PDA

View Full Version : Chalice of blood and darkness

Piercefierce
28-04-2013, 00:21
I was reading through the CD eratta and it says the chalice can be used at any point of the magic phase. I cant think of any reason why not, but can i use the chalice as soon as i roll to cast a spell and before the opponent attempts to roll his dispell dice? Me and my opponent couldnt work out a reason why not but maybe there is something we are over looking. This item should be worth far more than 50 points if it is the case. It shuts magic phases down and more the doubles the effectivness of my own!! I would roll 7 or so for winds then 6 dice ash storm, roll somewhere in the 20's then remove d3 of my opponents dispell dice before he can even attempt a dispell. Usually leaving him with 2 or 3 dice to do the job. Seems wrong.
??

Kalandros
28-04-2013, 00:23
Other than its a dick move and completely wrong compared to every other dice-altering item in the game?
That item should only work at the start of the phase but Forgeworld/Games Workshop writes terrible rules all the time.

As it is, it works like that and its really annoying.

Piercefierce
28-04-2013, 00:28
To be fair it was my first time using it and it was my 2nd win ever with chaos dwarfs (so much defeat lol)! Until i read the eratta i didnt even expect it to be used this way. I guess it is deliberate... doesnt mean its nice lol. I wonder why they didnt make it 55 points. Its actually quite easy to sneak into a chaos warriors army. Thanks anyway for the reply. I will be avoiding maximum filth with it from now on anyway. Unless an opponent is just asking for it.

Kalandros
28-04-2013, 03:05
Tournament scene you never see allies so thats no worry but yea, you can easily have it on a daemonsmith that sticks in the safety zone of 2 war machines for look out, sir!

Piercefierce
28-04-2013, 05:58
Chaos Dwarfs are mercenaries for warriors, not allies. Rules are different. Doubt it makes a difference in the tournament scene though.

Kalandros
28-04-2013, 06:33
Chaos Dwarfs are mercenaries for warriors, not allies. Rules are different. Doubt it makes a difference in the tournament scene though.

Anything from the Forgeworld books is banned from the majority of tournaments and they usually make the exception for a Chaos Dwarf army, but no mixing into WoC or DoC armies with the Tamurkhan book

riotknight
28-04-2013, 07:19
Anything from the Forgeworld books is banned from the majority of tournaments and they usually make the exception for a Chaos Dwarf army, but no mixing into WoC or DoC armies with the Tamurkhan book

This. The CD list is widely accepted, bit the mixing of armies is not.

Piercefierce
28-04-2013, 08:39
There is a little cut away in the official legion of azgorh list that allows you to include CD only models in a legal (to my knowledge correct me if im wrong) warriors of chaos list. They work like a sort of mercenary team and may be chosen freelly and come out of normal character allowance and unit % etc. There are restrictions, its all written on page 186 of the tamrkahn book. it has nothing to do with a "great host list" or anything like that which people may be confusing it with. This is really off topic anyway. Besides tournaments wouldnt allow this regardless of how official/unofficial it is. Where i play we have no problem with it. The dirty nature of the chalice however...

Kalandros
28-04-2013, 08:44
There's no confusion, just saying that getting the chalice in a WoC army isn't possible in most gaming circles and no tournament, as far as I know, allows it.
o;

Piercefierce
28-04-2013, 10:32
for good reason too haha.

RejjeN
28-04-2013, 22:06
Basically, if you know your opponent has the chalice and is a dick about how he uses it, have your dice ready and roll them before he rolls the chalice dice. He can't remove dispel dice you don't have ;P

Ender Shadowkin
29-04-2013, 20:00
This has been debated over at CDO. The question is once you start the spell casting process are you allowed to perform actions mid stream. Technically yes, also technically he could roll his disple dice so fast you never get a chance to say "Chalice"..... Just don't do it! In a tournament setting its a sure fired way to bottom out your sports socre. The item is really really good with out using it in the way you desicribe.

Best/most common use is to wait till you have used all your dispel dice, then before your opponent casts another spell chalice him so that you snatch a few of his power dice and end his phase or prevent him from casting a nasty spell.