PDA

View Full Version : Nothing fancy, just High Elves 2500 pts

Knifeparty
05-05-2013, 17:18
Hey, so this is my first list with the new High Elves. Theres really nothing fancy here, just a solid battle line with good magic, shooting, and combat.

I was thinking about putting Caradryan with his Frost Phoenix in the list but he's as expensive as a unit of Sword Masters, so...I thought another big block of troops would be a better idea.

The everqueen goes into the unit of Swordmasters giving them a 5++ against non-magical attacks that can be boosted to 3++ with high magic's shield of saphery, as I think I will be taking High magic on her predominately due to amazing spells like drain magic and walk between worlds. I took the Banner of the world dragon on them too so they pretty much always have a ward save.

Phoenix Guard speak for themselves.

The Sea Guard are mid range support unit and can pick off enemy re-directors and annoying chaff, This gives me mid table control over the battle.

2 Bolt Throwers offer long range shooting support especially with the proliferation of Monstrous Cavalry in the game now. I wanted 3 but I decided to go for the 2 Eagles as I find their re-directing abilities outrageous.

The 6 Dragon Princes are there to offer some monster hunting ability with the flame banner or flank charges.

The Shadow Mage hopefully rolls withering or enfeebling foe to help support my shooting and combat. He also offers some protection with his dispel scroll.

High Elves: 2500 pts

Lords:

Alarielle the Everqueen: (Goes with Swordmasters)

Hero’s:

Noble: (Goes with Phoenix Guard)
Options: Battle Standard Bearer, Great Weapon
Magic Items: Armour of Caledor

Mage: (Goes with Sea Guard)
Options: Level 2
Magic Items: Dispel Scroll
Lore: Shadow

Core:

34 Sea Guard:
Options: Full Command, Shields

5 Ellyrian Reavers:
Options: Long bows, Spears, Musician

5 Ellyrian Reavers:
Options: Long bows, Spears, Musician

Special:

27 Sword Masters:
Options: Full Command
Banner: Banner of the World Dragon

20 Phoenix Guard:
Options: Full Command
Banner: N/A

6 Dragon Princes:
Options: Standard
Banner: Banner of Eternal Flame

Rare:

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

Jack Champion
05-05-2013, 21:02
Whilst Alarielle is cool I think an Archmage makes much better use of High Magic with the Book of Hoeth and a ToP for less points. Granted he doesn't have some of her cooler abilities, but his ability to play with dice will make for a much more economic magic phase and will give your L2 more room to manoeuvre. If you were to go that route you could place the AM in the Phoenix guard and all you need to do is get off two spells to be rocking a 2++ ward unit.

This brings me to the next unit set up I am unsure about: Swords Masters. Whilst Martial Prowess has added a little to them, point for point White Lions make much more use of a formation like the one you have. SM still make great flankers and MSU, but I do not think large blocks are an efficient use of their abilities. I think an equivalent unit of White Lions would be far more effective and add a stubborn rock to your army which makes better use of the BotWD. With the BSB in them they won't be going anywhere and your won't be missing it really as you will be keeping them together anywho.

The rest of the army looks really solid, I also like the inclusion of sea guard, though find they work much better in squads of 20 as they can be much more manoeuvrable and only give up 2 shots due to volley for this. Overall pretty solid and definitely works as is, the above suggestions are just personal preferences :)

Jack Champion
05-05-2013, 21:03
Oh with the addition of Martial Prowess, if you wanted to squeeze more shooting, multiple Archer units instead of LSG could work great, you will get more shots and they still get a respectable number of attacks, plus you are rocking two quite powerful blocks anyway a third might not be necessary. However you obviously know what style works for you!

Knifeparty
05-05-2013, 21:32
Thanks for the feedback.

I agree that white lions are a better choice all around to swordmasters, however, swordmasters have been my favourite high elf unit since I started the game and I sure as hell didn't buy 4 Islands of Blood for nothing lol. So for this reason I'm sticking with swordmasters.

Shield of Saphery doesn't stack beyond a 3++ ward save, so the phoenix guard will only benefit once from it, and they already have a 4++ naturally. I think beefing up that swordmaster units survivability is key here. Either way you slice it my opponent won't want to fight either unit. Not many units willingly get stuck in with phoenix guard because they know how survivable they are, with this army the Swordmasters become arguably more survivable in certain situations and are a stronger blender unit.

The Everqueen not only buffs the swordmaster's with a ward save, but she gives them magical attacks, immune to fear/panic, and has the ability to heal one wound to any character in 12" per turn. She's a really good deal points wise.

Jack Champion
06-05-2013, 07:26
Yeah she definitely is a great buy, I didn't release that it was limited to 3++ so I can see your logic there! If you get some games in post up how it performs, would like to see how the SM do! I definitely agree SM are far cooler fluff wise so can appreciate your desire to take them.

selecta
06-05-2013, 12:13
Drop the Banner of the World Dragon it is lame..

Bladelord
06-05-2013, 12:23
I'm a fan of Razor Standard on PG, sticking it out if you can find the points for it.

A little bit off-topic but the SM models look amazing if you give them cloaks.

If you know you're up against DoC I agree with selecta, else you should roll with it:)

Knifeparty
06-05-2013, 13:31

Lol!

I agree, however. This army was designed to win, I may be designing a Caledor List for fun games soon.

The reason I took it is because several people in my group play the Daemon Prince + like 8 Skull Crushers list. This Banner is effectively the answer to all those problems.

A little bit off-topic but the SM models look amazing if you give them cloaks.

Really? Which ones? The Phoenix Guard cloaks. I've never backed down from an expensive conversion before...