PDA

View Full Version : The new Shadow Warriors / Sisters of Avelorn boxset

OllieC23
06-05-2013, 15:05
Hi all,
Im planning on getting some od the new SW for my HE. I see that they are a multi-kit box and wonder if its possible to actually make both units from the box.

I know that they will only come with 1 set of 10 legs but does it have enough torsos to make SW and SoA so you can switch if the mood takes you?

thanks,
Ollie

Blinder
06-05-2013, 15:21
Just going from the sprue pics on the GW site... it looks semi-possible, but you'd only have one set of cloaks as well (so, you might be able to do something using the front torsos + arms + heads tacked onto the leg/cloak half, but you're not going to be able to get much color differential unless you have the ability to greenstuff your own cloaks).

Someone who's had a closer look at how they fit together might be able to give an idea just how tricky DIY cloaks would be, though.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
06-05-2013, 15:24
If you have the exact same colour scheme aye, but the cloaks are required for both models, only the chest piece, heads and the arms are the pieces spare. I made up five of each yesterday, and I'd like to have words with the designer who says the Sisters can rank up neatly... hell even on the box they aren't able to. :D

The bearded one
06-05-2013, 15:42
I think you can magnetise the front torso's, heads, and the arms, but it is going to be quite a lot of effort in the end to pull this off and switching them every time.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
06-05-2013, 15:44
Oh aye you'd need to magnetise the heads as well, as the neck joint is in the cloak. (forgot that as I don't have the models with me, at work.)

OllieC23
06-05-2013, 16:13
Cheers for the replies. Nice of gw to charge for 20 model when you can only use 10.
At least i only really wanted to use the SW

GreenSpeed
06-05-2013, 16:29
You buy the box and a box of dark elf corsairs. Build the sisters using the kit. Then take the shadow warrior heads and arms and put them on the corsairs to get cheaper shadow warriors that way.

CrystalSphere
06-05-2013, 21:47
This is pretty low, even for GW. I am disgusted by these business practices.

The bearded one
06-05-2013, 22:09
This is pretty low, even for GW. I am disgusted by these business practices.

Why? Apart from the price, of course. It's not like this is the first multi-kit.

In_Fiction
06-05-2013, 22:31
Goldswords anyone? It's not like you are specifically paying for the top torsos of the other troop type. It seems that a lot of the 8th edition plastics come with 2 options to build from the set and this one is no different.

Stimpson J Cat
07-05-2013, 08:42
You know, McDonalds uses three sizes, because people tend to pick the middle one. IF only two sizes were offered, more people'd go for small. Maybe GW thinks the same? Yes, they may well know the price is outrageous, but it makes the goldswords / goldigors / goldwhatevers look more reasonably priced and thus increase total revenue. Just thinking....:shifty:

Iron_Lord
07-05-2013, 11:43
It seems that a lot of the 8th edition plastics come with 2 options to build from the set and this one is no different.

Indeed. And it's not just Warhammer. 40K has been going through the same process.

GlenMorray
07-05-2013, 12:14
Seems logical to me, reduces costs and the models are freeking sweet, no complaints here.

CrystalSphere
07-05-2013, 12:17
Why? Apart from the price, of course. It's not like this is the first multi-kit.

I know there have been plenty of multi-kits, however this one takes the cake in giving you loads of spare parts that are very hard to make use of. Itīs one thing to get little flavour bits that are easy to spread along your army, but if you get 10 extra torsos, arms and heads, you better get some legs from somewhere, or those bits are effectively useless. And then you go to a bit store to buy some legs and get ripped off, or you sculpt them, because no normal company sells "28mm figures legs, perfect for assembling half-done GW miniatures". And if you buy any GW kit to put legs on those torsos, well, you got another whole new set of useless torsos.

Veshnakar
07-05-2013, 13:17
I know there have been plenty of multi-kits, however this one takes the cake in giving you loads of spare parts that are very hard to make use of. Itīs one thing to get little flavour bits that are easy to spread along your army, but if you get 10 extra torsos, arms and heads, you better get some legs from somewhere, or those bits are effectively useless. And then you go to a bit store to buy some legs and get ripped off, or you sculpt them, because no normal company sells "28mm figures legs, perfect for assembling half-done GW miniatures". And if you buy any GW kit to put legs on those torsos, well, you got another whole new set of useless torsos.

You are just complaining at this point. Has this ever not been the case? Its like complaining about getting extra heads in a core box set and not having more legs or torsos to go with them. This has ALWAYS been the case, and I for one love the extra bits! If I got JUST what I needed to make 5 models I would be pretty disappointed and so would my huge bit box. Do like everyone else; there are tons of places online/ on ebay to buy bits like legs and torsos.

Arthanor
07-05-2013, 16:00
It's actually a relevant observation. If GW puts an extra 5 heads for variation in a box of 10 models, that's a tiny extra expense (because they will charge you for it) and they also will make a silly big point of their kit being so awesome because of having the extra options to sell more. But in the end, it's still only a tiny expense so who cares? Same for variations of weapons.

The issue comes when you pay extra to get a lot of extra that is unusable. In this case, it's a 20% increase in price (for me, I assume it scales to other currencies) to give you extra bits that are not there for variation, but for a completely different unit. Selling two different boxes which share 1 sprue of legs and cloaks, but have different sprues of arms, torsos and heads would have been the decent thing to do. At the same price as the other boxes which make elite infantry.

Selling one box that wastes bits and charging more for it is typical GW taking advantage of customers. They give you plastic that costs nothing and get more from you, all because they can't package their product properly.

boli
07-05-2013, 16:07
Actually those corsairs are looking pretty good as a method to get both sets, so its Ģ45 for 20 instead of Ģ30 for 10... still *really* expensive tho.

loveless
07-05-2013, 16:23
It's the type of extra bits included in the kit that makes this seem like it should have been 2 cheaper kits. The units share legs and cloaks/backs. They have their own unique heads, arms, weapons, and chests. When the unique bits outweigh the shared bits, you have to ask if it's worth tying the 2 units together. Clearly GW thought it was, but you still end up with a silly amount of leftovers that won't easily find a place in other units in your army.

This is the worst example of GW's multi-kits, just barely beating out the Grey Knights in Power Armor, who seemed to have been custom-designed from a rules perspective to add in as many previously non-existent options as possible, including nonsense "jump packs" that take up half the frame :p

The good news is, the kits all look damn good :)

Bladelord
07-05-2013, 16:30
Wow I just realised this pack'll actually be worth getting for its unreasonable prize. Amazing models and if I want 20 models from it in total I just have to convert my own legs and cloaks, & the latter one I already do:)

Xentarus
08-05-2013, 16:07
The kit is a bit of a pain, really. I found it very fiddly, delicate and over complicated for the lack of variety and poseability that you receive. Plus it is quite bad for mould lines, on the quiver in particular. That said, the models are stunners.

Miredorf
08-05-2013, 18:19
I dunno, i find the shadow warriors very nice and fitting, but those sisters look really really lazy. All models look almost the same and with the same pose... I dont even know why make it multipart actually.

Shadow warriors look really good, however, even with the silly lazy combo sword+bow on each hand.