PDA

View Full Version : What Army Lists allows for most Independent Characters...

Musa
27-05-2006, 00:02
...Or to say it better, What army list has the possibility to have the smallest Squads, and the most Independent Characters and Characters that Operate independently.

I have a Army idea where more or less it is just a collection of Strong Warriors and Heros gathered for one purpose or another. Each of the characters are to be Unique and have Unique weaponry, wargear, etc.
(I don't care about army Viability on the battlefield too much, but having an army that is viable would be nice too :P)

but I want an army where I can have around 10 Characters (Give or take a few) on the board around a 1500 pt. Game.

Any ideas?

scarvet
27-05-2006, 00:09
Ok, you can take you chance and try to have the unlimited Emperors Champion.

The next one will be Inquisition that you can take 9 death cult assassins.

Ofcourse, you can go for Tau and have all the Battle suit tool up, and all of them have drones.

boogle
27-05-2006, 00:23
Imperial Guard Easy - Every Officer is classed as an Independant Character, plus if you go down the Doctrines route, you could have 3 Engineseers and 3 Independant Commissars

Also they aren't Indpendant Characters as such, but Colonel Schaeffers Last Chancers can be taken as very small independant units

TomKamakazi
27-05-2006, 01:42
You could go for a proxy army and use a Tyranids "godzilla" list. Model each of your characters on a large base and use Carnifex stats.

Chem-Dog
27-05-2006, 02:24
Imperial Guard Easy - Every Officer is classed as an Independant Character, plus if you go down the Doctrines route, you could have 3 Engineseers and 3 Independant Commissars

Enginseers come with a 0-1 limit, two can be bought but a maximum of one FOC slot. 9 Independant Commissars can be included in a list (if you use the inquisition you can additionally include an allied Inquisitor Lord to give 10 IC's in one list, I would not like to be a grunt in that army, an Inquisitor and 9 Commissars wandering round suggests you're going up against something nasty. But you still have to include a veritable armfull of troops to make this a legal army.

Musa, you'll probably find one of the two Daemonhunters lists (or a combination of the two) most useful, each Inqisitor can be themed Combat Monster/Psychic Fiend/Ranged Nemesis are all fairly do-able and you can use a couple of small Stormtrooper squads (the veteran sergeants get access to some lovely wargear meaning they can stand in as a character with a small retinue) to make the army legal. A vague no points list would look something like this.

Daemonhunters
HQ1:-Inquisitor Lord (with Lots of Familiars and Psychic powers/equipment)
HQ2:-Allied Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor Lord (Close Combat loadout, backed up by Crusaders and Acolytes)I'm not 100% sure this is legal, so check first

Alternative HQ:- Grey Knights Hero (comes as standard as a hard as nails character, will soak up quite a few of those points.)

Elite 1:-Inquisitor (Terminator Armour, Psycannon and Gun servitors)
Elite 2:-Inquisitor (Null Rod and Imperial Guard Veterans)
Elite 3:-Death cult assassins (1-3, act as Independant Character)

Alternative Elite:- Officio Assassinorum Assassin (Quirky and Individual one to fit a specific Character, Vindicare as a Sniper, Eversor as a Psycho, Callidus as Spy and Culexus as some weird dude that freaks everybody out)

Troops1:- Inquisitorial Stormtroopers (Veteran Sergeant+wargear, 4 storm troopers)
Troops2:- Inquisitorial Stormtroopers (Veteran Sergeant+wargear, 4 storm troopers).

All inquisitors with retinues (lords are obliged to have a small retinue) can have their own transports and all without retinues may accompany any unit who has got a transport, so you coud feasably put practically everybody in their own Vehicle with a Mix of Rhinos and Chimeras to suit (if you wanted to get silly, you could buy a Landraider from the HS section and put a squad/retinue in that).

Is there anything specific you had in mind for this list Musa? You could use it to pretty much represent any small group you wanted, something Like the Justice League or the X-men would be do able.

Don't overlook the Killteam rules as a low key way of achieving the same basic aim.

Playa
27-05-2006, 04:32
Hey,

10 Characters...1500 pt

Thousand Sons list with 10 Characters:

1 Mandatory HQ - Ahriman

2 Mandatory Troops - 2x 5 Flamers

9 Chosen Champions as Retinue (333pts nekkid)

Now, add 675pts for Wargear, Daemonic Gifts and Psi Powers.

Bam! 20 models in 1500pts = 75ppm. That'll be hard to beat.

HTH.

Playa

roachvan
27-05-2006, 05:03
you could get 9 in a vanilla Space marine list

master,chaplin,librarian Hq x2
and 3 techmarines

Tadite
27-05-2006, 05:03
Death Cult Assassins are INDEPENDENT. They are not INDEPENDENT CHARACTERS.

If they were IC they would be amazing!

As is more then likely its still a =I= army. 2 HW and 3 Elite IC's.

boogle
27-05-2006, 10:10
well the fact that the can't join any units makes them Independant Characters in all but name anyway

Chem-Dog, Engineseers are 1-3 for the single Elite Slot

Chem-Dog
27-05-2006, 12:12

Hmm, I have a first edition Codex, it might have been updated since then though . . . . Here's a discreet scan to show I'm not talking out of my hat :D

I stand by my suggestion for the Inquisition for Musa's list, there are more Independant models (character or otherwise) and a bare minimum of obligatory troops than in any other list I can think of and I'm running on the assumption that Squads = The Enemy.

The alternative is to use a heavy dose of "counts as" to make squads "count as" individual models, you'll have to use larger bases and kill/wound markers.

Wolf Lord Duregar
27-05-2006, 13:51
Im surprised no one have mentioned the mighty Space Wolves yet..!:mad: ;)

One mandatory HQ per 750p or part there of. And the Venerable Dreadnought can be bought as an Elite-choice for another killy guy.

Tadite
27-05-2006, 18:13
well the fact that the can't join any units makes them Independant Characters in all but name anyway

Not at all. Independent is nothing like being a IC:

A IC can't be shot unless its the closest target a Independent CAN.
A IC gets 3d6 going into terran a Independent only 2d6.

IC's can join units or break away a Independent CAN'T as it can never join a unit.

Independent and IC are totally different. They have nothing simular beyond that they can be single models.

mkerr
28-05-2006, 04:40
Not at all. Independent is nothing like being a IC:

A IC can't be shot unless its the closest target a Independent CAN.
A IC gets 3d6 going into terran a Independent only 2d6.

IC's can join units or break away a Independent CAN'T as it can never join a unit.

Independent and IC are totally different. They have nothing simular beyond that they can be single models.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Independent models share a lot in common with Independent Characters. Like an Independent Character they are treated as a unit for shooting and close combat. That's a pretty major distinction from "dependent" models -- much more important than getting an extra die for difficult terrain.

Regardless, it certainly fits in the "cool independent models roaming around the battlefield" description.

onlainari
28-05-2006, 05:20
Tau don't win, I think tyranids do, but with Tau you can have 5 independent crisis running around, and then 3 independent broadsides as well.

Sekhmet
28-05-2006, 06:11
Tyranids I think
2 in hq
3 in elites
3 in heavy
3 .. kinda.. in fast attack. You can take 3x 1 squads of raveners.

Then for troops you take ripper swarms to make the comparison between the godzillas and the lil people.

IncubiLord
28-05-2006, 06:28
SM army with:
2x 3-IC Command squads,
3x IC Techmarines,
3x 'Dreads (using HtWotA to make them HS)
**12 solid heroes**

OR

Daemonhunters army with:
GK Hero,
=][= Lord,
3 Daemonvessels,
6 DC Assassins,
3 GK 'Dreads
**14 independent model of varying strength**

Sekhmet
28-05-2006, 07:10
you count vehicles as independent characters?

Wolf Lord Duregar
28-05-2006, 08:15
Tyranids?! Theyre goddam animals..! What you want is a bunch of axe-wielding Space Wolf characters.:D ;)

Bulwark
31-05-2006, 20:11
Im surprised no one have mentioned the mighty Space Wolves yet..!:mad: ;)

One mandatory HQ per 750p or part there of. And the Venerable Dreadnought can be bought as an Elite-choice for another killy guy.

Exactly, so the bigger the list, the more ICs.

in a 75,000 point game, you have 100 ICs. Over the top? yes, but they still outnumber every other army.

Musa
31-05-2006, 21:42
Daemonhunters army with:
GK Hero,
=][= Lord,
3 Daemonvessels,
6 DC Assassins,
3 GK 'Dreads
**14 independent model of varying strength**

I don't think you can have Daemonhosts and GK in the same army...

I was kinda looking at LatD list, as it's extremely flexible. And i'm sure I can find a way to make 'obliterators' and a 'defiler' as characterful as possible.

A LatD list would allow me:

Chaos Lieutenant
Chaos Lord
Obliterators x3
Defiler
that gives me 6... i want more!

Sekhmet
31-05-2006, 21:48
You can't have GK and daemons in the same army. You can take 9 deathcult assassins though.

Pertinax
31-05-2006, 21:58
Do Death Cultists actually have the IC rule?

I'm only asking because I don't have the codex here right now.

IncubiLord
31-05-2006, 22:01
I don't think you can have Daemonhosts and GK in the same army...
Oops! It's been too long since I seriously looked at the Daemonhunters 'dex.

Replace those with more assassins.

EDIT: No, DC Assassins aren't ICs, but they do operate independently.

Sekhmet
31-05-2006, 22:10
I think the OP didn't mean independent characters per se, but units that move independently. The only difference between an independent unit and an IC is that ICs can join squads. The way he phrased it, he didn't want them to join a unit, he wanted them to be independent. :)

Musa
01-06-2006, 04:04
i don't like the idea of death cult assassins cause they aren't really customizable at all. There's nothing UNIQUE to each and every one of them.

now... if i were doing a Ninja army... i'll go with death cult assassins.

Reticent
01-06-2006, 14:58
Tau:

2 x Crisis HQ- fully customizable
3 x Crisis Elites- fully customizable
3 x Piranha Fast Attack- largely customizable (two Tau shown in each, but they are single models on the field)
2 x Broadside Heavy Support- largely customizable
3 x Sniper Teams- not customizable, behave as squads but are modeled as individual Tau acompanied by gear

That would be 13 actual or apparent individuals, 10 of which are highly customizable. If the sniper teams are too much of a stretch at meeting your vision (though they act like individuals who have bought drones) you can replace the 3 of them for another Broadside and have 11 highly customizable models.

That just leaves Troop choices. While there is no getting around taking squads in these slots for Tau, small squads of Firewarriors upgraded with Devilfish given missle systems can easily spend the whole game as 'single' models. Alternately Kroot Shapers, while most certainly embedded in squads, feel a bit like characters given their abundance of wounds.

ShadowHawk
01-06-2006, 15:14
guard, for actual IC's

1 HQ officer
3 independant commisars
2enginseers(can buy two for the price of one FOC slot)
6 officers from troops

all of whom have full access to the armory

Subtext
01-06-2006, 16:08
guard, for actual IC's

1 HQ officer
3 independant commisars
2enginseers(can buy two for the price of one FOC slot)
6 officers from troops

all of whom have full access to the armory
You forgot the 3 officers you can get from the heavyweapon platoons.

Musa
04-06-2006, 07:09
you could get 9 in a vanilla Space marine list

master,chaplin,librarian Hq x2
and 3 techmarines

I dont get this... can someone elaborate better?

I actually want to hit 13 Characters that I can customize in some way (or are already awesome they dont NEED customization).

Sir_Turalyon
04-06-2006, 12:00
If you ask for proper IC (not characters with wargear option, IC being part of retinue of other IC and unable to leave it (Space Marines), or IC being part of squad and unable to leave it), it would be Dark Eldar. 3 Homeoculit per HQ slot - it means 6 really independent characters, each free to go where he wants and join any squad he wants.

William McCoy
04-06-2006, 13:59
It's been a long time since I've looked at the PDF, but wouldn't Harlies be a good option for this as well? Mostly, I keep thinking about the Solitare, and how he fits the bill for what's being described...but I'm guessing it wouldn't come anywhere near the 13 IC's being wanted...

So...uh...that wasn't helpful at all...my bad.

Edit: Ok, never mind. Read the PDF. Without breaking a sweat, you can have 11 IC's. 9, if you want a Solitare. Without the Solitare, and no wargear, they come to 553 (The Solitare makes it 502.) All of those have a shot at the armory, and everyone loves shrieker cannons, right?