PDA

View Full Version : Need a damn shove in the right direction for an army...

Daemonn
30-04-2013, 09:56
Having a brutal awful time deciding what army to play. I am new to 8th edition and played High Elves back in the day. I am not partial to any playstyle or army type. Just having an insanely hard time choosing as I am not so familiar with the state of the game. Also, the guy at my local shop isnt making it any easier. I was pretty set on Wood Elves and he said theres a couple wood elf players and no one likes playing against their armies because they are avoidance armies.

So I am currently between:

Skaven
Wood Elves
Vampire Counts
Lizardmen
Dark Elves

Leaning mostly towards Wood Elves and Skaven... Vampire Counts seem fun, but also like a lot of people play them. I would like to try Daemons of Chaos sometime too, but it seems very popular also.

Any advice or pushes in directions would be awesome. Thanks

Lord Solar Plexus
30-04-2013, 10:04
Vampires. They have the only new book amongst that list, which is already the best reason to pick them. Skaven and Woodies are said to be polar opposites in terms of strength, with Woodies at the bottom.

If that isn't convincing, pick DE. Just note that either one of those except Vampires might get a new AB sometime soonish.

Daemonn
30-04-2013, 10:29
Vampires were honestly my first interest, but was kinda turned away when it seemed like 7th edition had a ton of VC players. My only fear is picking an army that I will hate aesthetically and/or to play with... second is i hope what i pick is well received at my local club. I dont normally build cheese lists or anything, but the opinion of the guy at the shop made me all self conscious lol. I dont mind playing an underdog army, like WE seem made out to be right now, I just dont want other players to roll their eyes when I ask for a local pick up game because of my army... any help in avoiding that would be awesome!

I am thinking VC a little more now... gonna have to watch some more bat reps of 8th edition fights... thanks for the info!

Lord Solar Plexus
30-04-2013, 10:48
Well, if Vamps are really popular in your neck of the woods, it could of course lead to some eye rolling. Can't say anything about that really. As to their strength, from what I gather it is a good book, with pro's and con's and quite some diversity. You've got almost all unit types except WM and MC, with a wide variety able to fight "heavy armour" and light infantry or monsters but it's not really over the top...multi-Terrorgheist with a Blender Lord in Knights perhaps (Vampire players correct me).

Now stop vacillating, please and buy the book and a batallion! (Is that enough of a push?) ;)

Daemonn
30-04-2013, 10:54
Ha! I have the army book, I bought a couple new ones / ones i didnt have. Every 1st Wednesday of every month, Warhammer is 15% off... even orders. Thats just a day away.... what are the chances!

Memnos
30-04-2013, 11:00
If you're set on Wood Elves, take Wood Elves. Forget what the guy down at the shop says. If people don't like playing them, then they need to change their playstyle - Not force other people to change their armies. :D

Rakariel
30-04-2013, 11:24
If you're set on Wood Elves, take Wood Elves. Forget what the guy down at the shop says. If people don't like playing them, then they need to change their playstyle - Not force other people to change their armies. :D

Can only second that. If you want to play them, play them.
On the other hand there are some valid points which have been mentioned already regarding VC as the best bet out of the ones you listed (in my humble opinion aswell). They have quite alot of different playstyles, most of their units perform well/are useful and I think all in all VC have the most balance 8th ed. book (specially internally) which is also not prone to an update any time soon.

Kakapo42
30-04-2013, 11:26
Go with the one you like the look of. If that's Wood Elves (and I'm guessing it is, since their model range is Awesome with a capital A), then go with them. It's your army, you'll be the one playing it, so it's your choice. If people complain just point out how poor they're considered at the moment, and then perhaps that will sway them towards a pick up game.

But really, go with the faction whose models you like the look of best. On failing that, the backstory you like the best.

Liber
30-04-2013, 11:34
Vampire Counts seem fun, but also like a lot of people play them. I would like to try Daemons of Chaos sometime too, but it seems very popular also.

Any advice or pushes in directions would be awesome. Thanks

Don't worry about what is or isn't popular. Play what you want, play what appeals to you the most/is the most practical (skaven are appealing too me, but the sheer numbers of models needed make them impractical).

That said, I would suggest Vampires or Daemons as you said you found both of them appealing, and both of them have 8th ed books.

:D

Daemonn
30-04-2013, 11:43
I find quite a few of the armies rather damn appealing, thats the problem! Having 8th ed. books out is a good point, because at least you can plan on your list not getting destroyed or your favorite units not fitting into your army like they did before... I have made a few lists for each army. Gonna finalize them and hopefully that will help decide. On the 1st my shop has 15% off, so I have tomorrow to figure it out lol.

I almost went with Lizardmen, bought the army book. The guy at the shop said they dont have any lizardmen players and i thought it would be cool to try them. Built a list and really didnt feel happy with the units the I wanted to use based on what i liked... hence I am here!

I am brand new, havent played one 8th ed. game. So maybe that will encourage people to play me regardless of my army. I really like Skaven too... would running storm vermin as core only be too impractical because i feel thats the only way i could play em lol... otherwise i love the models and fluff!

Rake
30-04-2013, 11:49
God, I would never recommend anybody picking up Wood Elves unless he knows the hobby.

" Hi, there. This is a game about mass combat and brutal pitched battles. But your games will all be about running around not getting hit. You will also need to run around a lot cause most of the enemies army you will not be able to hit. So what you originally thought of the game goes out the window. You will flee to victory and by the end of the battle your opponent might dominate the field over the broken bodies of the few units you fed him... But you will have won! And on a plus side I can guarantee that only ONE of the players might enjoy the game."

Ehhhhhhh. Wish they weren't such pretty and intriguing models.

Vampire Counts are a fantastic choice. Scale up and down very well depending on what powerlevel you want to play, have a very concise theme and style and stick to it. Plus new armybook and only 2-3 crap models in range (zombies, Black Coach and... something else.) Fine maybe its 2 crappy models.

Stavros

Ullis
30-04-2013, 12:00
I strongly recommend going with the army that most appeals to you, either in terms of play style, aesthetics or fluff (or all three). It may be more practical to choose an army that has a new book as this lessens the chances of your army getting changed beyond all recognition by a new book.

Wash
30-04-2013, 13:02
I have to agree with most people and suggest that Wood Elves might not be the best choice. I personally like Vamps, however their current book is poor. They don't have a lot of flexibility at the core choice, and their core is crap compared to newer army books for the most part. Blender Vampires or Ghoul Kings may be the best lord choices in the game, however they are over priced.

I think out of your list I would choose Lizardmen, they still have a competitive book, and rumour has it there is a new book on the horizon(Q4 I think). Slann's absolutely dominate the magic phase, and their core is strong.

Dark Elves can be competitive as well, however they are a very expensive army to buy...their special choices on foot really need plastic kits.

Belakor
30-04-2013, 13:10
Well it seems competitive is not the main issue when picking an army for this guy.

I would say VC myself because WE is lacking is many departments, and has too many metal miniatures for my taste.

Dante blackfur
30-04-2013, 14:30
Just remember, YOU are the one who is going to be spending $1k +/100+ hours buying, assembling and painting your army. So make sure you like the models. Painting models you don't like leaves you with a half finished army sitting around.

As for a push, it's been said before, VC are good cause they have the 8th Ed book. But woodies have a beautiful model range, lizardmen are fun and are rumored to have anew book coming out later this year.

Skaven are a daunting army just for the sheer volume of models needed to play. (But I love my rat army) and a core of storm vermin can be effective, just takes a little more skill.
DE are fun but in my opinion a little boring. The models don't have a lot of verity IMO. All black cloaks and dark armor.

So yeah, go with what you like despite what the shopkeeper says, as long as you "jump on the bandwagon" like so many people do with every new book. And your not WAAC player people shouldn't be rolling they're eyes at you, (honestly the only army you listed that may deserve it is skaven and only if you slave/abomb spam)

Daemonn
30-04-2013, 18:13
Thanks for all the info guys. Just to be clear, I am a returning player but have not played a game of 8th edition yet. Wood Elves models are really appealing, but after making an army list that I would enjoy painting and fielding, I didnt really like them anymore. Items and Lore Magic for them are mediocre and I wanted to field at least 40 Eternal Guard... and Right now those models are mostly metal and also expensive. Metal models were never my favorite and WE is heavy on them. So probably going to rule them out until they get their book whenever that will be.

Skaven and Lizard both seem cool too but I really dont like the Lizardmen items for the most part or how I would build my army. Just doesn't feel like something I would enjoy playing, but they are the only models I really could bear painting and paying for. Skaven I would definitely try to play, but again I like too few of the models enough to seriously justify committing to them (I want a warlock engineer / ikit claw skyre army just for fun!) So I'll rule them out. For now...!

Well, Dark Elves were a last place kinda choice, after checking out their army book, I think I'll pass. Can't get into em enough, not my style!

I think I'll have to give Vampire Counts a try....! They seem pretty fun as most people point out in terms of a balanced army. I see a lot of playstyle options that appeal to me because of the models!

Thanks for all the replies guys!!! This has helped IMMENSELY!!

Horus38
30-04-2013, 19:00
The rumor mill has LM getting a new army book later this year, so now would be a great time to start with them. It's highly unlikely their core boxes/models will not be getting an update so no worries about getting outdated models.

Daemonn
30-04-2013, 19:11
Yea thats a good consideration. While making an army list for them, I just couldnt get into the models all that much. Some of them are awesome. But others are not really in my taste range.

Skaven and Vampire Counts are the two armies I'm considering and I'll see what my shop has in stock tomorrow, as they give 15% everything in the store (except magic cards) on the 1st Wednesday of each month. Skaven fluff is so fun, but vampires look boss both to play and paint.

Rudra34
30-04-2013, 19:14
Keep in mind that with skaven you can normally find really good deals on ebay for troops from the IoB set. It's a quick way to load up on clanrats/slaves, weapons teams, and some characters.

Daemonn
30-04-2013, 19:31
Yea, at first it seemed like Skaven would require a lot of models, thus a large buy in... but the IoB and Battalion Sets are pretty good deals, and together you have an army already for around $220.

Where as Vamps have skeletons at 10/$25 or the snap together 5/$10... I would need like 40-80 minimum just to start to fill out my core. Really dont like ghouls and zombies both model wise and playing with them.

I really enjoy the skaven warp gear, clan gear and general fluff for items and skaven magic options. The only problem I see is rat ogres being my only large infantry to stop other large infantry or heavy hitters... but I would play a skyre style army supported by plague monks and pestlin gear.

Are Skaven viewed as generally a balanced force to fight? I know for awhile they were pretty highly regarded as cheesy... but that was awhile ago!

WizzyWarlock
30-04-2013, 20:16
I love my Wood Elves, I love playing them, they have a style of play all their own, I know, I've tried other armies.. But that said, I REALLY can't recommend anyone start new with Wood Elves, I'd wait until you know what GW have planned for them before wasting a ton of cash on something that might become obsolete. By that I mean they're either going to throw Wood Elves out completely, which with the way things have been going really wouldn't surprise me, or they're going to get a new book with an almost complete overhaul so they fit into the 8th Edition style of play, so new units and the likely removal of some old ones.

I'd recommend a wait and see in the case of the Wood Elves, the future certainly doesn't look bright to my eyes.

Juicy21
30-04-2013, 20:58
Dont rank deamons out aswel .. they got a 8th edition book some brand new models.. Loads of fun painting and conversion options!!

if you like vamps look at mantic models.. they got some awsome zombies;) for really low money!

FatTrucker
30-04-2013, 21:49
Skaven are great fun to play. They don't really have heavy hitters as such in terms of units. You have some great hard hitting support options (Abom, Doomwheel, Skweel buffed Rat Ogres). The thing with Skaven is numbers. You don't need too many hard hitters when you can use 60pt units to tie up your enemy for most of the game and pick and choose how and when to hit stuff, all the while cooking the enemy with warp lightning and dirty, dirty rat magic.
They get some great toys and have some nice models.
Just bear in mind virtually everything in the army has a chance of doing more damage to your own side than the enemy.

An unbreakable horde of Plague Monks pushing a Plague Priest on a Plague Furnace, using the Plague Banner can go toe to toe with pretty much anything in the game (for the turn the banner works anyway). For extra giggles run a unit of censer bearers alongside, and watch your enemy cry when they use the furnace units rank bonus, leadership, and become stubborn in combat.

A quintessential horde army, take lots, charge, dingle their bell, die in droves, and still laugh at the victory points totals.

Fear my mighty Gerbils, and the Legion with Lesions. :)

Daemonn
30-04-2013, 22:05
Dont rank deamons out aswel .. they got a 8th edition book some brand new models.. Loads of fun painting and conversion options!!

if you like vamps look at mantic models.. they got some awsome zombies;) for really low money!

I like Daemons a lot too, might have to make a few armies and see if I cant figure out something I like. Mantic Models... do they have skeletons too? Thanks for the suggestion.

Skaven are great fun to play. They don't really have heavy hitters as such in terms of units. You have some great hard hitting support options (Abom, Doomwheel, Skweel buffed Rat Ogres). The thing with Skaven is numbers. You don't need too many hard hitters when you can use 60pt units to tie up your enemy for most of the game and pick and choose how and when to hit stuff, all the while cooking the enemy with warp lightning and dirty, dirty rat magic.
They get some great toys and have some nice models.
Just bear in mind virtually everything in the army has a chance of doing more damage to your own side than the enemy.

An unbreakable horde of Plague Monks pushing a Plague Priest on a Plague Furnace, using the Plague Banner can go toe to toe with pretty much anything in the game (for the turn the banner works anyway). For extra giggles run a unit of censer bearers alongside, and watch your enemy cry when they use the furnace units rank bonus, leadership, and become stubborn in combat.

A quintessential horde army, take lots, charge, dingle their bell, die in droves, and still laugh at the victory points totals.

Fear my mighty Gerbils.

Yea, lack of hard hitters is how I saw it too. I would run rat ogres and a doomwheel, along with 2 Warlock Engineers and Ikit Claw... I'm hot for warlock engineers. Love the gear choices and spells/ability options. Couple blocks of clan rats and storm vermin, all with weapons teams, cause i like the idea of a skyre themed army. Then I can move to pestilen later as i really like the plague bell and plague monk set up... I like the amount of options Skaven have, all seem viable for pick up game play.

The skaven fluff is awesome, and might be making my decision. It also seems like an insanely good deal to pick up the IoB and Skaven Battalion for starts. Lots to play with and paint right out the gate for under $200 (15% off at my local shop). Just might be leaning that way........

FatTrucker
30-04-2013, 22:15
I would recommend picking up an Abomination too.
Really nice model and can be devastating for its points cost. As with virtually everything else in the army it can be hit and miss (literally) random move, random attacks, potential to 'misfire'. However on the odd occasion that it gets killed and actually comes back from the dead, your opponents reaction is worth the points cost alone. :)

Skaven really are great fun to play, even when it all goes wrong.

Daemonn
01-05-2013, 01:36
Skaven is looking like the likely choice now!! After checking out what models come in the IoB start kit and the Skaven Battalion box, I can easily have an army and plenty of things to paint. Vamps are still kickin around, interested in using Crypt Horrors as they seem pretty cool!

Wash
01-05-2013, 03:42
I've personally always wanted to do a vamp army because there is sooooo many conversion possibilities with them when it comes to zombies, ghouls ect...Even crypy horrors if your good with green stuff you could do some really cool ogre conversions.