04-2013, 10:43
Most of my 40K models are bought new direct from GW. I really have no issues with GW or their prices. But if I see a bargain I'll take it. Most of my Ork boys are AoBR bought off eBay and I have a few other random figure bought second hand. I usually only buy second hand if they are unassembled or at least unpainted and no more than 50% of retail price.

Harwammer
18-04-2013, 10:50
I don't have issue with 2nd hand models - I prefer new if only because I like to build and pose the models myself (some 2nd hand models, while a bargain, are posed so badly that they look awful, regardless of whether they have any paint on them or not).

Agreed with you here Lemon. Most 2nd hand figures have to go onto the operating table before they can be allowed on the painting/gaming tables.

Vomikron Noxis
18-04-2013, 11:13
Almost my entire collection has been amassed by trawling eBay for more hours than I'd care to mention... The only things I've bought new are my codices and my heldrakes...

Hengist
18-04-2013, 11:17
Second-hand all the way. Once you've learned how to strip plastic without damaging it, there's no good reason not to enjoy the vast discount made available by the constant flood of teenagers bored with Warhammer after six months and selling their stuff on eBay.

Edit: The only things I wouldn't buy second-hand are finecast models... but then I wouldn't buy them new either.

Kakapo42
18-04-2013, 11:37
I actually take some pride in not having a single 2nd hand model in any of my armies (well, except for a Sniper Drone team, but I don't really field them and never got around to fully painting them, so they don't count. The antennas came in useful for conversions though). I very much like to buy my models new, mostly because I like putting them together myself, but also to be sure they're of a reasonable quality (if they've been miscast I can always contact customer service and send them back for a replacement), and to support my local store. :)

Of course, the other reason why I like to get my models new is that I can really make them mine, and no-one else's. I really feel extremely attached to each and everyone of them, because I've been with them all from the start.

EDIT: That being said, I have absolutely no problems with facing someone who has a mostly 2nd hand force, just that I myself prefer to get models new.

Hendarion
18-04-2013, 11:46
I'm buying a lot 2nd hand. Plastic still in sprues or metal minis which will get stripped and painted. No Finecast, no painted or assembled plastics.

samzor
18-04-2013, 12:08
Yes Most are metal from ebay, trades with disgruntled GW gamers or Trades for commissions i do.

However

I do buy new on rarely. Plastic only and often spend commission credit to discount the cost.

inevitably this brings up the question of finecast: Dont really like it helped a friend assemble an army of finecast: it takes less time to strip paint from a plastic/metal mini than fill in bubbles, try to un bend (and get it to stay that way) weapons like swords.

Dryaktylus
18-04-2013, 12:09
I'm buying a lot 2nd hand. Plastic still in sprues or metal minis which will get stripped and painted. No Finecast, no painted or assembled plastics.

Mostly the same here, though I don't mind unpainted Finecast and plastik bitz.

I buy codices, paints and plastic boxes in my FLGS and sometimes MO only stuff from GW.

totgeboren
18-04-2013, 12:14
At first I thought "Nope, I like to assemble from the sprues myself", but then I realised at least a fourth of the infantry in my CSM army used to belong to my brother, whom sold his CSM to me.
I haven't bought anything second hand online though, and I seldom buy from GW directly (if I wanted to pay that much, Id buy FW who somehow manage to sell resin models that don't have air bubbles all over).

It would need to be a pretty paintjob for me to not repaint a model I bought second hand. I don't mind other people buying painted second hand and playing with, as I much prefer that over playing with unpainted models. not everyone likes painting (though I really enjoy it).

colonel kane trine
18-04-2013, 14:37
Ive spent maybe 80 on my 7k necron army.
Mates selling up and doing commissions has pretty much got me the lot

Ozendorph
18-04-2013, 15:36
I don't buy a ton of second-hand models, though I've had plenty given to me for one reason or another. I have zero problem with players buying used kits...that's just the reality of durable goods. It is always important, however, to contribute towards your FLGS if you're lucky enough to have a good 'un.

Importman
18-04-2013, 15:47
I love second hand stuff! That special feeling when you see badly painted and roughly put together stuff being "reborn" into something cool is just amazing.

Of course buying new stuff is great too but yeah I like second hand stuff more and more as I got older and improved painting skills than before.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Horus38
18-04-2013, 16:27
I'm a big fan of 2nd hand stuff. However, I'm in a pretty sweet spot right now in that my local hobby store does 25% off the whole order if you get three or more boxes (free shipping of course) :)

Konovalev
18-04-2013, 16:58
Anyone who would admonish you for buying 2nd hand rather than new from GW/FLGS is a zealot. If they're so concerned about how new your models are, ask them to cover the difference between retail and what you would have paid 2nd hand next time you buy something.

stroller
18-04-2013, 18:26
I have both. I hve a fair mix of new, second hand still on the sprue and bought painted. Some get repainted; some don't.

Sir Didymus
18-04-2013, 20:07
I've bought a few, but I always end up disappointed. Now I only buy unused sprues - assembling and posing models is half the fun :)

Sternguard777
18-04-2013, 21:59
I'm fine with it since on the tabletop they are indistinguishable so long you make an effort to integrate them to the rest of your force. A full 3rd of my army is hand me downs from a cousin that got me into the game. A couple of minor alterations and they fit right in.
On an unrelated note I think there should be an option in the poll for people who are neutral to thee subject. I voted for option 2 since I have used models, accept other people using them, but don't flaunt them or anything. Yet I am not opposed to bringing them as they are an important part of my army.

Freman Bloodglaive
18-04-2013, 23:21
My Empire army is mainly second hand, although some are NIB like my Ar Ulric (arch lector on foot). A couple of old mini steam tanks, a lot of old 5th edition spearmen converted to have halberds. Metal greatswords, a bunch of knights bought on sprue.

TheDungen
18-04-2013, 23:28
I only buy new stuff if its something that is impossible or very hard to find second hand. I go on tradera every once in a while and place all the intresting stuff on my watch list then when the time is about to run out it reminds me and I decide if the price is worth it or not, (usually its not and I let it slide). Buying second hand is about patience.

Does everyone find stipping finecast to be so hard I have a few models bought second hand that I haven't got around to stripping yet, good ol gasoline (petroleum ether?) wont do the trick?

Ad-Hoc
19-04-2013, 00:46
My Guard use the Necromunda Cawdor and Redemptionist figures so second hand is my only choice for certain figures.

Importman
19-04-2013, 01:33
I only buy new stuff if its something that is impossible or very hard to find second hand. I go on tradera every once in a while and place all the intresting stuff on my watch list then when the time is about to run out it reminds me and I decide if the price is worth it or not, (usually its not and I let it slide). Buying second hand is about patience.

Does everyone find stipping finecast to be so hard I have a few models bought second hand that I haven't got around to stripping yet, good ol gasoline (petroleum ether?) wont do the trick?

My suggestion. Do not by Finecast. Period.

Ssilmath
19-04-2013, 01:50
My suggestion. Do not by Finecast. Period.

Not sure why not, every Finecast model I have bought so far has been superior to metal in every way, with no visible bubbling and only needing heating up a sword to bend it back into place. I could see not buying Finecast second hand, as I'm inclined to believe that it (Like most resins I have dealt with) doesn't handle paint stripper (Or Simple Green) very well. Now, I refrained from buying an Finecast for the first year, as I expected there to be hiccups in the process. But it's been nothing but good for me.

Now, to actually be on topic...For quite a few people I have known, second hand armies were their very first 40k army. Somebody was moving onto another army, and somebody that was interested in starting out playtested their army a few times. The store owner couldn't have been more happy, he got the sales of a whole new army anyways and got another customer buying 40k to expand their second hand army.

-Totenkopf-
19-04-2013, 03:59
I have well over 8000 points of Eldar that I am into for MAYBE 250 - 300 bucks.. I have had to strip and repair a lot of models but I think themy army looks fantastic.. No one would be able to to that half the models looked like they were painted by two year olds at one point in their lives..

about 4k in Lizardmen that I am 250 dollars into

and 6k of Tombkings for about 400.. Most of this army was NIB stuff at online discount rates..

mongoosedog300
19-04-2013, 07:23
No problems from me. My marines are a mix of new, stolen from my brother who stopped playing, and a few choice purchases off ebay. Everyone I know who plays now has done the same thing, and so has my brother and all his friends who taught me how to play. I always convert/paint/repaint what I bought to fit the army of course.

On the issue of finecast....anyone else hate that models don't have weight to them now? I want my dreds and special characters to be metal dammit!

Kakapo42
19-04-2013, 07:59
On the issue of finecast....anyone else hate that models don't have weight to them now? I want my dreds and special characters to be metal dammit!

+1. I love the weighty powerful feel of metal models, and as a very tactile person how something feels can be very important to me at times (which, as an aside, is also the reason I still prefer CDs over downloads and MP3s).

Sureshot05
19-04-2013, 08:06
My spending is about 90% second hand, 10% new (but not necessarily GW). The smell of dettol drives my partner up the wall but it's all part of the process of reclaiming the old models. Like many have said above, I don't buy fine cast, and I won't be buying it second hand either. I suspect that nothing will take the paint off of those models without damaging them.

ORicK
19-04-2013, 10:33
I actually don't like stripping paint off plastic OR metal miniatures. I rather pay a bit more or wait for something that is not painted or only in colours that i can use as a base colour.
Finecast is another topic, but it's related i think. Because you cannot stripp the paint off, they are hard to sell 2nd hand, which is better for sales of character and special models in the long run.
But for me, untill now, it means i use the metal versions of the models (i had anyway or that i can find 2nd hand) or make my characters with the plastics, better value for money. There will come a day that i will have to choose between Finecast and not having models, but because i too don't like how light they are, don't like how hard it is to fix them if they break and above all don't like the price of Finecast, i suspect that this will not even then lead to a lot of Finecast buys for me.

murgel2006
19-04-2013, 20:31
My ambition is to field armies with models of all releases, if they are still feasible AND are not ugly.
Thus I have to buy 2nd hand and new.
It just looks great to have 3 different models of a biovore or units of 2nd, 3rd and 4th edition Banshees or some old Termagaunts hidden within a unit of modern ones. Makes an army a memorable thing and optically interesting.