PDA

View Full Version : Futurama cancelled (again)

Arnizipal
24-04-2013, 10:33
Comedy Central will not renew its contract for Futurama, meaning the series will end in September.
Full story here (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/22/futurama-ending-this-summer-cancelled-canceled-by-comedy-central).

Bad news again :(
Was the decline in viewers really that bad?

eldargal
24-04-2013, 11:43
Aw, and I just finished my Rule 63 Zapp Brannigan cosplay outfit.:( A decline from 2.6m viewers in 2010 to 1.7 in 2012 is fairly significant though.

Caiphas Cain
24-04-2013, 12:41
Man, that sucks. :(

cornonthecob
24-04-2013, 13:46
Goddamit, my favirote cartoon axed again while crap still airs ....

Angelwing
25-04-2013, 05:44
Bah. One of the finest comedy tv shows out there. but if it has to go, let it go while its good unlike its yellow counterpart.

Charax
25-04-2013, 06:18
Aw, and I just finished my Rule 63 Zapp Brannigan cosplay outfit

Most important part of the thread

eldargal
25-04-2013, 07:36
Heh. I actually stole the idea off this young woman (http://demonsee.tumblr.com/post/15732350137/rule-63-capt-zapp-brannigan) (SFW), whom I do not know, after it popped up on a cosplay feed. Mine is a more well made if I do say so.

blackcherry
25-04-2013, 12:09
I'm glad its cancelled. Theres been a noticeable decline in quality even if its still been enjoyable to watch. Its best not to drag things out until it becomes one of those shows that people only talk about to say "remember when that show was good?".

simonr1978
25-04-2013, 13:29
I'm glad its cancelled. Theres been a noticeable decline in quality even if its still been enjoyable to watch. Its best not to drag things out until it becomes one of those shows that people only talk about to say "remember when that show was good?".

Whilst I wouldn't go as far to say that I'm glad it's being cancelled, I have to agree that the quality has declined. There were a few episodes in the most recent seasons in which I thought seemed like they were struggling for ideas a bit or which just seemed really a bit pointless. Hopefully it'll bounce back a bit and finish on a high.

Inquisitor Engel
25-04-2013, 17:37
I wouldn't put it past Turner Broadcasting to pick it up and commission new episodes for Cartoon Network.

War Angel
01-05-2013, 03:51
It occurred to me that it might find it's way back to Cartoon Network as iirc it was there before. That channel has a history of reviving shows. Maybe it just needs some time off in reruns to get it back to it's former glory.

Schmapdi
01-05-2013, 05:05
Loved the old episodes - never found the new episodes that entertaining.

Plus it seems like everytime I'm bored and flip past Comedy Central and Futurama is on, it's always one of the old episodes I've seen 6 times.

Liber
01-05-2013, 07:41
it seems like everytime I'm bored and flip past Comedy Central and Futurama is on, it's always one of the old episodes I've seen 6 times.

This, a THOUSAND TIMES this...nay ONE MILLION times this!

I only recently (3-4 months ago) noticed that there were 'new' Futurama episodes and started too actively look for them whilst channel surfing. And yet it was so damned difficult to find any dated 2012 or 2013 that I just plain ole gave up on it. I have no interest in watching the same great episodes that I've already seen from the early 2000's again and again and again. Seriously this might be a programming error rather than the fault of the people that work on the show.

And now I have too Google 'rule 63' as I am assuming it was not a typo (off by one digit?)... :shifty:

eldargal
01-05-2013, 08:08
Rule 63 is that for every male character there is a female version.:p

I'm torn between my wish for Futurama to go out on top and a desire for new episodes. So a break might do them good as someone said. I'm actually half a season behind so that may be colouring my opinion if it does become somewhat dire in later episodes.

ChrisMurray
01-05-2013, 08:50
I wasn't aware Futurama was still going. I thought it finished years ago now I will have to go look into the new episodes. It's a shame it has finished. I know here in the UK it isn't shown on any of the free tv channels (freeview) and so guess it most be shown on a sky tv channel which will hinder how many view on our little island. I always thought it would do well being shown on a sunday night on BBC3 next to Family Guy and American Dad.

Eldargal, thanks for the link that looks really cool and you say yours is even better!

Shush
01-05-2013, 14:08
Heh. I actually stole the idea off this young woman (http://demonsee.tumblr.com/post/15732350137/rule-63-capt-zapp-brannigan) (SFW), whom I do not know, after it popped up on a cosplay feed. Mine is a more well made if I do say so.

Good plan Stan!

blackcherry
01-05-2013, 15:47
I wasn't aware Futurama was still going. I thought it finished years ago now I will have to go look into the new episodes. It's a shame it has finished. I know here in the UK it isn't shown on any of the free tv channels (freeview) and so guess it most be shown on a sky tv channel which will hinder how many view on our little island. I always thought it would do well being shown on a sunday night on BBC3 next to Family Guy and American Dad.

Eldargal, thanks for the link that looks really cool and you say yours is even better!

If you have freeview, new episodes up on some of the channels available from time to time like pick TV

Morathi's Darkest Sin
01-05-2013, 16:22
I know here in the UK it isn't shown on any of the free tv channels (freeview) and so guess it most be shown on a sky tv channel.

Sky One, on Friday evenings. It's probably down to the airtight deal they have for new episodes of the Simpsons. Although you'd think Channel 4 or even five would have tried to snap it up by now.

Scaryscarymushroom
02-05-2013, 20:21
My fiancee and I watch Futurama all the time on Netflix instead of real TV. So we're part of the reason viewership is down. Sorry all. :shifty: