PDA

View Full Version : Why does GW never have any sales/special offers/discounts/etc.?

JLEH
30-04-2013, 19:39
Is it purely for monetary gain? Or can someone from a commercial background explain why they never offer any discounts on their product? I can't think of another British retailer (of a similar scale) which does none of these activities. For example, I'm pretty sure Harrods don't make a loss when they have their big sale.

I remember when GW used to have 'grand openings' and 'grand re-openings'. There'd be offers on blisters and boxed sets. The store would be full at 9am on a Saturday morning with people buying stuff that they probably wouldn't have looked twice at otherwise. Did they work out that this harmed business in the long run?

I haven't been into a GW store for about 15 years and I rarely buy from their online store (maybe once a year?). However, if they started having sales, offering discounts, etc. again then that would change.

I'm not expecting the GW of 2013 to be like the GW of 1997 but I'm just a bit baffled as to why there is absolutely nothing. I suppose their army sets and battalions are cheaper than buying the contents separately, but that has always been the case.

Anyone?

Poncho160
30-04-2013, 19:46
Yeah i was thinking this too, when i noticed that GW seemed to be the only shops in the UK not offering any sales, this last January in the January sales.

Art Is Resistance
30-04-2013, 19:51
GW see 'sales' / clearances as diminishing the 'brand' - this has been the same for quite a few years. It used to be the case that you could go into a GW periodically and pick up bargains of torn blisters - I got pretty much my whole IG army from a bargain box in the early 90's :-D

Think on it this way - they dont need to clear 'last seasons' stock, old rule books / army books / codices aren't of use - so what is there to discount during a 'sale'?

Coldhatred
30-04-2013, 19:58
GW see 'sales' / clearances as diminishing the 'brand' - this has been the same for quite a few years. It used to be the case that you could go into a GW periodically and pick up bargains of torn blisters - I got pretty much my whole IG army from a bargain box in the early 90's :-D

Think on it this way - they dont need to clear 'last seasons' stock, old rule books / army books / codices aren't of use - so what is there to discount during a 'sale'?

Hit the nail on the head.

Jericho
30-04-2013, 20:00

That's an excellent point about seasonal stock. GW minis and rulebooks might get replaced every 5 years, but many kits are around for multiple codex cycles. Since GW knows their product cycles in advance and can plan accordingly, they aren't often left with a huge oversupply of clearance items that needs to be sold quickly.

Forgeworld is the epitome of this philosophy, as they seem to produce stock in an on-demand, weekly fashion instead of stockpiling and warehousing miniatures.

Apple is one of the only large companies I can think of that avoids discounts/sale prices. Pretty much the only time you can get a discount when buying direct from Apple is on Black Friday, unless you're buying a refurbished model. Even then, discounts are often like 10% at best.

MarkNorfolk
30-04-2013, 20:45
Shops don't have discount sales because it's the done thing...they have them because someone bought a bucket load of stock that it turned out no-one wanted....so they lower the price dramatically to clear the rubbish and generate cash to pay their suppliers and get new stock that people will pay RRP for. GW don't have that problem anymore so no discounts!

Cheers
Mark

JLEH
30-04-2013, 20:49
Shops don't have discount sales because it's the done thing...they have them because someone bought a bucket load of stock that it turned out no-one wanted....so they lower the price dramatically to clear the rubbish and generate cash to pay their suppliers and get new stock that people will pay RRP for. GW don't have that problem anymore so no discounts!

Cheers
Mark

GW DID have them because it was "the done thing"...at one point, anyway.

Mastodon
30-04-2013, 20:52
Its mostly because GW dont have seasonal stock. You dont have issues like in Fashion stores where they have bag loads of coats left over in June so need to shift them, or Electronic stores when the new version of the Sony Whatsamazit 4000 is out so they need to shift the previous versions.

It also devalues the brand, which is why Apple also tend to avoid it.

Another knock on effect is you see your trading periods swing wildly from massive customer base to almost 0 due to the 'sales' trend. If customers know a popular sales weekend is coming up, why would they purchase something at the start of the month? This actually leads to less money made in the end, since most items tend to go into the 'discount' pile to get any sort of custom.

Chapters Unwritten
30-04-2013, 21:00
You'd think that given the fact they charge such huge prices, that even huge sales would still be profitable. There are tons of things I won't buy from them because I know they aren't solid army choices and I have to pinch every penny sue to their prices... But I'd buy more of the prices of some things were lowered occasionally according to demand.

The last time they did anything like this was those amazing apoc boxed sets and I think it came to bite them in the ass because, for example, I got a three vindicator box set and then didn't need to buy any more vindicators ever again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Bigglesworth
30-04-2013, 21:02
Its a different kind of business for sure, but steam don't have warehouses full of unsold games, yet they have sales quite often. I know a lot of their "sales" are not always good deals, or they do bundles that are 1p more than buying separately, yet sometimes you can get a good discount. I can see why GW might think sales would "tarnish" their image, people might realise that they are buying injection moulded plastic that cost pennies to produce, rather than the hand carved statues they would like you to think you were buying :), but Christmas sales on the whole are to get people in the shops buying stuff, its the January sales that are to get rid of excess stock, so I can't see why they can't do one occasionally.

EA's excuse for never having Origin (their propitiatory game downloading software / store) is "it would devalue our games", but its just greed probably.

Forge world seem to understand that veteran gamers love good value stuff, thats why the space marine legion bundles are so popular, you get a load of space marines, and save about 20 or something.

Its actually a 40 saving now I check.

Though of course someone is going to say the were overpriced to start with :)

shelfunit.
30-04-2013, 21:09
Its a different kind of business for sure, but steam don't have warehouses full of unsold games, yet they have sales quite often. I know a lot of their "sales" are not always good deals, or they do bundles that are 1p more than buying separately, yet sometimes you can get a good discount. I can see why GW might think sales would "tarnish" their image, people might realise that they are buying injection moulded plastic that cost pennies to produce, rather than the hand carved statues they would like you to think you were buying :), but Christmas sales on the whole are to get people in the shops buying stuff, its the January sales that are to get rid of excess stock, so I can't see why they can't do one occasionally.

As Mastadon said in the last bit of his post - people will wait until the sales to buy anything. This is however a problem of their own making, the pricing thread details exactly why everyone would wait for any sales.

Bigglesworth
30-04-2013, 21:27
As Mastadon said in the last bit of his post - people will wait until the sales to buy anything. This is however a problem of their own making, the pricing thread details exactly why everyone would wait for any sales.

Its true, though reading the threads you mention I would think a lot of people are waiting in vain for a sale or price cut until buying anything (I know this sounds like what you just said but I'm referring to people who've all but given up rather than people who are meerly annoyed). Its easier of course when your only physical costs are server electricity, and you have a theoretically infinite supply of product. I can see why GW don't do them for the reasons mentioned before, I.e no need given no end of season products or oversupply other retailers have.

I suppose people assume sales are for their benefit, buts its always done to benefit the retailer in some way, if there's no benefit there's no sale.

Art Is Resistance
30-04-2013, 21:51
GW DID have them because it was "the done thing"...at one point, anyway.
I would disagree (slightly). The only 'sales' that GW ever did was to (as previously mentioned) shift damaged stock, or where a new store was opening - giving buy 2 red dot items get a yellow dot item free (I picked up a few of these - travelled round the midlands and North to openings just for the deals).

I dont think that can be classified as 'the done thing' can it?

alwaysjung
30-04-2013, 22:13
Is it purely for monetary gain? Or can someone from a commercial background explain why they never offer any discounts on their product? I can't think of another British retailer (of a similar scale) which does none of these activities. For example, I'm pretty sure Harrods don't make a loss when they have their big sale.

I remember when GW used to have 'grand openings' and 'grand re-openings'. There'd be offers on blisters and boxed sets. The store would be full at 9am on a Saturday morning with people buying stuff that they probably wouldn't have looked twice at otherwise. Did they work out that this harmed business in the long run?

I haven't been into a GW store for about 15 years and I rarely buy from their online store (maybe once a year?). However, if they started having sales, offering discounts, etc. again then that would change.

I'm not expecting the GW of 2013 to be like the GW of 1997 but I'm just a bit baffled as to why there is absolutely nothing. I suppose their army sets and battalions are cheaper than buying the contents separately, but that has always been the case.

Anyone?

I know that if I bought a Battalion box for 120.00 and 31 days later (meaning even of there was a 30 day price guarantee) I stopped back in the store and it was "on sale" for 99.00 I would be extremely upset that I didn't wait for the sale. on the other side, I stopped in the store one day and saw that the battalion box was on sale for 99.00 and I decided to wait 2 days (next payday) and came back in to find that the sale had ended while I waited and now the price was back to 120.00 I would be upset once again. also I would now believe that the true price of that battalion box was 99.00 and not 120.00 and would not pay the 120.00 price point. GW not running sales means that pricing stays consistent and the value of the brand always remains the same. they do make available to the customer many different ways to save some money- battalion boxes are actually an example of a way to save money on the models that you buy- you can also save money with core game systems, and mega force boxes when they are available.

also the idea that the prices just keep going up is a misconception. an example of this is the crisis battle suits for the tau- they used to be $25 for the box- now they are $65- wow what a price increase- right. but they use to have just 1 model now they have 3 so the price per model actually went down- however the price per box actually went up- I buy models though not the boxes:)

anchorbine
01-05-2013, 02:40
I haven't played magic in eons, have they had a sale on their booster packs lately?

Importman
01-05-2013, 03:01
I remember going into Auckland GW about 13 years ago and getting stuff on sale. They had the buy 2 get 1 free promo running and I got my entire horde of then metal killa kans and 30 or so metal savage orcs that way.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Wintermute
01-05-2013, 06:53
This subject should be discussed here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?209297-Games-Workshop-Pricing-Feedback-Thread)

Thread Closed

Wintermute