PDA

View Full Version : Game rage

MrKoolAidMan
27-05-2006, 14:41
what is the most angry/ crazy thing you have ever done due to the effects of the game. An example would be... During a 2v2 battle my friend beat the crap out of his allie with a surge protector because he accidentally blew up his HQ with a scattered ordinace blast than remarked, "ha,ha, looks like my gun battery made their points back." It was hilarious

Latro_
27-05-2006, 15:09
I used to get a bit frustrated an a lil grrr when i was like 15 playing games. Nine years on you realise there are more important things to get worked up about then 2" high toy soliders.

Cornelius
27-05-2006, 16:50
I used to get a bit frustrated an a lil grrr when i was like 15 playing games. Nine years on you realise there are more important things to get worked up about then 2" high toy soliders.

I think you need to reconsider your priorities. There's nothing more important than winning a game of 40K.;)

damz451
27-05-2006, 17:13
i almost punched a kid when when he chucked my custom made archon which was made from 100's or different parts and loads of green stuff T_T, took nearly a month to rebuild her

TeddyC
27-05-2006, 17:13
ha ha! I sawa kid get kicked out when he went ape during a big game because some told him he was being stupid and over estimating the power of his (then) Eldar Dreadnought).

Im glad he went..

zealousheretic
27-05-2006, 17:24
I've seen a grown man reduced to tears by the death of his Wolf Guard terminators.

It was kinda disturbing.

Wraithbored
27-05-2006, 17:55
Well my worst out burst was when my allies Basilisk shot scatterd straight onto my squad of swooping hawks...anihilating them completely. With a raised eyebrow i turned towards and spoke these terrible words "Oi!You're buying me a drink fer that!":D

lord_blackfang
27-05-2006, 17:58
I don't get angry, I get sad.

My buddy yerpo has been known to chuck an occasional die or blast marker at the table tho...

Wraithbored
27-05-2006, 17:59
I don't get angry, I get sad.

My buddy yerpo has been known to chuck an occasional die or blast marker at the table tho...
That and give a severe talking to to his Lascannon guy.:D

McMullet
27-05-2006, 18:34
I once set fire to a skink.

I wasn't really angry though, I did it in quite a calm, psychopathic way.

Tonberry
27-05-2006, 18:38
Once watched painstakingly converted dreadnought diarama get knocked off the edge of a table, fly through the air and shatter upon the floor, my responce was a kind of womanly scream combined with a few select four letter words >.<

Draeven
27-05-2006, 18:45
this was back in 2nd edition days, right after abbadon was released, i had spent 3 days painting him perfectly, and then we played a 4 player game chaos and orcs vs sw and eldar. 2nd turn in after he had got his swooping hawks had of course taken off, he landed them behind abbadon and dropped a vortex grenade on him....needless to say i freaked, tossed some dice said a few choice words, like.."you just dont do that, its like kissing your sister..." etc etc
everyone laughed a good bit, no one was harmed...but man...that ..just sucked lol.

HiredSword.
27-05-2006, 18:53
it's kind of game rage i suppose;

i was playing with my friends empire army in his room when i leanded back and the bowling pin that he had fell onto my head onto his army. He didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

TWB
27-05-2006, 19:05
. . . I did it in quite a calm, psychopathic way.

That you know this means you aren't a Psychopath, it makes you a Sociopath :whydidn'tnickmakeascaredsmiley:

russian
27-05-2006, 19:11
having a noob put a pie plate over one of my newly painted squads took me ages(was ages ago now so they look crud to my new statndatd but thats besides the point) and going brr they all die and using his hand to kncok them over and grind them on the table surface, which is sharp sand not soft ropll mat stuff, that reall really cheesed me off, and resulted in them being chipped to hell, so muh so they i just chucked them ina box when i went to take them home and their sitting in my loft ever since due to fact couldnt be botherd to sit down for that long again to redo them

Galaspar
27-05-2006, 19:24
A good friend of mine stepped out of the store and ceremonialy set fire to his army list in the street after i wiped out his blood angels in a vets game. He did it quite calmly but with a look of utter digust in his eyes. The worst thing is it was a solid list, and there was almost certainly a rules mixup or two in that game, there was no way he should have lost so badly.

Madfool2
27-05-2006, 19:28
It's not me, but somebody was annoyed that i was killing his tyranid army in a game, so he threw a tape measure at my head...and hit a staff member.
That kid has never been seen since.

Latro_
27-05-2006, 19:54
I think there is a common theme in this thread to avoid moments of raging blood lust and your models broken to bits.

Do not play children! heh

MadJackMcJack
27-05-2006, 19:54
I only get angry if someone damages my models on purpose (either in rage or just maliciousness). Gamewise, **** happens, but god help you if you smash up my stuff just because you're having a hissy fit.

Rabid Bunny 666
27-05-2006, 20:00
An old Manager, who is a good bloke, but takes his games too seriously, has been known to throw models onto his dead pile, and mashed a Necromunda figure to a pulp with a Hammer because it lost him the game.

My only example is at home, spent months painting a coverted Tryus figure, olny for hte leg to snap off. I put a tiny dab of super glue to fix it. put the leg onto the hips and saw the superglue run down the leg, destroying the Laquered Black effect i had spent ages on. It duly hit my wardrobe and atomised.

needless to say i freaked, tossed some dice said a few choice words, like.."you just dont do that, its like kissing your sister..."

ROFL!

Str10_hurts
27-05-2006, 20:15
Well not as much as rage, just an empty feeling when for example my dark angels land raider got taken out in turn one by the first IG misslile launcher.

Jep thats lots of money + painting time going, POOF!

Wolf Scout Ewan
27-05-2006, 20:38
Playing an entire game and forgetting about my Wolf Scouts.

They are so sneaky even I forget they are there.

But... grown men and kids reduced to tears by bad dice rolls. Its just a game kids!

HeraldoftheGods
27-05-2006, 20:44
I knew a guy who worked at Warhammer World once who was testing out his high elf tournament army. Nothing went his way and it showed up particularaly badly when a chariot hit a unit and didn't cause a single casualty. Picking up the charriot he handed it to one of the other staff members and asked if they still kept the hammer in the castle.

I've never seen such a big grin on a twenty something bloke than I did watching him bash the snot out of someone elses chariot.

Latro_
27-05-2006, 23:39
come to think about it i did get miffed one game. It was a mission where one unit of troops get placed first.

Mate puts down his unit of 5 dark angel scount
me souped up blood claws in a rhino.

What happend? yep the scouts blew the rhino up first turn with a heavy bolter.

purerockfury
28-05-2006, 01:49
some of these examples are a bit extreme. all i do when i get mad in a game is walk away. i usually get mad at my opponents never at what happens in games. i've come across rules lawyers and rules benders and can't deal with either for too long. i tell my opponent i can't stand playing him anymore and i'm done. pack up my stuff and leave. i'm out to have fun that's why i do and enjoy this hobby so much, cause of how much fun i have. and i'm not going to let nit-picky rules bending idiots ruin it for me.

NaT
28-05-2006, 02:21
I don't think i've ever gotten worked up about a game of 40k. I cheer and punch the air when things go my way, And curse the dice etc when they are not. But its all in the name of fun.

The only time i rage is when my opponet is a jerk. Luckly that that doesn't happen very often.

Gearux
28-05-2006, 02:45
there was this kid at my school who's parents had just bought him $150 of tau models(this is when they first came out) and when he couldn't figure out how to build the devilfish, he glued all the peices together in a giant mess, and then threw it off the table and had a complete melt down (he was like 13 years old too which was wierd). and whats even worse is that he went out and bought another one.

Satan Dingo 420
28-05-2006, 03:02
I don’t generally experience rage to any great degree now that I’m on my meds. But I did tell a kid that if he touched my minis without permission again I would take off one of his fingers.

But I said it calmly.

Captain Optimus Metallus
28-05-2006, 03:19
I don't know about anyone else, but I just find the thought of destroying ones own figs incomprehensible. Then again, I don't have a lot of spare money to be spending on what is an expensive hobby, so I'm naturally a bit more careful with my miniatures. Hell, I'm busy stripping the paint off of 30+ old figures to repaint them as Ultramarines to save money. And even when I damage a model accidentally, like what I did to one of my Predators trying to remove a sponson I'd glued on ages ago to make it easier to paint, I don't go nuts and inflict more damage on it. There may be a chance to salvage the figure, after all.

That having been said, I did flip out once during a game of 2nd edition. I had the Booby Traps Strategy Card, and before the Ork player began moving, I played it on one of his units. He then argued that it couldn't be used yet, while I said it could. The arguing got so heated that I pounded my fist on the table, which unfortunately, sent my prized Land Speeder bouncing up, landing on its back with its plastic stand snapping off. :eek: I was pretty upset about that, given that the point of the plastic stand had broken off in the hold, meaning that any reglueing would never again be sturdy. Suffice to say, I was a wee bit more careful around my figures after that.

Incidentally, there's an old White Dwarf Battle Report featuring a battle between two Eldar armies, and one of the players did the exact same thing that I tried to do in that game, with Jervis Johnson looking on all the while and saying narry a word. Just felt like getting the last word in. ;)

Artemis_Quinn
28-05-2006, 03:40
I personally never got enraged at a game..... sure I've gotten screwed over, and sure I have sort of gotten quiet upset re-thinking my startegy when I start a game good but can't finish it (One time in fantasy I used the screaming bell first turn and made half a guy's army panic off the board, and still managed to lose)

But I have seen rage get pretty bad, like another time when a guy stopped playing after the second turn because I tore up his expensive special character unit by then (they were very combat oriented and not immune to psychology so they freaked and ran with less than 25% models in the unit :D)

I've seen other guys get really upset when a greater daemon pops out really close to their units and just runs through them like nothing (it also helps when you roll a 6 or two for massacre). I still haven't heard the end of how greater daemons in 40K are broken. (I then demoted to a daemon prince and nobody wants to fight that either)

Danny Internets
28-05-2006, 06:24
I saw this guy throw his Falcon across the room once. It almost hit someone in the head.

Jester Boy
28-05-2006, 11:31
Saw a guy say to a terminaly ill kid who blew up his new rhino "atleast I'll live past 18". Bad form.

Ouroboros
28-05-2006, 14:58
The most I ever do is swear in the GW store and that's only when my well laid plans/tactics get ruined multiple times in one turn by nothing other than dice rolls.

Staff don't seem to care either.:confused:

Gethalorre
28-05-2006, 15:30
When we're in the closing stages of a game, and everything is dead, we seem to end up chucking dice. Hard. :evilgrin: In wfb, i did ping a rubber band at my friend's ogres. I knocked three over and one two feet down the table and up a lizardman temple.

ashc
28-05-2006, 17:15
I always think it a bit sad at kids going mental and throwing mini's everywhere; even worse is when adults do it. :rolleyes:

Ash

Galaspar
28-05-2006, 17:49
After posting what a mate was driven to in a fit of game rage, perhaps i should reveal my own guilty secret. It must have been about 10 years ago when i was young and hormonally charged, under second ed rules. I was playing a huge multiplayer rumble on someone's living room floor, and amongst my ork and chaos army was a looted baneblade, scratchbuilt quite badly from card and leman russ spares and using citadel journal rules. One opponent in particular took objection at me fielding this monstrosity, and plonked down an ancient and valuable model of the millenium falcon, for which he made up rules as he went along. After watching the beast vaporise 3 rhinos in a single turn, i went beserk, and threw a codex book at it. This was a chunky 2nd ed book, and i threw it spine down, breaking the turret off his cherished toy. Needless to say, this game ended in a fist fight. Not proud.

boogle
28-05-2006, 17:56
back seat gamers are the only thing that irks me these days, however i rarely play in places when backstreet gamers are a factor, so they bother me less and less these days

noneedforaname
28-05-2006, 18:43
its strange but i don't really seem to get game rage and neihter do most of the guy's i game against. most of us seem to be solid tacticians and therefore all weirdness is dice generated and trust me things can get quite strange. Usually ends up with grown men making sound effects that are quite inappropriate around children and nearly wetting ourselves laughing. Yes we are competitive but we play to have a laugh, lifes too short.

Corporal Punishment
28-05-2006, 23:09
I usually curse a lot when my dice refuse to cooperate and also curse the damned Space Marine list. Besides that I don't feel like destroying my own stuff. I spend too much time on it to smash it to bits.

cailus
28-05-2006, 23:19
During gameplay I usually just get pi$$ed off when my luck fails miserably. Afterwards I just complain bitterly how the rules are broken and it's all cheesy! My unlickiest unit ever, a 10 man Assault Marine squad, was so unlucky they were retired for nearly a year because I could not bare to look at them for a year. I have resurrected them though and repainted their bases. They are still unlucky but not as bad as before.

As for people touching my models, they have to ask first.

unclejimbo827
29-05-2006, 02:31
There was one time when I was maybe 12 or so. My first game with my DA army. Azrael gets slaughtered by a squad of marines. So I promptly chuck him out the door.

tuebor
29-05-2006, 02:56
I've only ever heard of one person who would get upset if he was losing, but he'd left that store before I moved to that area. I guess I'm kinda surprised that this many people here get so irrationally enraged over a game.

bluebugs
29-05-2006, 04:09
I've been known to give my opponet a rageful look as I toss a die or two behind me and say something like "these must be cursed". The only time I've ever really gotten <i>angry</i> is in fantasy when my 2 buds; dark elves and chaos teamed up just for fun against my lizardmen. In one turn the chaos Khorne warroirs along with the dark elve's good shooting took out about 3/4 of my army. The only thing that pissed me off as how hard one of them was laughing and calling my army weak. I said "you can't really feel good about that win it wasn't even legal, it was just for fun." and he responded "yes I can" ..... A few good skinks died that night and have never been seen again.

Luna de hierro
29-05-2006, 07:02
I had this big surprise for a friend, spend a week painting some hard ass chosen for my Slaneesh army with power fists and power weapons and in the middle of the game they came out of the Land raider, assaulted his lines of IG, threw 54278436498 dices and all i got was results of 1 and 2... even more stupid... the IG fights back (using the same dices) and killed half of them in hand to hand combat... then i threw the dices a mile away and asked im if i could use his. :mad:

The Dude
29-05-2006, 07:25
back seat gamers are the only thing that irks me these days, however i rarely play in places when backstreet gamers are a factor, so they bother me less and less these days

I'm right there with you man.

I was at Conflict last year with a mate and we borrowed 2 store armies for a quick game. Neither of us were quite up with the 4th ed rules but we were having fun. On no less than 3 occasions did the same guy pipe up with rules clarifications (which weren't really that clear) and advice. In the end we just said, Look, we're just gonna play it OUR way, okay! and he sidled off.

That and the picking up of my Minis without permission craps me off.

During the same game there would have been about 4 or 5 instances of people coming up MID-GAME and picking up minis and scenery that were IN PLAY. I mean COME ON!!! I've really come to expect this kind of behavior though, to the point that I was at GW the other week and almost wept when this one guy actually DID ask for permission before picking one up.

Wolf Sgt Kirke
29-05-2006, 07:59
Don't tend to physically vent my rage but I do make some stupendously dumb moves tactically, I lost a Ven.Dread to a C'tan once so I proceeded to ignore all the other necrons for the rest of the game and charge, not shoot, charge everything in my army at the C'tan (even my long fangs) needless to say that I lost but I still do dumb stuff like that on a regular basis.

I have such a hatred for Warp Spiders from 2nd Ed that Even from before the start of the game if I see them in my opponents case I'll forget about the rest of his army and start thinking off ways to hunt them down, needless to say I lose games with Warp Spiders in!

God DAMN, I hate those frikking alien motherDrokkin fethwipe coward warp jump freakazoids!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm in a rage just thinking about them!

Zanusiekk
29-05-2006, 08:37
I don't think I have experienced much in the way of gaming rage, besides the occasional unconditional surrender and refusal to play another game if I play too badly to even find it fun (it happened like, once, in Battletech 3d ed).

Painting rage, on the other hand, is a different matter, not to mention the profanities I utter over disobedient globs of green stuff :(

Unseeing Eye
29-05-2006, 09:21
I'm right there with you man.

I was at Conflict last year with a mate and we borrowed 2 store armies for a quick game. Neither of us were quite up with the 4th ed rules but we were having fun. On no less than 3 occasions did the same guy pipe up with rules clarifications (which weren't really that clear) and advice. In the end we just said, Look, we're just gonna play it OUR way, okay! and he sidled off.

That and the picking up of my Minis without permission craps me off.

During the same game there would have been about 4 or 5 instances of people coming up MID-GAME and picking up minis and scenery that were IN PLAY. I mean COME ON!!! I've really come to expect this kind of behavior though, to the point that I was at GW the other week and almost wept when this one guy actually DID ask for permission before picking one up.

People picking up minis without asking is bad form and backseat gamers who say things like "You should've moved them there" irk me, but I really don't see any problem with somebody giving a few clarifications with rules, even if unasked.

The boyz
29-05-2006, 09:35
I dont really get angry or have fits of rage when I am playing. I know a thew people who used to get pretty angry and start swearing and stuff if things where not going right for them. But you just have to take the rough with the smooth really.
I have had my prized models that I have spent ages painting, dropped when somebody went to pick them up, then stood on. But accidents do happen and I have dropped other peoples prized miniatures before, it does happen. So I dont tend to get angry, I just get a bit sad.

ss_cherubael
29-05-2006, 11:51
I have a friend that has a rage quitting problem even when hes about to win????????????

he is also known to cry if you kill something that he thinks is the only way of him winning (such as a ten man assault squad that got unlucky with a battle cannon round).

Another thing that really isnt rage, i have a friend who games with me and also does medieval reanactment with me, if we have lost to one another in a 40k game that week we beat the gak out of each other on the tourney field, so far it has resulted in some very large black and purple bruises.

Steel_Legion
29-05-2006, 12:31
i guy i knew got sick of loosing with his tau, so in a tantrum threw the army on the floor, breaking half them, and stormed off!

primarch16
29-05-2006, 13:10
Well, I cant say I've ever really been gone phsyco angry mode but I've certainly been angry, especially when I play stupid cheating little kids, but normally that doesnt last to long, after about turn three I just say I'm sick of playing you, and pack my stuff and go. When nothing goes my way I generally just tend to laugh it away (whilst I die inside :() Such as the time when I had my power fist seargant attack a carnifex with two wounds left, two hit, and guess what, snake eyes... :rolleyes:

Doctor Gonzo
29-05-2006, 13:18
me and my mates have ahd to introduce a house rule when playing blood bowl; if you go 2 clear touhdowns ahead, you win. Before this, a particular individual who will remain nameless flipped the pitch when sufferring a heavy defeat one too many times... thank god I only use the crappy plastic humans from the box....

Typheron
29-05-2006, 13:29
i once glued a death company marine to my head due to anger and frustration.

the super glue i has was a bit poor, so his arms would not hold in place no matter what i did, so afvter about the 10th timeof them falling off i slammed my hands and head down on the table in anguish.

the superglue worked well against skin.

said deathcompany marine got jumped on for that one, although i did re-build him later with "battle damage"

Kymar
29-05-2006, 13:37
The worst I've ever personally done was years ago when I was about 14 years old. At a sleepover at a friends house, I had just played in a giant 4 way 3000 point game that was played on the floor and didn't end till about 4 am. I lost baddly and was particually angry at a predator tank that had taken out most of my army and it just wouldn't die. I don't remember the exact reason, but I started ranting about how much I hated that tanked and ended up stomping my foot down on it.

Did I mention that it was a Chaos Predator?

To this day, I think I still have little spikes stuck in my foot. :wtf:

PS- Soon later, my wraithlord was *accidentally* smashed into a concrete floor, so I'd say me and that guy are even.

Forgotmytea
29-05-2006, 13:48
I can't say I've ever assaulted either my or someone else's models - I treasure minis too much! I just tend to either:

a) Blame the Dice Gods
b) Pretend to weep, then suddenly stand up and say, "ok, let's continue" :)
c) Laugh hysterically.

Though as some people have said, people need permission to touch my models :D. I've very proud of some of them, as well as rarely buying any new ones due to price restraints. But, if anyone did anything to my Tinboys (perfect collection, all 3!! I love those models :)) or my Gorkamorka/Inquisitor warbands, to be honest I probably would go psycho :evilgrin:

-Forgotmytea

Bookwrak
29-05-2006, 14:31
Saw a guy say to a terminaly ill kid who blew up his new rhino "atleast I'll live past 18". Bad form.

As a tournament judge, I would give any nearby player who then beat the crap out of him with a surge protector a full sportsmanship score.

MrKoolAidMan
29-05-2006, 17:25
I've read it a few times in this thread what exactly is a "backstreet" gammer

Forgotmytea
29-05-2006, 21:53
I've read it a few times in this thread what exactly is a "backstreet" gammer
Let me enlighten you....

*Proceeds to get it wrong* :D

A backseat gamer is someone who is not actually playing in the game, but endlessly (well, it often seems like endlessly!) offering advice, such as "move the leman russ behind the woods" "charge his possessed with your swooping hawks" :eyebrows: "if I were you, I'd fire on the monolith, not the pariahs" and other such 'advice', trying to run the game for you and dictate what you should do. Rather similar to a backseat driver... :p

-Forgotmytea

russian
29-05-2006, 22:04
though there is a bit of differance between someoen offering advice(normally to a new player) and someone backseat gaming

lol @ backstreet gamer i gotta tag that

Hortwerth
29-05-2006, 22:16
I once freaked out and literally ran out of the gaming room and even from the building as Ork Fighta-bommaz bombed a drifting hulk of an Ork Battleship floating in the middle of my Imperial fleet, causing a warp drive implosion.

I ran out after the guy rolled only 5's and 6's for 3 of my cruisers.

After a smoke I returned and proceeded to give Brace for Impact to every single ship in my fleet...

cav da man
29-05-2006, 22:43
i once glued a death company marine to my head due to anger and frustration.

the super glue i has was a bit poor, so his arms would not hold in place no matter what i did, so afvter about the 10th timeof them falling off i slammed my hands and head down on the table in anguish.

the superglue worked well against skin.

said deathcompany marine got jumped on for that one, although i did re-build him later with "battle damage"

thats because superglue was originally designed for use on skin as a way to shut wounds, unfortunately i wouldnt recomend that but it is good at sticking skin to things(anybody who has glued their fingers together and lets face it everybody does as some point will see this).

grg3d
29-05-2006, 23:20
I went to a games day event in Maryland a few years back and we get their early (like a day before) and went to a local game store where I saw the most beautiful painted Elder Army and was talking to this guy and he told me he was entering the golden demon and GT that they were having and asked the STORE owner if he wanted to play a game of 40K.
Well the store owner was loosing really bad so when he had to take a LD test he used really BIG dice (the face was like 2” across) and rolled them into this guys Army like he was bowling for dollars knocking over and breaking some pieces, my jaw fell to the floor as I just could not believe what this guy did (BTY his army looked like it was dipped it testers paint or he had used a 2x4 to paint them with) the guy who’s elder army just got smashed went white didn’t say a word picked up his army and left…..I don’t suffer from rage very often but if that had been my Army….I would have stuffed his dice up his…..

warboss48
30-05-2006, 14:09
i haven't suffered from game rage yet as the people in the club i go to are good guys. but if someone purposely smashed or otherwise damaged one of my models that i had spent much money and time on, well, it wouldn't be pretty.

Crube
30-05-2006, 14:44
Many moons ago (when I was about 14) i kicked the bloodbowl pitch over in a fit of temper - cos i didnt know the rules for 4-way play and no one would tell me...

I've matured a little now...

Jedi152
30-05-2006, 14:46
I'm glad my undead didn't beat you that night ... :D

I've seen someone pick up the old Marauder metal giant and fling it across the room in a fit of rage. Suffice to say it didn't fare too well.

Beef
30-05-2006, 15:05
I never rage. I was having a problem with a particularly large bully in our store. He was pitching a fit because I was winning, and starting making fun of the way I talked, as if I was being sarcastic or something. He was using that terrible voice like I was deaf or handicapped.

I extended my hand, said "You know what pal? You win. I concede."

He was a bit flabbergasted, made apologies etc. I took off my jacket, asked him if he was ready. He says "Ready for what?"

Now, he's a big guy. 300 plus pounds, but not really an in shape man. I'm about 150 pounds, but I bench over 300 pounds, and can military press 185 for sets. I work out every day, run, bike and practice Aikido. I'm mean, work in a bar, deal with humanity. Gnerally, I'm the most affable dude in the world, very hard to tick off.

I say "The game is over man, but you just basically called me a retard, doing that little voice. I personally feel indignant, but I'm more ticked about the way you use handicapped people's disabilities to insult others. I'm asking if you're ready to go outside, and I'm gonna show you what it's like big guy."

He refused my invitation. Several other guys in the store stood up too, backed me up.

He didn't come to the store in over a year man. Even then, the old timers looked at him with disgust. That's as close to rage as I got.

Griffin
30-05-2006, 15:36
Remind me never to **** you off.

Crube
30-05-2006, 15:39
I'm glad my undead didn't beat you that night ... :D

it only happened once... and none of the models were painted (except 4 of mine)...

ashc
30-05-2006, 15:58
thats because superglue was originally designed for use on skin as a way to shut wounds, unfortunately i wouldnt recomend that but it is good at sticking skin to things(anybody who has glued their fingers together and lets face it everybody does as some point will see this).

Its because water acts as a good nucleophile in the polymerisation reaction, and as we have traces of water all over our skin superglue really does enjoy sticking more to us than our lovely dry metals. :D

Theres also a certain amount of toxicity involved when removing superglue from human tissue, but i won't go into that...

Ash

me_meza
30-05-2006, 16:31
well, you can't call this "gaming" rage, but this guy at my club wanted to prove that his superglue was waay better than anything we used, so he picked up one of his space wolves (a metal figure, i can't remember which) and thew at at the wall, most of the figure was inside the wall, exept the arm, that went towards this poor kid, that had nothing to do with it, he was just passing through, and hit right besides the eye. He then went downstairs and bought a coke and a sandwich for the kid.

oh, and gaming rage, me and a pal were playing Mordheim, on a battlemat that would move if you dragged it, and this stupid, little kid, that everybody love to hate, comes in and spot one of my pals minis. It had taken two whole days of work to finish. Mid-game, the kid bends over the entire table and try to pick up that mini. He shouldn't have done that, and while i try to push the guy back (as we dont like our models picked up mid-game without permission) my friend sweeps his legs out from underneath him, and to avoid falling, he grabs the mat, which skate down from the table, with figures and terrain and everything.. needless to say, my friend was nearly crying when he discovered his beautifully painted model in two and chips all over.

\/yper
30-05-2006, 21:03
I witnessed a kid pick up his Vindicator, after it deviated for the 4th time in a row, this time onto his own troops, and chuck it at the wall (concrete). After that, he turns to all of us in the gaming group, and informs us that anyone that wants it can pick up the peices. He left, and didnt come back for about 2 weeks.

It was quite entertaining.

-Vyper

Spell_of_Destruction
30-05-2006, 22:13
When I first started playing 40k in '97 we used to play a lot of three or four way battles. These very rarely progressed past the first couple of turns due to the massive arguments that I and my angry teenage friends would get into.

On one memorable occasion two of my friends argued for close to an hour about whether a shot from a CSM missile launcher was at -1 or -2 to hit a Blood Angels landspeeder. The Blood Angels player told the CSM player to go ahead and roll with the -1 to "see what would happen". Inevitably the CSM player got the exact roll that was needed to hit and proceeded to blow up the landspeeder. This started up the argument again. In a fit of rage the Blood Angels player screamed "Fine!' ,picked up a wad marines and threw them to the floor breaking some of them into several pieces. To put the icing on the cake he then began to sob. There was a deathly silence in that room for at least half an hour (apart from the sound of my friend trying to choke back his tears as he tried to reassemble his shattered marines).

highmarshaldave
30-05-2006, 23:22
Gaming rage eh? Well now. . .

Was once playing a mega battle at school, couple o' years ago now. One of the opponents was using speed freekz, with the obligatory fighta-bomba raid. Both my allies got off scot-free, while I took casualties in almost every unit, got half my army pinned and had most of my armoured assault column stunned. Lets just say the tape measure got it. . . good style.

Dave out.

Wolf Sgt Kirke
31-05-2006, 07:21
Its because water acts as a good nucleophile in the polymerisation reaction, and as we have traces of water all over our skin superglue really does enjoy sticking more to us than our lovely dry metals. :D
Theres also a certain amount of toxicity involved when removing superglue from human tissue, but i won't go into that...
Ash

Dude, you know to much stuff (kinda cool though;) )

ashc
31-05-2006, 09:03
Dude, you know to much stuff (kinda cool though;) )

Yep, thats what i get for doing a degree in colour and polymer chemistry :D

Ash

Revlid
31-05-2006, 09:12
When extremely bad stuff happens I tend to vent it theatrically; a really overdramatic skywalker-style: "NOOOOOOOOOO!" Accompanies any rolls of boxcars on Ld tests, etc.
A string of really bad stuff sometimes triggers hysterical giggles, but that's the worst of it.
What I don't like is people touching my models without permission. That ticks me off.

Cheitan Shadowless
31-05-2006, 09:32
I'm your average passive-aggressive, so I never do anything crazy during a game. I just quietly plot the inevitable destruction of my opponent. And his kin. And their homesteads. And any records that mention any of these. :evilgrin:

Once, at a tournament, I witnessed a guy get an epileptic seizure during a game - he was sitting down, so he just started cramping in his seat and then promptly flopped onto the table, flailing most of the models off the table. That was pretty tragic, both because he had a seizure and couldn't participate in the rest of that tournament, and because his hapless adversary had half his army broken to pieces. It was a bit terrifying, altogether.

Slightly unrelated story perhaps. Oh well.

Aegius
31-05-2006, 09:32
I don't normally get gaming rage, unless I imbibed in a few too many beers the night before, then I get a bit surly.

Kymar
31-05-2006, 12:33
Ah! The joys and sorrows of Drunk'Hammer.

bladestalker
31-05-2006, 14:10
I experiences a bit of 'in game' rage. back in teh early 90's my elf army was on a loosing streak and our local GW store in vancouver had a lot of high point drop in games. I had some time off and being a nice fellow agreed to play a 4 way game with the local pre teen idiot on my side. he took all his points in a high level grifin rider/dragon something or other. and preceeded first turn to do everything wrong providing me no support whatsoever. The more and more troops I lost the more frustrated I got, especially as I was facing undead, a nice surgical strike on the skull chuckers would have made my life so much easier. Anyways after an hour or so on increasing losses on my part and useless skirmishing by this damn dragon/wyvrn? i asked the ref I I could just take out my ally. he agreed and a quick volley did the deed. after that I was much more satidfied as I lost the game by a small margin but due to my own tactics not this mutton head's.

Sildani
31-05-2006, 14:25
Yep, thats what i get for doing a degree in colour and polymer chemistry :D

Ash

So, are you saying that moistening the metal parts will improve the bond?

ashc
31-05-2006, 14:27
So, are you saying that moistening the metal parts will improve the bond?

Actually i have tried that; Trouble is you only want a small amount (as in the TINIEST) amount of water where the joint would be, otherwise the water just sets off a chain reaction but doesnt actually use all of itself up; you end with a bit of a blobby sticky mess! I havent tried using a v small amount though; perhaps slightly licking the area you are trying to glue may work, or lightly blowing on the superglue (moisture in your breath.)

Ash

High Marshal Trenth
31-05-2006, 19:46
I tend to throw things such as my land raider or dice. Wenerver my dice roll bad I accuse them of heresy and chuck them clear accrose the room. For the land raider, wenever it is destroyed I throw it at the floor 8)

I also like to hit my opponent 8P they usually know im playing so that never goes to far. Though my friend did hit me pretty hard in the stomuch for destroying his carnifex with my lone hunter killer missle 8P

Wolf Sgt Kirke
01-06-2006, 07:32
{Snip}Trouble is you only want a small amount (as in the TINIEST) amount of water where the joint would be (moisture in your breath.)
{SNIP}
Ash

What about a humidifier in the vicinity of the models or wiping the area to be glue on a damp(ish) cloth or sponge, or scoring the area before hand so the water will stay in the scored part? would all these involve too much water?
Interested as models that won't stick are nearly as annoying as girlfriends

ashc
01-06-2006, 09:09
What about a humidifier in the vicinity of the models or wiping the area to be glue on a damp(ish) cloth or sponge, or scoring the area before hand so the water will stay in the scored part? would all these involve too much water?
Interested as models that won't stick are nearly as annoying as girlfriends

There is a good possibility it would work; the trick is to not oversaturate the area with water (it bonds well to our skin and we are not exactly soaking wet are we?)

my suggestion is just to experiment a couple of times with it; ive just finished an army so have nothing to experiment on :p

Ash

Wolf Sgt Kirke
01-06-2006, 09:14
Cheers dude, I'm so sick of models that don't seem to want their arms stuck on, the wannabe freaks!

ashc
01-06-2006, 09:20
Well the alternative is to move up a gear and start using epoxy resins or araldite; that stuff is so heavy duty its what they use to attach aeroplane wings to the fuselage! :chrome:

Ash

Wolf Sgt Kirke
01-06-2006, 09:50
I use that stuff at work, but it's to much bother for at home and i find that superglues sticks quicker (when it does stick) besides i'd rather stick my fingers together with crappy glue than araldite or threadlock! OW!

Crube
01-06-2006, 09:58
Actually i have tried that; Trouble is you only want a small amount (as in the TINIEST) amount of water where the joint would be, otherwise the water just sets off a chain reaction but doesnt actually use all of itself up; you end with a bit of a blobby sticky mess! I havent tried using a v small amount though; perhaps slightly licking the area you are trying to glue may work, or lightly blowing on the superglue (moisture in your breath.)

Ash

So that's why blowing on the glue works... cool - I was doing something right :D

ashc
01-06-2006, 09:59
So that's why blowing on the glue works... cool - I was doing something right :D

Crube hits the nail on the head :D

Ash

Griffin
01-06-2006, 10:02
Who would have thought we have ev0l scientists in our midst

ashc
01-06-2006, 10:48
hey im not that evil!

*runs off to disengage nuclear bomb* :chrome:

Ash

Overlord Krycis
01-06-2006, 11:02
A couple of months ago I was playing at this little gaming club run by a friend of mine.
I was playing my Black Legion with my newly converted daemon prince, with wings a whacking great big sword and really good paint job. It was his first battle and I was playing against a 30-something man playing Imperial Guard.
My daemon prince got into combat really early and almost single handedly annihilated his army...(mostly luck I think).
Well...after killing his super-hq he duly picked up the daemon prince and threw it at the opposing wall....where it basically exploded...and he proceded to grin like an idiot and said "thats better..."

It took three friends to hold me back and I'm normally not violent.

Yarick Zan
01-06-2006, 11:06
right me i can understand destroying my own models. somone elses? no way. thats like blasphemy. why do people think they can destroy the other persons models? if somone destroyed my models id do the following;

1. present them a bill for the model, depending on the state may be more than listed price (ie a finished, painted, and converted model = big money)
2. hold the opposing army hostage with a sledge hammer until i get paid.
3. maybe kick the person in the face for being a *****.

oh and a note on the glue conversation, does anyone else from america remember crazy glue? yea the stuff that can make your fingers bond together. anyways thats what i use to bond my models (the plastic anyways) and have never had a time when it didnt bond together. maybe you should spend a few dollars and get a glue that hardens within 2 minutes like crazy glue.

Overlord Krycis
01-06-2006, 11:30
I actually use the super glue supplied by Games Workshop...
Its pretty good as its Cyanoacrylate based...Basically it bonds anything...in seconds...I love having done Chemistry at Uni...:D
As for holding the army hostage with a hammer....it would much rather just kick the guy...many times...with steel-toed boots...

Wolf Sgt Kirke
01-06-2006, 11:33
Plastics glue really easy with poly cement dude, but cheers for the tip, it's metal to metal thats the problem! I think the weight is usually the problem but I reckon our resident mad scientist Ash will know more! It could be I'm just to lazy to pin things:p

ashc
01-06-2006, 11:34
Plastics glue really easy with poly cement dude, but cheers for the tip, it's metal to metal thats the problem! I think the weight is usually the problem but I reckon our resident mad scientist Ash will now more! It could be I'm just to lazy to pin things:p

Oooh I feel a sig addition coming on Wolf Sgt. Kirke! :D

Ash

Wolf Sgt Kirke
01-06-2006, 11:48
Oooh I feel a sig addition coming on Wolf Sgt. Kirke! :D

Ash

Fairs fair hombre, I'm a squaddie, a welshman, a technician, a geek and from that lofty vantage point you impressed me with your Crazy Evil Scientistiness:evilgrin:

Oh...........hooray, someone put something I said in a sig!:D Get in!

{Scientistiness should be a word!}

ashc
01-06-2006, 12:23
oh and a note on the glue conversation, does anyone else from america remember crazy glue? yea the stuff that can make your fingers bond together. anyways thats what i use to bond my models (the plastic anyways) and have never had a time when it didnt bond together. maybe you should spend a few dollars and get a glue that hardens within 2 minutes like crazy glue.

Crazy glue actually uses the same sort of cyanoacrylate base reaction as super glue anyway, so no wonder it does well :)

Ash

Wolf Sgt Kirke
01-06-2006, 12:45
Without a doubt you are King science guy

I cant even say that cyanothingy and thought i was fairly intelligent, i am in awe and also a little intimidated by your uber scientistiness (if i type it enough it will be a word!)

On a similar topic, what chemicals can i use to make my green stuff easier to work, little cement plastisicer if you know what i mean, at the mo my green stuff is to tacky.

Hang on, we've hijacked this thread

Cheese it before the feds get us!

*Runs like a muthahubbard*

ashc
01-06-2006, 12:53
In what way tacky? are you using plenty of water when sculpting?

Just to get this thread back on the rails as it were :D I have a friend who doesnt as much suffer Game Rage but Game Strop, he can't take losing and its gotten so bad he doesnt like/want to play just in case he loses :eyebrows:

Ash

Wolf Sgt Kirke
01-06-2006, 13:00
Yeah, i use water, but it just seems to make the green stuff not adhere to the model, which i can understand, what i was asking for was if i can use something to thin it a little like to a more plasticine consistency or window putty type thickness.. softer as opposed to so lumpen, i think!

By the by, i used to play an eldar player, who would cheat more and more as the game progressed (especially if he started to lose) so much so that i had to buy a copy of the eldar codex and sit with it open on my side of the table (waaaay back in 2nd ed).

warboss48
01-06-2006, 13:08
A couple of months ago I was playing at this little gaming club run by a friend of mine.
I was playing my Black Legion with my newly converted daemon prince, with wings a whacking great big sword and really good paint job. It was his first battle and I was playing against a 30-something man playing Imperial Guard.
My daemon prince got into combat really early and almost single handedly annihilated his army...(mostly luck I think).
Well...after killing his super-hq he duly picked up the daemon prince and threw it at the opposing wall....where it basically exploded...and he proceded to grin like an idiot and said "thats better..."

It took three friends to hold me back and I'm normally not violent.

excuse my language but... that guys a ********. you should of picked up his two most expensive models and smashed them together. that would of showed him.:evilgrin:

ashc
01-06-2006, 13:13
Yeah, i use water, but it just seems to make the green stuff not adhere to the model, which i can understand, what i was asking for was if i can use something to thin it a little like to a more plasticine consistency or window putty type thickness.. softer as opposed to so lumpen, i think!

well green stuff (as far as i can tell; distrubingly gw havent actually put what it *is* on the packet :eyebrows:) is a generic epoxy based resin. When the epoxy is mixed with the catalyst (blue meets yellow), the resulting reaction is exothermic and as this occurs throughout the epoxy, a matrix is formed which has a very high stress tolerance and is what "glues" the materials together. Water delays the reaction, stopping it from hardening. as for making it even softer i really cant think of anything off the top of my head that would soften the greenstuff further without it altering the polymerisation process (and probably turning your green stuff into something more like blue-tac than resin :()

Ash

warboss48
01-06-2006, 15:42
ashc-you now to much!
i just hope you dont use that knoweledge for world domination. and take the spot light off my plan:chrome:

Wolf Sgt Kirke
02-06-2006, 07:15
Warboss48 you will have to hurry with the world domination as i think Ash has already spotted my "green stuff" question as an obvious delaying tactic to slow him down in his nefarious doings, we will all have to be on our guard.

All gamers stay on the look out for unusual goings on in glue pots near you, as I would stake my reputation
*what reputation? <whistling slap> shut up igor*
on Ash plotting to use our glues against us in some evil science kinda way:eek: !

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED - Ash = Glueman! Newest Supervillian on the block:evilgrin: (DUNDUNDUHHH!)

Overlord Krycis
02-06-2006, 10:27
well green stuff (as far as i can tell; distrubingly gw havent actually put what it *is* on the packet :eyebrows:) is a generic epoxy based resin. When the epoxy is mixed with the catalyst (blue meets yellow), the resulting reaction is exothermic and as this occurs throughout the epoxy, a matrix is formed which has a very high stress tolerance and is what "glues" the materials together. Water delays the reaction, stopping it from hardening. as for making it even softer i really cant think of anything off the top of my head that would soften the greenstuff further without it altering the polymerisation process (and probably turning your green stuff into something more like blue-tac than resin :()

Ash

Ah....its nice to see that there are fellow scientist on this forum...:evilgrin:
I again re-iterate...I love Chemistry...

WarbossKurgan
02-06-2006, 10:31
What does a microwave do to greenstuff?

I've heard of people freezing pre-mixed GS to use later, but I've tried it and it reduces the stickyness when it's thawed.

highmarshaldave
02-06-2006, 10:47
Ah....its nice to see that there are fellow scientist on this forum...:evilgrin:
I again re-iterate...I love Chemistry...

Ach, everyone loves chemistry! I love it so much I study it too!!!

Btw, can someone please force this thread back on topic?

Dave out.

Quin 242
02-06-2006, 10:51
i almost punched a kid when when he chucked my custom made archon which was made from 100's or different parts and loads of green stuff T_T, took nearly a month to rebuild her

Only Almost? In a game an opponent can do whatever they want... whine, bitch, complain, rules lawyer whatever.. but if they mess with something that I lovingly put together and painted? It's over. I will get my frustration out on them...
It's just bad form to mess with other players models... I won't even touch without permission.

Epicenter
02-06-2006, 10:51

Apologies to everyone on this thread for highjacking it, just thought I'd rear my ugly head in here from the P&T board where I usually am to answer a question:

The secret (I kid you not) is in the Blue and the Green.

Always cut out the part where the blue and the green meet on a roll. There's often points that are cured or semi-cured in there, which is a PITA to work with and will ruin the consistency of your GS "clay."

If you want a softer Green Stuff that's easier to work with and cures more slowly, don't go 50/50. Use more of the yellow than the blue. This will give you a tackier, softer, and slower curing GS. You can overcome the tackiness with water. This is good for surface detail on a mini.

If you want a harder, faster curing GS mix, use more blue than yellow. This will give you a more 'carvable' GS - good for building up limbs and other base work on a mini.

Iron Lord
02-06-2006, 16:56
I had a kid thow a screaming fit at a 2nd ed tournement after I repreatedly caught him "misundertanding" the rules for his Broke Templar list, then handing him his butt. The clincher came when he rushed his tooled up command squad into my HQ, jumped out into CC and I had to point out that there was no way in hell he could have 3 independant characters joined to his squad and stuffed into a rhino.

The staff referee called him on it as well, and forced him to remove the models in violation. His "uberkilly" CC squad was now severely toned down, and promptly got their butts handed to them. The kid proceeded to throw dice, scream and cry. He also gave me a 0 for sportsmanship, since I was a "cheating d***head" for calling him out on his cheating.

Fortunately the staff dropped his score, and he was eventually ejected, since his next two opponents refused to play against him. :D

||-MARKO-||
02-06-2006, 17:09
heh heh heh. ive seen someone go red because someone destroyed a land raider in the first turn. ive also seen the same person smash the same land raider on a wall a few second slater, stomp out and forget to come back for his minis!

warboss48
02-06-2006, 17:13
heh heh heh. ive seen someone go red because someone destroyed a land raider in the first turn. ive also seen the same person smash the same land raider on a wall a few second slater, stomp out and forget to come back for his minis!

i hope you never stole any;)

shveen
02-06-2006, 18:49
Beef scares me

shveen

shveen
02-06-2006, 18:59
Picture this: Young player comes up to me in GW and asks me if i want a 500point game. I say yes we agree on just one HQ. He then goes and brings out Marnues Calgar and his crappy honour guard. I take a tooled up command unit some storm troopers and a russ. Turn one and my battle cannon kills everything but Calgar. My infiltarting storm troopers then vaporise Calgar. He starts crying and says i cheat and grabs my Beautifully converted commnad squad and steps on them. With a booted foot. His dad comes along and gives me a look that would freeze lava and takes his precious boy out. I was soooooooooooooo P***** off that I took his Calgar and jumped up and down on it.

shveen

warboss48
02-06-2006, 19:01
Beef scares me

shveen

this can only be summed up in only one way::wtf:

RampagingRavener
02-06-2006, 20:15
I was soooooooooooooo P***** off that I took his Calgar and jumped up and down on it.

I'm not afraid to say the mental image of that made me laugh. A lot. :D

I used to game against my Brother quite a bit while I started out the hobby. His grasp of tactics was...less than desirable. Usually he'd only actually game against me when he was able to add a land raider to his army...for free. And be able to re-roll some dice in-game. Even so, he still lost a lot, and tended to get rather upset when he did. Many times he tried to break my models, including once kicking my Hive Tyrant, which I had spent hours on-at the age of 11, that was perhaps one of my most cherished possessions...

I don't game against him any more.

||-MARKO-||
06-06-2006, 19:18
i hope you never stole any;)

nope. too proud of my own, and ive never stole a thing in my entire life...
funny bit was, it turns out the staff have still got it in a cupboard after about 1.5 years!

EDIT: im pruod of mine despite them being ****. btw, my blood angels dont count, the paintwork looks like **** on my digi camera