PDA

View Full Version : GW and Social media

Commissar Merces
07-05-2013, 20:31
I am curious if GW does any social media training for their store managers? If not, I would really suggest they look into investing some money into it as their current social media practices worry me as a consumer. Many of the facebook posts seem desperate, invasive, and strange. Their marketing campaign also seems very at odds with the practices I have been taught. Granted, I can't necessarily with their results, as they are a successful company, but is this something GW should try to improve? What do y'all think?

Inquisitor Kallus
07-05-2013, 20:43
What do you mean by invasive? I think a lot of their posts seem ok, though bordering on desperation in some cases

ntw3001
07-05-2013, 20:44
Pretty sure the folks in charge at GW see the Internet as a fad. In five years, the young people will get tired of their webs and their nets and everything will be like old times again.

Commissar Merces
07-05-2013, 20:48
What do you mean by invasive? I think a lot of their posts seem ok, though bordering on desperation in some cases

For example, posting 5-8 times a day with very little to say except "who wants to come down" or "it's rainy outside come in and check out the new models" or "it's a beautiful day to come to the shop" maybe invasive is the wrong word... but spamy?

Bigbot
07-05-2013, 20:54
I find the Derby FB ok as it tends to show off models and mention upcoming events, but doesn't steer into desperation that much. Warhammer World I see more desperation but I do get a chuckle out of the back and forth on their threads. I think it mostly just depends which store is yours.

Bigglesworth
07-05-2013, 21:07
Remember this is the company that shut its own facebook page down.

Coldhatred
07-05-2013, 21:16
I find them OK. Some stores do seem to put out way more posts per day that are just "HEY! Come on down!" but most seem to actually be posts full of pictures and good information. Maybe I'm just seeing good examples.

Gerod253
07-05-2013, 21:26
I'm not sure that desperation is right either. Maybe the store is simply empty and the staff are bored. Facebook is easier to get to than setting up a paint station to work on store or personal armies.

Chapters Unwritten
07-05-2013, 21:41
Ironically, there is a Warhammer 40000 page that does a much better job of it than any of the terrible store pages.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Commissar Merces
07-05-2013, 21:53
I mean let me give you some examples.

Stop on by the store today and be sure to get some of the newly released High Elves while I have them in stock. And while you get ready to come by, ask yourself who do you know that would be interested in the hobby?

Sundays are Bring a Friend Day, which is a perfect day to show your friends how awesome our hobby is!

Looking forward towards seeing everyone in today!
-----------------
The rain seems to be stopping and it looking like a great day to come in and hobby!
----------------------------
The sun is out! Another great day to come in and hobby!
----------------------------
Today I have a lesson booked in from 4.30pm-5.30pm in which we are going to be building tanks - this sound good/helpful?

Why not come down and get involved...
-------------------------------------------
The new daemons are here! We have everything ready to go for the powers of the warp to be unleashed on your hobby! We'll be discussing daemons all day so come on down and tell us what you think!
------------------------------------------

Those are just a few I have picked up from different GW pages. While not "terribly horribly awful" I am not sure they do what GW really wants to do with their social media as these kinds of posts really turn me off as a consumer. Here are some examples of good uses of social media

Good friends and a ton of Warhammer 40K models to play with = priceless
(big picture of Apoc game)
-------------------------
To the many fellow hobbyists who enjoy both the gaming and painting aspect of the hobby...what is your greatest achievement thus far since entering the hobby and why? Also, what percentage of your friends are actually familiar with your involvement within the hobby and if so, how many of them would be willing to consider it as a hobby of their own as well? Happy Tuesday folks!
--------------------------------------------
s there anyone else other than myself who are excited about the official release of Tau products tomorrow?!! Whether you're curious to find out how your current armies will stack up against Tau units, starting an new Tau army and/or alliance of your current army with Tau forces, or simply just looking forward to watching giant monstrous-sized robots roam the field should be exciting! Also, I'm looking for conversion ideas, specifically with Tau models. Any thoughts and/or ideas?!

These kinds of posts promote discussion and go beyond the come on down schemes that most GW pages try to sell you. While equally as frequent, these posts are more engaging and market the hobby outside of the confines of the store.

Coldhatred
08-05-2013, 03:05
I see what you're getting at. But then again, if they don't say anything then they aren't tapping the medium to its fullest. That being said, "The rain is stopping, come hobby." That's terrible and might as well have not been said.

Abaraxas
08-05-2013, 06:43
Maybe Im just happy drunk today instead of the usual melancholy drunk, but these are no worse than the crud regular people put on their FB status thing.

I mean, we do like Warhammer,right?

Playing a big game with a few mates IS great, and I wish more of my mates were into "hobbying" !

I sincerely apologise for defending GW :)

blackcherry
08-05-2013, 06:54
It strikes me as just someone in a very empty store that has been told to run a facebook page for the store, but given no advice on what to actually post. Its like a lot of stores on facebook really. At least the GW ones tend to have more that just the owners and their families liking the page.

Voss
08-05-2013, 06:57
I don't really see much difference between your good and bad examples, Merces. But then, anything on social media strikes me as a child crying and shrieking to let adults know that it is alive in the face of an indifferent universe. Much like drunk college kids wandering down the road at 1am shouting random nonsense and obscenities.

jack da greenskin
08-05-2013, 07:22
Can't stand the turn of phrase "Come in and hobby!" - When the hell did "to hobby" become a verb? More specifically, how on earth does is refer to wargaming?

But yeah, I get the desperation you're talking about. Just click on it and set it to filter out of your newsfeed - Or unlike the page completely.

JWhex
08-05-2013, 07:56
Like others have said, sounds like someone is bored. More than 99% of what people write on facebook is gak anyway, your examples dont sound offensive, just the usual throw away crap FB is famous for.

BTJ
08-05-2013, 14:01
I guess the Dublin GW is actually one of the better ones then. They usually just mention new releases, events and particularly nuts stuff the staff are working on(like the first batch of Hobbit minis painted inside a week of release). Usually worth a look at and easy to ignore.

warhammergrimace
08-05-2013, 18:01
GW dosen't really understand Socual Media, it's quite evident in the posts that get added...and yes they do sound desperate...social media is part of my job in PR and it should be used to engage with the community....get them talking about the hobby as well as provide info about store events and new products...

Killgore
08-05-2013, 22:07
What is the problem? How many of those quoted FB posts were done on the same day? Honestly I've seen a plenty of good natured conversations on GW store pages from happy gamers enjoying their hobby. Not everyone is burned up like a Warseer General Discussion poster.

FB news feeds get buried after a hour or two if you got more than 10 friends, I doubt GW contributes much to FB spam.

Abaraxas
09-05-2013, 09:20
What is the problem? How many of those quoted FB posts were done on the same day? Honestly I've seen a plenty of good natured conversations on GW store pages from happy gamers enjoying their hobby. Not everyone is burned up like a Warseer General Discussion poster.

FB news feeds get buried after a hour or two if you got more than 10 friends, I doubt FB contributes much to FB spam.

Not to ride the white horse here, but right on.

Belakor
09-05-2013, 09:59
Honestly I've seen a plenty of good natured conversations on GW store pages from happy gamers enjoying their hobby. Not everyone is burned up like a Warseer General VOCAL Discussion poster.

Fixed that for you!

Look at the number of people who are GW negative compared to how many members here are.

It is the same few echoing away their spare time.

ugavine
09-05-2013, 10:28
I tend to follow the stores on Facebook that tend to show off painted models. But then I have little tolerance on Facebook and will instantly unlike/report a page in an instant. So I guess I'm not following any of the spamy stores.

Setesh
09-05-2013, 13:05
It varies on the manager's web-savvy but the majority I read give me the impression that the store is empty.

Ravenous
10-05-2013, 14:55
I find the Derby FB ok as it tends to show off models and mention upcoming events, but doesn't steer into desperation that much. Warhammer World I see more desperation but I do get a chuckle out of the back and forth on their threads. I think it mostly just depends which store is yours.

And said it was down for "maintenance"

Tae
14-05-2013, 17:07
GW dosen't really understand Socual Media, it's quite evident in the posts that get added...and yes they do sound desperate...social media is part of my job in PR and it should be used to engage with the community....get them talking about the hobby as well as provide info about store events and new products...

It's even more evident when they start arbitrarily delete posts that disagree with the official line.

Case in point - today they announced they're amending the rules for their battle brothers tournament based on feedback received (from Sunday, so you know that must have been STRONG feedback!) at which point I commented to say this was great news and did they plan on taking on board the rest of our feedback? (It was a very badly organised event) only I now find they've removed it.

Sounds like their official page all over again.

Grimtuff
14-05-2013, 21:59
It's even more evident when they start arbitrarily delete posts that disagree with the official line.

Case in point - today they announced they're amending the rules for their battle brothers tournament based on feedback received (from Sunday, so you know that must have been STRONG feedback!) at which point I commented to say this was great news and did they plan on taking on board the rest of our feedback? (It was a very badly organised event) only I now find they've removed it.

Sounds like their official page all over again.

Not wanting to sound like I'm leaping to the defence of GW (I'd be the last person to do such a thing). Perhaps the fact you opened it with "This is great news!" sounded a little too much like you were making reference to a certain other GW FB incident (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?368452-GW-Stores-banning-open-gaming) and looked like you were taking the ****. ;)

Tae
14-05-2013, 22:05
Not wanting to sound like I'm leaping to the defence of GW (I'd be the last person to do such a thing). Perhaps the fact you opened it with "This is great news!" sounded a little too much like you were making reference to a certain other GW FB incident (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?368452-GW-Stores-banning-open-gaming) and looked like you were taking the ****. ;)

I'd be inclined to agree with you - were it not for the fact that the previous 5 comments, all of which still remain, said pretty much only that - yay, or some similar phrase.

Also I think I actually opened it with excellent, but I was paraphrasing in my previous post as I could no longer see my exact words :p

Grimtuff
14-05-2013, 22:12
I'd be inclined to agree with you - were it not for the fact that the previous 5 comments, all of which still remain, said pretty much only that - yay, or some similar phrase.

Also I think I actually opened it with excellent, but I was paraphrasing in my previous post as I could no longer see my exact words :p

Gotcha! Seems like typical GW hamfistedness then.

jtrowell
15-05-2013, 08:07
What, 2 pages about facebook and still no one has mentionned GW fulchester ?

Go and see for yourself => https://fr-fr.facebook.com/GWFulchester :D

Note: before someone asks, there is no town named Fulchester, and no GW store, this is a joke facebook account.

gyg
16-05-2013, 03:03
What, 2 pages about facebook and still no one has mentionned GW fulchester ?

Go and see for yourself => https://fr-fr.facebook.com/GWFulchester :D

Note: before someone asks, there is no town named Fulchester, and no GW store, this is a joke facebook account.

Genius, I want this to be my local store. (Misspelt vampire counts-i laughed out loud!!)

Sir Didymus
23-05-2013, 00:38

GW understands this just fine. Trouble is that they have two main target groups:

a) Moms coerced from 'pester power'
b) Smelly gamer nerds / Disgruntled Know-It-Alls

Socially these two do not mix very well. Mom doesn't understand the passionate ruckus, but indulges her devil spawn. What she does see is, whether the hobby seems like a safe environment; in a store/hobby centre she might cross paths with Target Group B and might cringe a bit, but she'll recognize that the people are generally good-natured and just having fun. Should mom on the other hand find herself witnessing a flame war on social media filled with negativity from nerds, she'll start questioning the sanity on buying plastic crack, and instead buy something safe. Besides, when the devil spawn decides that he'll need consult the internet on WHFB/40K, there are plenty of independent sites doing that job - and these are fed tidbits and rumours - so basically GW doesn't need the SM presence to spark interest, since the fans are already doing a good job.

It is sad that GW doesn't have channels for direct communication with their fan base. On the other hand the purpose of this is 'retention', and nobody ever quit the hobby cause they weren't heard. You drop out, because you lose interest in modelling, or the story loses its appeal. The two major complaints vs. GW have been poor FAQ and sporadic updates and both of these have recently been remedied.

-

The actual FB quotes given are more an example of GWs HR policy of "get da nerds, deyz work for nuttin'" meeting the old adage "You get, what you pay for". You can basically read the actual guidelines, the author have been given from the quotes, so a lofty policy has been written, but the proper tools and understanding are lacking out in the stores.

At least thats what I see after 12 years in advertising - with most of those spent marketing towards kids.

Coldhatred
23-05-2013, 04:18
more an example of GWs HR policy of "get da nerds, deyz work for nuttin'" meeting the old adage "You get, what you pay for". You can basically read the actual guidelines, the author have been given from the quotes, so a lofty policy has been written, but the proper tools and understanding are lacking out in the stores.

Eh, don't think that's completely true. Sure, GW wants employees that are passionate about the hobby and thus "nerdy". Yet to say that the before mentioned posts show a trend that is conducive of a blanket statement like you said above? Not really. The problem is that GW hasn't decided to recognize the internet completely yet, so it seems that proper social media training hasn't occurred.