PDA

View Full Version : 2000 points Imperial empire: With Dwarves, Ogres and Halflings!

MLP
24-04-2013, 20:34
So I thought why not, I like the old style empire with as many humanoid races as I can find. So here's my 2000 point proxy list, what do you think?

Battle Wizard Lord: Level 4 Wizard; Warhorse (barding).
Wizards Firework Cart (Celestial Hurricanum)

Dwarven Thane (Captain of the Empire): Enchanted Shield; great weapon; full plate armour.
Captain of the Empire: full plate armour; shield; Battle Standard.
Dwarf Engineer (Master Engineer)
Halfling Captain (Captain of the Empire)

Ogre Halberdiers (30 Halberdiers) 180
Dwarf Thunderers (18 Handgunners): Marksman; musician; standard bearer.
Halfling Archers (15 Archers): Marksman; musician; standard bearer.

Border Patrol (5 Outriders): Sharpshooter; musician.
Dwarven Cannon (Great Cannon) 120
Imperial Dwarf Infantry (29 Greatswords): Count's Champion; standard bearer.
Halfling Rangers (15 Huntsmen): Tracker; musician; standard bearer.
Halfling Hotpot (Mortar)

1,985 points

I know it is probably too infantry heavy, but I hope the war machines and Hurricanium will help out with that. I've not put in any magic items at the moment so ill probably need to chop and change to fit in some essentials.

Let me know your thoughts on tactics(never played empire), will it lose a lot?, do you like the idea?, would you play me if I rocked up with this proxy army?

Cheers

Mark

MLP
27-04-2013, 17:47
A little bump to see if anyone has any thoughts?

BattleofLund
29-04-2013, 13:03
Ogre Halberdiers (30 Halberdiers) 180

My first thought is: what models will you use? One Ogre per 4 Halberdiers? All the other counts-as are pretty easy to see.

What will the Halfling Captain lead, one of the Halfling units? Never seen a Empire character volontarily join bowmen before. Perhaps a Halfling will be better represented by a Warrior Priest's profile? Lower WS, A, more of an inspirator than a stand-against-all-odds diehard fighter?

MLP
29-04-2013, 21:00
My first thought is: what models will you use? One Ogre per 4 Halberdiers? All the other counts-as are pretty easy to see.

What will the Halfling Captain lead, one of the Halfling units? Never seen a Empire character volontarily join bowmen before. Perhaps a Halfling will be better represented by a Warrior Priest's profile? Lower WS, A, more of an inspirator than a stand-against-all-odds diehard fighter?

My plan is to have the ogres interspersed with human halberdiers. Enough to show some ogres without it being confusing!

I like your idea about the warrior priest, it could represent a halfling chef! The halfling hero is there as i did plan to have some halfling spearmen in there but changed my mind.

Cheers for your input, how do you think the army would do in battle?

BattleofLund
30-04-2013, 21:11
How do you think the army would do in battle?

So I thought why not, I like the old style empire with as many humanoid races as I can find. So here's my 2000 point proxy list, what do you think?
[...]
Let me know your thoughts on tactics(never played empire), will it lose a lot?, do you like the idea?, would you play me if I rocked up with this proxy army?

In our gaming group, about half the members are a bit inert - ie, they make a list and stick with it FOREVER. Unfortunately this includes both our Empire players, so I've never faced a Hurricanum (to be fair it's only existed for what? a year?) or an Archer unit bigger than minimum. Given that...

We play mostly 2,400 and 2,500 pt games. With the advent of the 8th Ed book one Empire player went from having two Mortars, to sticking one in to fill up to 2,500 pts. Another went from having two Mortars, to playing Ogres. As far as I have seen, a Mortar still does well against Elves and expensive Hordes. Skaven don't care anymore.

The Halberdiers could probably stand being a bigger unit. Low WS and Sv means they will quickly take casualties that make them unfit for combat. On the other hand... your Greatswords will probably have 'threat-handling' as job description, and the Halberdiers will more be a defensive/supporting unit.

Handgunners: what I read on the 'Net is that these are bad, I don't understand that. I think this is a good unit, if a bit bigger than what I am used to seeing. And obviously not at all as good as the corresponding number of Thunderers, so some caution is needed. Sniper Rifle on the Marksman?

Most of your units I think will function well. Weaknesses I see: possibly your bowmen won't carry their weight. The units are bigger than most I see, or have seen at tournaments. But in a friendly environment, why not? Worth a try if you have the models anyway!

Re: theme and proxying. I love using 'alternative' or 'interpretative' models (ie a particularly aggressive Black Orc has muscled in and is carrying the banner of a Chaos Warrior unit, or the Dark Elf Shades are partially possessed by daemonic forces) - as long as some thought has gone into it, I wouldn't have any problems at all with counts-as units. Also love the army-period your idea is set in. The 'Imperial' version of Empire is my first strong impression of WFB.

DarKolia
01-05-2013, 11:35
Hi

I like your idea of using ogres as unit filler...
I was wondering what I should do with Kev Adams' foundry ogres (I have 4 I think)
http://kevadamschallenge.blogspot.fr/2010/08/foundry-fantasy-ogres.html
Thanks for the idea!
Sincerely

DarK

MLP
07-05-2013, 03:18
Cheers for the advice BattleofLund. Makes a lot of sense and has given me plenty to think about.

Darkkolia I'm not too keen on those ogre, I want mine to look a bit more human
These are more what I'm thinking:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k285/csabick/Lead%20Painters%20League/Round%209%20Ogres/BlueInVTRound9.jpg

BattleofLund
07-05-2013, 12:00
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k285/csabick/Lead%20Painters%20League/Round%209%20Ogres/BlueInVTRound9.jpg

So very Imperial!