PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings second wave WL

daemonish
20-04-2013, 21:17
So the tomb kings where released was a while ago now and yet they are still missing their big monstrous dual kit (Colossus/Heirotitan) and lets face it the old skeletons, tomb scorpion and maybe even the chariots and cavalry need a resculpt also there are special charecters that are yet to be released, does anyone think we will see them as a release this year?

IcedCrow
20-04-2013, 21:36
No. They are not on the known horizon

Spiney Norman
20-04-2013, 21:40
I think there have been rumours that a hierotitan/colossus kit was in the works, although no release date was ever offered or hinted at, as to the rest of it, if tomb kings get any of their plastic core remade before their next army book I'm a monkey's uncle. Replacing plastic core models is not a priority for Gw at the moment, they've had the opportunity to redo some of the oldest, ugliest models in warhammer (high elf spearmen/archers, common goblins and orcs) and have not taken it, I really don't see that they will make an exception for a niche army like TK.

sulla
21-04-2013, 01:47
No way does the scorpion, chariot or cav warrant a resculpt IMO. Even the skellies are serviceable. I'd put them behind common goblins, wolf riders, HE and DE infantry, dwarven core, silver helms, zombies, and dire wolves before plastic tomb skeletons

JWhex
21-04-2013, 05:44
I am just curious does the colossus/heirotitan get a lot of play? No one around here plays the TK. GW did release the gorgon/cygor and no one in their right mind bothers with those models in a serious game.

Mercutius
21-04-2013, 07:26
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I love our TK skittles. And the Scorpion. And the Charriots. In fact, I love the whole range. IMHO still one of the best lookin' army out there.

But I also would love to get the missing models: Titan/Collossus, and all the missing special charakters.

But most of all, I miss a book with a ruleset that would set me on par, from an army strength of view, with all the other 8th Books out there...

Blagan
21-04-2013, 07:29
Scorpions are fine, skeletons and certainly skeleton horses need redoing, they're shockingly poor now. Would love a heirotitan too, wont use it till 9th edition though when hopefully cannons get fixed.

Be nice for the cabinet though and painted ready.

Crovax20
21-04-2013, 12:01
Tomb Kings failed, commercially, I reckon. Look at the digital armybook releases, I believe all of them (new 8th ed ones) had an Ibook released... TK not so much... No second wave either even though its already been a long time since the army got its new book.

Von Wibble
21-04-2013, 12:37
I am just curious does the colossus/heirotitan get a lot of play? No one around here plays the TK. GW did release the gorgon/cygor and no one in their right mind bothers with those models in a serious game.

The colossus isn't very good - too low a WS means you can't rely on getting many kills. Throw Settra into the army and its a different beast altogether however, with WS6 it can rack up plenty of kills. BS is too low to make that bow count - extra hand weapon all the way.

The Heirotitan otoh is a very useful model, I often have one. It provides flaming attacks if you need them, with thunderstomp it can at least hold infantry in place even if it will lose eventually, and the +D3 to casting is very useful, especially if you go for 3 level 2s rather than a level 4 and 2.

If a model came out I would buy 1 for sure - but not 2.

Belakor
21-04-2013, 15:25

In a serious game?

CrystalSphere
21-04-2013, 17:36
Frankly i am worried about the status of Tomb Kings, at this rate of failed expectations (low sales, weak army book, small playerbase) they may as well go the way of the dodo. Perhaps being relegated to a white dwarf list in next edition, like sisters of battle in 40k. I think even chaos dwarfs have generated more interest than them.

ewar
21-04-2013, 22:58
Frankly i am worried about the status of Tomb Kings, at this rate of failed expectations (low sales, weak army book, small playerbase) they may as well go the way of the dodo. Perhaps being relegated to a white dwarf list in next edition, like sisters of battle in 40k. I think even chaos dwarfs have generated more interest than them.

The last two tournaments I have been to there have been more TK players than Dark Elves. Don't listen to internet hype, there are plenty of players out there. As for the Hierotitan, it is a cornerstone of a lot of competitive TK lists - I like mine a lot and would snap up a new kit (along with a colossus with great weapon).

Skywave
21-04-2013, 23:28
The Hierotitan is a very useful model and it's a travesty that there's no model of it still, and the Colossus is also a decent unit, nothing spectacular but certainly have it's use, but probably see less time on the table due to current model. A new kit would surely make him see more play (especialy with all weapon option in the box).

I think we are now without our rare monsters for longer than the Beastmen had to wait for theirs, and that seemed like an eternity.

The longer they wait though, the more people find alternatives or convert their own. So GW not wanting to do waves after a book release (so far) seems like a bad business decision (like a lot of things they do). Not that TK sell like hotcake, but a Titan/Colossus kit would probably be one of the popular kit in the range.

someone2040
22-04-2013, 04:40
I think if they were going to get a second wave, it would likely contain :

Hierotitan/Colossus dual kit : The obvious one. Without a need for this, there's essentially no 'real' need for a new wave.
Casket of Souls : I think this one is a big contender due to the fact they could include a plastic Liche Priest in the set. GW like more and more these days to include plastic characters in kits where they can. So a new Casket of Souls sounds like a good opportunity for that.
Screaming Skull Catapult : Not sure how it does in finecast, but I've heard horrors of the metal version. Just wonder if it might perhaps be a dual kit with some new type of warmachine they throw in at the last minute to make the kit more profitable. It is usually the opposite nowdays with new rules coming out 6 months~ before the new book though.

Things I don't think would:
Skeletons/Chariots/Horsemen : I think GW would rather get the entire range into plastic than redo old kits at this point. Doesn't matter what people think of the models, but I'd say it's GW's number 1 motivation at the moment. Maybe once the entire range is in plastic (or close enough to) they will think about redoing core.
Tomb Swarms : Don't really see Swarms being plastic material, not sure how it'd work out. Overall, don't think they're a priority either.

The rest could go either way really. Carrion and Scorpions could be contenders. Especially carrion which come in units. Scorpions are in a little awkward middle spot where they don't come in units, but a box for a single scorpion isn't really enough. Maybe they'll package 2 scorpions to a box and you just have to make 2 of them.

Skywave
22-04-2013, 05:57
Not sure about Casket and Catapult. Casket is a sweet model already, and there's no point for them to include a Liche since it's no more related to characters. All other kit that include an extra character is because the model have another option, the Casket does not. While it's a very good unit, most players already have one and rarely need two.

Same for the Catapult. Single model that you don't want many of, and still not something everyone will rush out to get since catapult in general are less powerful in 8th. But coupled with a White Dwarf rules for a new warmachine promoting a new dual warmachine kit, that would be great. But we see those thing a few month before a book usually, not after. And Tomb Kings is probably the last army to receive such attention.

Anything plastic I agree, everything will stay. My guess will be that maybe with 9 edition, when every army got their shiny new units and all old units is converted to plastic, GW might start to redo some old plastic to draw some sales (they can't continuously add new stuff).

If anyone is dying to get some swarms (doubtful :P), there's plenty of plastic one from the Sphinx kit to make a base or two, so we kinda have that covered!

Scorpions could be a great kit I think. A few faceplates and tail ends for variation, and a model that is easier to assemble and actually fit the base would be nice. I would buy one despite owning too many for even a grand army!

Carrions is a big potential as it's a unit of 3+, they are a good on the field but expensive on the wallet compared to MI plastic set, and they could really spice them up, they are boring right now imo.

The last big kit that you forget would be Ushabti, they really need a new kit. The old model are nice, the new one with bows are alright too, but too much is missing. No extra hand weapon option and no command option is present and would be a welcome addition to this unit (converting is not everyone's forte). This is lined up as the second most needed kit for Tomb Kings to me (personally I would buy more Carrion in a new kit as I have way too many Ushabti anyway, but option-wise Ushabti just need to get everything in a box).

But as an army-wave is not happening, the only thing possible at the moment would a new SoM wave. A few random monsters from various army (our Titan/Colossus, the also-rumored WE Treeman, maybe a DE Hydra, etc.), with maybe some scroll of binding in WD for the monsters not already in the SoM book to encourage sales. That's the only chance I see for now for us to receive our Titan.

Horus38
22-04-2013, 17:36
...does anyone think we will see them as a release this year?

No.

To elaborate: with a good half the books still needing a 8th edition book we're not going to see new TK for a long time.