PDA

View Full Version : Marine Scout heavy army - please help!

Peachy
27-05-2006, 12:28
I'm trying to come up with a slightly different kind of marine list and was thinking of a scout heavy army. Basic fluff is that it's a first strike force that goes in, finds the enemy and then calls in terminators and a dreadnaught for support.

The basic list I'm thinking of at the moment is:

Captain in term armour
4 terminators - 2 ass cannons
5 terminators - 2 cyclones
2 x 10 scouts with close combat weps
2 x 5 scouts with 2 missile launchers and sniper rifles
dreadnaught
2 Tornado landspeeders

Couple of questions:
i) Would people enjoy playing against this list or is it just another marine army?
ii) What chapter should I go? Was thinking either Imperial Fists or Blood Angels?
iii) Can scout heavy armies be competitive at tournaments?
iv) Are sniper rifles any good or would bolters be better?

Thanks in advance:)

Reign in Blood
27-05-2006, 12:39
Captain in term armour
4 terminators - 2 ass cannons
5 terminators - 2 cyclones
2 x 10 scouts with close combat weps
2 x 5 scouts with 2 missile launchers and sniper rifles
dreadnaught

Couple of questions:
i) Would people enjoy playing against this list or is it just another marine army?
ii) What chapter should I go? Was thinking either Imperial Fists or Blood Angels?
iii) Can scout heavy armies be competitive at tournaments?
iv) Are sniper rifles any good or would bolters be better?

Thanks in advance:)

Hey mate. I like the idea and would like to try something similar myself. I don't think it is an original idea, but I do think that mostly it stays an idea because I have only heard of very few. I would like to play against this kind of list but then I would play anyone.

Sniper rifles are very good IMO (and apparently they are better in cityfight-might want to check the rumours forum). I wouldn't know anything about tournies because I have never participated in any official ones, sorry. I might suggest that you go with Dark angels, not because I collect them, but because stubborness might be useful in this kind of army...then again it might be a bad thing. If you go Blood Angels take a chaplain...They maybe expensive but you don't want to deal with stupid Death Company. This kind of army would be different to play with in regards to the scouts, more like an granadiers (sp?) IG force but without plasma, meltas, etc.. The general concensus is that assault cannons are better then cyclones but it depends on you if you ask me.

Hope that helps.
RiB

kanluwen
27-05-2006, 12:44
Actually, I had run an army like this once before. You don't want the close combat weapons for the scouts, use them with bolters and a heavy bolter instead. Also, make all of the squads 10 man squads with the Sergeant carrying a Teleport homer for the Terminators. In response to what Chapter? The Crimson Fists are still rebuilding their strength, and as such will have more Scouts than most do. Dark Angels also would be a good force, as RiB said because of the Stubbornness, but also as Dark Angels tend to be a reactionary force to the Fallen and Scouts seem to be a biggy for them.

Regarding the Terminators and Dreadnaught: Rather than having two pure weapons for each squad, have a Heavy Flamer and an Assault Cannon in each. Trust me here, it works nicely. The Dreadnaught is a so/so thing. Big, stompy machine that can't Deep Strike means it'd be on the ground with the Scouts. Rather than a Dreadnaught, add in another bolter Scout squad.

ashc
27-05-2006, 12:52
The Dreadnaught is a so/so thing. Big, stompy machine that can't Deep Strike means it'd be on the ground with the Scouts.

He *could* decide to deep strike him in a drop pod if he so desired.

Ash

BloodiedSword
27-05-2006, 13:00
Interesting - I'd say go for it. If nothing else, you have the cool factor of having a Marine army without any 3+ saves..

Plus, I think Scouts and Termies go well together. The only thing I can think of is how to make sure the focus remains on the Scouts, rather than the Termies..

purerockfury
27-05-2006, 16:30
one thing i haven't heard anyone say is where is the hq? i take it it's going to go with the 4 man termie squad?

10 man squads for the scouts is best. especially since they are low armoured and will be the only things on the board for your side.

although the termies are a good punch it would seem a bit odd to see just scouts and termies. i understand the concept and it seems to be a good idea. but instead of a dread why not take an assault jump pack unit? since although the termies are good at it you kinda kept them to a fire support role especially with assault cannons and cyclones. also the fire support from the scouts with snipers and heavy bolters adds to this fire power. leaving you virtually no close combat. and man jump packs are just cool looking. and gives another way for your hq to come into battle.

the story lines for this army are great. like scouting parties were sent out ahead of the main forces only to be discovered and attacked by a large enemy force. and with the situation being really grim they needed to call in reinforcements. those reinforcements can be the assault squad and termies. pretty much the only things on planet that can get to them quickly.

i like most everything you have listed just not the dread. and all the scout units should be 10 man. the 5 man squads have not enough numbers and with a lower saving throw will not last more than a turn or two if there not set up properly.

here's my proposed (1500 pts) list:

hq- master of sanctity with jump pack, and any other gear you feel is necessary

troops- 2* 10 man scouts with sniper rifles and rocket launcher. don't forget to give the sarge the sniper too
2* 10 man scouts with bolters and heavy bolters

elites- 5 termies with 2 assault cannons
5 termies with 2 cyclone rocket launcers

fast attack- 9 man assault squad with jump packs (this squad will protect your master of sanctity)

you can add chainfists to the termies to help with vehicles a bit more. but i really like this list and if no one else uses it i may use it in the far future.

Peachy
28-05-2006, 08:25
Assault marines would fit in but I'd rather just have scouts and termies at the moment. No power armour for me :)

Have made a few changes, namely dropping the dreadnaught for some bikes, and the cyclones for more scouts with sniper rifles. I've also dropped the close combat scouts for ones with bolters.

Are the scout bikers worth it? Seem pretty weak on paper, but they are nice and themey. The alternative is to have another squad of 10 scouts with bolters and a heavy bolter (same points cost).

Also, what do people think of Lysander? Is it cheesey having a special character, or should I just make my own commander? The main problem with Lysander (apart from not being able to use him in some tournys) is that he's geared for close combat, whereas the rest of my terms aren't. Any thoughts?

HQ (395)
Lysander (170)
4 Terminators (195)
- 1 assault cannon
- 1 heavy flamer
- 1 chain fist
Drop Pod (30)

Troops (568)
7 scouts + 1 sergeant (149)
- 6 sniper rifles
- 1 missile launcher

7 scouts + 1 sergeant (149)