PDA

View Full Version : What chaos legion do you play as and why

flying land raider
07-05-2013, 09:58
I've posted this thread to see how many people play each chaos legion

LordofShadows
07-05-2013, 10:13
I dont really play a Chaos Legion I play my own warband :) however if I was to play one it would be either world eaters splinter warband word bearers or iron warriors

Tzen
07-05-2013, 11:14
Word Bearer!

I just love the idea of fallen priests. Its strikingly close to real life! :P

From a background point of view, I think they are in the same boat as Magnus and the Thousand Sons. If only they had been shown a little more understanding, the whole thing could have been avoided...

skorczeny
07-05-2013, 11:20
Black Legion.

I started in 2nd edition, and the 2nd edition chaos codex had pictures of converted Black Legion terminators alongside Abbadon, which was cool.

But one model pictured in the dex sold me: There was also a black legion aspiring champion converted from a codex space marine sergeant - it was perfect: a space marine mini was corrupted to a chaos mini - and a space marine was corrupted to chaos aspiring champion - all at once. It blew my young mind.

Plus the John Blanche sketch book section suggested some awesome Black Legion conversions.

Azulthar
07-05-2013, 11:31
Word Bearer!

I just love the idea of fallen priests. Its strikingly close to real life! :P

From a background point of view, I think they are in the same boat as Magnus and the Thousand Sons. If only they had been shown a little more understanding, the whole thing could have been avoided...
Same here. I love the concept of struggling with faith, and the tragedy of Lorgar and his Legion. That the most soft-spoken and war-averse of the Primarchs was the first to fall also speaks to me.

Lorgar did something that none of his brothers would have done in his place. He released the weapon, leaving it undrawn, and took a calming breath.

Or, as Malcador the Sigillite puts it:

"Do you know, out of them all, if I could have saved just one - it would have been Lorgar. Even though he despises me, and even though I was... wounded by him. He was such a fragile soul. So subtle, and ready to bruise."

The "weakling Primarch", according to many. Yet when he finally finds his truth, he easily becomes as scary as his brothers:

Lorgar narrowed his eyes at Horus's restraining grip on his shoulder.
+ Remove your hand, Horus + he sent.
Horus obeyed, though he tried not to. The Warmaster's fingers shivered as they withdrew, and his grey eyes flickered with unhidden tension.

I admit, I'm a fanboy :D

Knifeparty
07-05-2013, 11:41
Black Legion.

Apart from being the coolest colour scheme in warhammer, They offer the biggest organized traitor threat to the Imperium. They have an awesome history, were lead by the greatest Primarch and do what is necessary to get the job done.

Vector Strike
07-05-2013, 11:51
Thousand Sons. For me, their fluff is the best amongst the Legions. (looking forward to collect them for HH series)

In 40k TT, I'll mix them with Emperor's Children for more effectiveness (gotta love those blasters)

Kijamon
07-05-2013, 12:50
Death Guard - sombre, relentless, ever moving forwards and resilient.

Then Nurgle took them and made them "better".

The perfect trap.

flying land raider
07-05-2013, 12:52
Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that I play word bearers

Worldeaters
07-05-2013, 13:10
World Eaters - because I'm a stubborn idiot.

LordofShadows
07-05-2013, 13:12
Il admit I am considering doing a Death guard army so I can have it led by Typhus :)

Cheexsta
07-05-2013, 13:25
World Eaters.

There is something satisfyingly primal about vicariously hitting people with chainsaw axes.

Wise Guy Sam
07-05-2013, 13:38
Night Lords

ADB gave me the final push I needed to play this murderous mob.

Just about finished 1500 points after starting them pretty much when the new dex dropped. I love the colours, I love scalvaging armour from a number of marine kits and really enjoy the character of the legion.

Johnnya10
07-05-2013, 13:50
Death Guard - About 4000 points of now!
After spending quite a lot of time with the Emperor's Children, I wanted to try something new. I found a great technique for doing a ruined white, and a good metallic green mix. After that, I just got really into making things look putrid and disgusting. :)

From the gaming perspective, having loads of Plague Marines and Typhus does make you pretty hard to kill. And with Flyers, I like to take Blight Drones (when allowed) and Heldrakes - Heldrakes look particularly good when you mess them up a bit a la Nurgle.

It's good fluff, good colours, good models (especially FW's kits) and it can help even the least competitive gamer play in a competitive style. Nice.

flying land raider
07-05-2013, 13:54
Johnnya10 awesome army. My mate plays the purge and he has way too many plague marines

Ssilmath
07-05-2013, 14:09
Thousand Sons, though an offshoot that are still recruiting to bolster their numbers and have a high proportion of Possessed and Spawn.

Night Lords as well, mercs who work as a fast strike unit for the slower, footslogging Thousand Sons.

Bonzai
07-05-2013, 15:36
I play Word Bearers. I picked them up for several reasons. First, I loved the possessed models, and that seemed like their thing. Second, of all the Legions, they are the true believers. They are in the war out of faith, which makes them one of the scarier legions.

flying land raider
07-05-2013, 15:42
Bonzai fellow word bearer

M@L@L
07-05-2013, 15:53
Nice to see the majority actually play things besides EC and DG. Myself, I have mostly collected Iron Warriors or World Eaters over the years. Iron Warriors I actually like for the paint scheme and the actual fictional versions of their sieges. Storm of Iron is still one of my favourite Black Library novels.

As for World Eaters, I guess I am just a sucker for Khorne. I also love the ease of conversion we have going with them too, since they have the only existing cult plastics to date.

The Highlander
07-05-2013, 16:04
I play Iron Warriors because have a very similar personality to them (very intelligent, logical and methodical as well as slightly paranoid), and also because my preferred method of fighting is a slow brutal siege.

And the numerous big guns help as well!

M@L@L
07-05-2013, 16:21
I forgot to add I also like the cybernetics aspect of the IWs, replacing mutations with such things due to them seeing deviations of the flesh as a weakness. It's the only reason I plan on including possessed in my army, due to how the 3.5 dex describes IW possessed. :)

Jayden63
07-05-2013, 17:05
Emperor's Children, because I5 is awesome, sonic weapons are awesome, and the old metal Damonettes are just sexy.

I started this army with Chaos 3.5. And while I never ran Siren on anything a Slannesh DP with dread axe and some select toys was the total bomb and could eat anything on the table. The army played exactly how I always envisioned a 40K era army to fight. Strong shooty and merciless HTH element. So much fun.

Ozendorph
07-05-2013, 17:53
World Eaters. I really like the aesthetic, and while there's certainly a very brutal overtone to them, I try to preserve the martial honor/skill aspect as well. I have a warband centered around Lord Zhufor and his terminator retinue that totals up around 3000 points. I also have about 3000 points of Khornate daemons, and a couple super heavy daemon engines just to ensure there are no survivors ;)

Also (crank volume to 11): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xqOf-KjdVY

Endobai
07-05-2013, 18:05
Alpha Legion from pre-Heresy, Heresy and post-Heresy era, but with nothing really chaotic about them.
One unit of Veteran Tactical Marines is using Ultramarines colour scheme with concealed AL shoulder pads (sculptured by a friend and multiplied by another) and cleverly ( I think) hidden Legion Vexilla.

Night Lord warband combined with Fallen Dark Angel veterans to use some brilliant models from the DV. A lot of tension in the force with some house rules to reflect it.

Both armies designed using HH: Betrayal and anticipating future developments in this series, hopefully correctly.

Insane Psychopath
07-05-2013, 18:07
Iron Warriors

Been collecting the IV Legion for over ten years now (Nov 17th 2001) & have also been my main force when it come to collecting & gaming. Always enjoy there background, novels & there style of warfare. Also who else can have ten-man squad watched over a disgruntled population of 130 million :D I also collect Chaos Space Marines due to converting models has always been the main part of the hobby for me back when I started 16 year ago.

My current Iron Warriors force, I am on Mk6 right now due to painting skills improve over the years, wanted to try out things like Forge World weather powder & GW release a lot of cool new kits for converting. It is around 5000pts with 120 models & 15 tanks all fully painted & converted, there still a lot more I will be adding to my army.

IP

FashaTheDog
07-05-2013, 18:20
I play Imperial Fists with elements of Dark Angels, Raven Guard Tzeentch Raptors, and Space Wolf Berserkers. I plan to add a unit of Blood Angels Plague Marines and some White Scars Slaaneshi Bikers soon. The army will be something of a sampler platter with Sigismund leading it as a counts as Abbadon. As you can see from the attached pictures of some of my models, my Chaos army is a Dornian Heresy one, but I do have some Iron Warriors and Night Lords, but they're not my main Chaos army. I still need to come up with something to put on Ragnar the Betrayer's banner and order some Raven Guard water slides from Forgeworld, but despite that, what I have looks good.

lordreaven448
07-05-2013, 18:21
It's a 3 way tie for me between the World Eaters, Thousand Sons, Word Bearers.

Colonel Kolm
07-05-2013, 18:46
Death Guard. ive always loved the nurgle fluff and ive been running a fluf fbased DG army for as long as i can remember. oh and i really like the forgeworld models which while expensive got me to finally make the army.

TheDungen
07-05-2013, 19:17
"Fallen angels arise
from your graves
free your sprits and unite
from the ruins of hell
we shall rise
one the edge of honour" (http://youtu.be/ZElLAuSub3I)

That's what I play and why.

Explanation: they are the perefct heavy metal chapter trapped soemwhere between light and darkness, forced to rely on themselves only and acknowledging no authority besides themselves. The imperium may have gone amd and the forces of chaos are even worse, and these guys are far from heroes but they work very well as antiheroes.
There are just so many more stories you can tell when your characters aren't trapped on either of the sides.

Xeen
07-05-2013, 19:38
Thousand Sons, more specifically Prodigal Sons (Arhiman's legion) with Tzeentch allies. Love the fluff for these guys.

totgeboren
07-05-2013, 20:13
Word Bearers. I have loved their fluff since the 2ed chaos codex. Sadly my main fascination was that they were entirely Undivided on an individual level, and that background remained all through 3ed and 4th ed. But now suddenly GW seems to want to remove the entire idea of chaos undivided, which makes the WB into red black legion. Still, I just chose to ignore it, and my holy warriors can continue to spread the faith. :)

minionboy
07-05-2013, 20:29
I was going to do Red Corsairs, but I ended up with Black legion... There's something satisfying about being THE bad guy of the 41st millenium... Plus I like my Abaddon conversion.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
07-05-2013, 20:31
I used to only want to run Iron Warriors. But nowadays I find myself wanting to add a squad or two from every legion and a few homemade renegade squads just for some variety.

I've got about 8,000 points so far and painting silver, black, gold and chevrons can get a bit dull. Iron Warriors will always be my favourites though.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
07-05-2013, 21:49
A World Eaters splinter warband. There's something undeniably satisfying about getting a depleted squad of berserkers in combat and winning handily, about dropping in a big unit of terminators with a chaos lord just to wreak havoc and kill, maim, and burn through the heart of their lines, about rushing forward through a hail of fire just to show the cowards on the other side of the table how real men fight, and about seeing a large dead pile on both sides.

Mit Gas
07-05-2013, 22:29
I play Thousand Sons. Started long before GW changed the fluff and when they were rather tragic villains. That fact and the 2nd ed sculpt really appealed to me... nowadays I love them outta habit I guess.

However I actually like quite a few legions (Emperor's Children are twisted bastards (and their strive for perfection is something that reflects me very well), WE are awesome for just being completely mad, Word Bearers (like another poster said) are the scariest due to being truly devoted servants of the Dark Gods, Alpha Legion look quite lovely, Night Lords are pure scum, etc.) , the only ones I don't really like are the Black Legion and Iron Warriors. All others have something that is great in my eyes. So I might start incorporating some of those units into my pure TS force.

Fortheempire
12-05-2013, 17:25
Thousand Sons. I like their background and I hate the SW so it was a 2-4-1 deal for me. Iron Warriors is a close 2nd (Storm
Of iron, what a book)

Dominatrix
12-05-2013, 17:49
Started playing during 3rd edition, I have 3 sizable legion armies, currently comfortably resting in glass displays between apocalypse matches. Anxiously waiting for the FW HH minis and books to bring them back to life. Word Bearers, Iron Warriors and Thousand Sons. I chose them because they all had a different playstyle, I loved their background (especially Thousand Sons) and in the case of IW their close ties to dark mechanicum / cybernetics etc.

Polaria
12-05-2013, 18:13
I play a home-brewn heretek renegade warband.

Bad monkey
12-05-2013, 18:15
Emperors children, can't beat the emperors finest falling so far that the become inter galactic space perverts.

fgsfds-
12-05-2013, 18:24
The Flawless Host. It was pretty much the first chapter I stumbled upon when I was looking into CSM.

FashaTheDog
12-05-2013, 18:37
Pictures, people, picture; I showed you some of mine, you show me some of yours.

agurus1
12-05-2013, 20:54
IRON WITHIN! IRON WITHOUT!!!!

I play Iron Warriors (obviously). To me their gritty, meticulous, tenacious, and unstinting resolve is what appeals. Not to mention their policy of applying overwhelming firepower to any problem and extensive use of fortifications. Also they hail from a somewhat Roman/Greek-esq background which I like, and their fluff is great especially how they handled Perturabo in Angel Exterminatus.

Basically... whats not to like?

agurus1
12-05-2013, 20:57
Also who else can have ten-man squad watched over a disgruntled population of 130 million :D
IP

also this ;)

Fortheempire
12-05-2013, 21:07
I always imagined that Perutabo's apartment in Terra (For the life of me can't recall what book that's mentioned in) would have a bed fort bristling with Nerf weaponry haha

EDIT - Slightly off-topic but I just remembered thinking that. Sorry :)

agurus1
12-05-2013, 21:11
hahaha yes that is great! Although I do love the description of his private sanctum deep inside his command bunker, with all of those ancient books, diagrams and artifacts

Fortheempire
12-05-2013, 21:21
Sanginius would be the closet case I think. Lots of 1D posters and excessive singing into his hairbrush. Perutabos inner sanctum? What's that from?

Bobthemime
12-05-2013, 21:48
Sanginius would be the closet case I think. Lots of 1D posters and excessive singing into his hairbrush.

Im pretty sure that was fulgrim from the description of his quarters in Fulgrim

Oh and my Legion is Thousand Sons, which are still being built atm.. so no piccies sorry.

Fortheempire
12-05-2013, 23:07
Forgot about Fulgrim :( he always seemed to be the Ned Flanders IMO

agurus1
12-05-2013, 23:30
Sanginius would be the closet case I think. Lots of 1D posters and excessive singing into his hairbrush. Perutabos inner sanctum? What's that from?

from Angel Exterminatus, its a command bunker that he has turned the interior into a massive labyrinth at the center of which is his inner sanctum of sorts. the is a scene in it after the defeat of the Imperial Fist garrison at the start of the book

Fortheempire
12-05-2013, 23:44
Ahhhh I see. I really must find a place in the Isle of Man that does the HH books past Legion :(

NurglesRot
13-05-2013, 02:36
I play Death Guard legion. After reading Flight of the Eisenstien I was hooked and started the army the very next day!

Astartes consumed by disease and hatred for all living things with only a desire to spread their plague and suffering in the name of Nurgle. Such an awesome background and really lent itself to my creative side, very proud the way my heavily converted Death Guard turned out! :D