PDA

View Full Version : Allies for CSM

LotusCorgi
03-05-2013, 03:25
Hello all!

Reading the latest CSM opinion thread it seems there is a general agreement that the CSM codex is solid as long as allies are used to cover the gaps. In my mind the fluffiest allies are IG and CD. Well seeing as I have yet to play a game of 6th, are there any experienced generals out there who have had success with a particular ally build from IG or CD? Thanks in advance!

Brotheroracle
03-05-2013, 04:01
Hard to go wrong with the IG, a cheap autocannon platoon backed up by a bassie or LR is pretty solid and fluffy for the more organized warbands.

Fingers
03-05-2013, 05:06
Yep Id say IG would make better Allies, though you can make some fun armies with Daemons as your allies as well.

Charistoph
03-05-2013, 05:21
Quick question, is your Warband dedicated to one of the Four, several, or are they more Renegades, not devoted to anyone but themselves?

If the first two, then Daemons, representing their pacts with the Foul Ones. If the last, then IG (or even Tau) as they reject the Gods and gather weak human followers to try them to see who would be worthy to be exalted to join them.

LotusCorgi
03-05-2013, 06:19
I play an alpha legion warband that has been corrupted by slaanesh. Both IG and daemons would fit the fluff. What I'm not sure about is which allied army would compliment my warband the best tactically.

Charistoph
03-05-2013, 07:00
They both have their advantages.

IG tends to provide numbers (both in models and heavy weapons) and air control (Vendettas and Hydras). But they aren't Battle Brothers, so they can't use Psychic Powers on each other.

Daemons are trickier to play and face and each unit tends to be more specialized in their roles. They ARE Battle Brothers and so each can buff the other with their Psychic Powers (if you choose to use any).

A lot also depends on what you field from Chaos Marines and what holes you need to fill.

In the end, the obvious answer is get both, but the first one is always the hardest.

Shadow Lord
03-05-2013, 07:45
Kinda depends on your loadout with your CSM. Do you use them as objectiveholders with some ranged capabilities or rather as assault troops for contesting the opponent's objectives? When used as defenders then you're better off allying with daemons, if you are using them as assault troops then maybe it's better to use the long ranged firepower of the IG...also depends on your playstyle...and personal preference ofc.

totgeboren
03-05-2013, 08:49
I feel IG are a little bit more useful, as they provide stuff you don't get in the CSM list, whilst the Daemon list have a lot of overlap with the CSM book.

For example, just from a single IG troop choice and HQ I can get a 30 man blob-squad with a commissar, meltaguns and a junior command squad behind them giving FRFSRF, and a 20-man squad with lascannons backed by the HQ command squad giving them Bring it down orders or stuff like that.

With that, the entire CSM army can be focused on advancing on the enemy and taking them down, and the two guardsmen blobs can hold both my home objective and one objective a bit further out.

When making pure CSM lists, I always have the dilemma of what to keep in my home base, if I have any objectives there. I don't want my CSM with a heavy weapon, as they are seldom worth it instead of using two specials, and cultists are very unimpressive sitting around shooting stuff with their heavy stubbers.

IG allows you to make every single unit you take useful.

Daemons have the same problem as CSM, though Horrors could maybe stay back and claim objectives. However, the rules for Horrors are so bad it just makes me sad, so I'm not to thrilled about using them.