PDA

View Full Version : When do you declare a charge?

MLP
18-04-2013, 10:27
So just out of interest I want to know how close to the enemy you like to get before declaring a charge and maybe an explanation of your reasons.

Feel free to post for different unit types with:

Standard 2d6+M charge
Swiftstride 2/3d6+M charge
Cavalry 3d6+M? charge

tmarichards
18-04-2013, 12:23
I usually weigh up the risk against reward.

I usually plan on being able to roll 1 below average and still make it in, so M+6" (for standard movement) for a lot of charges that I'm very keen to get in- if it's a bit further than that, I'm more likely to throw more chaff in the way and bide my time for a bit if a failed charge will leave me exposed. If there's no real downside I'll usually take a M+8" charges, but much more than that and I'm better off just pushing forwards. However, I do play with an army (WE) that either doesn't often get benefits from charging because all my stuff is rubbish, or doesn't get mind if it gets charged (Stubborn Treemen). As a result, most of the charges I go for tend to be high reward, little risk flank charges or late-game snipe attempts.

With regards to getting flyers engaged, these are charges I'm usually very keen to get off into war machines etc, and I'll usually view 19" as a fairly easily obtainable distance.

Alternatively, if there's a big reward on the line (like a wounded mage) I'll quite happily go for all the double 6 charges I can get.

yeknoMehT
18-04-2013, 12:52
So just out of interest I want to know how close to the enemy you like to get before declaring a charge and maybe an explanation of your reasons.

Feel free to post for different unit types with:

Standard 2d6+M charge
Swiftstride 2/3d6+M charge
Cavalry 3d6+M? charge

Generally speaking, if I'm charging with a single unit without swiftstride, I'll aim around M+6" as well. If I'm trying to get a multiple charge where I actually need all the units in, I might try and get it to M+5" instead where possible. If I'm charging with multiple units and don't need all of them to make it I'll probably go for a M+8".

With swiftstride units, I'll typically go for M+8" or M+9" - I play occasionally with Bretonnians, so the double lance combo charge usually I'll be looking to get the charge at roughly 16-17". Longer charges can be ok too - if you're lucky you'll get an early charge, if not, you're probably still out of easy charge range for a countercharge by infantry.

Lord Inquisitor
18-04-2013, 13:01
Average for 2D6 is 7 and for 3D6 is 9. I like to get it at average or below, but as tmarichards says, it depends on the risk vs reward. A speculative charge needing an 11 or 12 is fine if the failed charge is where I want to be anyway and carries little risk.

Vipoid
18-04-2013, 14:05

With my VCs, ideally M+6, or M+7/8 (if swiftstride).

However, it depends a lot on my opponent, the situation etc.

For example:

- If they're likely to charge me, then I might decide not to charge at all - even if I'm in the above range, and simply move close to them instead. That way, they'll (hopefully) charge me, and I'll then have my magic phase before the next combat to buff/repair my unit as necessary.

- If my squad is taking damage from range/magic, I might try a more ambitious charge - especially if the unit is unlikely to survive another turn.

- Similarly, if they have a powerful buff on the charge (Khorne Daemons, Ogres etc.), then I might also be inclined to attempt an ambitious charge. If I fail, I was probably getting hit anyway (most units have better movement than mine ;)) if I succeed then I've robbed them of a powerful bonus.

Juicy21
18-04-2013, 21:09
My Knight Errant bus + virtue of impetious knight bus made a 26 inch long charge needed a 26 :P Best charge i ever made..:P quit oftopic but had to write it

movement 8 + banner of movement+1 + extra d6 on the charge (rolled a five) +rolled 2 sixes and a 2 for the swiftstride. was AWSOME.....

ontopic: 1 rol lower then average works most of the time:)

King Arthur
19-04-2013, 18:17
As Brets usually get 15" or 16" for my cav usually works for me!!!

MLP
19-04-2013, 18:33
Cheers for the input chaps, reason I asked the question is because I've had a spout of bad luck on charging rolls and want to ensure I'm making the right choice!

You're right about risk vs reward, if it doesn't matter if you get charged if you fail you may as well risk it!

Normal 2d6 charge: go for M+6
Normal 3d6 charge: go for M+8