PDA

View Full Version : What are your houserules?

Ruination Drinker
08-05-2013, 00:07
Generally speaking, my group plays with no houserules whatsoever. We do routinely make exceptions for things like custom models, ornate/creative basing, and model proxies. I tend to think that we may be a little too strict when it comes to gameplay.

What kind of houserules do you use in your games, and which ones are your favorites? Do you find that they spice up the game or do they distract from the whole thing?

Zothos
08-05-2013, 05:34
Our group agrees to a strict no allies rule. (Unanimously)

We also do not do double force org at 2000.

Thats really about it.

Ace Rimmer
08-05-2013, 06:16
Rule of cool, if it looks awesome or has has the potential to be epically funny, it's both allowed and encouraged.

totgeboren
08-05-2013, 06:44
We allow the owning player to remove models killed by barrage weapons, instead of going from the centre of the blast and outwards. When IG mortars (armed with the least precise man-portable weapon in the IG armoury) are 4-5 times more likely to snipe out important models than IG models armed with sniper rifles (which is supposed to be the most precise weapon in the IG armoury) you know the rules are simply bad.

We often play without challenges, as they take away much of the fun from the game. The funny thing is that everyone is ok with removing them except me, and I think I'm the one who hates them the most! My reluctances comes from realising they could have a quite significant impact on the game. Oh well, the most fun games are the ones without challenges anyway, and the point of the game is to have fun I guess? :)

Azulthar
08-05-2013, 09:16
Houserules (deviations from the official rules)
- Models can look freely over walls/defense lines they're adjacent too.
- Set up scenery before rolling for table-edge.
- As Fortifications are now placed after scenery, you're allowed to remove one piece of scenery when placing your Fortification.
- The player who gets to choose the table edge first also deploys and starts first, as per 5th.
- We only use Mysterious Objectives if one or more players brings Flyers, though we're thinking about using them full-time again.

Agreements
- We only use long edge deployment. The other deployments didn't prove very enjoyable, though we're thinking about giving them another shot.
- We don't use Mysterious Forests (or is this a houserule? Not quite sure if Mysterious Forests are presented as optional).

Marzillius
08-05-2013, 09:55
No double force organization.

We always forget Nightfighting.

Heavy vehicles can shoot all their weapons at full BS if they don't move if they shoot an ordnance weapon (Leman Russ Battle Tanks with Heavy Bolter sponsons, like they could before 6th).

Menthak
08-05-2013, 13:06
Logic.

Just saying, if you declare something, that sounds feasible, then you can give it a shot, for example, Genestealers scaling a small wall on a initiative test, or Imperial Guard blowing a hole in a wall with heavy weapons. So long as you've got someone impartial to keeps things from getting too out of hand

EDIT: Oh! and we have the 'Goo' which is three green splodges on our board, if a model enters them, they have to roll, if it's a 5 or a 6 they take a wound with no regular saves (Vehicles take a glancing hit on a 5 or a 6)

Corvus Corone
08-05-2013, 14:40
We use some of the ones mentioned above, and we allow a re-roll for warlord trait.

skorczeny
08-05-2013, 15:35
- No flyers (yay!)
- Forests are never mysterious
- Rivers are always mysterious
- Whoever chooses table edge first deploys first and takes the first turn

I do like the idea of re-rolling Warlord traits. We may use that.

csm
08-05-2013, 15:52
We often play without challenges, as they take away much of the fun from the game. :)

My chaos lord on juggernaut/Axe of Blind Fury would like to play a game against you :)

Chapters Unwritten
08-05-2013, 16:39
My club has certain "ingrained" things they do. They are not necessarily house rules, just more of a communal methodology to the game.

- They always put fortifications down when deploying their army, not when the rules say. They are aware of it, they just generally don't do it.

- They don't use double force org even though our usual games are at 2000 points. When I mention this, they often remark that the game does not feel fair because the other guy may or may not have taken advantage of that rule. So they don't do it as a matter of sportsmanship.

- They always use "narrative" terrain, because they feel the other version yields boards with too many "lanes" on a nice neat grid. and they find this to be really boring as a group.

Bubble Ghost
08-05-2013, 16:49
1. Be excellent to each other.
2. Party on, dudes.

The only house rules you should need, in a perfect world.

Fear Ghoul
08-05-2013, 16:54
In our group Tyranids are allowed to have Imperial Guard and Dark Eldar as allies, and terrain is placed before choosing board edge like in 5th edition.

Ace Rimmer
08-05-2013, 18:21
Actually, on the Warlord Traits front, we tend to roll first and then pick a table to give a choice of 3 traits so we can reduce the likelihood of getting something completely useless.

sayles78
08-05-2013, 18:58
Actually, on the Warlord Traits front, we tend to roll first and then pick a table to give a choice of 3 traits so we can reduce the likelihood of getting something completely useless.

I like this.

We are pretty lapse when it comes to when psy-powers are used. At the beginning of the movement phase/close combat phase tends to be regarded as 'any time' during relevant phase. We ALL seem to forget! It's fair if every1 does it. It's a game! Have fun.

flemfilms
08-05-2013, 19:04
Re-roll Warlord traits if they mean nothing to the scenario or if it is an ability that the character already has, or is redundant. But only one re-roll.

We roll in a box. If dice bounce out they are always re-rolled. If not using a box, all dice even slightly cocked or on a piece of scenery are re-rolled.

Everyone is allowed a "Jones". A Jones is when you forget to do something really obvious and important because you were too busy talking, drinking, smoking, bathroom break, whatever. Everyone is allowed to go backward and "re"-do something they forgot as long as it was in the last phase. For example: You move onto the fighting sub-phase, but forgot to charge with that one squad of termies that are 3 inches from a squad of Guard Heavy Weapons. In more fun, less competitive games, we allow more than one.

All floors are considered to be 3" apart, unless there is a reason for them to be more/less than 3".

There is no mysterious terrain, unless there is a reason for it to be.

I'm fighting to amend the flyer rules: "Flyers may only snap-shot at ground units unless firing with template/blast weapons, or if they are in hover mode." I think I'm finally wearing my group down on this one.

Also trying to come up with a good amendment to the random charge distance. Haven't found a good alternative yet.

Assigning wounds to the closest models is also soon to be extinct.

-Loki-
09-05-2013, 05:48
Terrain - set up before the game even starts.
Warlord traits - roll first, pick the result from whichever table for that result.

That's about it.

I do like flemfilms 'Jones' rule. I think I'll have to bring that up with the guys.

Sir Didymus
09-05-2013, 07:00
Winner pays first round at the pub afterwards.

JWhex
09-05-2013, 09:49
No house rules when friends come over. When playing against my son I let him use the 3.5 chaos codex if he wants, or the previous codex and pick and choose units from the last demon codex, also if he wants. He doesnt like tournaments and I am not buying two 50 dollar codexes that are crap when we have a whole library of older codexes and are just playing for fun.

I just cant be bothered to take 6th edition as a serious game.

samzor
09-05-2013, 10:39
Depends on gaming group and edition being played:

6th:
*Helldrake flamer is AP4 (The chaos guy actually decided it was a good idea)
*Choose warlord traits (if both people want to)
*When models are on top of building eg: flat roof (not wall or battlement( they can look over and target models if they are within 2" of the edge. Or the exact opposite strict LOS (one or the other is clarified before we start).
*Ignore last 2 FAQ's released for eldar as they dont make sense and have little impact on the game. (Mind war like it used to/should be)
*Can choose night fighting or not.

2nd:
*No virus card or virus related wargear.
*Limit the amount of totally overpowered unique wargear. Only 1-3 HQ's (less hero-hammer)
*Mission cards completely optional. Dont use any of the old codex specific ones.
*Double D6 for warp flux. (no more)
*Psychic characters warp level must add up. Eg: if you're taking two level 4's then your total is 8. Your opponent should include any number psychic characters to the sum of 8.
*Generally dont play with unique characters.

Both gaming groups the focus is fun whil'st still playing as smart as possible with what you have.

Gaargod
09-05-2013, 10:55
Depends on gaming group and edition being played:

6th:
*Helldrake flamer is AP4 (The chaos guy actually decided it was a good idea)
*Choose warlord traits (if both people want to)....

I like the latter. The former seems like a bad way of doing it - most threads agree the best way is to take away the turret and make it 90 or 180 degree line of sight (basically, ignore FAQ, it's hull mounted). Hades could probably stay a turret, to make it competitive

I think the big one is utterly ignoring the rulebook's suggestions on terrain. We still use 25% (and actually use 25%, by filling a quarter of the board with terrain then placing it around), then dropping fortifications after. Oh, and mysterious terrain / objects can go away.

MadmanMSU
09-05-2013, 11:31
I'm mildly surprised at how many people use these house rules.

My group doesn't use any. The one rule we ignore is the Mysterious Terrain and Mysterious Objectives crap, and terrain is usually placed however we feel like. I've used the narrative setup rules before, and they work fine, but we're usually too lazy to roll dice for terrain. Just place and go.

Blenk87
09-05-2013, 12:49
A lot of the rules on here simply seam to aim to regress the game,

The only rules we use at our club are
- set terrain up before anything else
- only use mysterious woods if both players want to.

Although I think I will be suggesting to allow trait re rolls or the roll and pick corresponding trait from either column.

IcedCrow
09-05-2013, 12:50
Wow the helldrake as a flying heavy flamer. Did he come down in points too then? ;)

We really haven't houseruled 40k. A lot of the guys I play with dislike houserules in general. I do like the warlord re-rolls and I think next time I will do the fortifications get placed with the army thing. Will probably remove the faq on the helldrake so it loses its turret.

Bobthemime
09-05-2013, 16:07
Also trying to come up with a good amendment to the random charge distance. Haven't found a good alternative yet.

Assigning wounds to the closest models is also soon to be extinct.

why not have it as the old charge range. 6" guaranteed is better than rolling snake eyes with a dedicated CC unit. Not fun when Bezerkers FINALLY get to CC and them needing to roll a 3 and getting a 2

if they want to go further ie 6"+d6, the over watchers get to shoot at bs5, unless they already have that perk

FashaTheDog
09-05-2013, 16:40
My gaming group plays pretty much RAW with a few conventions such as rolls must be made on the table, dice that fall off or go astray do not count, or one specific guy at our store must proxy every model even if he can play his Chaos WYSIWYG (not really, but it is really weird when he has WYSIWYG and it does cause some exclamations of disbelief when he does). Occasionally we house rule something silly just because like the other week during set up an observer just piled trees and felt on a forest and we house ruled that that mysterious forest was so mysterious, it was all the mysterious forest results, one through six. Of course, I sent my Plguebearers through it needlessly to ensure it was used. I also have a Gov. William J. L e Petomane Thruway toll booth terrain piece that I bring out every now and again that usually gets house ruled to require models to pass through single file and each pay a dime (http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=147292&d=1344187748).

flemfilms
09-05-2013, 20:00
why not have it as the old charge range. 6" guaranteed is better than rolling snake eyes with a dedicated CC unit. Not fun when Bezerkers FINALLY get to CC and them needing to roll a 3 and getting a 2

if they want to go further ie 6"+d6, the over watchers get to shoot at bs5, unless they already have that perk

The second option would give everyone a 7"-12" charge range, and not every unit has a weapon to overwatch with. I like the idea behind random charge distance, just feel that 2"-12" is too great a variance. Something like 4"-8" would be nice and random. A bad roll and the unit is gimped a little. A good roll and they get a little boost. And it would keep it different from previous editions. And overwatch doesn't need any sort of boost.

Maybe a good alternative would be d6+3". This would give a charge range of 4"-9". Yeah, I kind of like that idea. Now to pitch it to the crew...

Bobthemime
09-05-2013, 20:54
The second option would give everyone a 7"-12" charge range, and not every unit has a weapon to overwatch with. I like the idea behind random charge distance, just feel that 2"-12" is too great a variance. Something like 4"-8" would be nice and random. A bad roll and the unit is gimped a little. A good roll and they get a little boost. And it would keep it different from previous editions. And overwatch doesn't need any sort of boost.

Maybe a good alternative would be d6+3". This would give a charge range of 4"-9". Yeah, I kind of like that idea. Now to pitch it to the crew...

Roll d-20's

for the luls.

Angelwing
09-05-2013, 22:26
I also have a Gov. William J. L e Petomane Thruway toll booth terrain piece that I bring out every now and again that usually gets house ruled to require models to pass through single file and each pay a dime (http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=147292&d=1344187748).

I want one. Does the toll cash go towards group snacks?

House rule wise we just set up terrain in the mutual manner, and ignore the odd faq answer that is very silly.
I haven't actually enforced (yet) either of the rules "unpainted models have -1 armour save / armour value" or "If the player receives a phone call / text during a game all their models are at -1 armour save. Multiple calls are cumulative." Of course these apply at my house, when my phone is off and I only use painted models.....;)

jsullivanlaw
09-05-2013, 22:50
All allies are allies of convenience. The stupid chart in the 6th book is pretty random and heavily in favor of imperial armies, plus battle brothers rules are bit OP and desperate allies are stupid as hell.

Bobthemime
09-05-2013, 22:52
House rule wise we just set up terrain in the mutual manner, and ignore the odd faq answer that is very silly.
I haven't actually enforced (yet) either of the rules "unpainted models have -1 armour save / armour value" or "If the player receives a phone call / text during a game all their models are at -1 armour save. Multiple calls are cumulative." Of course these apply at my house, when my phone is off and I only use painted models.....;)

someone actually house rules for unpainted and text/phonecalls?

a lil harsh

TheDarkDuke
10-05-2013, 00:41
The chaos always have to challenge junk is ignored entirely (dont even bother with challenges as they seem way to out of place in 40k) Pretty much agreed around here that it is worthless and not even that fluffy for 40k chaos.

Bobthemime
10-05-2013, 02:12
The chaos always have to challenge junk is ignored entirely (dont even bother with challenges as they seem way to out of place in 40k) Pretty much agreed around here that it is worthless and not even that fluffy for 40k chaos.

My archon and Haemie and klavex would love you.

fgsfds-
10-05-2013, 02:24
Amongst friends we don't really have any houserules. We seldom play missions and when we do, we agree on ignoring the special rules concerning the environments and objects (exluding Difficult/Dangerous/etc. Terrains). Evertyhing else goes pretty much by the book.

-Loki-
10-05-2013, 03:05

A common one I see thrown around is Ini+D6". Maybe cap it at 12" so ensure no turn 1 charges. It means units that are meant to be fast (as per their Ini) are actually faster, or at least reliably faste. Just ignore weapon modifications and work off base Ini, so models with unweildy weapons aren't too slow.

raygunsand rocketeers
10-05-2013, 03:32
lots of little ones for characters.....
but the main 'house Rule' of importance is 'alternate unit activation'....
none of that igo-ugo stuff...
AUA keeps us all active, involved.
If we had to get rid of all but one house rule, itd be the one we kept...

Individual8580
10-05-2013, 04:22
We don't use mysterious terrain.

Angelwing
10-05-2013, 04:44
someone actually house rules for unpainted and text/phonecalls?

a lil harsh

:D I'ts never, ever been enforced. Its a running joke in my group. Although a recent new member thought we were serious at first....

FashaTheDog
10-05-2013, 13:34
lots of little ones for characters.....
but the main 'house Rule' of importance is 'alternate unit activation'....
none of that igo-ugo stuff...
AUA keeps us all active, involved.
If we had to get rid of all but one house rule, itd be the one we kept...

Not having tried that, it seems though that there would be some issues with the basic game play like IG orders that require all such orders to be issued before any shooting can be done and do not affect the issuing officer unless they themselves are the subject of their order and need to occur in some cases after affected units have moved or powers that must be done at the start of a phase. In the case of the former, you could have a Guard player activate a HQ command squad and issue orders that could potentially affect up to six other units, requiring that the Guard player resolve actions with a total of seven units, some of which may not have activated yet.

It just seems, and maybe I am mistaken about it, that such a fundamental game change would require a rather large number of house rules to make feasible in a system that already has plenty of rules issues on its own. Again, I may be mistaken from lack of experience, but it also seems that it could slow down play as horde army players, and I am one of them, get in to a rhythm each turn which does speed things up. Alternate unit activation could also mean squat in a game of Draigowing versus say a Guard infantry company where the former has maybe a half dozen units while the latter fields more than five times that. In a case like that each side alternates moving one unit for a little bit then the Guard player activates another two dozen units. There does not seem to be any way around that that would not unfairly affect the Guard player by either giving the Draigowing player extra activations or taking away many of the Guard's.

I am not saying that your house rule is without merit, but I am curious as to how such a significant rules change is handled by your group considering that there are a great many rules and abilities that are designed to only effectively function in a you go, I go system and a great number of those and a few others that require that all units complete their prior phases actions before taking effect, lest odd situations occur or some abilities become worthless or far better. Going back to the IG, being able to order a unit that went to ground earlier in the turn to no longer be pinned before it activates is amazingly powerful; a situation that could easily occur with alarming frequency.

Romark
10-05-2013, 14:22
Coming from playing Fantasy a lot more than 40k we've brought some stuff over from there.

None of the 'Take the highest toughness of the target unit and resolve hits against that' rubbish. Resolve hits at the toughness of the person it's hitting (counts for all similar rules). The one i do like more from 40k is the remove closest models, makes you put a lot more thought into placement.

Mysterious stuff is ignored completely, cant be bothered checking rules for terrain every 5 minutes.

I may suggest the Warlord trait where you roll then pick a table, seems fairer.

Cant remember anything else off the top of my head...

Radish
10-05-2013, 19:22
I haven't used it in practice but I've toyed with the idea that if a challenge gets refused, then the model making the challenge is also not involved in the assault phase just like the one hiding from it.

Also I always thought failing a break-off test can be too brutal, and before have tried (not enough times to make a final decision) that if the test is failed, the losing side loses a model for every model in the enemy units. Monstrous creatures and walkers counting as 5.

I'm liking some of these house rules too