PDA

View Full Version : New High Elves: What is everyone buying?

boli
29-04-2013, 15:44
I think most; if not all of the rules can be found in various threads - and even then some people buy by instinct and look rather than playability. That said what is everyone planning to get their grubby hands on?

Personally:

I'm really disappointed there were no new spear-men or archers i liked the look of (I *hate* the pyjama party), although I am considering expanding my seaguard and getting the maiden guard to proxy archers/spears or act as the special depending on situation. Unless the rules really blow me away I'll prob just use basic spears and basic bows; keep it classical (and points-cheap :) )

With the Eagle units I'm definitely considering going hobbit eagles as they look *very* similar to the eagle chariot e.g. they'll match the army better than the mix-match I have currently.

The "big" thing is how many sky chariots or Phoenix to get: Right now 2 sky-chariots and 4 phoenix are the numbers running around my head but I keep thinking, is this overkill or is that not enough? I'll be getting the book next week ofc but I'm curious how everyone else is running down the numbers in their head and wondering if their bank account can *really* stretch that far?

One thing is for certain I've had to put an order in for a set of "micro magnets" for the phoenix so I can use them with/without a rider.

adam352
29-04-2013, 16:04
Being a poor student I am psyched just to be able to grab the army book this weekend, but when I can afford it, I'll be looking at a phoenix of some sort, at least one unit of Shadow Warriors, then maybe two Sky cutters and some sea guard (though that's me starting to become very optimistic with my income!)

Learn2Eel
29-04-2013, 16:05
Well, we don't know the points costs of most units yet, so the jury is still out for the most part.
I'm buying the army book, no question, and Alarielle will most likely be the first model I grab. After that, I plan on adding one or two Phoenixes, some more Core choices - one unit of Reavers, perhaps, and either Silver Helms, Archers or Spearmen - perhaps a Loremaster, maybe a Sky Cutter or two if they are any good, Tyrion (I love the model), one or two dragon kits, and quite a bit more where that came from. I'm undecided on what kind of army I want to field, but a monster mash list might be fun.

CaliforniaGamer
29-04-2013, 16:07
This book has avoidance list written all over it: Reavers as core, Phoenix(s), Dragons..throw in the BotWD..it will be glorious.

Wash
29-04-2013, 16:16
I am pre ordering the book, cards, and 2 phoenix's. 1 phoenix will be used as a mount and the other as a rare choice. I wanted to get a sky cutter, but that bolt thrower is completely underwhelming imo.

Belakor
29-04-2013, 16:34
The book only - do not play HE but if I had, several of each box and two packs of cards.

Don't know about characters, not too fond of finecast (want it all in plastic).

tezdal
29-04-2013, 16:45
Might contemplate the Shadow warriors box if the price wasn't horrendous, the rest of it just comes off a tad silly.

Iron_Lord
29-04-2013, 16:53
Might contemplate the Shadow warriors box if the price wasn't horrendous

I think it's simply that prices for new plastic regiments are on the way up. WoC Forsaken are equally expensive.

loveless
29-04-2013, 16:54
Uhm...probably nothing. I'd be all over the Shadow Warrior box if it weren't a dual kit (way too many leftover bits I won't use) and was cheaper (~$30). None of the characters stand out as something I'd want. The Phoenix is okay, but doesn't really have a lot of use outside of the army in my mind.

Given the core is either old or hard to get en masse (Reavers, LSG) outside of eBay/GW Direct, I don't see a good reason to start up a force, either.

It's a pass for me.

TheDungen
29-04-2013, 17:22
might buy the army book and the uniforms book, not sure yet. No models i have an entire battalion unpainted and unassembled. Also I have just spend 250 on warzone ressurection.

Ullis
29-04-2013, 17:32
Can the Phoenixes be taken by themselves or must they be ridden?

Wash
29-04-2013, 17:35

Rare or Ridden. Caradryan can ride a frost phoenix, I'm not sure about the flame.

Mithrilherz
29-04-2013, 17:39
The two books and the magic card (already ordered).

Because my huge high elf army is already painted, I consider further already the phoenix. But i want to see the kit with my own eyes before I buy.

Wash
29-04-2013, 17:40
I've gotta do a bit of painting, mainly because i will actually be using Silver Helms once again. I have to paint 10, going to proxy dragon princes for the others.

Mithrilherz
29-04-2013, 17:41

Can be used without rider as rare selection.

Fire phoenix can only be ridden by the new Anoited of Asuryan.
Forst phoenix only by Caradryan

Ullis
29-04-2013, 17:44
Can be used without rider as rare selection.

Fire phoenix can only be ridden by the new Anoited of Asuryan.
Forst phoenix only by Caradryan

I see. Thanks for that mate.

Shakkara
29-04-2013, 17:59
I'm a bit disappointed by the prices; but I haven't bought much warhammer the past years so the price hike is extra obvious to me.

So I'll get the army book and maybe that heraldy book when it comes out. Also seriously considering the charce shield packs to put on my old spearmen.

Currently considering to get a sky chariot for the sea guard hero, which I think is an awesome model. I like everything with special helmets and cloaks and the banner is awesome too. Maybe I'll get a phoenix because the characters are nice and I like characters on mounts to have more army options. But they just look like a lot of effort to paint and don't really fit my army well I use very old models almost exclusively.

Rakariel
29-04-2013, 19:29
The two books, one box of shadow warriors (I got a few HE legs still lying around in my bitz boxes so I can build 10 SWs and 10 sisters it seems), a skycutter (also because of the great seahelm) and a phoenix. I like Alarielle and the handmaiden especially but finecast meh. Dont know yet.

Laniston
29-04-2013, 19:40
I am getting the Army Book at least. I can't decide otherwise. Eventually I will probably add some of everything but I'm not in a rush.

Confessor_Atol
29-04-2013, 19:46
I'm a bit disappointed by the prices; but I haven't bought much warhammer the past years so the price hike is extra obvious to me.

QFT. The whole thing is getting harder to justify. They lost me a $85 WOC monster kit.

Rakariel
29-04-2013, 19:47
I cant really make it out on the sprues but is it possible to build Caradryan and an Anointed on foot with one kit?

Kahadras
29-04-2013, 19:52
I've currently got a pre-order in on the new book, two boxes of Silver Helms and a Phoenix. I'm also looking at picking up another commander box so I can build a mounted BSB. My current idea for my new army is maximising mobility using mounted characters, cavalry and fliers. The list will probably be packing a Dragon, two units of Silver helms, a unit of Ellyrion Reavers, a unit of Dragon princes, Mage on horse, BSB on horse, a Phoenix and 3 Great Eagles.

Kahadras

datalink7
29-04-2013, 19:59
The Book and the Cards. I don't play High Elves and don't intend to, but I like collecting army books. And I like the cards for when I play against them so I can have their spells in front of me.

GenerationTerrorist
29-04-2013, 20:45
I've ordered the Book and the Loremaster model.
Not really struck by how the rest will fit into my themed army.
Might add a pair of Flame Phoenix models at some point if I can justify it from the above standpoint.

Vazalaar
29-04-2013, 20:51
The armybook, magic cards and the Heraldy & Uniform book.
I will first paint my IoB Seaguard before I buy the skycutter.
First paint than buy something new.

someone2040
30-04-2013, 04:31
I will buy the book, cards and heraldry book first.
Later on, I will definitely buy the Skycutter Chariot (maybe 2) and some Shadow Warriors. For the rest I will have to sit down and see how the models fit into my army, and what lists I write up to determine further purchases.

Importman
30-04-2013, 05:29
The book. Contemplating on a single Sky Chariot for distraction proposes and then maybe a single box of shadow warriors if I can convince myself that they are good value.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

mweaver
01-05-2013, 02:05
I pre-ordered the cards. I will buy the army book and the shadow elves/maiden guard for certain (leftover SE/MG bits will hopefully fit nicely with the various Dark Elf, Wood Elf, and Dark Eldar witch plastics, of which I have spares for making figures for RPGs); I will likely buy the heraldry book as well as I quite liked the other Empire one. In time I expect may buy more, as I like some of the larger models but am unlikely to paint them in the immediate future. Overall, I like most of these figures reasonably well given I find most high elves to be over-dressed flossy posers.

Shakkara
01-05-2013, 10:00
Well, just called the local store and placed an order for the army book, heraldry book, skycutter and a handmaiden. Pretty silly that the skycutter and phoenix are both more expensive than a the dragon set, but meh.

Oberon
01-05-2013, 10:30
Army book, spell cards, phoenix, maybe another phoenix later, also I'm trying to find phoenix guard to add to my unit of 20.

Daniel36
01-05-2013, 10:42
I will eventually get the army book but I don't play High Elves myself. I will get the Uniforms and Heraldry book as soon as possible, because I really like those books and I want to keep my collection complete, hahaha.

Leogun_91
01-05-2013, 11:03
The armybook and heraldry book. I don't play Highelfs so won't buy any models, if we start doing some more storm of magic games I might get myself a phoenix but currently my group isn't that fond of them.

jimbobodoll
01-05-2013, 12:16
Just popping my head up after being out of the Hobby for 4 years now. I burst out laughing at the absurdity of the latest High Elf releases when I just saw them. Some of the sculpting is rubbish! For example: What's with all the big hair? And why do the new monster "models" look more like children's toys? Cap that off with GM still not releasing new Archer or Spearmen models (I brought mine back in 2001!) and I was left shaking my head in incredulity.

...I'll check back with you guys in another 4 years time... Peace-out.

Jim

eldargal
01-05-2013, 12:21
Army Book
Heraldry book
Alarielle
Handmaiden
2x Maiden Guard
2x Phoenixes
2x Skycutters

Daniel36
01-05-2013, 12:25
Just popping my head up after being out of the Hobby for 4 years now. I burst out laughing at the absurdity of the latest High Elf releases when I just saw them. Some of the sculpting is rubbish! For example: What's with all the big hair? And why do the new monster "models" look more like children's toys? Cap that off with GM still not releasing new Archer or Spearmen models (I brought mine back in 2001!) and I was left shaking my head in incredulity.

...I'll check back with you guys in another 4 years time... Peace-out.
See you then. I really look forward to your comment in four years time.

A surprising amount of people is getting the Uniforms and Heraldry book. I hadn't expected most of the posters here getting it. I thought many people really dislike the format, but I suppose an equal number really likes them.

I wonder when the Chaos one will be released. There were some pics of that one popping up a while back, I can't imagine it not being released... Here's to hoping this one becomes a critical success.

Leogun_91
01-05-2013, 13:23
A surprising amount of people is getting the Uniforms and Heraldry book. I hadn't expected most of the posters here getting it. I thought many people really dislike the format, but I suppose an equal number really likes them.Posts asking for kingdom colour schemes for Highelfs turn up from time to time on these forums and the information isn't easy to come by in GW books so they needed it more than any other army, people getting the Highelf heraldry book might not be an indication of the heraldry format popularity.

I myself however love the uniforms and heraldry books and want more, I'd love one for Dwarfs and one for Tombkings and would buy those two even if the price doubled.

Antipathy
01-05-2013, 13:48
I'll be starting an Elf Army with this release. Lothern based; with the Skycutters, lots of Seaguard, Bolt Throwers, Shadow Warriors to act as rangers, as well as picking up a Merwyrm as and when it's released via Forgeworld to make a counts as Dragon.

However, I'll be picking up a few more Maiden Guard to make a new Wood Elf style list; counts as Dryad Phoenix Guard, Eternal Guard Swordmasters, Giant Eagle rider as a Warhawk, Wild Riders as Dragon Princes, etc.

Whitesun
01-05-2013, 16:50
I myself however love the uniforms and heraldry books and want more, I'd love one for Dwarfs and one for Tombkings and would buy those two even if the price doubled.

You're just encouraging them now

Leogun_91
01-05-2013, 16:56
You're just encouraging them nowWith the long wait between Uniforms and Heraldry books I'm fine with that if it means I get them soon.

Lorcryst
01-05-2013, 17:03
Well, seeing as I have an IoB set, a bataillon, a bolt thrower set, some spare Seaguards from a paint set and the High Elf army set from a couple of years ago, I only preordered the Book and Cards ...

I will probably be on the prowl for more Seaguard (the IoB/Direct models are gorgeous, and I only have 15 at the moment), most probably a Skycutter or two (was really fond of a Seaguard-just-of-the-Hawkship theme, will need to see the point costs and rules to rekindle that idea), I have an old "Eltharion the Blind" that could be a good Loremaster stand-in ...

I'm thinking about the Heraldry book before starting to paint all that, also ...

And I have my Daemons and O&Gs armies to finish ... and my collection of WoC/Beastmen that needs a few more models ...

But I'll pace myself, being on a tight budget doesn't allow for massive splurges :shifty:

SethDrallitoc
01-05-2013, 19:59
I pre-ordered the army book, heraldry book and cards the second they went up. I then ummed and urred unitl this afternoon on buying the Warriors of the Sea bundle.

I just got an email telling me that my Warriors of the Sea bundle will be delayed 1-2 weeks because one or more items are currently out of stock. :mad:

Mirbeau
01-05-2013, 23:08
Queen, Book, Cards. Will get a few swordmasters and the Hobbit eagles too. When I've finished painting my existing army I'll be adding the Sisters too.

Bladelord
01-05-2013, 23:19
I've preordered the armybook, magic cars and heraldry.

Even though I really like the new models I won't be purchasing them, the prices are too darn high...

Freaking greedy basterds...:mad:

Hrogoff the Destructor
02-05-2013, 01:14
I got the book, cards, shadow warriors, and the sisters of averlorn.

I want more stuff like a phoenix or flying chariot, even got the money to buy it, but won't simply based on principle. I almost didn't even buy a second box of shadow warriors it was so much! There's a fine line where I will purchase products and where I won't. GW has finally found it.

jullevi
02-05-2013, 05:51
I neither play High Elves nor have any intention to do so, but that doesn't prevent me from buying good looking miniatures or building a small army just for fun. I would like to paint a unit of Seaguard, Skycutter Chariot and Sealord on foot. The Sealord from Skycutter chariot is by far my favourite model from this release.

Shadeseraph
02-05-2013, 06:03
Just the army book at the moment. Tau last month did a number on my finances.

Proxying for the moment, I suppose.

GrandmasterWang
02-05-2013, 06:25
Phoenix! !!

I've been wanting a phoenix kit for ages. It's epic. Probably will use it as the arcane phoenix from arcanum.

Magic cards.

Later on I may get the book online for cheap. (Not paying $83 for a Ward book) But doubtful.

Much later on I may get the sky chariot as the lothern hero is pure win (if he was a solo character I'd buy him)

I like the release but am a bit disappointed