PDA

View Full Version : Craziness that happened to me yesterday (WH-related, lol - pics inside)

PrehistoricUFO
01-05-2013, 17:56
@mods
Didn't know if I should put this in the 40K or Fantasy forum, since it pertains to both, really.

So yesterday I finish work, the gym, eating, then I try to lay down and sleep. Before I nod off though, I decided to check my Kijiji page (a local trading site, can find almost everything on here). I have the page bookmarked to auto-search the term 'Warhammer', to only show results related to Warhammer Fantasy/40K - anything with the keyword in it.

I see an ad posted less than 2 minutes prior saying 'URGENT - FREE - WARHAMMER MODELS, FIRST TO RESPOND GETS IT ALL'.

I quickly text message the fellow and he says I won the race, but he lives about 1 hour away from me (at this point I was adamant he'd decline my request and wait for the next dummy). I tell him "I'll pay you to drive the models to me!", he says "No worries, happy to drive them to you". I'm quite happy at the moment. I don't really care what the items are, I can always use items for conversions/trade with friends/sell, etc.

So a couple of hours go by, and the guy messages me saying he is close by. He still hasn't given me any details, as he sounded as if he was in a rush and I'm not going to risk annoying him into reconsidering. I was expecting maybe a couple of regiments of something, or a squad or two from 40K or whatnot.

He arrives, and the guy unloads all THIS from his car:

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_001997.jpg

My jaw absolutely dropped. Within one of the boxes there were all these:

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002002.jpg

Every case is LOADED to capacity with models. One case is chock FULL of a DKOK army!! The other cases have an embarrassing amount of IG models and Catachan models. Tons of sentinels and weapons teams in particular. One of the boxes contains the last 4 editions of rulebooks from both game systems, and the codexes/army books for all the armies he gave me. A bunch of LotR crap too, but that will likely be tossed, can't give that stuff away, lol.

The other boxes contained a TON of models all carefully wrapped, it appears to be a very large Orcs & Goblins army (many brand new/on sprue still), a large Tomb Kings army, and an enormous - ENORMOUS Imperial Guard/DKOK army:

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002007.jpg

Yes, that's a Baneblade.

One other box contained a whole lot of very high quality scenery. Some of it is official GW stuff (old OOP trees, modular hills, bunkers, etc), but the prettiest piece imo was this:

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002003.jpg

The Warhammer fortress. I've never owned one before since I'm not into Fantasy, but I may consider using the Tomb King army, or the O&G army now.

He also gave me his tool/hobby kit which contains many of the Citadel hobby tools/supplies, and a ton of basing material, mainly static grass and flock, some sand and tiny rocks.

There are also some items that I need your guys' help identifying/pricing. There appears to be a VERY old Citadel Miniatures dwarf boxed set. The box it is in doesn't identify what the contents exactly are, it's just a bunch (52 in total) pewter dwarves that are Copyrighted in 1984, and the solid bases are signed by a guy named 'Ansell'. I've found in the Stuff of Legends site that there was a run of dwarves called '(Bryan) Ansell's Heroes' or something, but the other models don't match the set, and the SoL site doesn't contain pictures of the other items. Any old timers here who can ID what it is I have, and what it could be worth?:

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002015.jpg
This is the model with 'Ansell 84' carved into the solid base.

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002010.jpg

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002016.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Messiahnide
01-05-2013, 18:01
WOAH!! I cant Identify the dwarves but dude thats a magnificent haul of free stuff........

PrehistoricUFO
01-05-2013, 18:06
WOAH!! I cant Identify the dwarves but dude thats a magnificent haul of free stuff........

Yeah I barely got any sleep last night because I was so excited. It took me hours to unpack very carefully, and all I wanted to do was keep sifting through the madness to see what I got. I haven't been able to stop smiling since the driveway . . .

Lokust
01-05-2013, 18:08
That's a really remarkable windfall. Good for you! :)

Messiahnide
01-05-2013, 18:10
I bet you havnt! the closest Ive came to something this cool for free is when I got a box of RTB01 marines that were built but not painted and a old land raider.

hobbic_c
01-05-2013, 18:14
Congrats! Just curious, did they give you a reason for wanting shot of it?

Dylius
01-05-2013, 18:14
Wow. Did he say why he wanted to get rid of it all?

PrehistoricUFO
01-05-2013, 18:19
I asked him, and he said his mother sent it to him from the UK some years back (the newest edition rulebook in the boxes was 5th edition 40K, so at least last year he quit, at most several years ago), and now it's just taking up space. It was incredible, he wouldn't take a single red cent, I offered him SOMETHING for this ginormous haul, yet he declined!

brightblade
01-05-2013, 18:49
Wow! He must have needed the space fast! I bet his missus told him to get rid if it and he couldn't bear tossing it out! At least this way he knows it will be loved!

Shame you are not in the uk I would have had the Lotr stuff! Lol! :)

Good on yer!

Worship
01-05-2013, 18:57
Wow I really can't believe this. How fortunate for you!

Geeze, it's definitely not every day something like this happens lol

TheFang
01-05-2013, 19:07
Dwarfs are a big mix of stuff. I can see Bugman's rangers (http://www.solegends.com/citrr/rr01bugman.htm) from different releases (http://www.solegends.com/citrr/rrd01bugmans.htm)and early pre slotta-check the C06 ranges (http://www.solegends.com/citc/index.htm). Ansell is Bryan Ansell one time owner of GW/Citadel. That's one of Ansell's Heroic Adventurers (http://www.solegends.com/citboxes/c1baheros.htm). Most would sell for a few pounds each on average.

PrehistoricUFO
01-05-2013, 19:14
Dwarfs are a big mix of stuff. I can see Bugman's rangers (http://www.solegends.com/citrr/rr01bugman.htm) from different releases (http://www.solegends.com/citrr/rrd01bugmans.htm)and early pre slotta-check the C06 ranges (http://www.solegends.com/citc/index.htm). Ansell is Bryan Ansell one time owner of GW/Citadel. That's one of Ansell's Heroic Adventurers (http://www.solegends.com/citboxes/c1baheros.htm). Most would sell for a few pounds each on average.

Thanks for the info, I figured some of them would be in the C06 range, but without images of the actual models, the poses and weaponry are too generic for me to accurately distinguish. One day I'll have to sit down and catalog every single model in the Dwarf box. Thanks again for those links!!

Kijamon
01-05-2013, 19:17
Astounded with that, especially DKOK stuff. Share the love but keep the cool stuff.

You'll feel good if you donate the fortress or a few of the bits and bobs you know you won't use to some local guy in a game store.

Coldhatred
01-05-2013, 19:18
Man, free DKOK, wow! Congratulations! I'd have to be in super, super lucky for someone to give me even a unit of those, let alone an army! Alas, I am stuck with getting ready to buy the not-as-cool Cadian models and trying to come up with a cool back story for them so they are at least palatable. Again, congratulations!

Konovalev
01-05-2013, 19:33
That's pretty amazing, and generous of him. The first thing that came to mind after reading this though was that someone had a particularly nasty breakup and decided to maliciously offload their significant others hobby items as quickly as possible.

PrehistoricUFO
01-05-2013, 19:51
That's pretty amazing, and generous of him. The first thing that came to mind after reading this though was that someone had a particularly nasty breakup and decided to maliciously offload their significant others hobby items as quickly as possible.

I also considered this to be a possibility.

Nikolaus
01-05-2013, 19:57

This is what i am thinking too..

It sounds too good to be true..

PrehistoricUFO
01-05-2013, 20:03
This is what i am thinking too..

It sounds too good to be true..

Well it's a good thing I'm not an idiot, and gave him some random suburban address in my city to meet me at. Yeah, this is my 'house', lol.

Good thing the people weren't home at the time. :D

IncrediSteve
01-05-2013, 20:10
I was thinking the same, more along the lines of a divorce. Give it away ASAP so the bitter ex can't try to claim it [nor the money from selling it].

PrehistoricUFO
01-05-2013, 20:11
Wow! He must have needed the space fast! I bet his missus told him to get rid if it and he couldn't bear tossing it out! At least this way he knows it will be loved!

Shame you are not in the uk I would have had the Lotr stuff! Lol! :)

Good on yer!

If you really want it, I'll mail it to you if you PayPal me the S+H charges. I was going to bitz the LotR stuff. Of course, I haven't inventoried the boxes yet, I don't know precisely how much is LotR, I just know one pack I randomly selected had a bunch of humans and orcs from the range in it. Also a bunch of books pertaining to it.

brightblade
01-05-2013, 20:24
Ha ha! I am sure it wouldn't be worth it! Not even sure what the postage from Canada would be!

Oooops! I do hope this isn't a hobby dump in revenge from a spurned lover? That would be terrible! There is a lot of stuff!

Would it be worth ringing the local store to him/you to make sure someone hasn't reported some nefarious shenanigans? How good would it be if it was the case and you helped a gamer get their stuff back?

Sternguard777
02-05-2013, 02:11
Would it be worth ringing the local store to him/you to make sure someone hasn't reported some nefarious shenanigans? How good would it be if it was the case and you helped a gamer get their stuff back?

Given the sheer amount of STUFF that seems unlikely to me.

@UFO Where in Canada are you? After you are done cataloging I may be interested in some stuff :shifty:

PrehistoricUFO
02-05-2013, 03:46
So I've organized/sorted the entire treasure trove, it is a LOT of stuff.

I will be posting photos tomorrow of a lot of items that I need help identifying to catalog properly. I don't know much about the armies contained, and I'm trying to find the models on the GW site but I think a lot of this stuff is OOP or I'm just not recognizing it, admittedly. I know which army items belong to, but for example, the IG tanks are numerous and some don't match the images on the site so I need to know what's what. Tune in tomorrow!!

Also if there's any interest in the stuff I post tomorrow, PM me. It will be on a first come, first served basis naturally, so keep an eye out. I won't get into specifics, but the armies that have a ton of stuff are:

- Imperial Guard - The largest collection by a long shot. Appears to be various sects, like an entire Steel Legion army, a Catachan jungle army, and a normal IG army.
- Tomb Kings.
- Orcs and Goblins (tons of these, almost as much as the IG stuff).
- Dwarves.
- Lots of assorted random items (LotR stuff, an Ogre kingdoms giant, some Fantasy Empire models).
- Buttloads of scenery.
- Many rulebooks, codexes, army books of all kinds. Most are outdated, this guy obviously quit the hobby before 6th/8th ed.
- Back issues of WD.
- I did mention an army case full of DKOK earlier but that's already been claimed by a friend of mine, sorry. ;)

@Sternguard

I'm in the GTA, Ontario. Halton Region, specifically.

@moderators

Hi guys, is there any way I can be allowed to make a post - different than this one of course - in the Fantasy forum to maximize the help in IDing the stuff I have? While this load is a lot of 40K, there's almost just as much Fantasy, tons of obscure items that don't seem to be on the GW site. I hate to be an attention whore but this amount of stuff is out of my league and I need help from fellow Seers. Thanks.

Friedrich von Offenbach
02-05-2013, 06:34
Can't help but feel that somethings not right here

IncrediSteve
02-05-2013, 07:15
Hi guys, is there any way I can be allowed to make a post - different than this one of course - in the Fantasy forum to maximize the help in IDing the stuff I have? While this load is a lot of 40K, there's almost just as much Fantasy, tons of obscure items that don't seem to be on the GW site. I hate to be an attention whore but this amount of stuff is out of my league and I need help from fellow Seers. Thanks.

No reason you can't make a legitimately different post in each relevant section. Just don't copy and paste your whole thread. This one is for 40k, make a "help me ID some models" in the fantasy general with the relevant pictures, and then one for LotR. You have legitimate content for each, so it isn't spamming. Just organize each one appropriately.

totgeboren
02-05-2013, 10:13
Hopefully all is well, but I can't shake the feeling that there might be a certain Davis Ross who is not to happy right now.

destroyerlord
02-05-2013, 11:27
I could be interested in taking some of the LotR stuff off your hands, depending on how much you have and shipping of course.

DYoung
02-05-2013, 11:31
It's clearly cursed. Make sure you don't give anything away because you'll likely have to return it all with a blood sacrifice lest you be damned for all eternity.

Lord Inquisitor
02-05-2013, 11:34
It's clearly cursed.

This is the one explanation so far that makes sense! Perhaps they'll suck you into the game like Jumanji?

Harwammer
02-05-2013, 11:51
I don't understand the reasons behind what has happend. I'd be reluctant to get involved.

Commissar Merces
02-05-2013, 11:54
What good fortune! Congratulations.

While I understand some of the concern here about the guy's motives to get rid of his stuff, why can't this be a true act of good faith?

What kind of person dropped these off? A young person? Older guy? Did he look like a rough customer?

Harwammer
02-05-2013, 12:00
Maybe it was good fortune.

Maybe the donor was recently broken into and wants to shift his old warhammer collection to claim it was stolen? /shrug

How forceful he was against OP backing out seems a little odd.

Sephillion
02-05-2013, 12:06
This is the one explanation so far that makes sense! Perhaps they'll suck you into the game like Jumanji?

If there's one universe I DON'T wanna get sucked in, it's WH40K! Unless the world transfer comes with an astartes upgrade...

@UFO Nice catch!

eldargal
02-05-2013, 12:14
An impressive haul, well done.

Boreal
02-05-2013, 14:08
Congrats mate, the empty army boxes on their own are worth having :)

It's a shame though, baring in mind Ying and Yang you're never likely to win the lottery :)

baphomael
02-05-2013, 14:31
Wow. Just wow. You are one lucky bar steward!!

Seriously, that's quite a haul there!!

Luffwaffle
02-05-2013, 15:44
I'm so jealous. I couldn't imagine someone just giving that much stuff away, not that I would complain though, I'd kill for some steel legion models.

Sqallum
02-05-2013, 17:04
That is truly awesome, especially the DKOK.

Chem-Dog
02-05-2013, 17:43

This.

I find it hard to believe that the legitimate owner of all of those boxes packed with models would be so utterly unconcerned with their inherent value that he simply gives them away to the first person to ask, for the sake of a cupboard's worth of space.

I'd sit on it for a while before doing anything other than identifying the models, possibly even consider reporting it to the police when you've got a full inventory, just to cover your own backside. Worse that can happen then is that you have to hand back the whole lot to their legitimate owner.

Kijamon
02-05-2013, 17:46
This.

I find it hard to believe that the legitimate owner of all of those boxes packed with models would be so utterly unconcerned with their inherent value that he simply gives them away to the first person to ask, for the sake of a cupboard's worth of space.

I'd sit on it for a while before doing anything other than identifying the models, possibly even consider reporting it to the police when you've got a full inventory, just to cover your own backside. Worse that can happen then is that you have to hand back the whole lot to their legitimate owner.

Exactly. You would get a lot of people biting if you asked for 300 never mind 0.

PrehistoricUFO
02-05-2013, 18:19
What kind of person dropped these off? A young person? Older guy? Did he look like a rough customer?

Tall slim caucasian, heavy UK accent, young - I estimate in his very early 30s. I'm a straight male, but I'm comfortable saying he was an attractive fellow, certainly not the stereotype.

In order to cover myself, I contacted the guy again this morning. I asked him very politely to assure me that this stuff is legitimate, he then identified himself as David Ross, which is the name printed on pretty much every case and the boxes that they came in. He then nicely explained that he is getting married, and he is moving, so the storage unit he rented had to be cleaned out - these items were simply in the way. He said he didn't care about the value, he just wanted to 'move on' from the hobby. I don't remember him introducing himself with a name, possibly because my mind was so jumbled at seeing the sheer amount of stuff at the time I wasn't in the frame of mind to intake information. Therefore, I feel I've done my due diligence, there doesn't seem to be any more I can do that won't result in fakers claiming the items to be theirs.

@thread

I've received a ton of PMs regarding this haul, all I can say is please be patient ladies and gents. I just got home from the gym so I'm now going to sort it all out, take photos and post them here. I'll be putting the items that I suspect go together, together. The Fantasy forum will have another thread asking for help IDing, which I'll link to this one if any of y'all are interested in the Fantasy stuff.

Lord Inquisitor
02-05-2013, 18:30
I think you've done enough to set your mind at rest. Very lucky!

PrehistoricUFO
02-05-2013, 20:53
The Fantasy thread is up: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?371399-Please-assist-me-in-identifying-models&p=6750612#post6750612 , check it out while I work on the 40K photos in this thread.

PrehistoricUFO
02-05-2013, 21:03
So here are the photos. Again, if anyone can put prices on this stuff - even rough ballparks, I'd appreciate it:

The Armageddon Steel Legion stuff is on the closest quarter of the table in the first pic, and on the far right in the second pic:
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002039.jpg
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002036.jpg

Are these guys named/special? I recognize Yarrick, that's it:
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002037.jpg

What are these models meant to be paired with? There aren't any special weapon platforms that look like they first missiles:
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002038.jpg

This is where I need the most help, I have no idea what half these tanks are. Some I've identified like the Chimeras/Basilisk, but the rest either aren't on the site or weapons loadouts are different from what's shown on the GW site that I can't recognize them:

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002019.jpg
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002020.jpg
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002021.jpg
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002022.jpg - Obviously a Baneblade, but I THINK there is a second weapon specifically for the Baneblade in the first photo I linked, it's a shorter barrel weapon platform thingy, with an enormous base that can really on fit on the Baneblade. Is this for the Baneblade?

Thanks a lot everyone! I'm mentally worn out right now lol, physically too, my back is sore from all the hunching over laying the models out these past hours.

Bigglesworth
02-05-2013, 21:20
So here are the photos. Again, if anyone can put prices on this stuff - even rough ballparks, I'd appreciate it:

Are these guys named/special? I recognize Yarrick, that's it:
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002037.jpg

What are these models meant to be paired with? There aren't any special weapon platforms that look like they first missiles:
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002038.jpg

The two guys by Yarrick are a commissar, and a steel legion commissar (or just an officer).

The catachan with the big shell goes with a mortar I believe, and the guys with the box like clips with shells sticking out are autocannon crewmen.

The tank with the large hull mounted cannon is a http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Imperial_Guard_Tanks/DESTROYER-TANK-HUNTER-COMPLETE-KIT.html

And one is a salamander command vehicle

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Imperial_Guard_Tanks/SALAMANDER-COMMAND-VEHICLE-COMPLETE-KIT.html

And the thing you describe as an extra turret for the baneblade is a forgeworld defence turret they no longer make

http://www.ifelix.net/gamingblog/wp-content/img_3472.jpg

So it seems the guy had some forge world stuff too, so look there if theres anything else you can't identify

PrehistoricUFO
02-05-2013, 21:23
One more thing I forgot, the LotR stuff - I won't make a new thread in the LotR forum because there isn't enough and a few people in this very thread have expressed an interest. There are also two books, one rulebook and something else:

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002023.jpg

Luffwaffle
02-05-2013, 21:33
This is where I need the most help, I have no idea what half these tanks are. Some I've identified like the Chimeras/Basilisk, but the rest either aren't on the site or weapons loadouts are different from what's shown on the GW site that I can't recognize them:

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002019.jpg
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002020.jpg
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002021.jpg
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/planetshaker/WP_002022.jpg - Obviously a Baneblade, but I THINK there is a second weapon specifically for the Baneblade in the first photo I linked, it's a shorter barrel weapon platform thingy, with an enormous base that can really on fit on the Baneblade. Is this for the Baneblade?

In the first pic of the vehicles you have:
A salamander command vehicle (open topped chimera)
What looks like a forgeworld hellhound (chimera with gas tanks on the side)
A Destroyer tank hunter (Tank with big gun on it's hull)
A leman russ that looks to have been converted in to a vanquisher (Leman russ with the long barrel)
I think that Leman Russ turret that's not attached to a hull is a defensive emplacement.

As for the second pic of the chimeras, most of them are standard chimera with multilasers, but some have forgeworld heavy bolter turrets.

The pic of the three leman russes are just two LRs with battle cannons, and the last one is a demolisher. The 4th thing on the end is a basilisk artillery piece.

If there's anything else that you cant identify, be sure to look on forgeworld aswell as GW's site.

PrehistoricUFO
02-05-2013, 21:37
In the first pic of the vehicles you have:
A salamander command vehicle (open topped chimera)
What looks like a forgeworld hellhound (chimera with gas tanks on the side)
A Destroyer tank hunter (Tank with big gun on it's hull)
A leman russ that looks to have been converted in to a vanquisher (Leman russ with the long barrel)
I think that Leman Russ turret that's not attached to a hull is a defensive emplacement.

As for the second pic of the chimeras, most of them are standard chimera with multilasers, but some have forgeworld heavy bolter turrets.

The pic of the three leman russes are just two LRs with battle cannons, and the last one is a demolisher. The 4th thing on the end is a basilisk artillery piece.

-

That's what I'm talkin' about!

Wow Forge World stuff, eh? That explains why a lot of the weapons are real heavy and some parts weigh a whole lot. That's great to know! Thanks a lot!!

Luffwaffle
02-05-2013, 21:40
Now that I've looked at that long barreled Leman Russ some more, I think it is this http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Imperial_Guard_Tanks/VANQUISHER-GRYPHONNE-IV-COMPLETE-KIT.html

Also I'd be interested in buying the steel legion infantry and those two Leman Russes with the battle cannons. PM me with a price if you decide to get rid of them.

brightblade
02-05-2013, 21:45
Hey yo! Just wanted to say well done for chasing it up and making sure everything was on the straight and narrow!

Just a guy wanting the stuff to go to a good home! That is you! Time to now enjoy your good fortune and pass on the smiles with the stuff you are not too keen on! Someone will want it!

Well done. Good on yer! 😄

PrehistoricUFO
02-05-2013, 21:55
Time to now enjoy your good fortune and pass on the smiles with the stuff you are not too keen on! Someone will want it!

Did you want the stuff in the LotR pic? Looks like 25 models or so, with a couple of rulebooks.

@Luftwaffle

Yep, that looks to be it! Very cool, although the LR chassis I have seems to have bolters on the side sponsons, the one in the FW pic doesn't. Does that make a difference from the kit or was the gun just bought separately?

Bigglesworth
02-05-2013, 21:58
Did you want the stuff in the LotR pic? Looks like 25 models or so, with a couple of rulebooks.

@Luftwaffle

Yep, that looks to be it! Very cool, although the LR chassis I have seems to have bolters on the side sponsons, the one in the FW pic doesn't. Does that make a difference from the kit or was the gun just bought separately?

Sponsons are optional with the leman russ you don't have to put them on

PrehistoricUFO
02-05-2013, 21:59
Sponsons are optional with the leman russ you don't have to put them on

Perfect, good to know. Thanks for that.

Angelwing
02-05-2013, 22:01
Lovely haul. Have fun and good fortune finding happy homes for it all :)

PostinDirty
02-05-2013, 22:25
just FYI, that hellhound doesn't look like FW, but rather the original one released during 2nd edition. Heavy because those bits are made of frikkin LEAD baby!

edit: gratz on the haul, looks like these guys will find a good home

Chem-Dog
02-05-2013, 22:26
he then identified himself as David Ross, which is the name printed on pretty much every case and the boxes that they came in.

I really don't want to labour the point but this only really proves he can read labels.

This doesn't look like some kind of ruse to part you from money or property, as the sheer cost of the stuff you've been handed renders it a lousy investment, especially as you made the precaution of taking receipt away from your home.

If it's anything untoward it's most likely to be a malicious act of depriving an individual of his stuff by vanishing it. Acts like this are personal, meaning the perpetrator knows the victim, usually intimately.

I might be guilty of being a cynical old goat here, but spare a thought for a guy who looses a collection the size of the one you've had land in your lap, imagine you're him and wonder exactly what you'd feel was due diligence before a stranger dismantled and sold it on.

PrehistoricUFO
02-05-2013, 22:27
just FYI, that hellhound doesn't look like FW, but rather the original one released during 2nd edition. Heavy because those bits are made of frikkin LEAD baby!

edit: gratz on the haul, looks like these guys will find a good home

Looks like you're correct: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:Hellhound.gif#.UYLoUMpeGwQ

Bigglesworth
02-05-2013, 22:59
I really don't want to labour the point but this only really proves he can read labels.

This doesn't look like some kind of ruse to part you from money or property, as the sheer cost of the stuff you've been handed renders it a lousy investment, especially as you made the precaution of taking receipt away from your home.

If it's anything untoward it's most likely to be a malicious act of depriving an individual of his stuff by vanishing it. Acts like this are personal, meaning the perpetrator knows the victim, usually intimately.

I might be guilty of being a cynical old goat here, but spare a thought for a guy who looses a collection the size of the one you've had land in your lap, imagine you're him and wonder exactly what you'd feel was due diligence before a stranger dismantled and sold it on.

If they just wanted to deprive someone of it it would be easier to throw them into an industrial bin somewhere and be done with it, just giving them away means it could be possibly recovered at some date, and be more likely to lead back to the thief.

It does seem a bit odd that someone would be malicious enough to steal several k of warhammer, to spite someone but then also make sure they go to a good home?

PrehistoricUFO
02-05-2013, 23:16
If I wanted to spite a gamer, I'd melt their collection in one big bin and take photos of it as a big pile of goo. Then give it back to them as one solid mass of cooled plastic. That's far more painful imo.

PrehistoricUFO
02-05-2013, 23:28
And the thing you describe as an extra turret for the baneblade is a forgeworld defence turret they no longer make

http://www.ifelix.net/gamingblog/wp-content/img_3472.jpg

That's great, thanks for finding that for me. Woot!

PostinDirty
02-05-2013, 23:30
i think Chemdog's also underestimating the sheer laziness people have when they have to deal with 'stuff'. Inherent value means jack squat if something holds no personal value to you, and you just want to see the **** end of it. I've had several friends offload their Fantasy and 40K armies for dirt cheap simply because they no longer derive any joy from them, and are happier to see them used by someone who actually would. When I recently moved house there was a bunch of stuff I threw and gifted away simply because i could not be boned having to deal with the rigmarole figuring out how to sell it all (not wargaming gear or a directly similar situation, but the general concept still applies)

PrehistoricUFO
02-05-2013, 23:34
i think Chemdog's also underestimating the sheer laziness people have when they have to deal with 'stuff'. Inherent value means jack squat if something holds no personal value to you, and you just want to see the **** end of it. I've had several friends offload their Fantasy and 40K armies for dirt cheap simply because they no longer derive any joy from them, and are happier to see them used by someone who actually would. When I recently moved house there was a bunch of stuff I threw and gifted away simply because i could not be boned having to deal with the rigmarole figuring out how to sell it all (not wargaming gear or a directly similar situation, but the general concept still applies)

When you consider the amount of time it's going to take to really process all this stuff - especially finding people, selling it for reasonable amounts, packing it, shipping it, etc - a lazy person or someone very pressed for time may indeed just give it all away, especially if they are totally bored/grown out of the hobby and the items in question hold very little value or appeal anymore.

Konovalev
03-05-2013, 15:24
If they just wanted to deprive someone of it it would be easier to throw them into an industrial bin somewhere and be done with it, just giving them away means it could be possibly recovered at some date, and be more likely to lead back to the thief.

It does seem a bit odd that someone would be malicious enough to steal several k of warhammer, to spite someone but then also make sure they go to a good home?
Not to press Prehistoric in anyway, but merely because it's an interesting topic to continue down. If it were ME looking to spite someone with a collection like that. I'd also give it away rather than throw it away because giving it away would help soothe my conscience as to what I've just done. There's also the logistics of throwing something like that away. I couldn't sit that amount of stuff on the street corner for garbage collection where live, I'd have to physically take it to the dump. Which being a county/state institution would worry me that I might get questioned, flagged for the police, etc.

As for not asking money, that too would help soothe my conscience in addition to helping meme dodge some potential legal troubles. As far as I know, selling things that don't belong to me would subject me to greater punishment than merely giving them away.

brightblade
03-05-2013, 20:45

I would love them but not sure it would be worth it, cost/reward wise. If there is someone on your side of the pond that fancies them give them to them first. If not come back to me, no rush.

I have been telling my mates about your fortune. There is a lot of dkok/ forge world envy going on! Interestingly from guys who have a lot of fw stuff already. Free stuff has that effect on some! 😜

PrehistoricUFO
04-05-2013, 02:18
I would love them but not sure it would be worth it, cost/reward wise. If there is someone on your side of the pond that fancies them give them to them first. If not come back to me, no rush.

I have been telling my mates about your fortune. There is a lot of dkok/ forge world envy going on! Interestingly from guys who have a lot of fw stuff already. Free stuff has that effect on some! 

Okay well look, I threw them up on eBay, and I'm covering the bulk of whatever shipping costs, worldwide. Basically, 35 CAD for all the items, so like 20 GBP - I've ID'd the Orcs and it looks like 12 go for $30 CAD so I'm giving a pretty hot deal for 25 models. It's on the watch list of several people, if you want it, I'll take it down immediately. If the cost is too high for you, I'm willing to go lower for a fellow Seer. ;)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221222768185?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649 if you care.

That's pretty neat you're telling your buddies, I feel so special. :D

brightblade
05-05-2013, 08:05
Hey hey, don't think I am ungrateful but I have a wife who is shaking her head and pointing at the pile of stuff I have unmade and saying 'do you really need it?' Ha ha ha. Little does she know I am using this month's hobby allowance to try and buy a bonesinger! 😍 There's not one of those in the box, is there? 😜

Thanks for thinking of me you lucky dog! 😝

dreadlord_darkwaters
05-05-2013, 09:54
if your interested in selling some of it. specifically the Death Korps im interested. send me a message or a link to where your selling it. guess chaos smiled upon you that day and made you a daemon prince instead of a spawn.

IncrediSteve
05-05-2013, 10:03
Clearly the boon table roll was 64 - Multiple Rewards :-p

Grok
05-05-2013, 10:17
The most free models I was suppose to get were 2 boxes of Chaos Marines someone bought as a kid and never opened. I say "supposed to get" because 2 days before we were supposed to meet his mom cleaned his room and THREW them to the trash... I will hate her forever...
So yeah, jealousy abound from this post of yours :D

PrehistoricUFO
05-05-2013, 19:43
if your interested in selling some of it. specifically the Death Korps im interested. send me a message or a link to where your selling it. guess chaos smiled upon you that day and made you a daemon prince instead of a spawn.

I mentioned earlier the DKOK stuff was claimed already. I have a friend who's wanted a DKOK army for the longest time but never made the jump, now I sold him an army case for dirt cheap. He was almost in tears.

Luffwaffle
06-05-2013, 02:31
Have you found a home for any of that imperial guard stuff yet?

PrehistoricUFO
06-05-2013, 15:48
@Luffwaffle

At the moment, I am on the fence about whether to liquidate the army or not. It is an impressive force when it is laid out (as the photo shows), and I am finding it hard to resist just keeping the army and having a powerful army at my command. It will need extensive repainting though, as the current level is abysmal and far below my standard.

Luffwaffle
06-05-2013, 21:09
Alright. If you decide to sell it I'm definitely interested in buying some of it.

Gen.Steiner
07-05-2013, 09:59
Oh good gods. I have read this thread with my jaw open and occasional expletives. You are one lucky sod! The tanks alone... good grief! The old 2nd Edition Cadians! Oh god! If you are selling or rationalising the Guard, I am very extremely interested in the 2nd Edition Cadians (metals, look like the Autocannon loaders in the picture posted earlier)...

EDIT: Hehe, 10,000th post!

PrehistoricUFO
07-05-2013, 17:37
Oh good gods. I have read this thread with my jaw open and occasional expletives. You are one lucky sod! The tanks alone... good grief! The old 2nd Edition Cadians! Oh god! If you are selling or rationalising the Guard, I am very extremely interested in the 2nd Edition Cadians (metals, look like the Autocannon loaders in the picture posted earlier)...

EDIT: Hehe, 10,000th post!

Ha ha believe me, I was letting out expletives for about 48 hours straight. It's been a week or so and I'm still in awe when I walk into my hobby room and see all the stuff.

Grats on the 10,000th post! As far as the Cadians go, I'll keep you in mind if I decide to sell the IG - thanks for your interest!

Gen.Steiner
07-05-2013, 23:17
Awe alone doesn't do this justice. Shock and awe, perhaps? :p

Drake118
08-05-2013, 05:08
Have you checked local sherrif's logs to see if any game stores were robbed lately? You might have hot items and therefore shouldn't be posting pics and threads about em...

Luffwaffle
08-05-2013, 05:11
Have you checked local sherrif's logs to see if any game stores were robbed lately? You might have hot items and therefore shouldn't be posting pics and threads about em...
Why would you rob a store and then give it all away for free? Also it's unlikely as this was somebody's collection that they painted and it contains some OOP models. Not new in box stuff like you would find in a game store.

PrehistoricUFO
08-05-2013, 12:01

That's not what happened. Too many OOP items, the other items are either all assembled, partially assembled, and either painted or partially painted/primed. The books date pretty far back and cover a range of editions across several game systems. Inside one of the boxes I found a shipping manifest for all this stuff from the UK. It checks out with his story of his mom sending it to him. I'm gonna go ahead and say this stuff is legit, simply abandoned to me.

tu33y
08-05-2013, 12:48
im just saying.... do something nice for charity or something! this might be a My Name Is Earl moment!

cynic
08-05-2013, 13:55
Amazing! I can't understand why he didn't want to sell them, or take at least some cash for them?!!!

I have the same Ansell sculped dwarf (along with a few other solid base ones), though mine is in far worse condition.

PrehistoricUFO
08-05-2013, 16:58
Amazing! I can't understand why he didn't want to sell them, or take at least some cash for them?!!!

I have the same Ansell sculped dwarf (along with a few other solid base ones), though mine is in far worse condition.

You should try reclaiming it with some simple green. I imagine it's the same-ish pewter that can tolerate stripper.

Ruination Drinker
08-05-2013, 18:43
..Wait, the dude who gave them to you even suggested you sell them?

What is this madness?

PrehistoricUFO
08-05-2013, 20:27
..Wait, the dude who gave them to you even suggested you sell them?

What is this madness?

Where did you get that idea?

Gen.Steiner
10-05-2013, 10:28
I don't think the original owner suggested that; but certainly selling or giving some away would make sense given the sheer volume of stuff. I dread to think how much that cost his mum to post to Canada...!

dreadlord_darkwaters
12-05-2013, 18:10
If your selling any of it give us a link. id be interested in some of the other stuff. (not dwarves though)

PrehistoricUFO
14-05-2013, 17:50
If your selling any of it give us a link. id be interested in some of the other stuff. (not dwarves though)

PM me with what you are interested in then. The majority of it is still available, but the Tomb King army, the Dwarves, the DKOK, and LoTR stuff is gone. I can't give you a 'link' because my eBay account is still very young and I have limits placed on my selling activity until I'm 'established'.

Gen.Steiner
14-05-2013, 23:54
PM sent - hopefully I'll get lucky! :)

Horus38
15-05-2013, 13:01
Hey-o! Always nice to see the loot getting passed around. To all the naysayers, I've seen plenty of people give away large amounts of stuff - both wargaming and non-wargaming. As more details have emerged this one sounds legit.

To the OP: haven't seen any posts regarding the terrain, any of that going up for sale?

-Loki-
15-05-2013, 23:38
Hey-o! Always nice to see the loot getting passed around. To all the naysayers, I've seen plenty of people give away large amounts of stuff - both wargaming and non-wargaming.

Yep. When my friend got out of the hobby with me years ago, he gave his brother a 200pt+ Tau army, 2000pt+ Night Lords army (with the metal conversion kits, lots of bikes and raptors... not cheap) and a 2000pt+ Imperial Fists army. He kept for himself his Black Templars, and his brother gave him for all of that about 500pts of Eldar.

The downside was his brother got out of the hobby after that, and threw those armies in the garbage.