PDA

View Full Version : Best Players

Coldhatred
21-04-2013, 22:00
Since, I'm really enjoying reading everyone's experiences with Bad Players in Retrospectus' thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?370369-worst-players) I thought I'd turn it around and ask what are some of the Best Players you have played against? By "best" I mean the best experience.

Mine was a tournament where my friend and I were allied against another team. We were really getting smashed, and our spirits were starting to dwindle as the pounding continued. These guys knew they were winning and they started to do some things that were obviously for our benefit, like "forgetting" to shoot with a unit, or charging into melee for the heck of it. We had a few successes due to their efforts to make the game a little more fun for everyone involved. I've really taken that to heart, as I never enjoy just beating the heck out of my opponent (unless they deserve it) and good times were had by all.

Theolla
22-04-2013, 00:56
Good idea for a thread. The other thread is interesting, but no need to focus on the negative. :) One of my most memorable games was in a campaign, in 5th Ed. My Sisters of Battle vs. some very shooty Space Wolves. I liked to think of myself as pretty mechanized, but he had double my number of vehicles, all razorbacks with lascannons or similar. I was pretty casual with making up my list, and I could tell this was going to hurt. The game was an uphill battle for me the whole way. I could barely keep up and get in shooting range, but I squeaked out a draw through objectives. It was fun, though. My opponent was very clear and open about what everything was, and about his rolls. I think that combination of a competitive edge while being friendly and responsive can be rare, and he gets a thumbs up from me.

Coldhatred
22-04-2013, 02:39
Good idea for a thread. The other thread is interesting, but no need to focus on the negative. :) One of my most memorable games was in a campaign, in 5th Ed. My Sisters of Battle vs. some very shooty Space Wolves. I liked to think of myself as pretty mechanized, but he had double my number of vehicles, all razorbacks with lascannons or similar. I was pretty casual with making up my list, and I could tell this was going to hurt. The game was an uphill battle for me the whole way. I could barely keep up and get in shooting range, but I squeaked out a draw through objectives. It was fun, though. My opponent was very clear and open about what everything was, and about his rolls. I think that combination of a competitive edge while being friendly and responsive can be rare, and he gets a thumbs up from me.

I agree, it can be hard to find players who are friendly, but bring their A-game at the same time.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
22-04-2013, 05:05
I normally don't keep track, but the most recent game I played stands out for this. This was the day before the new Tau codex came out, so one of the people at the store and I decided to give the old codex a last hurrah. The game was against me from the start (Hammer and Anvil deployment reducing my maneuverability, Big Guns Never Tire with my heavy support being much less durable than his, me going second, and little terrain), I made a mistake when deploying, which colored how I needed to play (should have done a refused flank, rather than trying to use what little cover I could get), and the dice were against me. When I lose half my scoring units' transports in the first turn, the end is almost foretold. Despite all that, he wasn't gloating, remained polite, and I got the impression he felt cheated out of a challenge. Some of the best games I've had have been against a friend of mine's IG, who can always put up a solid challenge, though it's seeming like my evil space elves have a definite edge at this point.

Str10_hurts
22-04-2013, 05:59
I enjoy high competitive players that do fun matches with non-competitive armies.

Borgomos
22-04-2013, 09:45
A friend of mine vs a guy i did not know very well at that time, were playing a Warhammer Fantasy match between Ogres(my friend) and Lizardmen.

Tzeentch must have decided to pop a prank on our gaming club that day, as both players were rolling horrible, and the entire match was a huge collection of mishap and misfortune.

Ogres try to cast a spell..rolls triple 1s, fails. Attempts to charge from 11 inches, fails. His shooting hits, but cannot wound the Temple guard.
Lizardmen Saurus Scar-vet failed to inflict a single wound to a unit of Mournfangs(Meaning that he failed to roll a 4+Hit\2+Wound followed by a 5+ save..failed like 18-20 attacks over the course of that battle). 50 Saurus Warriors can`t dent the Mournfangs, while the Ogres fail to hit or wound the Saurus.

Meanwhile the Slaan keeps miscasting on Irresistable Forces, templating his Temple Guard bodyguard. By the end of the game he had killed 35 Temple Guard all by himself. Those irresistable Dwellers probably managed to kill...1-2 Ogres. Failed leadership checks all over the table, skinks taking a single casualty, panicking and running off the board unable to rally for 3 turns. Ogre Ironblasters misfires, blows up. The other Ironblaster misfires, the cannon gets disabled for the game.

Basically they were playing to see who would roll more miserably than the other player. Nevertheless, both players had a chill attitude, and instead of whining over how pointless that match was, everyone had a good laugh from it.

Nikolaus
22-04-2013, 11:08
Basically the best players are opposite of the ones brought up in the other thread.

Though playing with someone that is chilled and can take a joke and not throw a hissy fit because Marneus died to cultists (seriously funny thing to do in CC)

Soupcat
22-04-2013, 15:05
Mine was at a doubles tournament last year.
I was a bit worried at first as I had played the guy once before which is amusingly enough one of my worst games ever, but it was a great time.
We both had really solid lists and it was a tough game which could go either way till the last turn, but a combination of a beer run, jokes and overall just working on having an awesome time lead to easily the best game I have had in a very long time.

Nikolaus
22-04-2013, 16:54
I think you might have missed this quote, or could you specify what you mean?

and arent best experiences, experienced with players who arent complete and utter c***s?

NemoSD
22-04-2013, 18:27
and arent best experiences, experienced with players who arent complete and utter c***s?

The best player I know is a guy at the old LA Bunker. He seems rough, kind of mean, and competitive, and he is competitive. However, he keeps games fun with the most unique form of list tailoring I have seen. He has almost every army, and 4000 pts or more in each. He asks what you are bringing, and then goes about to throw a list at you that is balanced based on what you have, and what you stated your skill was. (He asks if you think you are a poor, good, or great player, or if you are new.) It is a form of unregulated self-handicap that keeps the game fun.

I love playing my Eldar against him, because I know I am not going to get spanked, and when I bring my Guard or Dark Angels out, I know he is going to challenge me on equal footing.

In tournaments though, he brings out an a game like no other, but, he can not hide the fact that he is really not mean. If you are losing, he asks this question, "Can I offer advice?" I once watched him help his opponent turn a crushing defeat into an actual victory. During a study, I got him to agree to an interview, and I asked him about this, this was his response: (My followup questions are editted out, presenting it as one block of text.)

"It's like when I played basketball in school, or when my boys get together for softball on sundays. I aint out here to win, I am out here to compete and have fun. If the other guy has a **** list, or is just not very good yet, it is not competitive to beat him, and it is not fun to beat him. Sure some children get their jollies off on situations like that, and coming off a losing streak an easy win feels good, but coming off a losing streak with a hard fought and earned victory is amazing, aint nothing else like it... If someone is not as good as me, aint got a good list, or is just having a bad day, it is more fun, and a benefit to everyone, to help improve the guys play, help him understand how to use a unit better. That kind of thing... I never tell someone that a unit sucks, some units suck, but I have seen units that suck be used to do amazing things when someone sees an unusual application... I ask them if they want help because some people get angry when they lose, and wont listen, or will snap at me for trying, and others really want it, but are embarrassed to ask for it... I change my lists around like I do because on a Saturday, people here just want to relax, have fun, chew some fat. They aint here to get ruined, they are here to play and have fun. So I choose a list that is still tough for them, but is not an all uphill battle. I aint going to take Grey Knight to a Deamon list, etc."

Nikolaus
22-04-2013, 19:05
and that is why you are quickly becoming my fave warseer-er Nemo..

You bring joy and goodwill to this cancerous forum XD

Infern0
22-04-2013, 19:19
The best players are the ones, who you can crack a joke with. The whole game also doesn`t feel like a drag. And the opponent doesn`t check all the rules, that he doesn`t remember by heart, if you told him what they stand for.
Oh, I forgot, that I dislike players, that assemble all their 50 dice in some kind of order after every time they roll.

djhowitzer
22-04-2013, 19:20
i know mine. at battlefields at warhammer hq 4 years ago. the format that weekend required us to fight 2000 v 1000 from both sides. when i was on the small side i faced tau. and i won on vps. just. the guy didnt pout. he didnt sulk. he gave me a firm handshake and looked me straight in the eye and said "that was the best game i ever played. you did really well".
we won the award for closest run thing - narrowest margin of victory.

just for reference, my list was 10 jetbikes with fortuneguidejetseer, 10 pathfinders with fortuneguideseer and 10 firedragons. he had a bunch of fire warriors, crisis battlesuits and hammerheads.

NemoSD
22-04-2013, 20:46
and that is why you are quickly becoming my fave warseer-er Nemo..

You bring joy and goodwill to this cancerous forum XD

Thank you much! I try to give as much positive as I can. It is an important thing for me all things considered. It is also something I fail at a lot as well, but I am getting better!

The best players are the ones, who you can crack a joke with. The whole game also doesn`t feel like a drag. And the opponent doesn`t check all the rules, that he doesn`t remember by heart, if you told him what they stand for.
Oh, I forgot, that I dislike players, that assemble all their 50 dice in some kind of order after every time they roll.

You'd hate me :-p I admonish dice publicly when they fail, but that is because doing it in private didn't do the job. I line the failures up, tell them they are worthless excuses of numbered plastic, and that if they don't shape up, they get to look forward to a sander, then a one way ride down the barrel of a .55 Hawkins Blackpowder Hunting Rifle. (January was bad for me and nice... but I got a lot better with my aim... :-p)

djhowitzer
22-04-2013, 20:59
you wouldnt like playing me then. i personally think dice are dice. but everyone else thinks my green dice are magic. and i play on that as much as possible.

now i see there is a good reason to buy an assault rifle in your otherwise gun-loonie country: shooting recalcitrant dice. over here, the best we can manage is a ten guage hunting shotgun. i am sure they wouldnt be nearly as dead then.
.55 calibre. what are you hunting? rhino? a friend of mine has a .308, and that drops a red deer stag with one shot - deniro stylee

(please dont mistake this for politics. it is meant as gentle fun-poking)

Carnelian
22-04-2013, 21:08
highly competitive players that play fun matches with non-competitive armies.

this, this and this is what 40k is all about for me. play as well as you can, but do it with an interesting army! (sorry i changed the grammar a bit)

djhowitzer
22-04-2013, 21:42
i give you: djhowitzers great phoenix court of the young king ascendant. apocalypse formation great court of the young king and phoenix court of khaine melded together. ie one full stength squad of each aspect, with attendent phoenix lords and avatar. and the outflank asset.

fluffy as a care bear

Turion Rilyaloce
22-04-2013, 22:08
I played a game of fantasy recently where the opponent I played against had IMHO the ideal gaming attitude.

We were playing fantasy where my High elves were matched against his Dark Elves. Before the game he was enthusiastic about my army, asking about how I paint my army and its theme (both unorthodox; flying circus dragonlist, and purple white and nonmetallic gold). He then showed me a couple of fantastic conversions, a scratch sculpted dread lord who's face was modeled to look like his own with an eyebrow raised!

When we got into the game he lost his sorceress early to a miscast. Instead of getting deflated he just battled through and ended up making a couple of great moves after, that put me in a bind. He almost killed my star dragon with a pair of lucky bolt thrower shots and then he laughed when it survived a charge by cold one knights who's lances turned rubber.

I ended up winning but I was impressed with the fact he didn't fold when he had some unlucky things happen to him. He then stayed after and talked about some of things he struggled against in my list (he wasn't used to being out ranged and because of that outshot thanks to longbows, and it made him ancy with his battle line, opening charge opportunities for my flying elements). He then asked if I wanted to know the mistakes he thought I had made. I listened and he told me he thought I was too aggressive with my dragon when those first opportunities opened and that left my dragon open to the counter charge that would have killed it, if his cold knights aren't inept.

He taught me about a weakness I had even though he lost, and I was just impressed with his ability to take bad luck in stride, but not let it ruin his game or mine!

NemoSD
22-04-2013, 22:11
you wouldnt like playing me then. i personally think dice are dice. but everyone else thinks my green dice are magic. and i play on that as much as possible.

now i see there is a good reason to buy an assault rifle in your otherwise gun-loonie country: shooting recalcitrant dice. over here, the best we can manage is a ten guage hunting shotgun. i am sure they wouldnt be nearly as dead then.
.55 calibre. what are you hunting? rhino? a friend of mine has a .308, and that drops a red deer stag with one shot - deniro stylee

(please dont mistake this for politics. it is meant as gentle fun-poking)

The Hawkin's is a flint-lock blackpowder rifle that dates back to before the American Revolution. It is a replica historical piece. A .55 ball was pretty small back then considering your lobsters were shooting .60-.65

djhowitzer
22-04-2013, 22:26
oh. a vintage cannon. even better. i thought it was some kind of super dragunov or something.

if you can hit anything with one of those you are a master. is it even rifled?

maybe a themed army is called for? with the english as baddies of course - cos we just do it better. i give you charles dance, christopher lee and peter cushing as the command squad of ultimate evil!

NemoSD
22-04-2013, 23:27
oh. a vintage cannon. even better. i thought it was some kind of super dragunov or something.

if you can hit anything with one of those you are a master. is it even rifled?

maybe a themed army is called for? with the english as baddies of course - cos we just do it better. i give you charles dance, christopher lee and peter cushing as the command squad of ultimate evil!

Its a rifle.. so yes, it is rifled :-p

Shad Ambert
22-04-2013, 23:42
I don't think players who go easy on you qualify as "best". Sometimes I want to ask somebody "dude, go a bit easier on me, let me [do something]", but then I just slap myself. A person on the other side of the table wants to win just as much as I do, and if he's not cheating and gives me fair play, I think he actually is doing best he can. And you won't learn anything by "playing easy".
That said, I have very vivid imagination and like to move soldiers around the table, give them names, "forging the narrative" and write long narrative like reports after. So imaginative players who you can joke and be weird with, who know how to have fun from events happening on a table are my kind of guys. Their lists can be competitive style for all I care, but if we're having fun, winning or losing does't matter to me then.
Then again, there are guys who can "go easy" and be sympathetic, and I can respect them. On my first Apocalypse game, we were playing against tough bunch of guys, who showered us with dreadclaws, at that time when lash and obliterators were all the hit. And there was that "order" player who played Black Templars. And I was playing Eldar, and we were't as much allies as just did't touch each other because of the rules of campaign. So I had my tanks burning on the edge of the table, and he was rolling out of reserves, and best thing he could do was to tankshock the hell out of my last bunch of guys and destroy my tanks, and get in good position to shoot Chaos army. Well, he did't. He drive around and came from the side where he was most vulnerable to spare remains of my and my buddies armies, and his whole force fell to the enemy because of that. He was even reminded by chaos players that, if he'd roll over my tanks and aspects, he'd get a much better position. But he did't, and just went with what he was doing like a boss.
Thanks Templars.

Menthak
23-04-2013, 00:00
Myself! Not in a big headed way, it's just that usually I lose, even to newbies, so I'm giving them a nice treat, also to this day, I've never got mad at someone for beating me.

Even my main opponent and his Mech-Guard steamroller list _

Coldhatred
23-04-2013, 01:02
I don't think players who go easy on you qualify as "best". Sometimes I want to ask somebody "dude, go a bit easier on me, let me [do something]", but then I just slap myself. A person on the other side of the table wants to win just as much as I do, and if he's not cheating and gives me fair play, I think he actually is doing best he can. And you won't learn anything by "playing easy".

I completely get what you're saying and I agree. The idea was that at the point in the battle, due to different factors, they were going to win, so they didn't so much fudge it a little for our sakes as bring the action up a bit for everyone involved.

Half Breed
23-04-2013, 01:03
It would probably be the Imperial Fist veteran who was part of the gaming club I'm in, when I was just starting up as a snot-nose kid.

He showed me some neat tricks to help me remember various rules, he showed me how to paint to a professional standard, rather than the mess I usually made of models- but most importantly of all, he just kicked the crap out of me in my first few games. It made me strive harder, think critically, and really give my all, because I really wanted to win. He really made me work for it regardless of my age, and in the end, I feel that it helped make me a better player overall.

fgsfds-
23-04-2013, 08:09
I work part-time as a youth leader and I lead a Warhammer club for young people. There are participants from ages 10 to 20. The club isn't as solid as I wish it would be: the older participants seldom play with the younger, as the kids' attention span is about 10 minustes long (plus they don't know the rules so well, or understand English, but that's exactly why it's important to play and practice with them).
But there is this one guy who every now and then plays with the kids and that melts my heart <3 Of course he pretty much always wins as he's a better strategist, but sometimes he obviously goes easier on the kids.

librerian_samae
23-04-2013, 09:45
Well I've already posted it up as a battle rep so linky:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?271410-2000pts-Skaven-vs-Dark-elves-double-masacare

Long story short first game of 8th both of us were very shaky, made tons of mistakes all over the place but still managed to get a very enjoyable epic game out because we didn't get all hung up on every little mistake, and allowed each other lots of wiggle room.

End result total massacre bloodbath with epic spell carnage and close combat death! :D

dean
23-04-2013, 18:33
This needs a bump.

a good opponent...
On top of the fair, not cheaty bit and the good natured bit.
A well painted army. Columbia Mo has a guy who has quite possibly the best painted minis (Blood Angels) I have ever seen in person who went 0-3 at 'Ardboyz and only got 3 points. But he was smiling at the end of the tourny...

Well done conversions and or any still legal RT or 2nd ed minis still in his army. Screamer Killer carnifexes for instance.

=Angel=
23-04-2013, 18:45
Guy called Paul in Dublin.
He's a competitive gamer, goes and wins tourneys etc. Brings rock hard lists pretty much every time.??
Anyway. He's a gentleman. He does this thing where he calls the game' the game is over as a competition' and then continues it, saying 'lets just have fun'
All the rp stuff comes out as commanders charge into combat where it would be simpler to finish with gunnery and a good time is had by all.

Stand up guy.

ColShaw
23-04-2013, 19:50
There was a guy called Ralph I used to game with, about a decade ago. He had terrible luck. I mean, TERRIBLE. He almost always lost, but he never lost his temper. He'd always find something funny to talk about, he'd make jokes about the horrible things happening to my (or more often, his) troops, etc. The funny thing was, he was actually pretty good at the game; knew the rules well, didn't use appalling tactics or build terrible armies... he just lost. Like, every time. But it never got him down.

Eldartank
23-04-2013, 21:09
I got lots of stories on this topic, but I'll put in one or two for now (I really do need to log off and get some dinner).

There have been a few guys I played against who utterly wiped me from the table (a common occurence for me), but were such decent sports that I was honestly able to say I had fun despite getting soundly beaten.

One guy I played against at a local tournament was very new to the game, and had a rather basic Space Marine army. But that army was one of the most amazingly painted armies I had ever seen, clearly rivalling those models you see in the White Dwarf magazines. That, and his good nature, made it one of the best games I played. I beat him, but that was only because he was so new to the game. With his attitude and beautiful models, it would have been a great game even if he had soundly beaten me.

Eldartank
23-04-2013, 21:12
There was a guy called Ralph I used to game with, about a decade ago. He had terrible luck. I mean, TERRIBLE. He almost always lost, but he never lost his temper. He'd always find something funny to talk about, he'd make jokes about the horrible things happening to my (or more often, his) troops, etc. The funny thing was, he was actually pretty good at the game; knew the rules well, didn't use appalling tactics or build terrible armies... he just lost. Like, every time. But it never got him down.

lol.... Are you talking about me? I tend to lose more than I win. Okay, it's more like I usually lose and very rarely win. But I always have fun unless the opponent is going out of his way to be a bad sport. Then again, maybe you're not talking about me, since I'm a bit rusty on rules knowledge these days.
:)

Sir Didymus
23-04-2013, 22:29
My thoughts go to the guy, who taught me the game. We started out cutthroat competitive, he was a vet coming out of retirement, so he taught me rules mostly from memory - and I Got butchered as the newbie I was. Later on I got myself a rules book, and suddenly we evolved into hardcore rules lawyers with bitter arguments and raised voices, but I started winning, and we both got a deeper understanding of the rules. Then winning started becoming a secondary thing, and we started playing more for the game itself, even started to discuss each others tactics during games - to much dismay to our co-players when we ended up opposite each other in doubles games ;)

ShadowbaneII
23-04-2013, 23:23
Definately a completely random guy I met in the local GW after during an apocalypse battle. We had been on the same side throughout, my guard and his DA fighting side by side, so when it got to the end we decided to have a random extra game just between us two.

The game was brilliant, his attitude was so positive throughout (despite guardsmen beating his termies in CC at one point) and wasn't even gloating after a Dread ripped through approximately 30 men all by itself. Absolutely smashing game and a great opponent - just wish I could play him regular really :P

RandomThoughts
24-04-2013, 11:37
The best player I know is a guy at the old LA Bunker. He seems rough, kind of mean, and competitive, and he is competitive. However, he keeps games fun with the most unique form of list tailoring I have seen. He has almost every army, and 4000 pts or more in each. He asks what you are bringing, and then goes about to throw a list at you that is balanced based on what you have, and what you stated your skill was. (He asks if you think you are a poor, good, or great player, or if you are new.) It is a form of unregulated self-handicap that keeps the game fun.

I love playing my Eldar against him, because I know I am not going to get spanked, and when I bring my Guard or Dark Angels out, I know he is going to challenge me on equal footing.

In tournaments though, he brings out an a game like no other, but, he can not hide the fact that he is really not mean. If you are losing, he asks this question, "Can I offer advice?" I once watched him help his opponent turn a crushing defeat into an actual victory. During a study, I got him to agree to an interview, and I asked him about this, this was his response: (My followup questions are editted out, presenting it as one block of text.)

"It's like when I played basketball in school, or when my boys get together for softball on sundays. I aint out here to win, I am out here to compete and have fun. If the other guy has a **** list, or is just not very good yet, it is not competitive to beat him, and it is not fun to beat him. Sure some children get their jollies off on situations like that, and coming off a losing streak an easy win feels good, but coming off a losing streak with a hard fought and earned victory is amazing, aint nothing else like it... If someone is not as good as me, aint got a good list, or is just having a bad day, it is more fun, and a benefit to everyone, to help improve the guys play, help him understand how to use a unit better. That kind of thing... I never tell someone that a unit sucks, some units suck, but I have seen units that suck be used to do amazing things when someone sees an unusual application... I ask them if they want help because some people get angry when they lose, and wont listen, or will snap at me for trying, and others really want it, but are embarrassed to ask for it... I change my lists around like I do because on a Saturday, people here just want to relax, have fun, chew some fat. They aint here to get ruined, they are here to play and have fun. So I choose a list that is still tough for them, but is not an all uphill battle. I aint going to take Grey Knight to a Deamon list, etc."

I played a game of fantasy recently where the opponent I played against had IMHO the ideal gaming attitude.

We were playing fantasy where my High elves were matched against his Dark Elves. Before the game he was enthusiastic about my army, asking about how I paint my army and its theme (both unorthodox; flying circus dragonlist, and purple white and nonmetallic gold). He then showed me a couple of fantastic conversions, a scratch sculpted dread lord who's face was modeled to look like his own with an eyebrow raised!

When we got into the game he lost his sorceress early to a miscast. Instead of getting deflated he just battled through and ended up making a couple of great moves after, that put me in a bind. He almost killed my star dragon with a pair of lucky bolt thrower shots and then he laughed when it survived a charge by cold one knights who's lances turned rubber.

I ended up winning but I was impressed with the fact he didn't fold when he had some unlucky things happen to him. He then stayed after and talked about some of things he struggled against in my list (he wasn't used to being out ranged and because of that outshot thanks to longbows, and it made him ancy with his battle line, opening charge opportunities for my flying elements). He then asked if I wanted to know the mistakes he thought I had made. I listened and he told me he thought I was too aggressive with my dragon when those first opportunities opened and that left my dragon open to the counter charge that would have killed it, if his cold knights aren't inept.

He taught me about a weakness I had even though he lost, and I was just impressed with his ability to take bad luck in stride, but not let it ruin his game or mine!

Two incredible stories. Thanks for sharing.

I don't think I can match either, but my gaming group is pretty decent. I'm the mostz competitive player in my group, sometimes I wish the others would just up their game a little but, but we're mostly having great fun. We commonly gather at my place, if there are more than two of us, the others usually follow the games as spectators. We invent a narrative before the game, set up the tables together, discuss strategies and tactics from the moment the lists are revealed to long after the game is over. There's a gentlemen's agreement to play hard but fair, minor errors in placement can be corrected later on most of the time.

I strife to be that kind of player when I visit my LGS as well, demoing the game for beginners, offering tactical advice to weaker players, conceading a game lost against all probability with a handshake and a smile. I don't think I'm the greatest guy you could wish to play against, but I think there are worse. :)

IcedCrow
24-04-2013, 13:13
Best players:

Good opponents who don't curse when bad things happen, throw dice, blame dice, or verbally berate their opponents, have a good sense of humour, don't quit when the first bad thing happens to them, and can do well with many types of armies, not just over powered netlists.

thenurgler
24-04-2013, 16:02
Basically the best players are opposite of the ones brought up in the other thread.

Though playing with someone that is chilled and can take a joke and not throw a hissy fit because Marneus died to cultists (seriously funny thing to do in CC)

I find that when crazy stuff happens that's when the game tends to be most enjoyable (at least for me), and that's whether or not my crappy units are doing a good job. After all it's the strange stories that are most fun to tell. My friend who used to play Tau doesn't tell the stories of the hundreds of times his crisis suits shot marines to death, but he loves to recall the time when he charged Crisis Suits into a unit of Marines and won. Part of the reason I love Mordheim maybe the most of all GW games is the hilarious situations, but they occur all the time in 40k as well. And maybe they result in a game's crushing but it's all part of the fun of GW games.

I was playing Mordheim and my friend was Pirates and he had someone who had lost a leg so he bought a pegleg for him. Well, he got knocked out of action, and the injury report had him sold to the pits. Well, he lost to the pit fighter and rolled a 'robbed' result so they stole all of his equipment (including his peg leg) and threw him out on the street, where he crawled back into camp on one leg. If you take this game too seriously you're missing out on a lot of fun.

soultaker87
24-04-2013, 16:28
My best was in a tournament where my Nids were playing against GK. at first I was losing horribly, he got first blood, slay the warlord and had more kill points than me. Of course we were joking around about how it would take a miracle for me to come back and win. He was a good sport and didn't rub it in or gloat. Things changed when one of my hive guard shot through a pyramid ( it was the store's largest impassable terrain) and killed his warlord, that's when my luck changed. To make things short by turn 7 a he had were two terminators and three grey knights with one psycanonn, all I had was hive tyrant, a carnifex, 3 hive guard and some gaunts. We were both laughing at how much things had turn around and he even started to cheer me on as my tyrant and carnifex charged to finish them off. Only killed one terminator and game ends. But it was one of my most memorable games not only because of how close the it came down to, but because my opponent acted in cool manner and joked even when it looked like it was all over. Some other players I know would of start to whine and fuss at that point.

Nikolaus
24-04-2013, 19:11
I find that when crazy stuff happens that's when the game tends to be most enjoyable (at least for me), and that's whether or not my crappy units are doing a good job. After all it's the strange stories that are most fun to tell. My friend who used to play Tau doesn't tell the stories of the hundreds of times his crisis suits shot marines to death, but he loves to recall the time when he charged Crisis Suits into a unit of Marines and won. Part of the reason I love Mordheim maybe the most of all GW games is the hilarious situations, but they occur all the time in 40k as well. And maybe they result in a game's crushing but it's all part of the fun of GW games.

I was playing Mordheim and my friend was Pirates and he had someone who had lost a leg so he bought a pegleg for him. Well, he got knocked out of action, and the injury report had him sold to the pits. Well, he lost to the pit fighter and rolled a 'robbed' result so they stole all of his equipment (including his peg leg) and threw him out on the street, where he crawled back into camp on one leg. If you take this game too seriously you're missing out on a lot of fun.

what i meant with the hissy fit is that a player went on a tirade saying the chaos codex was broken because Mark of Tzeentch Cultists are too over powered in CC.. he chose to use his powerfists, and lost to weight of numbers..

he chose to take all the wounds on marneus and was dismayed when he kept rolling 1's

Funny things that happen in this game makes for 70% my gaming life.. I dont care if i win or lose.. as long as fun is had.. and impossible situations happens.

I made 27 invulns in a row with abaddon in 5th.. he died to a laspistol on last shooting phase of turn 7. causing his termie squad to peg it off the objective..

the fact i made that many saves isnt the important part.. its the 10pt model killing 265pts and losing me the game that made it important..

accidents happen.. most people arent brave enough to see it that way

Fear13
24-04-2013, 20:17
Always enjoy crazy or funny things happening. Played a game against my mates orks back when I first started playing again. Karandras had only one wound left after being being blasted earlier in the game. To try and make him do something he charged a massive Ork squad and pretty much wiped them out. He then attacked a big mek (think it was anyway, this was a few years back) and after ripping him to shreds, was promptly pistol whipped by a gretchin. It had us in stitches for the rest of the game, was just one of those moments when one of the stealthiest bad asses around gets nailed by one of the single weakest creatures in the game.

We don't really play competitively, just for the fun of it really, crickey I take shining spears (well did in 5th). Only one of our group plays competitively (you out there gonefishing!!) but when he plays against us he is never Waac or to hardcore. Don't think he is like that when he plays the touring scene either. Due to this thankfully most of our games always tend to be enjoyable times.

Probably a good thing really as I don't have a great win record, and we do have a slight joke about the hex that comes with playing on my side regarding poor rolling.:-) when people are doing roll offs I'm banished to the other side of the room. :)

Eldartank
25-04-2013, 00:08
One of the coolest gaming experiences I had was several years ago at my old gaming store. These 3 boys, around 9 or 10 years old, were lurking around my friends and I watching with interest as we played our 40K games (it was during the time of 3rd Edition, so those kids are probably in their 20's now). Then they started asking questions. And then more questions. They were all decent kids, and clearly weren't trying to cause any trouble, but the barrage of questions was starting to get a bit annoying. I suddenly came up with a brilliant idea: I grabbed 3 copies of the rulebook that were lying around the store and had the boys sit at a table, each with a copy of the rulebook. Then I pointed out the section containing the rules and told them to read. I pretty much expected the typical childhood 5 minute attention span thing to kick in followed by them running around the store and bothering me with questions again. I was surprised when they actually sat there long enough to actually read the rules (remember, these boys were only 9 or 10 years old). After finishing, they approached me and asked a couple questions for clarification - the way they worded their questions made it clear that they had absorbed what they read and had a basic understanding of the rules. It was a pleasure when I pulled out a couple units from a couple of my armies to show them an introductory game. They actually understood enough that they needed very little coaching or instruction! Did I mention that these 3 boys were only around 9 or 10 years old? Some weeks later, their parents indulged them with some miniatures, supplemented with bits and discards from some of the people at the store, and they were regularly showing up on weekends to play games with each other and some of the other regulars. A year or two later, one of those kids overheard me from the other end of the painting table showing another kid drybrushing and was able to paint up a really nice looking Eldar War Walker just from what he heard from the other end of the table.

Horus38
25-04-2013, 04:24
The best players for me have always given a challenging battle and helped teach me about some aspect of the rules/strategy I hadn't considered yet.

nightgant98c
25-04-2013, 16:07
Outside of my close friends (who are always good opponents), there is a guy I used to play against at tournaments at a local shop, and no matter who won, or how ugly the game (including one where his own plasma guns inflicted more wounds on his army than I did) we both enjoyed the game. If everyone was like him, no one would ever quit this hobby.

SimaoSegunda
25-04-2013, 16:43
I have a regular opponent at both my FLGS and Club (I got him to come along to the club) who is just a fantastic opponent. He plays Black Templars in 40k, and non-castling Dwarfs in Fantasy, so he tends to win at a lower percentage than he should, given his skill level, but that never seems to get him down. He's great with new players, always makes people feel welcomed, and is generally an all-round nice guy.

I remember he recently beat me at the Watchtower in fantasy, when I'd made the rookie mistake of killing everything outside the tower. Come the end of the game, he has two Dwarfs in the tower. He then proceeds to grumble that he shouldn't have won, stupid victory conditions, but he cheers up when I suggest that maybe his objective was to keep a beacon in the tower lit long enough to warn the Stronghold of a coming invasion.

Long story short, I play fairly strong lists and play to the best of my abilities, but he's one of the few players I actively enjoy losing to.

hd.40
25-04-2013, 20:35
I have a guy, that kinda knows my group that is seriously one of the most akward dudes in the entire world, the kind that doesn't know good attention from bad attention. He's on of those guys that tends to lie about knowing stuff, stuff no one can prove him wrong on exactly... He's social awkard and doesn't date "all that often."

He happened to join my gaming group one day for a set of games, nothing serious, until I got matched up with him. I sighed, rolled my eyes, and prepared to say "uh-hu" alot. But as we play, he totally changes! His favorite thing to do was create a narrative of the game as it goes on, good roll/bad roll, it didn't really matter! It sounds silly but he'd laugh and mention how "Suddenly your squad is filled with Hate and Motivation and fire upoun my troops, killing 9 of them!" complete with sound effects and everything. To this day i don't remember who won, but i know that no matter what happened in that game, he was thrilled about it, and it was the most fun i've ever played.

NemoSD
25-04-2013, 20:44
I have a guy, that kinda knows my group that is seriously one of the most akward dudes in the entire world, the kind that doesn't know good attention from bad attention. He's on of those guys that tends to lie about knowing stuff, stuff no one can prove him wrong on exactly... He's social awkard and doesn't date "all that often."

He happened to join my gaming group one day for a set of games, nothing serious, until I got matched up with him. I sighed, rolled my eyes, and prepared to say "uh-hu" alot. But as we play, he totally changes! His favorite thing to do was create a narrative of the game as it goes on, good roll/bad roll, it didn't really matter! It sounds silly but he'd laugh and mention how "Suddenly your squad is filled with Hate and Motivation and fire upoun my troops, killing 9 of them!" complete with sound effects and everything. To this day i don't remember who won, but i know that no matter what happened in that game, he was thrilled about it, and it was the most fun i've ever played.

First impressions can be a bitch when they are incomplete, huh? :-p (I spent a lot of my early days as that dude, and the knowing stuff that can not be proven wrong is a defense mechanism. We, or at least I, used to use it to hide insecurity. It is what happens when someone is really smart, really creative, and has a decent chunk of charisma, but due to personal preferences, an introverted nature, or depression/lack of inspiration, are lost and aimless.)

Eldartank
25-04-2013, 20:47

It sounds like this guy might have Asperger's Syndrome, or maybe a very high-functioning form of mild Autism. People like that are often socially akward, but really amazingly awesome in a couple aspects of their lives. They tend to be really great people to associate with, despite their social akwardness.

Baneboss
25-04-2013, 20:51
It sounds like this guy might have Asperger's Syndrome, or maybe a very high-functioning form of mild Autism.

You know... You might be absolutely right, but writing this... i think this is just wrong dude. He seems like a great guy and you trying to put any sort of disorders is just... wrong. Even on internet.

Eldartank
25-04-2013, 21:11
You know... You might be absolutely right, but writing this... i think this is just wrong dude. He seems like a great guy and you trying to put any sort of disorders is just... wrong. Even on internet.

I didn't mean that as any kind of insult or slight. I was just commenting on how hd.40 described that guy. And just because someone has any kind of disorder doesn't automatically preclude him from being a great person - look at my post to hd.40 again and you will see that I was saying just that. Furthermore, I specifically stated positive attributes about people with Asperger's or Autism.

Do you think that having a disorder automatically precludes someone from being a decent person? I would hate to think that anyone feels that way, because I am obsessive-compulsive, and I wouldn't want to be pre-judged by someone in such a way.....

Baneboss
25-04-2013, 21:31
I mean by writing this you instinctively put him in a bad light even though you might be completely right.

NemoSD
25-04-2013, 21:33
I didn't mean that as any kind of insult or slight. I was just commenting on how hd.40 described that guy. And just because someone has any kind of disorder doesn't automatically preclude him from being a great person - look at my post to hd.40 again and you will see that I was saying just that. Furthermore, I specifically stated positive attributes about people with Asperger's or Autism.

Do you think that having a disorder automatically precludes someone from being a decent person? I would hate to think that anyone feels that way, because I am obsessive-compulsive, and I wouldn't want to be pre-judged by someone in such a way.....

The problem is, a lot of people don't have disorders. Like I said, the behavior described was me 5-6 years ago. I am not autistic, and in the right setting I was very fun and social, but outside of a narrow comfort zone, I was insecure, so I would make stuff up, and try to hide the insecurity. Had I just been labeled autistic, I probably would never of received the encouragement from this around me to help with my insecurity.

Obviously, if there is a disorder, identifying it is important to help the individual, if they even want the help, but with a two paragraph description, it is irresponsible to label a disorder.

Eldartank
26-04-2013, 00:58
I mean by writing this you instinctively put him in a bad light even though you might be completely right.

So then you do pre-judge people as automatically precluded from being decent people if they have any kind of disorder. How sad....

Edited to add: It isn't pleasant when someone twists what you say into some kind of gross offense, is it?

Eldartank
26-04-2013, 01:01
The problem is, a lot of people don't have disorders. Like I said, the behavior described was me 5-6 years ago. I am not autistic, and in the right setting I was very fun and social, but outside of a narrow comfort zone, I was insecure, so I would make stuff up, and try to hide the insecurity. Had I just been labeled autistic, I probably would never of received the encouragement from this around me to help with my insecurity.

Obviously, if there is a disorder, identifying it is important to help the individual, if they even want the help, but with a two paragraph description, it is irresponsible to label a disorder.

Obviously I can't tell anything about a person based on a third-party comment on the internet. I was simply commenting on how the description of the behavior looked like Asperger's/Autism to me. But I'm going to drop this particular subject, since some people seem hell-bent bound and determined to make anything I say on the subject into some kind of offense no matter what.

NemoSD
26-04-2013, 03:33
Obviously I can't tell anything about a person based on a third-party comment on the internet. I was simply commenting on how the description of the behavior looked like Asperger's/Autism to me. But I'm going to drop this particular subject, since some people seem hell-bent bound and determined to make anything I say on the subject into some kind of offense no matter what.

If that is what you got out of my posts, I wont speak for others, then there is a problem with snap judgments, but they are on your end. You probably don't get it, but once someone is slapped with a label, it is really hard to get rid of it. Ironically, the story that set this one off is exactly that case. The kid was slapped with the 'weird, not good kind' label, and was alienated. Once someone actually played the guy, he may of still been weird, but he is not bad weird. The label hung around the kid.

Rather we like it or not, saying a grown man has any form of autism right now is to society a bad thing. Not because the people are bad, but because we live in a world where you are perfect or not, and if you can not keep up, frack you. All I am saying on this because it is supposed to be a positive forum.

lantzkev
26-04-2013, 03:38
It sounds like this guy might have Asperger's Syndrome, or maybe a very high-functioning form of mild Autism. People like that are often socially akward, but really amazingly awesome in a couple aspects of their lives. They tend to be really great people to associate with, despite their social akwardness.

yeah because kids at that age are never awkward and can't possibly grasp simple rules like this game easily?

Baneboss
26-04-2013, 06:45
So then you do pre-judge people as automatically precluded from being decent people if they have any kind of disorder. How sad....

Edited to add: It isn't pleasant when someone twists what you say into some kind of gross offense, is it?

Facepalm... I just... cant...

We should feel happy there are people like that along rules lawyers and all those angry guys. Why put them in a bad light instead of just saying "what a great guy, i wish i played with him"?

Why i even started this? I just found i i prejudge people or something... :rolleyes:

Just dont answer me... please :rolleyes:

fgsfds-
26-04-2013, 09:36
I deal with some "special children" at my workplace and two of the closest people in my life are very likely to have the Asperger's. They are great people and I feel a bit offended that someone sees such syndromes in such a negative light that it's wrong to even propose someone has them. Same goes with CP and other neurological disabilities.
They're not mental disorders, they're nothing to be ashamed of (and neither are mental disorders at that). If these topics were discussed more openly, maybe they wouldn't be such taboos.
I don't think Eldartank said anyting wrong.
//OT

Kids are actually very fun to play with, they don't take the game all too seriously. Or at least the ones I lead in a Warhammer club. We have never finished a game as they can only concentrate on one thing for some 10 minutes, but they sure enjoy the games. It's more of an RPG to them rather than a wargame: they shout out slogans and commands as they move or shoot with their armies, and for every fallen model they cry out a death scream etc. They enjoy the missions more than pitched battles.
They're pretty cool.

lantzkev
26-04-2013, 09:56
What he did wrong was assume someone had a disorder just because they were smart and awkward at the age of 12 based off of an internet post.

hd.40
26-04-2013, 14:55

While this is a likelyhood, I've known him for a long time now. I think its more of a only child, akward kid, didn't have many friends situation.

Chaospling
07-05-2013, 14:28
Well clearly Eldartank didn't mean anything offensively by it, it was just what he concluded MIGHT have been. If hd.40 knows the guy and says he's not like that, then so be it. If people took it offensively, then maybe they themselves have some kind of problem with people who have a disorder. Please don't be on edge like this, Eldartank worded the post casually and kind.

Chaospling
07-05-2013, 14:50
If that is what you got out of my posts, I wont speak for others, then there is a problem with snap judgments, but they are on your end. You probably don't get it, but once someone is slapped with a label, it is really hard to get rid of it.

Actually it's somehow you, who don't see it. It's you who're seeing the label on the guy, though you do it more or less unconsciously. I know it's a dangerous area to step into because people can get upset if they're on the verge of finding something negative about themselves and the thread is not about this, but when people don't shy from semi-attacking Eldartank, then I won't keep off.
You're talking about the label and the world, and you are correct, but that's their problem. If you are not like that and when reading Eldartank's post, you can see he's not like that, then why bring the topic up that some people have an incorrect view at people with disorder? The answer is that you actually have a prejudice. Actually we all have more or less, also Eldartank, but in this case you revealed your prejudice most clearly, like the rest who also have a problem with Eldartank's post.

If anyone wants to give a reply to this and want to "get right back at me", then please think it through, because it's an interesting subject where we all can learn much about ourselves.

NemoSD
07-05-2013, 16:28
Actually it's somehow you, who don't see it. It's you who're seeing the label on the guy, though you do it more or less unconsciously. I know it's a dangerous area to step into because people can get upset if they're on the verge of finding something negative about themselves and the thread is not about this, but when people don't shy from semi-attacking Eldartank, then I won't keep off.
You're talking about the label and the world, and you are correct, but that's their problem. If you are not like that and when reading Eldartank's post, you can see he's not like that, then why bring the topic up that some people have an incorrect view at people with disorder? The answer is that you actually have a prejudice. Actually we all have more or less, also Eldartank, but in this case you revealed your prejudice most clearly, like the rest who also have a problem with Eldartank's post.

If anyone wants to give a reply to this and want to "get right back at me", then please think it through, because it's an interesting subject where we all can learn much about ourselves.

Here is your problem. Let me break it down.

Based on less then half a page of text, which barely talked about actual social encounters in any meaningful way, Eldartank felt it appropriate to diagnose someone he never met with a pretty big diagnosis. This here is the root of the problem I had with the posts. Snap judgments like that are dangerous. Here is what happens.

John: "Hmm, after reading ten lines about this guy, I think he might have 'condition.'"
Paul: "Really? Carl has 'condition.'"
John: "Well it looks like it! I mean look at 'behavior' reported third party, after the fact, and in brief!"
Paul: "Oh, well we will have to walk on egg shells around him, I mean he has 'condition.'"

It is not the fact that I, or others apply negativity to it, but that I understand the power of the rumor mill, and that snap judgments embed themselves faster in a social environment than the truth, or correction. Snap judgments about ANYTHING is bad, not just this specific case. The same thing happens to women in gaming, happens to fat people, etc...

There is where my problem is, and so many readers here would rather see me as racist, prejudiced, or a bad person because, quite simply, it is easier to label someone than it is to acknowledge that such labeling is perhaps incorrect. The fact is, when I posted saying it is irresponsible to label someone so quickly with so little information, the responses immediately labeled me having a problem with a spectrum disorder. This brought a smile to my face, because you did exactly what I was pointing out Eldartank did. You made a snap judgment based on insufficient information, and have now labeled me prejudice, and then you took it a step further. You told me I was broken, and that I needed to change. Without knowing a damned thing about me. Kudos sir, kudos, for demonstrating the danger of the very thing I mentioned.

I talked about snap judgments and labels with to little information.

Chaospling
07-05-2013, 19:25
Here is your problem. Let me break it down.

Based on less then half a page of text, which barely talked about actual social encounters in any meaningful way, Eldartank felt it appropriate to diagnose someone he never met with a pretty big diagnosis. This here is the root of the problem I had with the posts. Snap judgments like that are dangerous. Here is what happens.

John: "Hmm, after reading ten lines about this guy, I think he might have 'condition.'"
Paul: "Really? Carl has 'condition.'"
John: "Well it looks like it! I mean look at 'behavior' reported third party, after the fact, and in brief!"
Paul: "Oh, well we will have to walk on egg shells around him, I mean he has 'condition.'"

This is how the world is according to you and I agree to some extent, but this is where it's fundamentally wrong - Paul's last reply. Because then Paul have a prejudice. If someone has a disorder, then so be it, don't lie about it or cover it up, call it exactly what it is; if someone has a prejudice or can't handle it, then there's the problem and that's where we should face it.

Fair enough that you don't have such a prejudice but we can't walk on egg shells because some are ignorant or have prejudices. Yep I made a snap judgement about you, we had a conversation, and behold, I'm enlightened! If we didn't communicate like this, then I would just sit in my chair and think it and you can't stop people making snap judgements - it's only natural and it's okay. What is not okay, is that a person is dead certain that the snap judgement will hold forever and never change and neither I or Eldartank made that mistake.

John could have ended the conversation with "No that's not necessary at all, check out the condition at wikipedia. Carl doesn't have to be treated differently than the rest of us. Actually I think you would like him."

Ruination Drinker
07-05-2013, 23:04
Since, I'm really enjoying reading everyone's experiences with Bad Players in Retrospectus' thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?370369-worst-players) I thought I'd turn it around and ask what are some of the Best Players you have played against? By "best" I mean the best experience.

Mine was a tournament where my friend and I were allied against another team. We were really getting smashed, and our spirits were starting to dwindle as the pounding continued. These guys knew they were winning and they started to do some things that were obviously for our benefit, like "forgetting" to shoot with a unit, or charging into melee for the heck of it. We had a few successes due to their efforts to make the game a little more fun for everyone involved. I've really taken that to heart, as I never enjoy just beating the heck out of my opponent (unless they deserve it) and good times were had by all.

I used to play with a guy who used to do art for GW way back in the days. He wasn't the most competitive player in the world, but Mark's Nurgle Marines were the most beautiful models I ever saw. About half of them would die from his berzerking dreadnoughts but we still had a great time laughing about it.

Stacius
07-05-2013, 23:19
I will be honest, I have played loads of great opponents and some real stinkers too. My tourney experiences have been great and the majority of my regular opponents have always given me good games. One game I remember was that close, that every solitary dice roll mattered. Neither had amazing luck, nor terrible. It was genuinely all tactics. I won, but afterwards we both said how that was the best game we had played, tactically. It got so intense at one point, and concentration so high that we honestly both didn't hear his phone ring on the table. Lol however, I also love it when a guy you teach absolutely crushes you. He/she uses tactics you haven't taught them, or just surprises you with a move. It makes me feel good to know I have helped, even a tiny bit, to make this seriously good gamer, and know that they will go on to give good, fun and fair games to their opponents. After all, a hobbys only fun if everyone enjoys it right?