PDA

View Full Version : Fenrisian wolves?

Rawdogg15
20-04-2013, 11:36
I'm really confused by a disparity between a Quartermaster template that I have and the Space Wolf Codex. In quartermaster, it gives me the option of choosing "the Wolf King's Fenrisian wolves" as a troops slot instead of fast attack, yet I can't find reference to this anywhere in the codex. Is it because canis wolf born is in my army? if so, I can't find this rule on his page. Have I missed it? Is it an update or FAQ? Or is it a problem with the QM template?

Kijamon
20-04-2013, 11:42
Look under the points costs. There's a little box that will say "In an army containing..."

It's very well hidden but yes, you can make Fenrisian Wolves troops choices by picking a certain wolfy character.

cuda1179
21-04-2013, 00:40
Just remember, unlike other codexes, the wolves ARE troops, not "may be" troops. I saw a player in a turnament once that had 7 troops choices because of that. I'm surprised an organiser didn't catch it. I felt a little bad for the guy as he got DQ'ed after I brought it up.

Rawdogg15
21-04-2013, 10:37
The wolves are listed under fast attack. I still can't find anything that says they may be taken as troops. I know they can If Canis is in the army because I've seen it elsewhere on the net but cannot find it in the codex. Can anyone give me a page number?

Kijamon
21-04-2013, 10:41
Look at Canis and his points in the army list.

Malagor
21-04-2013, 10:45
Page 83 under Canis Wolfborn's next to his special rules.
And also correct is that it's not that they may be taken as troops, if you take Canis then they are troops.

Rawdogg15
21-04-2013, 12:03
Found it. Thanks everyone. Sorry if I was being a bit thick there 😳

Definitely going to put together a wolf based list now 😃

Klajorne
21-04-2013, 14:52
Just keep in mind if you take Canis to make the wolves troops, they still cannot claim objectives as per the rule under their own listing. So an all wolf list (fenrisian wolves accompanied by thunderwolf calvary) is possible, but needs traditional troops (grey hunters or blood claws) if you want to win games.

Sent from the future via phonebooth.
Be excellent to each other.

Rawdogg15
21-04-2013, 16:03
Ah, yes, fortunately I really like blood claws (even though they're arguably not as good as grey hunters) so will probably have a squad or two of them in there. I'd like to have wolves accompanying characters where possible too. Of course I could just plan to do a whole table clearance and win that way instead :-)

cuda1179
21-04-2013, 19:33
Just keep in mind if you take Canis to make the wolves troops, they still cannot claim objectives as per the rule under their own listing. So an all wolf list (fenrisian wolves accompanied by thunderwolf calvary) is possible, but needs traditional troops (grey hunters or blood claws) if you want to win games.

I once played devil's advocate and made the argument that that rule only prohibits Fenrisian wolves from claiming objectives, not Cyberwolves. It's not RAI, but RAW if you get the character upgrade they can claim objectives while he is still alive.

Klajorne
21-04-2013, 19:47
While the subpar choice, blood claws definitely have that savage and feral vibe that fits in well with an all wolf list.

druchii
21-04-2013, 21:16

Psh.

I routinely run an all wolf space wolf list with Canis, a wolf lord, runepriest on doggy-cycle, 3x5 thunderwolves and 3x15 fenrisian wolves. In the scouring all of your t-wolves are now scoring, and if you roll the proper personal trait your wolf lord can score!

Also, there ARE secondary objectives like first blood, warlord and linebreaker (the latter two are objectives an all wolf list excels at!), AND you can contest objectives to boot!

I've got a 50/50 win loss percent with them so far.

d

Rawdogg15
23-04-2013, 22:32
List written for 600 point league tournament. Waddya think?

Canis Wolfborn

5 blood claws - one power fist one meltagun

5 fenrisian wolves

3 thunderwolf cavalry - mark of the wolfen.

Vindicator

Strategy: run everything forward afap except the vindicator which will act as a WHFB artillery piece, blasting things from afar. The blood claws will try to sit on any objectives and the rest will try to kill as much as possible in combat.

I know there are several glaring flaws but, considering the point was to get wolfies, actual wolfies into the list, any thoughts or suggestions for tweaks?