PDA

View Full Version : chariots and Wood Elves

Demiurg
03-05-2013, 22:35
Long ago my wood elves had several chariots now they have none. With all the new flying chariots do you think they should get their chariots back?

What fluff is there for Wood Elves in other areas of the world?

boli
03-05-2013, 23:52
There is a huge "meadow glade" to the south of Loren where WEs breed and train their horses. The last book just "forgot" this in preference of wood spirits.

I definatly think chariots should return to WEs though. They've been in since the start.

RanaldLoec
04-05-2013, 00:03
With the advent of the most recent book woodelves and Athel Loren lore took an interesting turn. Athel Loren is alluded to as a semi sentient entity which has a carefully balance symbiotic relationship with the Asrai (woodelves).

The Athel loren provides shelter, food and protection in return the elves act in the interest of the forest and as guardian's during fall and winter when Athel loren is at its weakest.

The book makes mention of secret paths and hidden ways that connects Athel loren to other magical and sacred places (wouldn't surprise me if in the next woodelves book theres mention of links to the everqueens realm in ulthuan but that's just me guessing). Woodelves tend and protect these areas outside of Athel loren boarders as they form part of the whole as well.

Woodelvres are portrayed as being very insular caring only about the wellbeing of Athel loren when they do leave there realm its to act in its future defense to prevent an enemy before they become an even greater threat. All though this is portrayed as being relatively rare.

I expect this may change with the 8th ed book I expect a line similar to "seeing the growing threat to Athel lorens existence from external forces the woodelves have began to travel further a field from there forest realm to prevent future threats before they reach there boader etc etc again me just extrapolating and guessing based on GWs recent fluff. Making woodelves more active in the warhammer world .

As for chariots they where always portrayed as belonging to the elves that inhabited the surrounding grasslands, with the newer fluff woodelves would abhor the use of the forest to build chariot frames. Unless it was a willing frame grown by Athel loren but that's just another guess.

They could completely rewrite all the woodelves fluff with the next book. I hope they don't I like the dark edge to them makes them more unique than good elves or evil elves.

cyberspite
04-05-2013, 00:41
There are perfectly valid arguments for having chariots in the wood elf list, but I agree with Ranald, I prefer the darker, more savage take on wood elves. Chariots just seem a bit too 'civilised' for me, and just because other elves get them doesn't mean wood elves should too, anything to differentiate them further is good for me.

CaptainOtter
04-05-2013, 04:19
A traditional chariot doesn't really fit for the wood elves. Chariots are not good in difficult terrain. The bulk of the Wood Elf existence occurs in forests which are, you guessed it, difficult terrain. It's very hard to imagine a standard two wheeled chariot moving through the dense forests of Athel Loren.

However, I think there is potential for a different kind of chariot. Maybe still pulled by horses, but instead of wheels the chariot is propelled by magic sprites, making it hover a bit over the ground. I think the final product could be a very symbiotic creation between the sprites and elves of the forest.

zoggin-eck
04-05-2013, 07:11
I'm not sure how High Elves getting a flying chariot has anything to do with Wood Elves? A flying chariot would be even worse for them to use. Besides, the High Elves still have their other chariots, too.

However, I quite liked it when the background often mentioned the Elves marching out to meet an approaching army, so cavalry and chariots make perfect sense. I can't stand the extremes people take them to, where they absolutely don't use timber of any sort, with bows and spears being the limit. A chariot of woven strands of wood and vines could be strong/lightweight enough for the Elven aesthetic.

WizzyWarlock
04-05-2013, 07:59
I don't like chariots, they always remind me of Ben Hur. I just can't see Wood Elves riding around on a chariot like some Ben Hur competition, it's just.. weird. I like their current style, quite savage with tree spirits coming to their aid.

theunwantedbeing
04-05-2013, 08:04
Yeah chariots make no sense as we all know wood elves only ever fight in the middle of dense forests.
That's why they have that rule that means you can't use Chariots against them in battle.

Elly_Banearrow
04-05-2013, 12:52
I can agree with those on both sides, and also see the downsides so I want to suggest something else. How about a unit/rule that allows certain units to place down blinds? Now, I have no idea how the it would move, if it moved or most of how it would work, but I have 1 idea. If the unit/unit w/rule has the Hunting Blind places said blind in a forest, the unit acts as if it is behind hard cover as its opponents cannot see the elves.

As for my idea for chariots, I think they would be grown from the forest as a natural, living plant and have the Forest Stride special rule. As the chariot would be a living part of the forest, it would not be hindered from moving easily through it or over open land. And, being a living thing, it would have the forest spirit special rule. What do you guys think, too over powered? Just what wood elves need?

yabbadabba
04-05-2013, 12:59
Depends if they go further back into the Wood Elves Celtic/Briton heritage. If they do, and with the Tomb Kings plastic chariots, you could see a box set of plastics.

Ghal Maraz
04-05-2013, 13:02
Yeah chariots make no sense as we all know wood elves only ever fight in the middle of dense forests.
That's why they have that rule that means you can't use Chariots against them in battle.

And that's why Beastmen use chariots. And that's why the inhabitants of Chrace, the most mountainous and forest-covered of Ulthuan's inner realms, use chariots. Pulled by lions.

Why
04-05-2013, 18:17
I just don't like chariots in the context of the current fluff. They are great in some armies and are great when it comes to fluff. (eg. Tomb Kings) But with the way the wood elf fluff is currently, with them being semi savage and all, chariots just don't fit. Add to that the fact that in The vaults of winter wood elves are made to seem even more savage, I don't expect chariots to find their way into the book.

Now if wood elves go back to the, "rainbows and fairies," fluff they had before, chariots would fit in quite nicely.

Demiurg
04-05-2013, 18:21
Like the idea of a fae sprite sledge ala radagast type thing.

is Vaults of winter worth reading?

Urgat
04-05-2013, 18:32
I just don't like chariots in the context of the current fluff. They are great in some armies and are great when it comes to fluff. (eg. Tomb Kings) But with the way the wood elf fluff is currently, with them being semi savage and all, chariots just don't fit. Add to that the fact that in The vaults of winter wood elves are made to seem even more savage, I don't expect chariots to find their way into the book.

Now if wood elves go back to the, "rainbows and fairies," fluff they had before, chariots would fit in quite nicely.

Do you find that beastemn or orcs&goblins are rainbows and fairies :confused:
I'll say something that will make people cringe, but I dislike the whole "skirmish & ambush" vibe of the WE (besides the fact it was totally unfun to face in 6th/7th ed). Warhammer is about armies fighting, and WE are fielding armies too, and I don't know about you, but I've never played a game that happened entirely in a forest. So WE fight, like everybody else, in the plains. All the gimmicky ambush stuff makes no sense in that kind of setting. They need shock troops and stuff like everybody else. I don't find chariots to be out of place in that light.

yabbadabba
04-05-2013, 18:44
Wood Elves need a proper Light Infantry option - capable of both flexible movement and some durability in combat. Will combine well with shooting aspect

Why
05-05-2013, 00:32
Wood Elves need a proper Light Infantry option - capable of both flexible movement and some durability in combat. Will combine well with shooting aspect

If dryads had a 1-2 point upgrade to lose skirmish I do believe it would help wood elves a lot. Although they would need to still have the option to skirmish because my 8 man dryad units are not something I could part with.

@Urgat
I have played a few games now with the whole board as a forest. Just so I can say I did to people that bring this up. It was a lot of fun for both me and my opponents even if they lost badly. It really changed up way the game worked, made it more like older editions.

As I said I just don't like the idea of chariots in the current context of the wood elf book. I also don't want wood elves to lose their unique play style because currently that is the only reason I play them. Even if the play style isn't very effective at least it isn't squares of troupes smashing into each other, although smashing squares together is very fun :D

All wood elves have is the fact that they are forest dwellers and they fight in a very unique way, if they lost that they may as well just give HE treemen and wardancers and forget wood elves completely.

JWhex
05-05-2013, 14:21
I dont have any qualms about WE getting their chariots back, now we have elves that have chariots pulled by horses, lions, cold ones and eagles.

ashe
05-05-2013, 14:34
What wood elves need is not chariots it is, 12-14 pts war dancers & dryad used as normal infantry no more skirmish bs after all GW did broke scermish after 7th edition so keeping those units as overpriced skirmishers makes no sence. The second change they need is some sort of monster ridden unit that could provide some brute force to the army. The ogres have the big cats, the toomb kings have the necro knights, empire have the chokobos the wood elves should ether get some cool stag or unicorn riders which will fit perfectly to the current army.

yabbadabba
05-05-2013, 14:45
If dryads had a 1-2 point upgrade to lose skirmish I do believe it would help wood elves a lot. Although they would need to still have the option to skirmish because my 8 man dryad units are not something I could part with. I agree, but I still think that a proper LI option should be created for the WE. Something like:
Movement: LI move like skirmishers
Combat: When charging or being charged LI operate like any non-skirmish Infantry unit; the only exception is that they can only have a maximum +2CR from ranks and only count up to 3 ranks (including the first) for calculating Steadfast.

Demiurg
05-05-2013, 15:18
War Dancers should fill this niche

eldargal
05-05-2013, 15:24
Never liked Wood Elves having chariots. Trees > chariots. Just because they have a big clearing or two doesn't make much difference, to me it is like arguing for a navy because you have a big lake. Waste of effort and resources. My opinion.

The Celtic/Briton thing doesn't change anything because contrary to popular belief by the Celtic period Britain had already been largely deforested (it hasn't changed that much in two thousand years).

Demiurg
05-05-2013, 15:35
Never liked Wood Elves having chariots. Trees > chariots. Just because they have a big clearing or two doesn't make much difference, to me it is like arguing for a navy because you have a big lake. Waste of effort and resources. My opinion.

The Celtic/Briton thing doesn't change anything because contrary to popular belief by the Celtic period Britain had already been largely deforested (it hasn't changed that much in two thousand years).

So much in fact they planted the New Forest, just so they could have someplace to hunt and cut wood for ships from.

yabbadabba
05-05-2013, 15:48
The Celtic/Briton thing doesn't change anything because contrary to popular belief by the Celtic period Britain had already been largely deforested (it hasn't changed that much in two thousand years). What's reality got to do with anything? GW imagery has always been a collage of inspirations. Adding the Chariots creates another option for wood elves, as well as linking back into both their source imagery and original design. And they will need those options with the whole skirmishing thing out of the window. Let's face facts all Elves are fragile at the best of times, with wood elves they have decided to protect glass with a lightly baked layer of meringue.

NemoSD
05-05-2013, 15:53

True, and false. :-p The Isles lost most of their forest due to climate change as the ice age receded, mass man driven deforestation would not occur until the British start building ships in mass quantities.

As for defense of the WE with Chariots, the Britons and Ancient Welsh both used a chariot, nothing as complex as the ones in the south (And they still used them long after the Roman's abandoned their use). I bring up the Welsh because anyone who has been there, is from there, or knows anything about Geography, knows that Wales is either swamp, scrub forest, or unfriendly hills.

Chariots in general are ineffective war equipment. They are used in Warhammer for the rule of cool, not because they make sense. I see no problem with the Wood Elves getting one to push around if they want.

eldargal
05-05-2013, 15:54
I was just addressing the idea that taking WEs closer to the Celtic inspiration would be sensible justification for chariots. They still doesn't make sense in a wooded environment. It's not a big deal, it isn't like I'm going to ragequit if they reintroduce chariots, I'll just think it is stupid. Some kind of floating chariot like the skycutter would make more sense. I still see it as navy in a lake, possible but pointless.

NemosSD, I wasn't referring to human forced deforestation, jsut deforestation in general and the environmental archaeology is quite clear that most of Britain was deforested by the time the Romans arrives.:) Natural or man-made isn't particularly relevant to the issue here.

Daniel36
05-05-2013, 16:14
I think the old Wood Elf chariots were the coolest! I would love for them to be reintroduced. And as for making sense or not, Beastmen are forest creatures too, yet they use them all the time. Battles fought are rarely IN Athel Loren, and even then, the Spellsingers can easily create road systems for the chariots to race around in. And like NemoSD says, it's the rule of cool, not whether or not it makes any sense. It doesn't make any sense riding a phoenix either... But it looks cool.

I might even be tempted to buy a High Elf chariot or two just so I can reintroduce a chariot in my own games. I never use Wood Elves outside of my now ongoing Storm of Magic "campaign" anyways, and it's a cool add-on. Which reminds me, I should really start painting (and unfortunately repairing) my Glade Riders...

Thanks for the inspiration! :)

yabbadabba
05-05-2013, 16:29
I was just addressing the idea that taking WEs closer to the Celtic inspiration would be sensible justification for chariots. I think real life should always be used for inspiration but never for justification when it comes to WFB and 40K. That way lies utter madness I feel :P

eldargal
05-05-2013, 16:35
Fair enough.:)

theunwantedbeing
05-05-2013, 16:59

What doesn't make sense about having a navy to protect you and your big lake from constant attack?
Especially if the navy is built from the abundant self replenishing resources you own....

cyberspite
05-05-2013, 17:14
It just comes down to personal opinion really, some people think it would be cool, others don't. For me, it has nothing to do with whether they can drive them through woods or if ancient Britons had them or not, there's just so many other things I would rather see first.

If you are looking to add a fast, hard-hitting threat to the army; Wildriders upgraded to MC, improved warhawks, reintroduction of beastmasters, I would rather see any of these before bringing chariots back. But again, that's just my personal opinion.

Gustav Kohn
05-05-2013, 17:42
I will cry if they put in WE chariots. Don't like them don't want them. There are multiple ways to skin a sabercat. I hope they stick with the skirmished idea for WE and just make it more effective with Special rules. honestly, diminished cost for scouts or making them available without regular GG would go a LONG way. Also singers being able to use more than just Athel Loren. The Way watchers should have no armor save instead of KB since KB just got KB'd.

brightblade
05-05-2013, 17:47
Personally I don't want Celtic elves. I want wood elves. I am pro forest spirits and the green man but they are not Celtic!

The vaults of winter was pretty good in setting up the woodies. I liked the proto-sandman/hellblazer feel the spirit angle had and want that played up more. I certainly don't want Keira Knightley in King Arthur style woodies.

I have no objection to Wood Elf chariots at all. There is no reason they can't be enchanted to move through the woods and wilds and I couldn't give two hoots about 'think of the practicality' .

Bollicks, gimme chariots 'cause they are cool! I want wood ELVES not frickin' bravebleedin'heart. I want punk wardancers too!

Stupid Celt wannabes. 😝 I will cheer when chariots come back! I wanna get stuck into a fight too! All this avoidance bores me! I don't mind harrying the enemy and then destroying it but breaking my army up into small units and feeding them to my enemy one at a time to avoid mass combat is rubbish. It's called WARhammer not pansyhammer! Make my wood elves tough, again like in third. So there.

RanaldLoec
05-05-2013, 18:02
Woodelves have a ranked core unit

Eternal Guard they just need a few tweaks.

Dryads will be a nightmare to rank up I'm crying just thinking about it. That being said ranked dryads would be a right unit. I'd like the option to skirmish though.

PUNK is dead long live EMO elves.

Only problem with emo elves is their more likely to cut them selves than the enemy.

brightblade
05-05-2013, 18:23
Booooo to emo elves!

Go hang around a graveyard attempting to look 'moody' and 'deep' Wood elves are in touch with the spirits of the woods and wilds not sulking and thinking about death and sadness. They exult in being alive! Time to have an army that fights evil and chaos for life's sake! The Life of all things that dwell in the deep woods!

All emo's worry about is the rising price of cider and whether or not wearing two shades of black is flattering.

A mix of the current book and the one before it , along with a nice, new,big toy is all that is required.

My woodies do run a large block of eternal guard and two large units of archers. Along with dancers and watchers. I do include spirits in larger games but I like to get stuck in with elves! Old school! Very old school in my case! I even do ok with them!

HurrDurr
05-05-2013, 19:10
No offense but anyone saying dryads should lose skirmish completely(optional is okay) have absolutely zero skill or experience playing this game, the idea of a hovering chariot pulled by sprites seems really cool, they pulled off the floaty thing well with mortis/coven. I honestly don't think WE really need chariots from a mechanics point of view. I'd much rather have a choice we can take multiple times with a template weapon, giant flowers that shoot seed bombs! (not really but it would be hilarious to kill people with flowers)

Why
05-05-2013, 20:45
https://www.google.ca/search?q=plants+vs+zombies&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=araGUazbLqjwigK-jIGABQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1360&bih=620

So that's how the wood elves beat Kemmler:D

I agree the optionto have ranked dryads would help the wood elf army. But always ranked dryads would be so sad.

Chariots are not needed in the wood elf army, give us stag riders!!!

TheLionReturns
06-05-2013, 00:07
I quite like the idea of a chariot option. There is a fluff explanation already and the idea of a chariot and glade rider dominated force seems quite an interesting possibility. We certainly need a few alternative builds in our next book. I just hope we don’t get anything as silly as that high elf flying chariot.

Odin
06-05-2013, 00:15
No offense but anyone saying dryads should lose skirmish completely(optional is okay) have absolutely zero skill or experience playing this game

No offence, but that's the stupidest sentence I've read in quite a while.

revenant J J
06-05-2013, 01:53
With Athel Loren being a conscious entity, I always imagined the forest would simply part for the chariots.

boli
06-05-2013, 02:27
WE patrols use chariots, they fight most of their battles on the border.

thegoss84
06-05-2013, 03:01
I didn't play back in the day when they used to have chariots, but I think WE chariots would be cool. They could be made out of gnarrled wood and pulled by a great stag or floating on/pulled by a swarm of forest sprites.

Why
06-05-2013, 03:26
Actually I am fine if they add a chariot I just won't use it in my army, unless it turns out as a pleasant surprise like the Skycutter thing.

HurrDurr
06-05-2013, 07:50
No offence, but that's the stupidest sentence I've read in quite a while.

I'll be honest, it's coded so only people slightly more clever than a shoe will understand.

Being serious though, it would make them terrible. They aren't chaos warriors so don't play them the same way you would chaos warriors.

Odin
06-05-2013, 09:20
I'll be honest, it's coded so only people slightly more clever than a shoe will understand.

Being serious though, it would make them terrible. They aren't chaos warriors so don't play them the same way you would chaos warriors.

The problem is not so much with Dryads as with the whole army - we only have a couple of anvil options in a game that pretty heavily relies on anvils now. I think it's inevitable that they'll lose skirmish. It makes me sad, but they are the obvious choice to move to ranked. Perhaps it is better to wait and see what GW do with the skirmish rules in 9th.

HurrDurr
06-05-2013, 13:54
And why not our currently 100% unusable and useless eternal guard? cheap stubborn troops doesn't sound bad. Anvils tend to be either really cheap core or really expensive durable elites, do they not? I expect eternal guard to get cheaper or more powerful.

Odin
06-05-2013, 23:43
And why not our currently 100% unusable and useless eternal guard? cheap stubborn troops doesn't sound bad. Anvils tend to be either really cheap core or really expensive durable elites, do they not? I expect eternal guard to get cheaper or more powerful.

They should be one of the options, yes. Frankly I don't know, I'm struggling to picture how wood elves can fully work in 8th edition and still keep their character.

theunwantedbeing
07-05-2013, 00:31
They should be one of the options, yes. Frankly I don't know, I'm struggling to picture how wood elves can fully work in 8th edition and still keep their character.

I don't see the issue.
Dryads are one unit, losing skirmish doesn't do anything to change the character of the army...plus they didn't skirmish in the previous book.

The elves seem to be the skirmishers, not the forest creatures.
Wardancers? Elves
Scouts? Elves
Waywatchers? Elves
Warhawk Riders? Elves

If anything, Dryads shouldn't skirmish to help enforce the character of the Wood Elves.

Why
07-05-2013, 00:46
That actually makes sense, but wardancers would have to become really good to compensate for the loss of skirmishing dryads.

HurrDurr
07-05-2013, 02:11
I don't see the issue.
Dryads are one unit, losing skirmish doesn't do anything to change the character of the army...plus they didn't skirmish in the previous book.

The elves seem to be the skirmishers, not the forest creatures.
Wardancers? Elves
Scouts? Elves
Waywatchers? Elves
Warhawk Riders? Elves

If anything, Dryads shouldn't skirmish to help enforce the character of the Wood Elves.

Eternal guard
Gladeguard
Gladeriders
Wildriders

Regardless of how elves fight it doesn't dictate how a forest spirit fights. If you're arguing for balance reasons then at best there should be an option for dryads to rank, but treekin are the only ranked forest spirit so I don't see a trend, even then it's probably for balance reasons more than "how it would be in real life." For both balance reasons and fluff reasons I think dryads forming into organized blocks of troops and marching seems really bad, and would look terrible on the table as well. I don't see how skirmishing dryads in a skirmish army detract from it's character either, on the table the trees are the heavy hitters, dryads treekin and treemen cover the different bases very well. I think only point costs real wards and maybe a few rule updates are needed. Also dryads didn't skirmish because they had "wardances" which would be pretty broken in this edition I think, or at least pull the army play style into a really goofy/unfun CC oriented style.

It's mostly the elves themselves that need a rework. Which is a topic you can see beaten to death regularly all over this forum in mathhammer and theory. That's why the high elves are all cocaine injected 2h crazies and dark elves get rerolls all over the place. As far as Wardancers becoming better, I fully agree they need A LOT of help. I think it was bad dice number 69 where first/second place tourney player who was considered to be one of the top players for WE was saying he wouldn't take them unless they had a 4+ base ward and ASF. I won't say I thought of it first but I was thinking the exact same thing. But wardancers "in theory" have a different job than dryads in the current book do, they are supposed to be heavy hitting melee glass cannons. I would be really disappointed to see any of the expensive elven units cheapened and taken out of the elite category.

Dryads are really more of trouble makers, they can rush a volleygun in 8 man squads and usually live long enough to kill the crew, they are excessively hard for ranged troops to deal with (currently WE get outshot by almost any army in the game so this is a big deal), they can redirect, if you get the chance to block a unit while sitting in a forest they are amazing at holding things up, even a unit of MC can get stuck another turn on them. I think dryads are the most powerful unit in our book, I can see them getting a real ward save and maybe points lowered (the points part making them a balanced but no-brainer choice). I add 3 units of 8 before I put a single gladeguard on the paper. Maybe it's my playstyle but all this talk about dryads being ranked units makes me want to curl up in a ball in some dark corner and suck my thumb until the bad people go away.

Why
07-05-2013, 05:14
Improved wardancers and wild riders would eliminate using dryads in the way you are saying. Also, ranked dryads would help out all forest spirit armies immensely. Wardancers to be annoying and wild riders can rush warmachines far better than any dryads can, even in their current state. So if the roles you currently use dryads to fill got filled by something else, a hard hitting ranked infantry unit is a good spot for them to fill, eternal guard can be the tough anvil unit with 3+ armor and parry, or something like that.

I agree that elves as a whole need something to help them out.

WizzyWarlock
07-05-2013, 08:08
Just had an idea while reading the new posts. Dryads are forest spirits in war form, so how about giving them the option to switch to spirit form? Each turn you can decide if they're in war form or spirit form, which gives them the ethereal special rule. I quite like that idea...

Urgat
07-05-2013, 08:35
Considering how skirmish works in 8th ed, I honestly have a difficult time understanding why you want to keep it. It was cool when it was somewhat like in 40K, but now it's just a pain to use, at least that's how I feel when I use my squig hoppers.

Odin
07-05-2013, 11:09
That actually makes sense, but wardancers would have to become really good to compensate for the loss of skirmishing dryads.

Well, they do anyway. But this is another reason... dryads without skirmish would be unique within the army, with skirmish they are mainly just cheaper and tougher wardancers.

Odin
07-05-2013, 11:12
Just had an idea while reading the new posts. Dryads are forest spirits in war form, so how about giving them the option to switch to spirit form? Each turn you can decide if they're in war form or spirit form, which gives them the ethereal special rule. I quite like that idea...

I was indeed suggesting something like that in the other thread.

dutchwarlord
11-05-2013, 11:56
War Dancer Chariots

yabbadabba
11-05-2013, 11:59
War Dancer Chariots How about War Dancers as chariot runners?

dutchwarlord
11-05-2013, 13:09
Haha but who will be on the chariot then?

yabbadabba
11-05-2013, 13:11
Haha but who will be on the chariot then? Oh, you would still have the Glade Rider kindred doing the chariots, you could just have a rapid delivery system for Wardancers or basically wardancers with a charging war machine :evilgrin:

Lars Porsenna
11-05-2013, 22:15
How about War Dancers as chariot runners?

Brilliant! Not going to happen (IMHO), but still brilliant!

Damon.

Odin
11-05-2013, 22:25
Oh god yes, transport vehicles in Warhammer!

HurrDurr
11-05-2013, 23:22
Improved wardancers and wild riders would eliminate using dryads in the way you are saying. Also, ranked dryads would help out all forest spirit armies immensely. Wardancers to be annoying and wild riders can rush warmachines far better than any dryads can, even in their current state. So if the roles you currently use dryads to fill got filled by something else, a hard hitting ranked infantry unit is a good spot for them to fill, eternal guard can be the tough anvil unit with 3+ armor and parry, or something like that.

I agree that elves as a whole need something to help them out.

They wouldn't because one is 40% cheaper with T4 while the other cost more and is more fragile, they also cost points out of different points pools. Waywatchers do not replace gladeguard, wardancers will not replace dryads when 10 dancers are 200 points(think I'm mixing up my posts here with the wishlisting thread.) and 10 dryads are 120 points with higher toughness. Besides what strategical benefits we can argue for ranked dryads(I am of the opinion that forcing them to be ranked would only butcher WE) it would just look horrible on the table, does anyone dispute that admittedly meager point? I don't envy anyone having to rank them up.