PDA

View Full Version : Skimmers on oval bases?

soviet
23-04-2013, 22:32
So I'm building a Tau army and I'm thinking of putting my Devilfish on the big oval bases you get with flyers. I'm not going to put it on the tall flyer stem, I'm just going to mount the normal short plastic stem onto the oval base so I have a larger ground area to model details on. I'm doing it because I think it will look better, not for any kind of tactical advantage.

So my question is: will this be an advantage in game, a disadvantage, or neither/both? Would you have a problem with it if I was your opponent?

Deris87
23-04-2013, 22:39
So I'm building a Tau army and I'm thinking of putting my Devilfish on the big oval bases you get with flyers. I'm not going to put it on the tall flyer stem, I'm just going to mount the normal short plastic stem onto the oval base so I have a larger ground area to model details on. I'm doing it because I think it will look better, not for any kind of tactical advantage.

So my question is: will this be an advantage in game, a disadvantage, or neither/both? Would you have a problem with it if I was your opponent?

If anything it'd probably be more of a disadvantage because it's almost guaranteed to increase the footprint that your vehicles take up, making it easier to assault and more difficult to avoid landing in terrain. As far as being a problem, depends on how pedantic your opponent is, but technically it's not allowed by the rules--you have to use the base provided with the model. Realistically though, nothing springs to mind in the way of unfair advantages, just drawbacks.

Nikolaus
23-04-2013, 22:56
If anything it'd probably be more of a disadvantage because it's almost guaranteed to increase the footprint that your vehicles take up, making it easier to assault and more difficult to avoid landing in terrain. As far as being a problem, depends on how pedantic your opponent is, but technically it's not allowed by the rules--you have to use the base provided with the model. Realistically though, nothing springs to mind in the way of unfair advantages, just drawbacks.

blocking assaults? blocking LoS if the base is modeled in certain ways.. they are on clear bases for a reason.

Emperors Teeth
23-04-2013, 23:03
I always planned on mounting mine on the big 60mm base. It's smaller than the oval but should still support the tank well. It shouldn't make much if any difference in-game as being a vehicle, the base plays no part in its rules; You still use the hull for all measurements.

tau_caste
23-04-2013, 23:36
I always planned on mounting mine on the big 60mm base. It's smaller than the oval but should still support the tank well. It shouldn't make much if any difference in-game as being a vehicle, the base plays no part in its rules; You still use the hull for all measurements.

agreed, i cant see what difference a base makes with vehicles, ive always been thinking about chucking rhinos on the big square fantasy monster bases because i always seem to rub paint off the corners. As for clear bases are made clear for a reason... what about all the people (especially GW staff) who spray the whole thing black? i personally put sand and static grass on mine so they match the rest of the army. i cant see how it would ever block line of site on a skimmer seeing as the base is generally treated as non-existant in my opinion.. and as for models should always be put on the base supplied.. tell that to all the space marine players who put commanders on bigger bases (me being one) find me the paragraph in the rulebook that says it MUST go on the base supplied. oh and that also goes for tyranids.. half the biovores out there came with a 40mm, and the other half with a 60mm

Deris87
23-04-2013, 23:45
blocking assaults? blocking LoS if the base is modeled in certain ways.. they are on clear bases for a reason.

I'm AFB right, but I'm quite certain either in the BYB or the FAQ it specifically addresses terrain modeled on scenic bases not counting for anything ("you can't take your cover with you"). As far as assault blocking, I'd have to see just how a devilfish sits on an oval base, but if the base sticks past the length of the hull much at all I'd be surprised. Any potential advantage from that I think is more than offset by the increased surface area when it comes to assaulting the devilfish itself. Regardless, it's kind of a moot point as the rules say no. If soviet wants to talk to his group about house-ruling it that's entirely up to them.

the base plays no part in its rules; You still use the hull for all measurements.

At least in terms of assaulting, you measure to either the hull or the base. Plenty of smaller skimmers like a Vyper or Landspeeder have the base stick out past the model.

soviet
24-04-2013, 00:28
I can't see anything in the rules about it being forbidden. And like others I have marine captains and even veteran sergeants on 40mm bases, it's just a nice way of making them stand out a bit more.

The cover thing won't be an issue, I'm not putting a wall on the base or anything, just rough ground texture. The fish will still overlap the base at almost every point anyway.

tau_caste
24-04-2013, 00:42
the only issue i see is that assaults in certain points might be a bit different.. but the only way it would affect it is assaults going to a point where the base overlaps.. the way i see it is it should on only overlap a small bit and therefore they might get half an inch extra charge range. shooting is always to the hull of vehicles so yeah its only if someone comes at the side with a power fist might get that extra tiny bit..

overall id say its your model, do what YOU want and not what someone else says. you paid good money for it, its not giving you an advantage so no one should care seeing as vehicles dont charge and if you do a tank shock, just measure from the hull like everyone else