PDA

View Full Version : Multiple character charges out of the same unit.

Whaagnomore
05-05-2013, 15:06
A unit with 3 characters is chaffblocked on the far right end, all three characters are outside of this block.

Here are the questions:
1. Can they all charge out of the unit?
2. Can they choose different targets?

Lord Inquisitor
05-05-2013, 15:17
Good questions and ones that I don't think you'll find definite answers to because the rules are written on the assumption that there's just one character you might want to charge out.

But for what it's worth I don't see any reason multiple characters can't charge out of a unit or charge multiple enemies.

theunwantedbeing
05-05-2013, 15:50
Lets just go with the following:

1. Yes
2. Yes

RejjeN
05-05-2013, 21:12
People have different interpretations of this, so your best bet is to discuss it with your opponent/gaming group/tournament organizer BEFORE planning on doing it, rather than springing it on someone who thinks it doesn't work like that and ending up in an argument mid-game.

medevilmike
05-05-2013, 23:00
i read the rule as only one char can charge out of a unit at a time,chars in a unit are part of said unit, once one declares a charge out of the unit the unit as a whole is unable to charge anymore. chars are part of the unit and no longer able to charge out.

T10
06-05-2013, 07:27
The way I see it, units and models are not interchangeable terms. When a rule or effect applies to a unit, it affects all the models in the unit. If a model is allowed an exception from the behaviour of the rest of the unit, then this is not suppressed unless specifically noted.

For example: A model must shoot at the enemy that his unit has selected as a target, or he may not shoot at all. However, any model with the Sniper special rule gets to shoot at a different target. If all the models in the unit have the Sniper special rule then the unit must still select an enemy unit as its target even if all the models shoot at units different to this.

I don't see a problem with each model in a unit of characters each declaring their own separate charges out of the unit. The models will not actually leave the unit until it is time to move chargers, so through-out the process of declaring chargers there is still a unit to declare a charge out of.

-T10

Mid'ean
06-05-2013, 11:38
i read the rule as only one char can charge out of a unit at a time,chars in a unit are part of said unit, once one declares a charge out of the unit the unit as a whole is unable to charge anymore. chars are part of the unit and no longer able to charge out.

This too.....:)

T10
06-05-2013, 12:46

but that would mean that when the chara declares the charge,the unit can't charge, and since all charas are part of the same unit then the first character can't charge either. catch twentytwo. or something like that.

-T10

medevilmike
06-05-2013, 22:34
what?...that doesnt make sense. normally t10, lord solar plexus,LI,TUB, and a few others answer every question between em accurately and i almost never comment cause at least one of em says what I would say.this subject is controversial, but only because people fail to take page 99 in small book, combined units into consideration or something, then page 101 leaving a unit second paragraph. "whilst a character is part of a unit, both he and the unit(including any other char) are treated as a single combined unit for all rule purposes, save for exceptions listed here" and " A character can charge out of a unit, by declaring a charge in the relevant phase- in which case he will move and his unit will stay still-it is not permitted to declare a charge of its own, though it can move during remaining moves as normal"

just saying. I appreciate you guys but this really isnt controversial, its right there.

thesoundofmusica
07-05-2013, 04:58
"A character can charge out of a unit".
"A character" doesnt necessarily mean "one character" though right? It could apply to each character, "any character can charge...".

Declare charge with character A.
Now the combined unit cannot declare. Unless of course "a character can charge out..." is part of the exception to being "a single combined unit".

Knighted
07-05-2013, 18:12
Good questions and ones that I don't think you'll find definite answers to because the rules are written on the assumption that there's just one character you might want to charge out.

But for what it's worth I don't see any reason multiple characters can't charge out of a unit or charge multiple enemies.

Wow, this is the first time I disagree with ya. I'm shocked.

I like the first paragraph though!

Lord Inquisitor
07-05-2013, 18:57
Wow, this is the first time I disagree with ya. I'm shocked.

I like the first paragraph though!

Ha! Well, I can see the argument either way on this one. Although worth pointing out that Ben ruled for the Brawler Bash GT that you can charge multiple characters out. I was holding that as a possible surprise attack with my ogres. I know Ken used that trick with his gobbostar, someone blocked his unit with an eagle or something at the corner so he just fired gobbo heroes until they freaked out by around hero number 4 and chose to flee!

medevilmike
07-05-2013, 21:17
TSoM, the second a char declares a charge the rest of the unit(chars included) can no longer declare a charge. A or one makes no difference in this case as it is the same thing. saying "a char" means as many chars as you want is a pretty backwords way of looking at this.

Tourney organizers will interpret it as they please and im not one to argue with them, but i usually ask a good few questions before I make my lists for tourneys as these answers greatly effect my comp and army choice.