PDA

View Full Version : Help with making a 2,500 TK Army List

K-Yeo
07-05-2013, 13:47
Hey, I'm new here, and I'm also new to Tomb Kings. I've read every TK list on this forum, gathered an idea with what to avoid but unsure what to include. All I've figured from the posts is avoid Skeleton Warriors and Ushabti like the plague, whilst focus on archers, chariots, big hordes of TG and invest in some warstatues (Scorpions, Warsphinx, Knights, etc.). Also that Liche Priests are a necessity in a TK force.

Could TK veterans suggest any army lists that work for them? I would appreciate it a lot! Also are the Necrosphinx and Stalkers worth taking? I like the models, but with the current pricing over here in Australia, I don't/can't be buying anything I won't be using. So far the only things I have are a Liche Priest and 6 chariots.

Please help- suggestions are much welcomed! Thank you :)

EDIT: I forgot to add that I'd like some warstatues in the army, just to work on a theme. May Sigmar bless the dice you roll :)

Methios
08-05-2013, 21:43
I am no vet. But i would suggest:

Khatep
Archer bunker.
4 snakes
4 chariots
Big block of tg with prince and ramothep.
2 SCC
Casket

As a base. And tailor that to your liking. Keep core to the minimum.

K-Yeo
09-05-2013, 11:06
Thanks for responding! I shall definitely take this into consideration. In the mean time, may good dice rolls come your way :)

Juicy21
09-05-2013, 12:14
I m not fond of using special chars and i think the tombkings can do without it.

on the tombking forum i found this it might help you a lot!

I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THIS AND I DIDNT WRITE IT. JUST COPY PAST.. Hope this isnt against the rules.

Well, one of the first things most experienced TK players noticed is that this army, while good when used properly, can be horrible if you don’t make good use of his synergies. That’s why I’m trying here to make a basic list of the combinations that do work, for new players.
I will list the basic units that make this synergy’s work. Improvements to this synergy, like SC, will be mentioned as extra. Then the basic strategy, finishing with a short analysis of advantage and disadvantage of the build.

At last, there is a small section with general tricks to use with or that can be used against TK.

Council of light:
List: HLP 3(light) + 4x LP lvl 1(light) + Heirotitan
Cost: 665
Strategy: Get banishment, spam light magic, kill at distance high toughness/AS units.
Pros: Really good at killing monstrous cavalry (demigryphs, mourfangs), monsters and warmachines.
Cons: Depends on the flickering winds of magic.

Double snakes:
List: 2 units of 5+ NK + HLP lvl 4(light) + Necrotect
Cost: 960
Strategy: Buff NK with light magic, maintain necrotect in 12” range, charge and destroy most targets.
Pros: Mobile and threatening units.
Cons: If pitted against MI/MC killers (high strength units) the Snakes will be done.
Extra: Ramhotep makes this combo considerably better, granting rerollable armor save to one snake unit. In this case, can’t take other animated constructs.

Terror bombing:
List: 2xSSC(skull of the foes) + HLP lvl 4(death) + Sphinx x 2 + archers(40+)
Cost: 1150
Strategy: Castle up, cast D&D on important unit, kill characters, make the enemy roll lots of terror and panic checks between the SSC, terror charges and magic/shooting damage.
Pros: Can break havoc on some armys (O&G, skaven, other low ld armys).
Cons: Depends on successfully casting key spells before the enemy reaches your lines (~2 turn). Enemy’s immune to psychology make this combo almost useless.
Extra: Arkham make this strategy better.

Golden Mask:
List: Tomb king with golden mask on chariot & charmed shield + 5 chariots + HLP lvl 4(death).
Cost: 1150
Strategy: debuff important unit, charge with king (don’t overextend), win combat by a lot, break them without BSB nor IP.
Pros: Can break big steadfast horde units easily on the first turn.
Cons: If you don’t break them, the unit will probably die. Vulnerable to concentrated shooting/warmachines. Useless against unbreakeable units. Can only be used in high point games.
Extra: Arkham improves chances of casting D&D and reduces points in Lord.

Monster mash:
List: 3x Warsphinx + 2x Necrosphynx + Necrotect
Cost: 1140
Strategy: Saturate your enemy with T8 construct, so he can’t deal with them. (Most armies have 1-2 units that can deal with Sphinxes). Double charge against units so they don’t crumble you.
Pros: Multiple mobile units. Good against elite units.
Cons: Really bad against high strength (warmachines, banishment, blender lords) attacks or poison.
Extra: light buffs improves this build considerably.

Gunline:
List: Catapult x2 + big archers units (30+) + 2x4 chariots + 2xcasket
Cost: 990
Strategy: Castle up on a corner, cast smite, open casket + archer fire + catapults to try and kill/panic enemy units before they reach you. Chariots are there to shoot and dissuade enemies from advancing too fast.
Pros: Can deny points and kill units, getting wins that way.
Cons: Can be outgunned by typical Gunlines. If reached by sufficient units, it dies easily.
Extra: Kalida in a giant horde of archers improves the killiness a lot.

TG Deathstar:
List: 40 TG with halberds + defensive Prince + banner of swiftness/razor
Cost: 715/735
Strategy: Advance, kill.
Pros: chew up armored units (great problem for TK, specially the MC/MI) among other thing.
Cons: slow, unwilding, expensive unit. Not really good against T7+ monsters.
Extra: Ramhotep make this strategy better, granting hatred & frenzy to the TGs. 1/2 Necrotect can grant hatred to this unit too. A King can improve this unit against WS5/6 units.

Tricks
Also, some neat tricks that can be done with/against TK are included here:
- In a Chariot unit a in three wide formation taking a FC pushes characters initially to the second rank.
- Champions are the first ressed unit, so challenging MC/MI champions or characters can save rank-and-file models.
- Put your characters on the sides of hordes. That way if you charge, you can assure that only 1 enemy unit makes contact, minimizing attacks against the character.
- Receiving a charge with a infantry block lets you get a magic round on the next turn instead of in 2 turn. downsides of this are: This is not advised against enemies with impact hits, lances or other significant bonus on charge. Enemy will be able to select how he charges, making difficult to protect characters.
- Skullstorm can be used to restrict the movement of the enemy (units cant move voluntarily over the template).
- Skullstorm/Purple Sun are RiP, and can generate power dices when using the Enkhil's Kanopi.
- Champions on Chariots/MC/MI, since they can be ressed, have a decent chance of killing heroes in challenge, granting extra VP. Also can give deny enemy rank-and-file attacks/kills in close combat due to forced attack-allocation issues.
- Sepulchral Stalkers can enter buildings, increasing their LOS to 360 degrees & their range (by the base of the building).
- D&D increases light of death killiness.
- Ten skeletons with a champion in a conga line with the champ in front will tie a unit for 2 turns. If healed, will last 3. Less useful against models with multiple iniciative.
- deploying monster sideways can grant an additional 1” of movement and make them a bit less susceptible to cannon shooting.

Constructive comments are encouraged, to improve this list and help other TK players.

Edit: fixed mistake on golden mask.
Edit 2: Added cost to all synergies and const to golden mast
Edit 3: As popularly requested, added a "Tricks" section. Thanks to herozero and AnHeiro and the people from "Dirty Tricks" for some of them

Enigmatik1
09-05-2013, 12:35
I'm going to have to disagree with Juicy in that the TK special characters are all perfectly fine and none of them can even remotely be considered broken or unbalanced like the special characters of days gone by...especially the Lords. It gets a little dicier once you get to Heroes. Ramhotep is very powerful in a Tomb Guard block with your only constructs in the list being Necropolis Knights for obvious reasons, but Nekaph is very situational and hard to use (but not necessarily bad) and Prince Apophas (or Prince Apoo-poo, as I call him) is one of the worst (as in awful) special characters of any stripe I've ever seen (awesome model and fluff though).

When starting a TK army, especially under your circumstances in regard to pricing, you want to think long and hard about what kind of list you want to run before you really start investing. The army can pretty much do everything, but none of it exceedingly well by virtue of, quite frankly, poorly thought and counter-intuitive rules. We can overcome this, mind you...it just takes careful planning to do so. So we'd really need to know what sort of list appeals to you before offering any further input, but the rundown of list options Juicy provided (which are from the Tomb King forum, btw) is an excellent place to start.

K-Yeo
09-05-2013, 12:50
Thanks, this is really helpful! Praise to the author(s) and yourself for posting it on here. I will definitely be incorporating some of those combos and using those dirty tricks. This will help a lot in making a list myself, thanks again! May Ptra bless the dice you roll!!

K-Yeo
09-05-2013, 13:11
Enigmatik1, thanks for responding. Yes, longevity has to be considered with this army due to the cost of GW products down here. I'm quite fond of war statues, but the list Juicy21 put up might change my stance on this as the war statues, other than NecroKnights, don't feature much in that list. I've been strongly urged by some players to avoid Ushabti like the plague, and that the Colossus, and to some extent the Necrosphinx (would be a shame as I love the model), aren't worth considering often, as well as Stalkers (also like these models). I hear good things about Tomb Scorpions and Warsphinxes though, along with Hierotitan if played in a magic-heavy army. Is this good advice?

However, I'm more open too/would rather play a competitive force that would be money well spent in the long run (tournies, etc.). I'm willing to forego pretty (and expensive) war statues if they aren't going to benefit my army in the game much. I like the sound of a few of those combos, in particular Gunline and TG Deathstar. To add, I currently own 6 chariots and a liche priest, so I'm keen on using them (although doesn't sound like I won't be in the case of LP).

Thanks again Enigmatik1 :)

Juicy21
09-05-2013, 13:52
Np,

my brother uses 3 x colossus and it works well for him.. But i have to say in my gamegroup we have very little cannons;)

K-Yeo
09-05-2013, 14:18
Haha need to find a good gaming group down here, too many 40k players gaah assuming not many Empire or Dwarf players then? Ptra for the win :)

-Totenkopf-
09-05-2013, 14:47
hey, a lot of good info here. I have do disagree with opinions on stalkers.. I find them to be fantastic. They usually steal me games.. They need to be run as a group of 4 though. In terms of cost effectivness, you can make stalkers with the remaining parts of the kit after you have made the knights. A little green stuff is required but it allows you to maximze your models for minimal price, hoardobits.com is also a great resource for maximizing the GW kits. A necrosphinx torso can be had for 5 dollars.. I use them to make colossus'.. Over time you will want as big a variety of models as you can get. IT helps keep your army fresh and allows different styles of lists and therefore gameplay to be used.

Folomo
09-05-2013, 16:20
Remember that the posted post is a list of synergies between TK units.
Some units (like stalkers and scorpions) don't have a clear useful synergy so weren't included here, but can work just fine by themselves if used correctly.
The gunline is more a khalida-exclusive list for a allcomers list. Without her, T4 wide armys (OK, Lizardman, O&G, WoC, etc) are too tough for it.

My recommendation in any list: Take a casket and a Hierotitan. The first unit can be used as a armored-unit killer or simple power dice generator and the second gives you 2 bound spells and +1d3 casting, so you can two-dice most spells, reducing greatly the amount of successfully cast spells and reducing the chance of Miscast, in addition to a S6 Thunderstomp.

About using extra parts:
The stalkers can indeed be build with the remaining parts from the necroknight/SS dual kit. You will have to either get some tails or make them look like they are surging from the sand. The heads can be build with horse heads + the extra standards from chariots (in case you bought a batallion). The unused spears from skeleton warriors can be used to add "spikes" to their backs.
If you buy 2 sphinxes kits and make 1 warsphinx and 1 necrosphinx, with the remaining parts you can easily get: 1 tomb king, 1 casket of souls, 1 hierotitan and 2 tomb guards.
Tomb kings + 2 TG: comes here.
Casket of souls: turn the howda into a casket, adding both flying beetles swarm to the top of it. Use the tomb king as a priest using a normal skeleton skull instead of the prince head. Add 2 of the tomb guards to the sides as protectors. If you have a batallion, get them those 2 handed glaives from the chariots.
Titan: use the torso of the necrosphimx + hands. Use the standard that comes in the sphinx kit as a Staff. Use the 2 extra right legs (1 will require some moodeling and green stuff usage). With bits you can add a scale on the other hand.

-Totenkopf-
09-05-2013, 17:12
I agree about the gunline army.. Even with 80+ shots needing 5s and 5s(for T4) will not translate into many kills.. Adding kalida helps a lot, I have run this list a few times with decent success but I wouldn't want to have to run it all the time. The beauty of TK is that there are quite a few different builds that are quite successful, eventhough there are a few auto includes in the army ie. Casket of Souls

The catapults.. In my last 6 games have - killed one dwarf causing the remaining 30 to panic off the board, miscast, miscast, miscast scatter a bit, killed some stormvermin, etc... The point is, they CAN be very effective, however there is no garuntee they will do anything for you..

TK is a lovely army that is an absolute pleasure to collect, model and paint and any unit in the book can be made to work. Even those gorgeously bad Ushabti...

TG horde will surprise you with it's effectiveness everytime.. Sphinxs of all types are pure gold. That being said, you will have games where your opponent has dice with only 6s on them.. it happens..

TK are surprisingly fast for undead, but still slow do to lack of manueverabilty and charge reactions, Necrosphinxs help with this a lot.

Chariots are amazing. They are versatile and can be real game changers from units of 3 right up to 12. 9 is the magic number with the ability to cause 6d6 s5 impact hits.

Horse archers are the best chaff along with carrion..

Necroknights are quite good but not against everything.. They are the best armour unit we have and cannot stand up to chaos knights.. They excel at smashing s4 and below infantry.

Colossus - amazing bang for your buck.. far better than the "other" GW giants.. with two handed weapon is s8 add lore of light buffs or Kings settra buffs to taste and go wreck stuff.. I got a mildy boosted colossus into a 8 strong chaos knight flank, killed them all and over ran into the juggernat guys and made them disappear..

I won't go into every unit as there are many forums on this already.

The point I am trying to make is that there are so many good options in this army that it would be a shame not to try them all.. The gunline army is very limited.. So many armies are fast and hard hitting - Ogres can have bull hordes charging you turn 2. Mounted WOC can be in your face turn 2, Lizardmen can shrug off most of the shooting and shut down your very necessary magic phase..

Buy the models you like, the kits are well thought out so maximize them, magnetize (the big kits are perfect for it). find deals online, hoardobits, bluetablepainting, ebay etc..

K-Yeo
10-05-2013, 07:02
Thanks for your responses, totenkopf and folomo! I especially liked the suggestions with Stalkers/Knights and the Sphinxes, considering doing this or magnetising!

Don't get me wrong totenkopf, I'd love to get more than just a playable list, I've even had plans for a Grand Statuary with lots of cool individual looking statues. However, not only are GW prices expensive in Australia, but shipping really screws us to. I have been looking for great deals in 2nd hand stuff, very little Fantasy stuff here as opposed to 40k though. I bought stuff from Wayland before it stopped shipping here, which was a tragic blow :(

I think magnetising is the best way for me to go. I will have my dream army one day, but for now I have to be a smart spender and make the most of the options presented. The Grand Statuary has all of eternity to gather in size, after all :)

Methios
10-05-2013, 09:19
Well all fine and dandy but keep in mind that TK are NOT competative atm. There awsome to paint, look awsome. and a good deal of fun. But not verry powerfull.

hanrahandh
11-05-2013, 05:59
Well all fine and dandy but keep in mind that TK are NOT competative atm. There awsome to paint, look awsome. and a good deal of fun. But not verry powerfull.

This might be true in your experience Methios, however, there are ways that tomb kings become competitive. Most theme around Arkhan the Black and getting off lots of purple suns (which, as has been mentioned before, also stops your opponent for moving). Sphinx spam can also be considered competitive... though I agree with Malorian; a lot of armies in the current meta can deal with them. The strategy for sphinx spam is quite simple though, so I would recommend it for you if you're thinking of starting tomb kings. I would take up to three units of conga liners (10 skeletons with a champion in a snake formation) just to hold off things that get to close and allow your sphinxes that one extra, crucial turn, which allows them to flank charge. Remember that your army should include some horde breakers though: a sphinx can get stuck in a massive horde of enemy units and will be useless for the rest of the game. Catapults can chase off hordes (provided they don't miss-fire like our poor friend Totenkoph) or you could cast Doom and Darkness, then smash them in the side with a Warsphinx, win combat (thanks to Thundercrush) and chase them off. However you will find it very hard to deal with horde armies such as Orcs and Vampires. Good luch K-Yeo, there are ways to make Tomb Kings competitive, its just not as easy as other armies (like dark elves; where everything is good)

K-Yeo
12-05-2013, 05:35
Hanrahandh, thanks for the reply, I didn't even know a conga line was legal, but it sounds amazing!! Yeah, competitive is quite difficult with TK. I'm still contemplating how to go with it, as regardless it's going to be a while till I can field this force.

I am considering going with the magic heavy combo (HLP lvl 3 w/ light, 4x LP lvl 1 w/ light, hierotitan) and expanding on that with an archer block, chariots and a TG horde w/ cheap King/Prince and Necrotect and one of the banners, possibly also a tomb scorpion. However I have a handful of questions I must ask:

1. Would a casket work well with this combination? Or could the points be better spent elsewhere?
2. Screaming Skull Catapult? SOTF?
3. I love the Sepulchral Stalkers, but not sure whether to include them in there. It'd likely be a unit bigger than 3 (magnetised to make Knights for efficiency), if that helps. Or are knights the way to go instead? Or neither?
4. Khemrian Warsphinx?
5. Any improvements/suggestions? I understand this is quite messy, it is certainly by no means an army list- it is more appropriate to say it's closer to a cluster of units that needs composing, adding and removing before it gets anywhere.

Like I said, would love to field Sepulchral Stalkers, but if they don't work I might just be limited to playing them once in a blue moon if Knights are better (magnetising). Or never if neither can work in the army. Obviously chariots are in there as I own two boxes of them, NOT a battalion just so you know. Archers for some range, TG as a horde with buffs.

So any ideas on how and where to go from here (even if the suggestions are to base an army entirely differently) are welcome, as long as there's some good reasoning for it (might not be difficult with me ha). Thanks again for support Hanrahandh, and also thanks Methios :) Hope Ptra is giving you both some love come battle time.

Blitzgundam
12-05-2013, 06:22
Hanrahandh, thanks for the reply, I didn't even know a conga line was legal, but it sounds amazing!! Yeah, competitive is quite difficult with TK. I'm still contemplating how to go with it, as regardless it's going to be a while till I can field this force.

I am considering going with the magic heavy combo (HLP lvl 3 w/ light, 4x LP lvl 1 w/ light, hierotitan) and expanding on that with an archer block, chariots and a TG horde w/ cheap King/Prince and Necrotect and one of the banners, possibly also a tomb scorpion. However I have a handful of questions I must ask:

1. Would a casket work well with this combination? Or could the points be better spent elsewhere?
3. I love the Sepulchral Stalkers, but not sure whether to include them in there. It'd likely be a unit bigger than 3 (magnetised to make Knights for efficiency), if that helps. Or are knights the way to go instead? Or neither?
4. Khemrian Warsphinx?
5. Any improvements/suggestions? I understand this is quite messy, it is certainly by no means an army list- it is more appropriate to say it's closer to a cluster of units that needs composing, adding and removing before it gets anywhere.

Like I said, would love to field Sepulchral Stalkers, but if they don't work I might just be limited to playing them once in a blue moon if Knights are better (magnetising). Or never if neither can work in the army. Obviously chariots are in there as I own two boxes of them, NOT a battalion just so you know. Archers for some range, TG as a horde with buffs.

So any ideas on how and where to go from here (even if the suggestions are to base an army entirely differently) are welcome, as long as there's some good reasoning for it (might not be difficult with me ha). Thanks again for support Hanrahandh, and also thanks Methios :) Hope Ptra is giving you both some love come battle time.

I have played Tk for a long time....Maybe I can help a little?

1. If you are looking for Magic Heavy, the Casket is a must. I would also caution on this, Tk magic is not very good. Vampire Counts raise way better, and the few good spells TK have: Cursed Blades, Incantation, Righteous Smiting, are VERY situational. In addition, your primary spellcaster, the Heirophant has a HUGE target on his forehead.

2. Catapults are pretty good. I use one with SotF and it preforms very well.

3. Knights are the way to go. Stalkers are good against low initiative armies (Dwarfs/Lizardmen) but other than that, the Killing Blow offered by the Knights outperforms the shooting attack.

4. Warpshinx's are awesome. Gotta give them Fiery Roar. 4 Killing blow attacks, breath weapon, warsphinx's attacks, and thunderstomp. Just be careful of cannons. I have lost a many Warsphinx's to a cannonshot.

I can give you a quick rundown of stuff I have learned through many games:

Archers are only effective in blobs. Even then, as someone else mentioned, Str3 isn't going to do much but scratch armor.

I stay away from High Queen Khaldia. That model's stats are a hodgepodge of strangeness.

Tomb Guard are the best thing for Tomb Kings. I keep mine with hand weapon shield, Tomb Prince, and Necrotect. That is a grind for most armies.

Warriors with hand weapon shield. Once again, Tomb Prince and Necrotects are best.

Lots of Chariots. I have seen hordes of chariots, tiny 3 model groups, and normal sized units. I run 9, 3x3 with a musician, banner, and Tomb Prince/King.

hanrahandh
12-05-2013, 11:17

4. Khemrian Warsphinx?

When you're taking the light combo, remember that you have to take a level 3 or 4 with nehekara lore as well as the one with light. This can turn the casket, as Blitz has said, into a must; since all of your lords will likely be priests. This is a downside really, to Tomb kings, I think the rule should have been that you need at least 1 priest with nehekhara to be the heirophant, not the highest ranking... now the only real way to get around it is if you use arkhan - he uses death even if he is the heirophant, and since he is level 5, he will be the heirophant unless you take khatep :P

K-Yeo
12-05-2013, 12:05
Read both your responses. This might be hard to run, especially as I want a TK/TP and Necrotect on top of the LPs. Chariots are a certainty in the force, special is where it gets harder- TG for sure, knights/stalkers likely, warsphinx and/or tomb scorpion could be there. Only certainty in rare is SSC, however Casket is looking good. Too many things to consider haha

Thanks Blitzgundam and Hanrahandh. I've ran out Ptra-related blessings :(

Blitzgundam
13-05-2013, 06:44
Read both your responses. This might be hard to run, especially as I want a TK/TP and Necrotect on top of the LPs. Chariots are a certainty in the force, special is where it gets harder- TG for sure, knights/stalkers likely, warsphinx and/or tomb scorpion could be there. Only certainty in rare is SSC, however Casket is looking good. Too many things to consider haha

Thanks Blitzgundam and Hanrahandh. I've ran out Ptra-related blessings :(

Its actually not that bad. I find balanced TK lists I make to be pretty character heavy. As Hanrahandh said, your pretty much have to take a Level 3 or 4 Nehekhara user. I usually get in two Tomb Princes and two Necrotects. If I run my big chariot block, I take a Tomb King, two Princes and two Necrotects.

Honestly, I would steer clear of Knights/Stalkers. All your Nehekhara spells are short range, 12"-24" tops. This means you will need to stay fairly close. The Knights and Stalkers tend to be advanced units in the army. The only reason chariots work, even though they are faster, is that the bases are huge and usually in at least a 3x3 formation so you can still reach the backmost chariot to cast spells on the unit. Like I said before, the models are cool but the Stalkers are very situational. The Knights are good, but so are regular Tomb Guard.

I have one Tomb Scorpion and for the points, it fairs well. But like all single models, and this is doubly true for Undead, it tends to die very quickly in combat with rank and file, even with help. Remember, if you lose a combat with say your Tomb Guard and a Scorpion involved, both units suffer the unstable rule. I've lost the last wound on my scorpion many a time this way.

Warsphinx imo, are the way to go. I take 2. I have been tempted to take a third as a mount. Just watch out for cannons and try to keep a Necrotect close.

Yes, the Casket is good, but its full potential is reach when using a Magic heavy list, which as described has its own drawbacks.

K-Yeo
14-05-2013, 15:37
Read Blitzgundam's comment, still unsure on list as of moment. Will inform asap :)

PS Also considering Storm of Magic additions in future.