PDA

View Full Version : Best glue for GW foam inserts?

Nilo
01-05-2013, 23:52
Just wondering what is the most successful type of glue to use on GW Figure Case foam inserts? Before I go and make a mess trying to customize 7 cases worth.

Bigglesworth
02-05-2013, 00:09
Just wondering what is the most successful type of glue to use on GW Figure Case foam inserts? Before I go and make a mess trying to customize 7 cases worth.

Using the wrong thing might melt the foam, but I think they are manufactured using a glue gun, or "hot glue" as its known in America. Its ideal since the foam provides ample surface area for it to bond, and insulates the glue meaning it does not cool as fast so you have a longer working time.

noobzor
02-05-2013, 01:36
I concur with bigglesworth. Hot glue is the glue of the gods when it comes to general crafts.

paddyalexander
02-05-2013, 05:50
There is a specific type of hot glue that has a low melting point for working with foam. It will say if it is suitable on the packet. I've used a thin application of No More Nails on similar foam before that worked fine and also used PVA glue but it took a while to dry and hardened the material it soaked into.

Super Glue can cause a reaction with foam that releases noxious fumes and generates enough heat to cause a chemical burn if it the mix gets on your skin.

dancingmonkey
02-05-2013, 08:02
I use Bostick/Evo stick for my KR mods. Works wonders.

alexh
02-05-2013, 11:06
I've had good results with pva in the past.

Hellebore
02-05-2013, 11:30
Basically you need a glue with a gel-consistency. If it's too runny it will simply soak into the foam (as it's basically a sponge). That's why hot glue is really good as it's quite thick so will stay between the bits rather than soaking through them.

I found PVA to be the worse side of ok - it does work, but unless it's really thick it's hard to get it to stay in the gap long enough to dry there.

Hellebore