PDA

View Full Version : Caledor High Elf army

Astraeos
06-05-2013, 18:39
Hey,

I was wondering where to start with a Caledor themed High Elf force, I already have the IoB box, a handful of metal heroes and a box of Dragon Princes ordered.

I'd like to include a Dragon in it somewhere, but I'd like to hit the line between fluff and viability! It shouldn't be too hard once I get past a dragon, some Dragon Princes and a colour scheme right?

SteveW
06-05-2013, 18:48
Lord on dragon, dragon mage, Dragon princes, spearmen, and archers...done

RTGamer
06-05-2013, 19:05
You could even run the phoenix's as dragon riders!

Boreas_NL
06-05-2013, 19:56
I have no clue about Elves, but I am looking forward to another fantasy plog by you!

Astraeos
06-05-2013, 20:56
@SteveW- Ahh, that's it huh? Thank you though, I know what I'll be working with now! I may add Silver Helms and Bolt Throwers to spice it up a little!

@RTGamer- I don't plan on going 'counts as', but that idea was a good one. Cheers!

@Boreas_NL- Oh dear, guess I'd better try and paint stuff this time round!

Bladelord
06-05-2013, 20:59
Repeater Bolt Throwers also fits the theme, they're everywhere over Ulthuan in the fluff:) the same goes for LSG & Reaver Knights as they're patrolling the coasts.

Astraeos
06-05-2013, 21:08
Lothern Sea Guard and Ellyrian Reavers? How weird, I just finished looking through my IoB set and thought "Nothing but this mage could be used in a Caledor themed army" and returned to my laptop and check amy mail. Saw there was a new post and it's this!
Seems my IoB was a better starting point than I thought!

EDIT- Looking at this map, Caledor's neighbours are Tiranoc, Ellyrion and Eataine. Not sure what I can get from that last one but it's proximity to Tiranoc and Ellyrion is a reason to include Reavers and Chariots!
http://whfb.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/2/25/UlthuanPolitics.jpg

EDIT 2 - Had a look, Eataine's capital is Lothern. So Sea Guard and flying chariots are in!

CrystalSphere
06-05-2013, 21:42
I think the best way to get across the Caledor theme around the army is through the paintjob (using the provincial colours) and draconic symbols on shields and banners. I would in fact find more believable a caledorian army with few dragons (like only 1) but plenty of caledorian symbols. When i picture Caledor i imagine Bretonnnia but in elven style, with many proud knigths helped by the militias, with some monsters/auxiliaries thrown in.

Astraeos
06-05-2013, 22:43
That's a good theme to run with.

rmb43
07-05-2013, 00:57
I have been working on a Caledor theme as well. I converted some Tiranoc chariots into Caledor ones using horse heads and elf heads from the dragon prince kit. I converted "eagle claw" bolt throwers into Caledor bolt throwers by replacing the eagle head portion of the bolt thrower with a head from a lizardmen cold one, and the rear portion of the bolt thrower with the tip of a tail from the HE dragon kit. I'd like to build some Phoenix Guard also using dragon prince heads, but not sure it's worth the money. :) I am also looking for more ideas, so anyone's suggestions are welcome!

NitrosOkay
07-05-2013, 01:19
At least the Dragon Mage is a bit more useful this time around since you can get him a 2+ save and his dragon has a 3+ armour and S4 breath weapon now. Gem of Sunfire for a strength 5 breath weapon on the dragon isn't bad either!

Astraeos
07-05-2013, 07:49
@rmb43- I may consider the chariot idea! I did come to the conclusion that adjoining lands may send reinforcements as needed though.

@NitrosOkay- Thanks for the tips!

Kahadras
07-05-2013, 18:53
Caledor?

Lord = Prince on a Dragon

Hero = Dragon Mage

Core = Silver Helms (Caldor nobility)

Special = Dragon Princes

Rare = Eagles and Frostheart Phoenixes from the mountains.

Jobs a good 'un.

Kahadras

Astraeos
07-05-2013, 19:22
Silver helms are core now? (still waiting on my book)
I've never done a cavalry army before, this could be interesting....

Iron_Lord
07-05-2013, 19:28
They are. And so are Ellyrion Reavers.

Now that virtually everything gets Martial Prowess, I could see big 15 man cavalry blocks becoming popular.

Astraeos
07-05-2013, 19:41
Martial prowess?
Cavalry armies are one thing I've never tried before, and cavalry is something I've barely used!

Iron_Lord
07-05-2013, 19:45
The ability to gain Supporting attacks from an extra rank to normal.

Also, the ability to fire with an extra rank to normal.

This makes most units that bit harder-hitting.

theJ
07-05-2013, 20:10
I've been using Sea Guard as my core, myself. Sure, they're technically Eataine units, but the dragon motif fits really well with Caledor - far better than the moons, stars, hearts, and whatnot you find in the other kits.

I'm also on the side of those who say that a Caledor army shouldn't be packed full of dragons. They're a symbol of the realm, sure, but an army with more than one of them is almost unheard of, no matter where it's from. Likewise, I'd never field more than one unit of Dragon Princes - because there's only supposed to exist a single unit of them in total.
Sadly, this leaves me a little short on actual iconic choices.... I do wish we'd have something more than our elites to our identity....

Astraeos
07-05-2013, 20:12
Eataine is next to Caledor anyway, that's my reasoning! It would be nice to have a Caledor foot unit of some sort.

Tiu
07-05-2013, 20:18
They're a symbol of the realm, sure, but an army with more than one of them is almost unheard of, no matter where it's from. Likewise, I'd never field more than one unit of Dragon Princes - because there's only supposed to exist a single unit of them in total.
Sadly, this leaves me a little short on actual iconic choices.... I do wish we'd have something more than our elites to our identity....

Umm... whered you get that idea? :wtf: