PDA

View Full Version : What's the one unit you can't do without ?

Tyrelli
28-04-2013, 14:50
Monster or flyer or unit

Retrospectus
28-04-2013, 14:53
My guardsman blob. hold the line boys!

Dylius
28-04-2013, 14:57
My Ork Warboss (and his Nobz). I'm really proud of the conversion I gave him (a cybork arm) and I think I did a good job with the paint job. It's always fun to charge them into something as well.

Game-wise it's probably my big unit of shoota boyz, as they're pretty good objective holders - especially when there's good cover.

Theocracity
28-04-2013, 14:58
Heh, I was going to say my boss and nob squad as well :).

Luffwaffle
28-04-2013, 15:02
My Leman Russes. For when you're tired of holding the line.

hobbic_c
28-04-2013, 15:06
Deffkoptas for orks, company command with master of ordinance for my guard :)

Rumour control
28-04-2013, 15:19
My Krieg infantry platoon(s). Sixty guys plus command squad. I just love the look on my opponents face when I deploy them all. Priceless.

ihavetoomuchminis
28-04-2013, 15:28
Heh, I was going to say my boss and nob squad as well :).

Same here. It's amazing the damage these guys can make. And the models look amazing.

Charistoph
28-04-2013, 15:40
Initiates. Can't deploy without them. Seriously, they're my only Troop choice.

After that, my Chaplain. Love the Zealot.

Tethylis
28-04-2013, 16:20
Fire Dragons...For when you absolutely, positively got to slag any vehicle. :evilgrin:

Grenzstein
28-04-2013, 16:23
I couldn't function without my Sternguard.

Scammel
28-04-2013, 16:24
Biker Boss. Talk about a one-man army.

lordreaven448
28-04-2013, 16:29
It's probably my Soul Grinders or my Bloodletters. Both are almost always auto include as I begin writing my list.

wyvirn
28-04-2013, 16:31
Hive Tyrant and Tyrant Guards. The way I run them, they're expensive and not really optimized to a tournament standard, but they're anti-everything on the ground.

Shrike30
28-04-2013, 17:22
Fire Warriors, Grey Hunters, Elysian Drop Platoons. If you don't like your army's Troops choices, you should play a different army :)

Lantern
28-04-2013, 17:29
I couldn't function without my Sternguard.

I agree, I use the Tyrannic War Veteran models as Sternguard and they do me proud every game (and die every game :( ). It's their sheer versatility.

Fithos
28-04-2013, 17:30
Basilisks. I wouldn't be playing IG without them.

WhiteTemplars
28-04-2013, 17:33
Sanguinary Priests. FNP may not be as good as it use to be, but it still makes my assault marines go from ordinary to extraordinary!

Melchiah
28-04-2013, 17:35
Ive never played a game with my eldar in which I dont take an autarch.

Still Standing
28-04-2013, 17:36
Battle Sister Squads. From the best troop choice in the game under the Codex, to the worst in the White Dwarf, yet at least they still look awesome.

Ssilmath
28-04-2013, 18:02
Chaos Sorcerers. I don't think I've had a Chaos Marine list in the last several years that didn't have at least one of them. With the new codex and having access to Biomancy and Telepathy, they're an unholy terror.

For my Guard, it's got to be Carapace Vets. I know they aren't the most points efficient unit, but sometimes it's really nice to have a squad take a round of fire from a Tactical Squad, shrug off enough bolters to keep the Plasma Guns alive and smoke their value in Astartes the next turn.

Perth
28-04-2013, 18:09
5x ML Long Fangs, and most notably Sergeant Firsttodie. He's taken one for the team more often than any model I can think of.

Runner up goes to my 2+/4++ FNP T5 Tau commander, who lead a squad of 6 firewarriors to victory in close combat over a Chaos Sorcerer and two spawn, then lead that same firewarrior squad to the relic to win the game.

Borgomos
28-04-2013, 18:14
Azrael + 40 Death Korps Guardsmen. Imperiums finest, they will hold the line and they will push the opposition back.

ironsons
28-04-2013, 18:37
Ten grots with slaver, best forty points I ever spend. No one expects the grotz to do much damage until they either blast your squad to kingdom come or batter terminators in combat without fail. I love them.

terradax
28-04-2013, 18:42
Herald of Tzeentch in a unit of Pink Horrors.

SimaoSegunda
28-04-2013, 18:47
Missile Launcher squad, with AA sergeant and Apothecary. First blood in about 75% of the games I play.

Nilo
28-04-2013, 18:53
My Emperor's Champ. Not only is he the awesome 25 year anniversary model and extra good at murdering marine sergeants, but I literally cannot play without him.

brightblade
28-04-2013, 18:57
For my marines? Tacticals.

For my CSM? Plague Marines.

For my Eldar? Hmmmm.... Scorpions. I always, always take them (and Pathfinders!) (And Fire Dragons) (too much to love). I love Eldar and am so excited!

For my Wood Elves? I always take waywatchers. They are just too cool!

Max_Killfactor
28-04-2013, 19:03
The Baron, he is a steal. +1 to go first wins games

Ruination Drinker
28-04-2013, 19:04
Lootas. 15 of them at least. For my Mairines? Gotta have a Vindicator in the list, two if I'm feeling mean. God I hope they don't raise the point cost on those.

htsmithium
28-04-2013, 19:14
an inquisitor with daemon weapon and hell rifle, may not be the best, but is still.

IronBrother
28-04-2013, 19:25
Pathfinders for my Tau, love these guys and Darkstrider only made them more of a must have.

Warp Talons for my CSM. The effect that their deep strike has on the opponent is awesome, plus they are great for taking out anything that doesn't have a 2+ save.

Overlord Krycis
28-04-2013, 19:28
Wolf Priest with Saga of the Hunter. Nothing quite like Outflanking Grey Hunters or Wolf Guard in transports to scare the bejeezus out of opponents.

TheDoctor
28-04-2013, 20:41
Dire Avengers. They may not be the most flashy (rules/equipment wise), but they get the job done.

Sigtyr
28-04-2013, 20:58
For Eldar: Banshees. They suck, but I really love the models and the fluff; and a Nightspinner(because its good)

For DE: Harlequins and Wyches

For Chaos: Any troop choice.

Spellduckwrong
28-04-2013, 21:19
Wave Serpents. Yeah, they are expensive, but to me, they are worth their points.

Chem-Dog
28-04-2013, 21:26
I honestly don't have a must have in my IG armies.

The closest I get to it would be the Ogryn/Psyker combo which can do some serious harm if the dice roll right. Or perhaps a Company Command Squad which features fairly frequently.

Fangschrecken
28-04-2013, 21:29
Marbo. He may not always do much, but by the emperor he scares people!

Messiahnide
28-04-2013, 21:47
10 grots and a slaver for my orks, I bought the models just to paint cos I love painting grots, then thought I might aswell stick em in the lists and now I never play without them, always use them to hold up enemy assaults for a turn or two, or send them against something big like a dread and claim they have developed a Napoleon complex...

My other is a 5 man scout squad with 3 shotguns and a heavy bolter, they have never been of much use but I love the look of scouts with shotguns haha

ihavetoomuchminis
28-04-2013, 21:57
Ten grots with slaver, best forty points I ever spend. No one expects the grotz to do much damage until they either blast your squad to kingdom come or batter terminators in combat without fail. I love them.

So true. What i've found with grots is that they are believed to be so unoffensive (and with a reason), that people just ignore them, even more if in cover...because who wants to spend shooting on 3 point per model unit that has a 4+/3+ cover save (going to ground)....and at the end of the game, they are sitting in an objective and giving me the victory :)

MajorWesJanson
28-04-2013, 22:03
Marines: Sternguard in pod (with Pedro) or 1-3 Vindicators
Tau: Hammerhead with Rail gun
IG: Vet squad with 2 melta and a flamer in a Valk or Vendetta
GK: Forgeworld model Psyfleman Dread

atlantis
28-04-2013, 22:25
IG: 3 demolishers outflnaking via CREED!
tau: plasma XV8 team (with commander)
GK: dreadknight with sword and teleporter
BA: 10 DC with chaplain and divination libarian in a stormraven and blood tallon DC dread on the back

Malagor
28-04-2013, 22:43
Eldrad. He can just buff my army so much and he is pretty good in close combat too.

The bearded one
28-04-2013, 23:06
Tau: Hammerhead with Rail gun

Yeah?

I dumped mine. 3 games and it didn't do anything except manage to drop one quantum shielding (but no appreciable damage table result) so I took it out and put in a missile-side and more firewarriors to bulk up my troops. First game without hammerhead, first actual win with the new Tau.

My unit I can't do without:

Missilepod spamming battlesuit unit. There's something gratifying about having a unit with 12 str7 shots.

Freman Bloodglaive
28-04-2013, 23:36
My bike riding Captain. Without him the rest of my army can't work.

Nikolaus
28-04-2013, 23:40
One unit I could never do without is the grots when i field my Orks..

they have killed soooo many paladins, im seriously thinking of modeling them in mega-armour..

Sir_Turalyon
29-04-2013, 00:01
Raiders. Either as transports or gunships, they always find way into my army. Also, ravagers.

KhornateLord
29-04-2013, 00:44
Chaos: Chaos Bikes, cheap, faster, relentless plasmaguns, T5, hammer of wrath :)
Imperial Guard: Ratling Snipers. Four of them in a building for 40 pts.

FashaTheDog
29-04-2013, 02:35
Ravagers with a trio of disintegrators, a night shield, and flickerfield. Six of them in 2,000 points. Also the tears of Marines they unleash.

Shadeseraph
29-04-2013, 03:04
My sniper drone teams. Just because.

Shakkara
29-04-2013, 03:25
For High Elves:
21 Swordmasters of Hoeth. Even before they got the 2 attacks. Only infantry capable of standing up to chaos warriors (the main army I play against) and hurt them.
Tiranoc chariots for the same reason. Usually ran 3-5 of them, with offensive characters in them with things like the +3 attacks sword. Thin enemies out a little bit with bolt thrower / sea bow, then smash into them with the chariot squad. Overrun guaranteed.

For Eldar:
Fully kitted out shining spears squad with autarch. Basically the same approach as the tiranoc chariot. Mop up a whole unit in one turn.
In previous editions: Dark Reapers or 6x Warwalkers with starcannons.

I'm probably just odd, as I don't rely on magic for High Elves and I don't use farseers for Eldar. Never fielded Teclis/Eldrad. Never lost a fantasy battle either, and won everything with Eldar except a 500 point one vs Space Wolves and a 1500pts 4-player battle Eldar with SM against 2x Tau when they were just released. In retrospect we should have won that one though, they ignored the rules for brightlances against their vehicles and I didn't check it. I hate Tau till this day. Why can their battlesuits jump, and Eldar stuff can't? More mobile than Eldar and harder hitting and longer ranged guns too. Boohoo. Was very happy when Jetbikes got the jumpy rules and now use jetbikes of all flavors as main part of Eldar army.

madden
29-04-2013, 06:23
Let's see
Chaos marines- slanesh raptors,fast and choppy
Necrons- praetorians, (sword and pistol) love the look and are fast.
Nids- tox adrenal hormagaunts and my broodlord just because,
Tau- my ion head and with the new dex it's even better,
Dark eldar- my razor wing just love the model,
Deamons- slanesh chariots and my khorn herald(I use krill from vampire counts),
Orks- grot big guns and grots in general there so cheap and there the best shots in the army.
I think that about covers it.

ironsons
29-04-2013, 08:08
So true. What i've found with grots is that they are believed to be so unoffensive (and with a reason), that people just ignore them, even more if in cover...because who wants to spend shooting on 3 point per model unit that has a 4+/3+ cover save (going to ground)....and at the end of the game, they are sitting in an objective and giving me the victory :)

I do use mine slightly more offensive at times and people are just generally too preoccupied with the rest of my list that when they notice the danger it is too late. I always make sure I can squeeze a unit in just to see who they can kill today.

Radium
29-04-2013, 08:34
Farseer, Wraithlord and Warp Spiders :D!

Gossipmeng
29-04-2013, 14:44
XV8 crisis teams - my crisis teams can pretty much shoot anything and have a chance to kill it, the forgeworld models look awesome and who doesn't like to move in your assault phase :)

MyNameDidntFit
29-04-2013, 15:10
My Forgeworld Vulture with twin-linked Punisher Cannons. A DE opponent named her Misty, for how horribly small the pieces of his army were when the Haemonculi came to put them back together.

adam352
29-04-2013, 15:53
DA command squad, really proud of the modelling job. They always find their way into my lists in one way or another.

Haravikk
29-04-2013, 17:27
For Sisters of Battle it has to be either Penitent Engines (D6+3 S10, AP2 attacks on the charge with extra from unsaved wounds caused? Yes please!) or Retributors with 4x Heavy Bolters, as with Rending they just rip stuff to shreds.
For Dark Angels its Deathwing Terminator Squads; it may not be original but the Deathwing is what I love about the army, and with a proper command squad and Deathwing Knights I can now field a whole army quite happily, I just wish I could move Dreadnoughts to another slot as knights still eat into my Elites choices. Ahem, but yeah, twin-linked shooting on deep strike + split fire is nice, then rush in a squad with +1 attack banner led by a chaplain for four attacks with re-rolls each minimum andů yum :)

dreadlord_darkwaters
29-04-2013, 17:32
tactical space marine squad. meat and potatoes of any marine army.

Xeen
29-04-2013, 17:41
For chaos the Lord of Change. That thing is a beast. Also I always use Arhiman, but that is more for fluff reasons.

For Eldar, War walkers- love the models love the rules and scorpions and spiders. Again love the models, fluff and rules.

Aun Tier
29-04-2013, 22:30
Well, before the new codex - A Fire Warrior Team and XV8 Commander. :P

Seriously though, I would say my FireKnife XV8s teamed up with an XV8-02 Commander. The commander can be kitted out to reliably soak most of an army's fire for about two or three turns before kacking it, and 3 plasmas with 3 missile pods can really put the hurt on.

Also, a Hammerhead seems to squeeze its way into just about all of my lists - though I've recently been testing out the Ion Cannon over the previous go to Railgun.

GotrekFan
29-04-2013, 23:00
Chaplain/ Dark Apostle for me.
Some hate 'em, but any power army feels wrong without 'em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sephillion
29-04-2013, 23:33
DE Ravagers and Raiders, mostly. I don't think I ever wrote a list without a Raider, and very few without a Ravager.

Angry SisterOfBattle Nerd
29-04-2013, 23:54
Battle Sister Squads. From the best troop choice in the game under the Codex, to the worst in the White Dwarf, yet at least they still look awesome.
Yep? I literally can't play without them !

Cooper97
30-04-2013, 00:09
I could not live without my thunderhawk. Just the awesomeness it brings to the table and the way it looks when your crumping all the enemies in an apocalypse game.

Death Company
30-04-2013, 00:40
My name says it all- nothing makes xeno players flinch like a Death Company assault.

Santtu
30-04-2013, 01:23
Exorcist. Three of them to be precise, at any points level from 1000 upwards.

The Anarchist
30-04-2013, 01:29
In my IG army never leave without my Russ Vanquisher; thought its a armour company force its pretty much a given I'm decking plenty tanks, the Vanquisher has always been my must have unit, never leave home without it!

BA can never go wrong with my basic assault squad!

PrehistoricUFO
30-04-2013, 02:11
Deathmarks for me.

They tend to be a one or two turn throw-away, but I always use them at the perfect time and they haven't failed me yet. In all my battles so far, I've deep-struck them, rapid-fired the **** out of my target, and always wiped that target out within the turn. I mainly use it on high-priority targets - specifically my friend's Tervigon whore mother or my other buddy's insane Tau suits. If the DMs last more than a couple of turns, I consider myself very lucky. :D

Ghazbad_Facestompa
30-04-2013, 04:08
For my World Eaters, it's berserkers and my TDA Chaos Lord. For DE, I've never made a list without raiders, and I can't recall playing a list without at least one warrior gunboat in it.

Scribe of Khorne
30-04-2013, 04:17
My old (to be resurrected!) DE list never left home without 3 Blasterborn in a Venom.
Current CSM? Heldrake, it simply is a swiss army knife.
Orks - A squad or 2 of 7 Lootas.

roundarmor
30-04-2013, 04:26
Black knights, fast moving hate cake. Temple Guard, Dark elf exicutioners, 2 Tervigons , free troops are free troops. exorcist d6 str 8 ap1 hits? yes please.

papabearshane
30-04-2013, 04:29
My Grot Cannons! They are amazing! T7 grots for the win.

It helps that I roll really well with them.
3 Hits with the small templet agenst 7 just deepstuck DA Knights, led to only 1 Having to be shot down by my 30 shoota boyz. :evilgrin:

Cooper97
30-04-2013, 04:52
I also love a 10 terminator assault squad with hammer and shields with a level three librarian in a land raider redeemer. Best you can get for an apocalypse game. Fire power with muscle power, doesn't get much better than that.:)

Marshal_Loss
30-04-2013, 05:26
Obliterators for CSM and Annihilation Barges for my Necrons. :)

-Loki-
30-04-2013, 05:45
My Flyrant, because it's hard to build an army without a HQ.

It also happens to be a *********** beast. Dual twin linked devourers decimates squads and light vehicles, it's fast, tough, and when needed can land and kick the crap out of something on the ground. As long as you know when to launch into Swoop (hint - it's generally not turn 1 into the teeth of your opponent) it won't get shot down either.

I've had games where the Flyrant had carried my army, doing by far the most damage.

TremendousZ
30-04-2013, 07:00
Tau: Pathfinders, they simply make the tau world go round.
Chaos SM: Predator with Heavy Bolters, Autocannon, Havoc Launcher, and Warpflame Gargoyles. You just cannot beat it for the points. Maulerfiend is a close second. After wrecking my brother twice. this model makes him act irrationally and for the points I love it!
Chaos Daemons: Soul grinder. Now that I finally bought and built the model.
Eldar: Fire Dragons in a Falcon. I know its list one unit, but they come as a pair always have always will. I have had the dragons cause havoc to the last eldar, they are beasts.
Space Wolves: Rune Priest. Whether it be by bike or on foot, the psychic D is amazing. I also like the idea of having Jaws if necessary.

Eldarsif
30-04-2013, 07:05
Kabalites, whether warriors or trueborn.

Ruination Drinker
30-04-2013, 08:29
ADL with a Quadgun/Icarus with Sgt. Telion firing it.

dragonet111
30-04-2013, 08:53
Reason I started Blood Angles in 3ed. The Death Company. Love it.

Individual8580
30-04-2013, 08:54
Troops are rather mandatory.

atlantis
30-04-2013, 10:19
fergot to say for apoclipse: reaver titan with 2X laser blaster and turbo-laser

Excessus
30-04-2013, 10:48
Oblits...I never leave home without them...

duffybear1988
30-04-2013, 11:50
Runepriest - living lightning is awesome.

Menthak
30-04-2013, 11:56
Stormtroopers for my Arcadian Guard list.

They've got the sh*ttiest, most dire, abysmal luck in the 41st Millennium, but I've yet to see a game where they raise their fair share of hell.

Or my Hammerhead, who after 3 years of playing Tau, is still my only Railgun in the entire army. So despite the fact that his KD is shocking, I can't emotionally or competitively take him out of my list.

gwarsh41
30-04-2013, 14:33
Unit of +12 plaguebearers with a FNP herald of Nurgle. Past 3 games I ran at least 1 unit of 16, they have always done much better than I would have expected them to. Toss ML1 on the herald for a little fun if you have spare points.

Fingers
30-04-2013, 15:11
Hmm.

Necrons: Annihilation Barge
CSM: Nurgle Bikers
GK: Coteaz
Space Wolves: Drop Pod of something or another
Eldar: Warp Hunter

Ozendorph
30-04-2013, 17:32
DA: Tac Squad Anael. Greenwing 4 lyfe ;)
CSM: Lord Zufhor and his merry band of Khornate terminators. They are always cause for concern.
Daemons: Skull Taker in chariot (now counts as Jugger, I guess). One of my best conversions, and rather killy besides.
Apoc: My Reaver "Verum Atrox" looming over the battlefield like a boss with his plas-blast-gun/melta cannon/TCCW

Kulgur
30-04-2013, 17:38
1 per army:

Firewarriors
Keeper of Secrets
Incubi
Nobz mob
Cannoness with Eviscerator (Yes, rather than Celestine)

Goblin fanatics
Pikemen
Dwarf cannon

Xenthick
30-04-2013, 18:59
Yeah?

I dumped mine. 3 games and it didn't do anything except manage to drop one quantum shielding (but no appreciable damage table result) so I took it out and put in a missile-side and more firewarriors to bulk up my troops. First game without hammerhead, first actual win with the new Tau.

My unit I can't do without:

Missilepod spamming battlesuit unit. There's something gratifying about having a unit with 12 str7 shots.

Interesting. Played a game a few days ago against 'crons using two. First turn, two dead stalkers. Second turn two dead annihilation barges. Admittedly I should have killed the doomsday arc turn two before it wiped out my crisis squad but what do you do. Sometimes you make mistakes. Third turn...ok they fubbed this turn and never killed anything. I would say the rail head is an auto include for me as well in tau, one of which must have long strike.

For daemons: Soul Grinder
For guard: Leman Russ BT
For Grey Knights: Psiflemen Dread

misterboff
30-04-2013, 19:15
As a Deathskull it's my Lootas, but I do use my Warboss and Nobz mob in a Battlewagon very regularly...

Gazak Blacktoof
30-04-2013, 19:26
Two units of 7 Deathmarks. They seem to do a great job of ripping into any squad they target that the squads mark for death. I love targeting big blob squads and deepstriking into rapid fire range with both units and just wiping units out. But they work equally well against small elite squads, using a combination of rending and forcing a punishing number of saves.

murgel2006
30-04-2013, 20:16
BA - at least one Assault Squad, one Tac Squad in Rhino and one Death company.
SW - Swiftclaws, Skyclaws and Bloodclaws at least one unit each more Bloodclaws if I can.
Orks - one boys and one grotz
Daemons - Daemonetts, I love them 2nd ed. models.
CSM - noise Marines, 'cause they are Slaneesh
DE - Reavers because they are the coolest jetbike unit in the game.
Eldar - Scorpions, because you can not win without them.

EDIT: Fluff, never leave home without it.

Dragoon King
30-04-2013, 20:20
Plague Marines. Plasma Guns and AC with Powerfist is awesome.

Ruination Drinker
01-05-2013, 05:05
Well...now that everyone is playing Tau, I'd have to say that Vulkan is the no brainer in the C:SM meta. Heavy Flamer, Melta, and Hammernator spam never looked better.

dreadlord_darkwaters
12-05-2013, 18:14
is your profile pic the old Doctor Who?

FashaTheDog
12-05-2013, 18:35
is your profile pic the old Doctor Who?

If that's not Patrick Troughton, I'm a Dalek.

Craftworld
13-05-2013, 04:55
Fire Dragons, certainly. Not taking them isn't really an option, with the Eldar book showing it's age.

Dr Zoidberg
13-05-2013, 07:46
The good old Marine tactical squad.

The number of times these guys have held against overwhelming odds for me is just great. Two times in particular stand out: A combat squad winning combat against charging Steeds of Slannesh which saw them remain on an objective and bring me a draw; and the time I rolled 6-6-6 on a Krak missile shot against a Stormraven to bring it down the turn it had come on.