PDA

View Full Version : New Highelf book: Dragonmage wearing armor?

mishari26
05-05-2013, 03:43
So, previously a dragonmage could not buy magic armor with his allowance.

But now he has the option to buy Dragon armor, does that allow him to buy a better magical armor like Armor of Caledor for 50 pt?

MyNameDidntFit
05-05-2013, 03:49
Assuming no specific ruling in his entry to the contrary: yes.

Kloud13
05-05-2013, 04:54
I would say No.

You may only select Armour if you have option for "Normal" armour.

Many of our characters have option for "Normal" armour, or Dragon armour.

I do not believe Dragon armour counts as "Normal" armour.

NitrosOkay
05-05-2013, 04:56
Dragon Armour is heavy armour with special rules. I don't see how that isn't armour.

Look at the Ironfist, since a Slaughtermaster can take it he can take magic armour.

Since Chaos Sorcerors have Chaos armour they can take magic armour. Surely dragon armour isn't much different than Chaos armour?

MyNameDidntFit
05-05-2013, 05:08
Dragon Armour is an item of armour that they can purchase that is not from the Magic Items allowance. That's really all there needs to be to it.

As Nitrous says above me, the examples of Chaos Sorcerers, Daemon Princes and Ogres all point in the same direction.

mishari26
05-05-2013, 05:22
Thank you guys for the response. that really makes me happy as I think now a dragonmage is pretty viable :)

decker_cky
05-05-2013, 06:39
Agree with the above, Dragon mages have an armour option so can take magic armour. Dragon armour + enchanted shield should be a popular setup for a 2+ save

Similar issue, but slightly different: How do people interpret skaven warlock engineers? They come default without magic levels, and have upgrade options for armour and magic levels. Can they buy magic armour when they're wizards?

gogs78
05-05-2013, 07:40
Agree with almost everyone else. You can definately take magic armour unless it says somewhere in unit entry that you cant.
Dragon mages are definately worth experimenting with now!

FatTrucker
05-05-2013, 08:36
If the rule is specifically 'may choose Dragon Armour' that sounds more like a specific choice and a special rule for a dragon mage rather than 'can use any armour and shield'.
If they were allowed to take any armour options it would say so in their upgrade options rather than stating a single specific item that fits with their fluff.
Open to interpretation but that's how I would rule it.

Re warlock engineers, they do their thing using warpstone machines and contraptions rather than being a mage as such. Their heavy armour is represented by the frames and machinery they wear to use and channel warpstone. In fluff terms, effectively without their 'armour' they couldn't cast anything.
Their entry also specifies 'heavy armour' not a specific type of armour.

Askari
05-05-2013, 08:54
There's nothing "special" about Dragon armour, it's a mundane armour choice just like Light Armour or Chaos Armour is. Therefore if a Dragon Mage has access to it (and no explicit restriction such as "May only take Dragon Armour, not any other types of armour") then it'll have access to Magic Armour as well.

Mr_Rose
05-05-2013, 09:15
FatTrucker, how is "heavy armour" not a specific type of armour? Since there are other types that could fall under the general category "armour" after all….

MyNameDidntFit
05-05-2013, 09:18
If the rule is specifically 'may choose Dragon Armour' that sounds more like a specific choice and a special rule for a dragon mage rather than 'can use any armour and shield'.

But that logic is entirely wrong. Chaos Sorcerers have no option for armour beyond the Chaos Armour in their profile. Daemon Princes have to singular choice of Chaos Armour as an option. Neither of these restrict the model from choosing Magic Armour and still casting as they have armour as either an option or a part of their standard kit.

Minsc
05-05-2013, 09:19
Dragonarmour is as much "special" as chaos/mithril/full-plate, and neither of those prevents you from buying other armour/shields.

Yes, you can buy other armour (or shields) to your Dragonmage.
Buying him Armour of Caledor would be a terrible waste of points though, since you can achieve the same effect with just a Enchanted Shield.

Grey Seer Kwokka
06-05-2013, 04:28
Similar issue, but slightly different: How do people interpret skaven warlock engineers? They come default without magic levels, and have upgrade options for armour and magic levels. Can they buy magic armour when they're wizards?

Warlock Engineers do not come with any mundane options for armour at all. So, if you hold off on the wizardry they can take magic armour only. The wizarding ones are kinda screwed as a result, however any build may take Warpstone Armour as it explicitly allows Warlock Engineers to take it regardless of circumstance.

yeknoMehT
06-05-2013, 14:07
I think there is some confusion still floating about. In previous editions, I seem to recall that you couldn't cast spells if you wore armour. As a result, most wizards never had the option to buy armour, with a few exceptions that allowed them to cast magic still. This edition, the only restriction is that you must be able to have a form of mundane armour to take a magic armour item.

There were also restrictions previously on 'must be able to take a mundane shield to take a magic one' but this no longer applies either.

Hamasss
09-05-2013, 15:58
Dragon mage with dragon armor 5+ , dragon 4+ and enchanted shield 2+ AS nice :)

Zoolander
09-05-2013, 16:14
They can definitely wear the caledor armor. Good news.

Hamasss
09-05-2013, 16:17
but why give 50 pts for Caledor armor when u can with Enchanted sheal and normal Dragon armor get same AS for 5 pts :)

theunwantedbeing
09-05-2013, 19:09
but why give 50 pts for Caledor armor when u can with Enchanted sheal and normal Dragon armor get same AS for 5 pts :)

Obviously the other dragon mage got the armoury first :)

bigbiggles
10-05-2013, 07:00
The dragon mage can take whatever magic armor he wants now. All a model has to have is the option to buy armor (even just a shield) to be able to purchase magic armor. The "can't cast magic with armor on" rule was from a previous edition