PDA

View Full Version : Mono Nurgle Daemons any good?

Latro_
23-04-2013, 21:35
So i'v been challenged to get my fantasy army sorted and back in 7th i started a daemons army and really only got a handle on the basic rules (40k player).

With the new book i thought i'd get that and start the army up again and fancied doing a themed nurgle army. Now i don't wanna get my backside handed to me so is this a silly idea? Not looking to kill it at tournaments but don't wanna get smashed every game.

What'd be a decent 2000-3000 nurgly army? What would you take?

Prob playing a fair bit of: chaos warriors/knights, ogres, trolls themed chaos army, high elves, orcs

JDV311
24-04-2013, 00:53
Well, I'm currently working on an all Nurgle army (2500pts). It consists of of GUO (fully kitted out), Epidemius, Herald of Nurgle w/5+poison, 21 plaguebearers, 24 plaguebearers, 3 Nurglings, 2 units of 4 Beasts and Nurgle Soulgrinder w/flame cannon. It may not wipe the table but it has potential after 2 levels of buffs from Epidemius. I'm really looking forward to playing it.

datalink7
24-04-2013, 00:54
Great Unclean One
Epedemius

Bunch of Plaguebearers

Some Beasts of Nurgle (maybe in singles, maybe one unit of 6)

Two Soulgrinders of Nurgle with either Flame Template or Stone Thrower upgrade

Kalandros
24-04-2013, 04:42
I'd try it without the GUO~ (:

selecta
24-04-2013, 05:18
Well I have a mono army with the possible exeption of a skull I have in 2500 6 drones, 22 pb, 30 pb, hearld with fecundity, two units of three beast of nurgle and a GUO. In 3000 I plan to use Epedemius with a soul grinder.

Evil Hypnotist
24-04-2013, 07:08
I think the new book has made Nurgle the only viable mono-God army IMO. I am thinking of selling off my other bits and going Nurgle all the way in a couple of months. Would be interested to see how you find it!

Latro_
24-04-2013, 08:31
Cheers for the replies guys.

Theme runnign appears to be couple of units of PBs (6x5?), dual soulgrinders, beasts, a guo and heralds etc for magic

I have 29 plague bearers already and I think i can nab my defiler from my DG army as a SG as he's not doing so well in that universe :D. Flame cannon seems pretty decent since he can move and fire it? that the norm?

I read review that DP's might possess enemy wizards? is it worth having a spare model handy?

Lorcryst
24-04-2013, 10:03
I also have a Nurgle DoC army, here's what I found in my last couple of games :

At 2000~3000 points, depending on your local metagame, a GUO/DP can be a liability ... depends on the amount of canons really ...

Same thing for a Soulgrinder, maybe even worse as the model is taller than the current GW Greater Daemons/Daemon Prince ...

Big blocks (30+) of Plaguebearers with a Herald with regen locus don't go anywhere fast, they may lack a bit of punch against T4 opponents, but they soak punishment like ever-hungry sponges ... go deep with them, for Steadfast, and combo-charges some Beasts in the flanks, and you'll grind anything, eventually ...

Nurglings are a bit nerfed (lost Poison, cost raised by 5, got a wound and an attack for that), but they are still very durable and nasty, plus Scouts are always nice to have ...

Yes, a Soulgrinder can move (not march !) and fire his weapon, also it has the basic "grapeshot cannon" on top of any upgrade you choose for it, I missed that in my first games ...

As far as possessing, I think you've got things confuzzled with the WoC book : the "11" result of the Reign of Chaos table forces an enemy, non-Daemonic random wizard to make a LD test, and if failed he's removed as a casualty and you can place a Herald (your choice) within 6 inches of his position (if you have the model, as per standard GW policy).

Can be really nasty ...

Metacarpi
24-04-2013, 10:35
Here's what I've got @ 2,500 points - 2 units of Plaguebearers, one of 38, the other of 39. Each unit has FC and a Herald with the Lesser Locus, and with 50 points of Daemonic gifts. I also field Epidemius, 6 Beasts of Nurgle, a Nurgle marked Soulgrinder with Phlegm Bombardment, and 4 Nurgling bases.

Latro_
24-04-2013, 16:16
Ah thats useful to know, i take it though (after brief skim of rule book) they cannot fire two weapons like monsters in 40k ? :D.

I'll grab the army book at the weekend and a couple of boxes of plague bearers so i'll get a nice block of two.
Already got my defiler to convert to SG
I'm liking that beasts are not rubbish, i'll go for some of them i think. Might use FW toads and some converted river trolls

Then just need heros and maybe another SG and i should be golden at 2000-2500ish. Can always tweak stuff later, what i didnt wanna do is go to GW on sat buy a crap load of beasts or something only to find out they suck, on the face of it from what i'v been reading in this thread and online ... no nurgly daemon unit is actually 'bad' :D

Lorcryst
24-04-2013, 18:24
Nope, Soulgrinder cannot fire two weapons at once in Fantasy ... as far as I know, no unit can ...

Beasts are really good ... I only own two at the moment, so I didn't try the 4~6 strong unit, but as singles they work, sometimes you roll poorly for their D6+1 attacks, but on average they dish out 4, plus a Stomp, and best of all they can issue/accept challenges !
For 60 points, quite nasty ,if you have some luck, to assassinate characters :p

I'd say that a Herald BSB with the armour piercing banner in a block of Plaguebearers is a must, tough ... they already have S4 and Poison, that additionnal -1 to saves is the icing on the cake.

Brother Haephestus
24-04-2013, 20:04
In regards to having spare heralds (and daemons for that matter) , why would you want to sacrifice one of the few fairly decent results you can get from Reign of Chaos? YES take spares, for those rolls, and if your Heralds are casters have plaguebearers for Nurgle lore as well.

Nurgle has the only scouts in the book, and at -1 to hit those little Nurglings (and potential buffs from spellcasting) could really help you bog down an opponent's pincer movement.

A lot of people forget about this, but plague bearers with SB can take magic banners up to 25 pts. +1 Ld for the unit that's out of range from the general for 15 pts? Yes, please! +1 MR to give me a 4+ save on magic-caused wounds for 15 pts? Again, yes please!

Epidemius is too good not to take. I'd also expect most Nurgle to have just a slight pinch of 'real Khorne flavoring' for the Skull Cannon. I do think however that the Soul Grinder is pretty good replacing, again with the -1 to hit in CC.

Overall, I think Nurgle has the strongest choices from DoC. Be prepared for some fussing from opponents because of it.

selecta
24-04-2013, 20:09
pb with the banner of swiftness are pretty good too. I played in a tournament last weekend 2500 and I finished joint 3 rd.

Metacarpi
24-04-2013, 21:09
I fielded Beasts with the last army book as well. I'd advise getting the Plaguetoads from Forgeworld over the GW beasts. Yeah, they're on 50mm bases instead of 40mm (which as far as I can tell only disadvantages you, so your opponents are unlikely to complain), but the models are much nicer, and they're actually cheaper than buying 3 GW Beasts

Latro_
24-04-2013, 21:33
Yea i'v heard the skull cannon is pretty neat for the pts? Excuse my thickness but why is it so good that a cannon can move fast and be good in combat? it kinda sounds like its going off in two roles there? or is it soley that its a cannon thats hard to kill...

Beardyness aside, converting a nurgly one would be dead fun for me.

Metacarpi
24-04-2013, 21:39
The reason the cannon is seen as cheese is not because it performs two roles, but because it performs two roles well, and doesn't really pay the points for it. Not only is it a good cannon, and good in combat, but it can also regenerate wounds in CC

Latro_
25-04-2013, 09:17
Maybe its my competitive 'rar' side coming though but on the face of it after reading a few reviews of the book etc... Theme aside, why would you take 2 soul grinders when you could take like 4 skull cannons?

Would taking 4 of them be like spamming night scythes and wraiths in 40k

Metacarpi
25-04-2013, 10:20
Maybe its my competitive 'rar' side coming though but on the face of it after reading a few reviews of the book etc... Theme aside, why would you take 2 soul grinders when you could take like 4 skull cannons?

Would taking 4 of them be like spamming night scythes and wraiths in 40k

You're restircted with the numbers you can take by the BRB army composition. I think you can only take 2 of any Rare/Special choice.

Lorcryst
25-04-2013, 11:31
You're restircted with the numbers you can take by the BRB army composition. I think you can only take 2 of any Rare/Special choice.

Depends on the point level in fact.

Below 3K : 3 of the same Special choice, 2 of the same Rare choice.

3K and above : 6 of the same Special choice, 4 of the same Rare choice (Grand Army).

So at the 3K mark, you could take 4 Skull Cannons, provided your Rare section doesn't exceed 750 points.

SilasOfTheLambs
25-04-2013, 12:10
The problem with a pure mono-nurgle list is that I don't know how it kills anything with a decent armor save, given the GUO is probably not fast enough to catch it.

Ero-Senin
25-04-2013, 12:34
Depends on the point level in fact.

Below 3K : 3 of the same Special choice, 2 of the same Rare choice.

3K and above : 6 of the same Special choice, 4 of the same Rare choice (Grand Army).

So at the 3K mark, you could take 4 Skull Cannons, provided your Rare section doesn't exceed 750 points.

Got to be a little careful with this as you can only have 4 at 3K if you hit the 3K mark exactly (In most groups/tournies) so if your 3K list is 2999pts you can only have 2 skull cannons.

Latro_
25-04-2013, 12:38
Ah missed that bit, only got as far as the 25% thing for rare.

I'v heard this a couple of times about dealing with armoured stuff... My mate i'll be playing is a huge chaos warriors player he literally has huge amounts, his new army is basically all just knights!

Hence why i was thinking of getting as much cannon stuff in there even if it isnt technically nurgle :D

Lorcryst
25-04-2013, 14:45
Got to be a little careful with this as you can only have 4 at 3K if you hit the 3K mark exactly (In most groups/tournies) so if your 3K list is 2999pts you can only have 2 skull cannons.

That's a bit analy-retentive, IMHO ...

At least here in Belgium, we usually set the point value before making our army list, and if we decide to play a 3K game, we've said so in advance, so both players use the "Grand Army" rules, even if they cannot reach the 3000 points on the dot ...

It's quite difficult with most armies to reach "round" values when making an army list, but of course, each group/tournament has its own set of conventions.

Ero-Senin
25-04-2013, 14:49
That's a bit analy-retentive, IMHO ...

At least here in Belgium, we usually set the point value before making our army list, and if we decide to play a 3K game, we've said so in advance, so both players use the "Grand Army" rules, even if they cannot reach the 3000 points on the dot ...

It's quite difficult with most armies to reach "round" values when making an army list, but of course, each group/tournament has its own set of conventions.

I know what you mean. We kinda took the 3000pts plus to mean games set at over 3K because it is so difficult to hit a points amount on the dot.

selecta
25-04-2013, 16:15
I know what you mean. We kinda took the 3000pts plus to mean games set at over 3K because it is so difficult to hit a points amount on the dot.

There is normally good understanding between players if you go abit over.

Bodde1972
28-04-2013, 07:31
Im playing a mono Nurgle army with Epi. It does pretty well ..won my last 3 games against Empire, Ogres and Chaos Warriors and will be taking this list to a tournament in 2 weeks.
It doesnt deal much damage in the beginning but when the tally is on 14 then things start to go my way. They get almost unkillable and grind things down expecially with the poison attacks and high strength. You just need to be a bit carefull the first 2 turns.

GUO (Lvl4 , 75 points of gifts)
Herald (BSB+ Lvl 1 wiz + greater locus)
Epidemius
43 PB + full command + banner of swiftness
3 BoN
3 BoN
4 PD + banner
1 Soulgrinder

selecta
28-04-2013, 09:38
Im playing a mono Nurgle army with Epi. It does pretty well ..won my last 3 games against Empire, Ogres and Chaos Warriors and will be taking this list to a tournament in 2 weeks.
It doesnt deal much damage in the beginning but when the tally is on 14 then things start to go my way. They get almost unkillable and grind things down expecially with the poison attacks and high strength. You just need to be a bit carefull the first 2 turns.

GUO (Lvl4 , 75 points of gifts)
Herald (BSB+ Lvl 1 wiz + greater locus)
Epidemius
43 PB + full command + banner of swiftness
3 BoN
3 BoN
4 PD + banner
1 Soulgrinder

I think 6 drones is the perfect number

Lorcryst
28-04-2013, 09:43
Hmmm, I've had some success with only 3 drones ...

Those are "flying monstrous cavalry", meaning they are skirmishers, can never benefit from rank bonuses, and only the riders get to make supporting attacks ... out of 6 drones, I'd think that 3 are only there to soak wounds, but with T5, 3 wounds and a 5+ ward they are surprisingly durable.

Plus, there's the real life cash problem to consider ...

I always take a full command and the Gleaming Pennant on mine, even in 800 points game (no other options, they weight in at 200 points on the dot).
But the "death heads" upgrade is not very worth it in my opinion, 3 shots of thrown weapons with a range of 12 inches is a bit "meh".

selecta
28-04-2013, 13:55
Hmmm, I've had some success with only 3 drones ...

Those are "flying monstrous cavalry", meaning they are skirmishers, can never benefit from rank bonuses, and only the riders get to make supporting attacks ... out of 6 drones, I'd think that 3 are only there to soak wounds, but with T5, 3 wounds and a 5+ ward they are surprisingly durable.

Plus, there's the real life cash problem to consider ...

I always take a full command and the Gleaming Pennant on mine, even in 800 points game (no other options, they weight in at 200 points on the dot).
But the "death heads" upgrade is not very worth it in my opinion, 3 shots of thrown weapons with a range of 12 inches is a bit "meh".

You make some good points there. I might have to re-read the rules on flyers. Also I think I might try out horde rules with PB with high elves.

Alister
01-05-2013, 17:56
Mono Nurgle can be VERY powerfull (almost unbeatable) if you take as many BoN as you can field. A friend of mine does that (3x6 but uses fillers), and after reading this thread I understand how big of a power player he can be some times! Anyways, as I can see it the key is BoN plus epidemus and strong magic, hoping to buff all your army ASAP, and after the epidemus T buff the army becomes almost unstopable!

selecta
02-05-2013, 21:49
epidemus is pretty amazing once he gets started but keep him alive for as long as possible is key. the only thing I would change is give a rule so he could benefit from look out sir.