PDA

View Full Version : Tau Pathfinders - weapon options

Shidensen
21-04-2013, 22:00
Hi - I decided to get my first real 40k army last week (being mainly a Fantasy player) with the new Tau codex, I had borrowed a friend's Grey Knights army for a while but I didn't play too many games with them. (so forgive me if I'm iffy on rules)

I picked up a Pathfinders box last night and I'm not sure what weapons to give the unit. I only put together a few of the models, since I know their main use will be for markerlights. Is it worth it to give some models rail rifles or ion rifles over the pulse carbines?

I know you can only have 3 per unit so I was figuring to make two squads of 4 with pulse carbine/markerlight and 1 with rail rifle. Is this a sound decision or no? Thanks for any input.

Zabousta
22-04-2013, 00:39
As with any unit in the game, equip them appropriate to your opponent. Rail rifles would do very well against marine lists as the ap1 would penetrate tactical and terminator armour. Ion can threaten tougher units and light vehicles. The blast on the ion makes it viable against lightly armoured blobs.

After that....the pulse accelerator drone would put out a lot of Str 5 shots at a good range.

just remember that markerlights are their primary purpose, and everything else is second.

ikit
22-04-2013, 00:43
just remember that markerlights are their primary purpose, and everything else is second.

An important thing I've learned the hard way.

KhornateLord
22-04-2013, 00:52
To start with, it's probably better just to use markerlights, and forgo upgrades. Keep the bits for the upgrades, and buy another box at some point in the future and give it all upgrades if you need them.

Markerlights are amazing, and really beef up everything in your army. So don't get distracted and spend more points making an AMAZING support unit slightly more dangerous in terms of damage itself.

These guys are a force multiplier, they make everything else you field better :)

Fallen11
22-04-2013, 07:57
Note that if you field stuff that kills marines,enemy might have them on higher 'kill priority' list. And you don't want him to focus them.

Mr. Shine
22-04-2013, 21:03
My opinion is that you pay for their Markerlights, and Markerlights are their strength. Equiping them otherwise is compromising their stand-out purpose. Which is Markerlights.

Shadeseraph
22-04-2013, 22:13
Note that if you field stuff that kills marines,enemy might have them on higher 'kill priority' list. And you don't want him to focus them.

Against anyone with at least a bit of experience against Tau, pathfinders are priority targets from the start. Otherwise, they are dead.

Actually, I like the new weapon options, they are relatively powerful, and if you have got your ML needs filled through other means (more pathfinders, ML drones, firesight marksmans...), they can be a decent "mixed purpose" unit, mounted in a devilfish. They can do the old Fish of Fury tactic far better than any fire warrior, if you give them a couple drones, and the extra firepower the special weapons grant can prove invaluable at cleaning flanks. Outflanking them can be quite powerful, too.

Once they are done, they can provide extra markerlight support to the rest of the army.

If you want the guys for their markerlighting abilities only, though, I wouldn't bother. Keep 'em cheap.

Mazryonh
23-04-2013, 01:16

If Forge World units like the Pathfinder Tetra (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Tau/TAU-VEHICLES/TAU-PATHFINDER-TETRAS.html) (which has a "High-Intensity Markerlight" with more shots than the man-portable variety), the XV-84 Crisis Battlesuit (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Tau/TAU-BATTLESUITS-AND-DRONES/XV84-CRISIS-BATTLESUIT.html) (which has a fixed markerlight on a commander battlesuit or one that can be used by a commander's bodyguard), and the Remote Sensor Tower (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Tau/TAU-TURRETS/TAU-SENSOR-TOWER.html) (which has a TL markerlight and improves a single Tau unit's shooting within a certain radius) became "Warhammer 40,000 approved," we would have other viable markerlight platforms. Sadly, without them the Pathfinders are a bit of a "too many eggs in one basket" unit, and so they get most if not all the laser designator duty. Besides, Sniper Drones can handle sniping duty (though not as well as Rail Rifle or Ion Rifle equipped Pathfinders).

treehugger03
23-04-2013, 01:39
I was intrigued by the possibility of Darkstrider with a small squad of Ion Rifle pathfinders. Overcharging the Ion rifles with Darkstrider dropping toughness by 1 could make for a cool IC assassination squad.