PDA

View Full Version : Re-starting Warhammer (lizardmen)

Snoozer
22-04-2013, 12:57
Hello all,
I used to be a pretty frequent visitor of Warseer until a couple years ago (reading, not so much posting), but even then I mostly had stopped playing/painting by 2007-2008 and mostly came here for random musings and non-warhammer related chat.
Having just bought a flat and in the process of moving I ran into my ‘start of a’ lizardmen army (16 saurus with hw + hero on foot, 24 skinks with javelins and shields, 3 kroxigors and 6 chameleon skinks). Only the skinks have been painted, so it got me in the mood for actually painting the rest.

Also having roped some friends to start with me this time around, I have a feeling this is going to be more successful return to the game compared to the last few. I’ve been browsing the forums again for a couple days, but it is a very daunting task when everything is completely new.

So now to my actual question: I was mostly wondering if anyone could give me a “short” update as to what has been happening in the world of warhammer, especially when it comes to lizardmen. I am mostly interested in knowing what the current opinions are on the different units. I do have the 7th edition army book, which I’m assuming is the most up to date, but not having played since 6ed and not having read the 8th ed rule book yet, it is hard to see how the units would perform with all the new rules.
It looks like infantry on the whole has got quite a bit of a change, has this affected the lizardmen positively or negatively? Are saurus warriors better or worse after the changes? I always planned to have a carnosaurus mounted general, but not sure how it has survived the rule changes either. Also how is magic in this edition? I never planned to take a slann before, but you never know.

I don’t generally mind if my army list is the most competitive or not, as I only play with friends, and usually pick units that I like the idea of (like the carnosaurus), but would be good to know the general consensus of what is worth its points and what might be a bit too much so (i.e. I don’t wanna build a cheesefest of an army).

Secondly, does anyone know which models would be up for update next? It seems that the terradons got redone at some point, but not a big fan of them, but at the same time I’m not sure if it is just the pictures or if they look better in real life. Still eyeing up some old models on ebay just incase
That’s about it, sorry for the relatively rambly post, but basically I just wanna know what I missed while I was away :p

P.S. I also have about 3000pts of O&G (although I never got around to shipping them over when I moved for the first time), so any news on them as well would be appreciated.

Horus38
22-04-2013, 17:50
8th is by far the best edition I've played in (since starting in 5th) and I also came back after taking a break from during 6th/7th edition. So welcome back! Lizardmen are my bread and butter WHFB army and there's some comprehensive threads in the tactics section for them as an army, but I'll throw out some quick highlights:

* Carnosaur is not often taken/competitive due to its per-ponderance to die to cannons/other higher initiative monsters.
* Slann are loving 8th edition magic, one of the best casters around.
* Infantry has been buffed in 8th, and big blocks of saurus are generally seen as desirable.

The Lizardmen are rumored to be getting a new book soon, the rumors vaguely place them later this year (3rd/4th quarter). Most of the existing models are not likely to get a re-sculpt/re-box. The trend has been to fill in missing unit entries, a new big multi-purpose plastic monster kit, box of plastic monstrous cavalry, and a couple new hero sculpts. So in short, you'll enjoy our current army iteration, and be able to look forward to the next book soon with some new toys.

Snoozer
23-04-2013, 09:01
8th is by far the best edition I've played in (since starting in 5th)...
* Infantry has been buffed in 8th, and big blocks of saurus are generally seen as desirable.

That is good to hear, especially about infantry possibly being buffed, I love big units of infantry (which is why my first army was O&G).
My first few army lists of lizardmen also always included a couple saurus blocks and a unit of temple guards. I’ve since tried to move more towards the big monsters theme (just so it would be completely different from my O&G), but we’ll see how long I can hold on before I go and order a bunch of rank-n-file again.
I've ordered the 8th edition rule book and now really looking forward to reading it. Thank you for your reply :D

quina2525
23-04-2013, 09:08
Hello all,
I used to be a pretty frequent visitor of Warseer until a couple years ago (reading, not so much posting), but even then I mostly had stopped playing/painting by 2007-2008 and mostly came here for random musings and non-warhammer related chat.
Having just bought a flat and in the process of moving I ran into my ‘start of a’ lizardmen army .

You just explained my warhammer life when I just got back into it 6 months ago =P

Latro_
29-04-2013, 09:47
out of interest, what does a typical 2000-3000pt compettive lizardman army look like?

Kayosiv
29-04-2013, 21:35
Here's my current 2500 point list, but there are many ways to run Lizardmen. Some enjoy double Slann while others prefer a massive skink army that drowns the enemies in poison blow pipes. I prefer a mix of infantry, monsters, strong characters and some skink support.

Lords: 567
GENERAL: Slann (Sotarkesh): 1 Disciplines of the Ancients. Lore of Heavens.
Magic Items: Dispel Scroll
Disciplines of the Ancients: Focused Rumination (+1 free power dice per cast).
4+ Ward save.

Lord: Saurus Old Blood (Kro’Qua): Great Weapon
Mount: Cold One,suffers from Stupidity.
Magic Items: Glittering Scale Armor, Opal Amulet. Venom of the firefly frog
+2 Strength, strike last, 4+ ward save 1 use only. -1 to be hit in combat poisoned Attacks.

Heroes:
BATTLE STANDARD BEARER: Scar-Veteran (Kai’Que): BSB, great weapon.
Mount: Cold One, suffers from Stupidity.
Magic Items: Armor of Fortune, Stone of Good Luck
1+ armor save, 5+ ward save, may reroll first failed armor save.

Core : 960
30 Saurus Warriors with full command.
30 Saurus Warriors with full command.
10 Skink cohorts with javelins and shields.
10 Skink cohorts with javelins and shields.
10 Skink skirmishers with blowpipes.
10 Skink skirmishers with blowpipes.
Special: 361
10 Chameleon skinks with stalker.
Stegadon
Rare: 435
1 Salamander with 4 skink crew
1 salamander with 4 skink crew
Ancient Stegadon

quina2525
29-04-2013, 22:57
I wouldn't take lore of heavens on the slann, it generally the least used lore cause you can take a skink priest for 65 points that can use it too. I usually use lore of light because it boosts the saurus main weaknesses of low weaponskill and low initiative, and turns them into killing machines. Lore of life is popular aswell, check the lores out before you stick with heavens. Cause you could drop a unit of skinks and take a skink priest with some points left over.

:)

Cheers
John

Kayosiv
29-04-2013, 23:23
check the lores out before you stick with heavens. Cause you could drop a unit of skinks and take a skink priest with some points left over.

I've played a 3 to a dozen games with every lore. Heavens just fits my playstyle. I like how it has strength 6 missles and the majority of the spells are easy to cast. Light always seems to let me down because I never have enough power dice to get more than a couple spells off or I just get unlucky and fail some of the bubble versions.

Now if only windblast wasn't worthless...

Daemonn
30-04-2013, 09:12
I really like the idea of Stegadons filling special and rare. I would take one bolt thrower and one double blow pipe, seems to be a nice mix to me.

quina2525
30-04-2013, 09:16
I've played a 3 to a dozen games with every lore. Heavens just fits my playstyle. I like how it has strength 6 missles and the majority of the spells are easy to cast. Light always seems to let me down because I never have enough power dice to get more than a couple spells off or I just get unlucky and fail some of the bubble versions.

Now if only windblast wasn't worthless...

Fair enough, each to their own I suppose :)
I remember I rolled chain lightning for my skink priest and destroyed a hellblaster volley gun in turn one with it, was epic ;)

Horus38
30-04-2013, 19:07
Fair enough, each to their own I suppose :)

And for me it's the Lore of Life. Where's my toughness 8 Saurus with regeneration at!!