PDA

View Full Version : Length of commute to GW or FLGS

Gossipmeng
02-05-2013, 16:40
I was actually just randomly on google maps and realized I have 5 GW locations within a 45 min drive of where I live and that isn't even counting other independent game stores :eek:. I usually take the bus/subway to my preferred locations and it takes about 25-30 mins. I prefer to go after work as it is a pretty relaxed time of day where there are maybe 2 people painting and 2-3 more having a game at one of the tables.

I was curious as to how long it takes some of you to travel to your hobby hot spot and maybe what is the longest you have ever traveled to get your gaming fix.

Ssilmath
02-05-2013, 16:44
It's just over n hour drive for me to get to the nearest gaming store wit open tables. I used to drive it every weekend, until I started into the more difficult college classes. Now, I have no time to make that kind of drive, which is why I am pushing towards getting a club in the local area started.

Sheepborne
02-05-2013, 16:45
My local gaming club (when I am actually home and not at University) is literally a walk across the street. The nearest store of any kind is an hour away. To answer regarding my 'longest travel', I'd say three and a half hours approximately. Nottingham is some distance away from Wales.

Luigi
02-05-2013, 16:48
when i used to go to the regular GW it took me a hour and a half- two hours usually. I then stopped going there because i hate the environment and, furhtermore my army has evolved during the years to contain large parts of non GW models.
then i switched to an independent store (you're in toronto so you probably know duelling grounds :) ) and that took me about 30 mins- 40 mins top.
problem is people do not play fantasy at all here :cries:, and i can't seem to be able to find opponents.
I've actually last year started building tons of terrain in case i find somebody willing to host a game at his place

MagicHat
02-05-2013, 16:50
125 kilometer (1h 20 minutes) to nearest GW.
20 minutes to a store that sells warhammer and about the same to my local gaming club.

Trustey
02-05-2013, 16:51
GW, 5 hours. FLGS, 5 minutes.

Not exaggerating.

I really do need to start an escalation league here though. It's a 40k crowd.

Fingers
02-05-2013, 16:51
15 min to GW, 5 min to LGS. 10 min to friends where we play.

semperfi
02-05-2013, 17:39
nearest gaming club is one flight of stairs down ^^ so that takes me around 20 second to get to (5 if jumping 10 steps)
nearest LGS is about 5 minutes on the bike
nearest GW is 20 minutes car drive away
and longest i travelled to buy GW (related)stuff was 6 hours

Messiahnide
02-05-2013, 17:40
About a 15 to 20 minute bus ride to my local GW, about the same for a small FLGS that opened about a year back.

Zothos
02-05-2013, 17:40
FLGS is about 35 minutes away from me.

Our group plays in my barn, so that's just outside my door.

Scaryscarymushroom
02-05-2013, 17:57
GW, 5 hours. FLGS, 5 minutes.

Not exaggerating.

GW, 12 hours, 750+ miles. LGS, 15 minutes. 2 miles in city traffic.

And I am split between gaming at friends' houses and gaming at the store; because I have a modular board that is just as easy to set up as the 6'x4' foldout hinged wooden tabletoppers at the LGS.

Nearest LGS with proper tables is about 40 mins away.

Dante blackfur
02-05-2013, 18:28
My LGS is about 25 mins away, I don't even know of a GW store in the state. (Minnesota) so everything is an independent store.

Longest is 14 hours 870(?) miles. From anoka, MN, to Indianapolis (gencon) :-)

Worship
02-05-2013, 21:48
Well the one LGS that catered mainly to 40k is closed now due to the new GW retail policies.. That was about 20 min away.

But the nearest GW center is about 45 - 60 min away. Usually doesn't seem worth it unless I'm passing through the area.

ForgottenLore
02-05-2013, 22:02
Until recently the nearest GW store was about an 8 hour drive away, however, they just opened one in Columbus so now there is one only 2 hours away.

There are at least 4 FLGS within a 45 minute drive. They each have a different specialty, wargames, RPGs, CCGs and Board Games. All but one of them have tables set up for people to come in and play games on.

PrehistoricUFO
02-05-2013, 22:09
About 30 - 45 mins to my local GW, but there's apparently one opening up like 10 mins from me sometime soon. Hopefully the staff won't be arrogant - then again, this is a GW we are talking about.

My indy retailer is like 2 minutes away from my house, but I don't like the staff in that store. Very lazy, you ask questions about their stock, and they will say "I'm not sure", and go back to reading their graphic novel, instead of providing actual service and oh, I don't know, FINDING OUT??!!!

No problem for me, I'll take my business to eBay or other discount retailers.

-Loki-
03-05-2013, 01:54
10 minutes drive, both my FLGS and GW (GW is just down the road).

jakka
03-05-2013, 02:03
25 mins to GW, i dont have any LGS around me, that being said i normally play at my house with a few friends and improvised terrain, the GW staff is incredibly rude to new people, their is like 5 people that he likes and have been playing with for 10+ years, and anybody else who tries to enter the store gets ridiculed and insulted until they leave, i suppose it works for them, they get their own little gaming store and even get payed for it (up until the point where GW realises that the store doesnt make as much money becuase it only has 5 regular customers)

PrehistoricUFO
03-05-2013, 02:45
25 mins to GW, i dont have any LGS around me, that being said i normally play at my house with a few friends and improvised terrain, the GW staff is incredibly rude to new people, their is like 5 people that he likes and have been playing with for 10+ years, and anybody else who tries to enter the store gets ridiculed and insulted until they leave, i suppose it works for them, they get their own little gaming store and even get payed for it (up until the point where GW realises that the store doesnt make as much money becuase it only has 5 regular customers)

Most GW stores are clique-y. Mine is the same way, there are regulars who have their armies in the display case (not even especially well painted imo) and they think they're the best thing since sliced bread. I found out later from a player that they're personal friends of the store manager, and they're allowed in the display case so they don't need to transport the army there every time they want to play. Well, that explains it. :rolleyes:

fgsfds-
03-05-2013, 02:47
The furthest I travel is 65 kilometers by train and a bus to my workplace once a week. I work part-time as a youth leader and I'm responsible for a Warhammer club where I play with the kids occasionally. It takes about an hour to get there.
There is a GW store (THE only GW store there is in Finland) just about 20 minutes away if using the subway, but I don't go to play there. It feels uncomfortable as the store is quite small and the tables are in the middle of the store (=no intimacy), and I've seldom seen anyone playing there. But there are a few retailers nearby the GW store that have a quite active group of players and their facilities are a bit more intimate.
There are also at least two Warhammer clubs just a subway trip away.
Mostly I've played at home with my partner and our friends.

Axeman1n
03-05-2013, 03:17
Los Angeles traffic makes all distances depend on the time of day. My closest FLGS is 25mins away, but can take up to 1 hr. The closest GW store is 40mins away, but can take up to 90mins. I usually time my trips to coinside with optimal traffic conditions.

Eppe
03-05-2013, 04:35
I game with buddies in a different city so about once a month i drive an hour to hang/play with them. I have a GWS with in 40 minutes and FLGS with in 20 minutes though.

IncrediSteve
03-05-2013, 05:40
When I first started the hobby in 2000 as a Juve, it was a 2 hour drive no matter which store I chose. I got one parent or another to drive me there either just to buy stuff or to be abandoned with an army for a whole day, about 5 times a year.

Now as an adult living in Columbus, I've got quite the choice available; 5 LGS's with tables all within 20 minutes, and probably around 10 stores that sell it. My preferred LGS is 20 minutes away on the other side of town, but it is both the nicest, and the best prices. They also have a loyalty database, and the irresponsible amount of spending I've done over the years earned me a lifetime 15% discount there :chrome:

Individual8580
03-05-2013, 07:39
Closest Games Workshop store is about 20 minutes by the subway and closest game store is 16 minutes. At least I think it is the closest one. The funny thing is that it's located below the main library of the university I attend to.

ugavine
03-05-2013, 08:15
My weekly games club, 5 minutes drive.

Nearest GW, 10 minute walk. It's near my work and I often walk past it on my lunch break.

Other GW & FLGS, 30 minute drive/train journey, but usually up to an hour because I go via a friends house.

spaghettyhoop
03-05-2013, 08:42
Nearest GW is 5 minutes in the car. 20 Mins walk.

Got 3 local game shops within 20 mins drive too.

dblaz3r
03-05-2013, 10:29
My local is about an hour away which isn't too bad. The public transport where I am is quite good so it's just a matter of bus, ferry, train and a short walk until I'm ready to game. :)

budman
03-05-2013, 10:33
40 to the local or 5 mins from the london office I work at.

ChrisMurray
03-05-2013, 12:08
Nearest GW 30-40 min drive (depending on traffic) nearest LGS is 10 min walk but they only have one table which can only be used on a Sunday and always has a large group of 12-14 year olds on it.

PrehistoricUFO
03-05-2013, 12:25
You guys are so lucky to have so many options. I don't hit my GW anymore for various reasons, and my only LGS is staffed by incompetents who I refuse to give money to because of their terrible customer service. Ugh.

ctuttle
03-05-2013, 14:12
15 min to local GW. But here in the Bay Area there are at least 5 gaming stores within an hour to play at.

I tend to play at my house though since I have a large amount of terrain and a large dedicated game room.

Coldhatred
03-05-2013, 15:37
30 minutes for both my FLGS and my local GW store, just in kind of opposite directions. When I move I'll be much closer which will be great!

NurglesRot
06-05-2013, 05:50
About a 20 minute drive for me to my local GW, which I'm lucky enough to have a fantastic GW store - nothing like the horror stories you read on the net with rude staff!

FredrikR
06-05-2013, 09:39
About 15 minute drive to FLGS, closest GW is about 3.5 hours away in either Stockholm or Gothenburg...

chromedog
08-05-2013, 07:40
10 minutes to nearest GW. Next nearest, 3 hours. (we have the only GW store between the Northern Suburbs of Sydney and the QLD border) By car. I can walk to the GW in about 30 minutes (well, I could when I used to go to it. I no longer patronise the store.)
7 minutes to nearest FLGS. 20 minute walk.
9 minutes to nearest dedicated hobby/model store.

Azulthar
08-05-2013, 09:00
15 minutes to the nearest GW.

About 45 minutes to the nearest FLGS. The GW more or less pushed the nearby FLGS out of selling miniatures.

orkmiester
08-05-2013, 09:34
well i'm slightly blessed...

I've got about 5 GWs in public transport distance- one in about 15mins (same with the car...) and the rest 45mins to an hour plus, either on the bus or bus+Midland Metro...

my gaming club is in the same town as the nearest GW so its 15mins all together... though whenever i get to GW Walsall he tends to be on his lunch break:rolleyes:

and there are other clubs/ independent stores in acceptable driving distance, but I don't have my own motor yet:rolleyes:

@ugavine

which part of the Black country are you from? we might have crossed paths ;)

Johnnya10
08-05-2013, 11:32
Happily, I'm about a 25 minute tube ride away from my local GW, with at least two others within easy commuting distance. Very handy.

The furthest I ever travelled to a GW store was the grand opening of the Crawley Store in... *counts on fingers* '93(?). That was about a 2 hour drive from my hometown. Had all the vouchers they used to do in White Dwarf. It was for a friend's birthday. All those discounted boxes and blisters... I wish they still did that.

MaliceXR3
08-05-2013, 15:38
Not sure on the FLGS side, but there is 2 GW stores within a half hour bus journey of me

Redix
08-05-2013, 15:50
The nearest GW store to me is at least 9 hours away. Never been to one, but since I tend to use a lot of scratchbuilt/substitution models, from what I hear I'm not missing much. My local gaming store with open tables to play on is only like 10 minutes away.

Ace Rimmer
08-05-2013, 18:27
Nearest Indy is about a 15 minute walk, nearest GW is about a 25 minute drive with good traffic or about 1h15m by bus once you've walked down.

Sqallum
08-05-2013, 18:32
5 minute drive. (looks smug)

marv335
12-05-2013, 11:45
Nearest shop that sells GW?
I don't know how long to drive, as its a couple of countries away, and I'd fly.
It's about 3500 miles to my usual games shops/clubs from where I live to where I play.
I don't get to play that often....

jackers
13-05-2013, 09:25
nearest GW is about 10-15 mins by bus, and it is where I play most of my games. nearest gaming club is about 30 mins away with 2 different buses needed, so it's a bit of a hassle to get there. I will probably start going to it sometimes once I get a little more confident with the hobby.

Kulgur
13-05-2013, 13:23
About 30-45min to either one of the two closest GWs from where I live. Or about a 10min walk from work to GW Cambridge. Unfortunately they're almost always either closed or deserted when I actually have time to play.

infamousme
14-05-2013, 01:44
210 miles to a small store in montana or a good 300+ miles to a decent sized store in the denver area...... yeah i dont play very often.