PDA

View Full Version : High Elf - New Book - C&C Please

Richmt11
06-05-2013, 10:31
Ok guys, so your gonna take this list as really boring as to be honest its not too dis-similar to how I ran my high elves previously.

I have 80 points left, and not short of models, so any suggestions I probably have the stuff! So advise what I should take out and what I should keep in!

Alarielle The Radient
Lore of High Magic

Mage
Level 2
Dispel Scroll
Steed
Barding
Lore of Life

Noble
BSB
Armour of Caledor
Great Weapon

Lothern Sea Helm
Bow
Shield of Merwyn
Crown of Atrazar
(Any cheap magic weapon to allow use of shields parry save, not currently included in points)

5 Ellyrian Reavers
Bows

5 Ellyrian Reavers
Bows

32 Lothern Sea Guard
Banner
Musician
Champion
Shields

21 Swordmasters of Hoeth
Musician
Banner
Banner of the World Dragon

21 Phoenix Guard
Musician
Standard

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

2320 Points

Im just at this stage looking at putting all of my characters in LSG in the centre, chaff round outside. PG to hold up what needs holding up, and SM to smash what needs smashing. I don't normally run so much shooting, normally have spearmen. But im thinking HE are looking more shooty now!

C&C Please.

tmarichards
06-05-2013, 10:43
HE in the new book will be struggling with armour, and your list is no exception- beyond the Bolt Throwers you have no way of hurting stuff with a 1+ save, and I really wouldn't suggest relying on Swordmasters as they're incredibly easy to kill outside of combat. 21 of them will of course do some damage, but you can't count on 21 being able to get into combat in a relevant game- it will be more like 10.

There are better options for the hero mage than Lore of Life, and having her on a horse doesn't make any sense.

Rather than kit your BSB out to survive in combat, I think you'd do better just keeping him out of combat and kitting him out to have an offensive ranged presence- Reaver Bow and Potion of Strength is a very nice build.

The Sea Helm really isn't very good.

The Reavers need musicians.

Lothern Seaguard are still pretty bad really. They did get better in the new book, but not enough to be worth taking over archers.

The Razor Standard in the Phoenix Guard will help them stand up to armour a bit better.

Leonathion
06-05-2013, 12:06
tmarichards

What would you suggest for dealing with high armour? DPs? WLs? More Bolt Throwers?

tmarichards
06-05-2013, 12:18
Pretty much, yes. Or, if you want a slightly less common route, a Star Dragon will get you S7 which is awesome or a Dragon Prince unit with Razor Standard and a Prince with Giant Blade will do some good damage.

Kahadras
06-05-2013, 12:35
I'd concider swapping the Swordmasters for White Lions and taking Lore of Beasts on the Mage if you're worried about not being able to deal with high armour save.

You could also look at a cheap mounted hero with Star Lance and Potion of Strength for a couple or rounds of strength 7 attacks.

Even a Prince with a great weapon will do the job.

Kahadras

Richmt11
06-05-2013, 13:29
Ok, so I reckon my High Elves have lost their first game without getting on the field after that dissection of the list :-) Thanks for the helpful replies.

So I have a few questions;

Swordmasters or White Lions? To be honest ive got about 40 Swordmasters and only 1 box of White Lions, its something ive had for a long while. But basically we are saying to keep the WL because +1 Str is better than +1 Attack?

Dismount Mage and give her lore of beasts for wildform?

Now if I take some sort of prince (especially mounted on dragon) I will not have the points for Alarielle, is that a better option?

Lothern Sea Guard or Spearmen or Archers? Whats the definitive answer? Are the RBT's even worth it considering 2 wounds only as opposed to having another block of archers/special choice?

Dragon Princes have never performed for me in the past, although I probably never used them right... So should I be including these guys just to deal with some 2+ save units?

I shelved my elves when O&G 8th edition book came out, so its hard to get back into them if im honest! Thanks Guys, ill await more replies and then ill post an amended list, thanks for the help :-)

Kahadras
06-05-2013, 13:48
Ok, so I reckon my High Elves have lost their first game without getting on the field after that dissection of the list :-) Thanks for the helpful replies.

Just remember that this is YOUR list. What works for me might not work for somebody else. The best advise I can give is play with the list as it is now and then if you feel it needs any tweaks then have a look at what other people sugest.

Swordmasters or White Lions? To be honest ive got about 40 Swordmasters and only 1 box of White Lions, its something ive had for a long while. But basically we are saying to keep the WL because +1 Str is better than +1 Attack?

It really depends what you're going up against. Against high toughness or a good armour save White Lions are better. Swordmasters are better at hitting units that are slightly less tough and that you are fairly confident you aren't going to get bogged down against. I prefer Swordmasters just on the fact that I used to run a Beasts Archmage and a High Mage and used to push a ward save onto them until they hit combat and then aim for Wildform as they then become White Lions but with more attacks.

Dismount Mage and give her lore of beasts for wildform?

IMHO Wildform is probably the best signature spell in the game.

Now if I take some sort of prince (especially mounted on dragon) I will not have the points for Alarielle, is that a better option?

Not really. Running a Prince and Dragon demands a lot of effort as you have to be so careful with him. He will suck up all of 25% of you Lord allowance and there are certain armies out there that will make him cry (basicaly anything that turns up with multiple cannon/warmachines). He's powerful but he has a lot more weaknesses than Alarielle.

Lothern Sea Guard or Spearmen or Archers? Whats the definitive answer?

There isn't one. Go for what feels right.

Dragon Princes have never performed for me in the past, although I probably never used them right... So should I be including these guys just to deal with some 2+ save units?

I'd include them as they're the best heavy cavalry that High Elves have. Lion Chariots are another option. Run them in pairs and dual charge stuff. I they both get in they'll generate 2D6 strength 5 impact hits; then the crew will get their 4 strength 6 attacks followed by the 8 White Lion attacks. These guys can cause problems for 2+ save units as they have the 'legs' to get the charge themselves.

Kahadras

Asuryan's Spear
06-05-2013, 16:31
I'd say RBT are worth it as 2 is 140 and no matter what you do will kill more than their equivalent points of archers... the 2 wound thing is largely immaterial... if they get engaged in combat they are done for... they have a bigger threat rnge and a higher strength...

as said above this is your army... do your own thing and no your game isnt lost before it starts. the only real flaw i've seen is against 1+ AS troops which are gonna be pretty rare in your opponents army, by this i mean 1 unit or so, and if your that worried i'd proxy a sky cutter with eagle eye... maybe even 2 as they ignore AS all together and are str 5 D3 wounds... perfect for monstrous cav.

unless your really relying on your sea helms reform ability i'd think about dropping him as he is expensive for what he gives you

Richmt11
06-05-2013, 19:11
Ok, so I have revised the list, as follows;

Alarielle The Radient
Lore of High Magic

Mage
Level 2
Dispel Scroll
Lore of Beasts

Noble
BSB
Heavy Armour
Steed w/ Barding
Shield
Lance

5 Ellyrian Reavers
Bows
Musician

5 Ellyrian Reavers
Bows
Musician

32 Lothern Sea Guard
Banner
Musician
Shields

21 Swordmasters of Hoeth
Musician
Banner
Banner of the World Dragon

20 Phoenix Guard
Musician
Banner
Razor Standard

6 Dragon Princes
Musician
Banner

Lion Chariot

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

2373 Points

I do get the whole its my list thing. To be honest I like to flesh it out online before I go and refine it in battle. This is because I don't wanna take something which I think I wanna give it a go (like the sea helm reform) and it come off well and thing wow hes an auto include or the other way around. So id rather weed out the rubbish now and know I got a half decent list before I start refining it to my playstyle in game...

So again any advice here is great. Don't know what to do with the remaining points, I could just chuck it into some more infantry to add to a unit.

Only real question here is the Lion Chariot gonna pay off more than 2 RBT? As if I drop the chariot it gives me 120pts which I can add to what I got left to buy 2 x RBT? With a sort of shooty list (with all those LSG) it would be more fitting to have the RBT but I like the idea of the lion chariot backing up to DP's into the higher toughness/armour save units...

Let me know :-)

Thamks,