PDA

View Full Version : Tournament 'conversation' opinions / small favour

Akkaryn
08-05-2013, 07:01
Hi.

I'm currently making a gobven army. Which is basically a goblin army converted into skaven units. Every unit is heavily converted to look like a goblin version of the skaven counter part. (for example my plague monks have a staff and katar for the adw. Then will have either gas masks or straw hats depending on my green stuffing skills.)

Now my question is. I know ultimately it's up to the guy in charge. But would you be happy to play this type of army in a tournament? It's taking a lot of effort to actually make this stuff and at the minute I want to attend a tournament soonish. Trying to gauge how much effort I should put in.

And my favour is could someone measure the height of a Storm Vermin model and let me know. (I'm putting them on bases to make sure they are the same height as the proper models)

Xentarus
08-05-2013, 07:49
If things look cool, people will give you a hell of a lot more leeway. So long as it is obvious at a glance what each unit represents (having been told what the army is), there should be no problem.

JWhex
08-05-2013, 09:00
In general I am all for conversions and creativity. This particular idea however I can see some problems in a tournament setting. Time is a limiting factor and since the skaven army usually has a lot of units it would be kind of annoying to constantly have to check which equals which.

Casual game, no problem, I could see some validity to someone objecting in a tournament though.

Ratarsed
08-05-2013, 10:07
Most tournaments should be okay with it. GW ones may not allow it as they have strict rules on proxy models and wysiwyg.
As a rule if you have done a good job most gamers would be pleased to play the army.

tmarichards
08-05-2013, 11:19
Most people would be ok with it, as a general rule people might not like the overall effect but as long as you've clearly put the effort in they wouldn't mind.

Something I would suggest is making up a few laminated pictures of your army, with a brief key as to what each unit is. That way you can run over everything at the start of the game, and then give that sheet to your opponent so they can check at any point in the game what any unit is (of course they could just ask you, but sometimes people can feel a little awkward asking to have something repeated to them).

As an example of something like this, I'd say try and find some pictures of Ben de Bosdari's Skaven army or Andy Potter's Warriors.

Daniel36
08-05-2013, 11:28
Play campaigns with these types of armies. Much more fun anyways.

Vadth
09-05-2013, 08:08
Wow. I had the exact same idea when I was thinking about starting a second army a couple years ago, outside of wanting to go to tournaments with it. I discarded the idea after playing a game with Skaven and realizing I didn't actually like the rules. Probably for the best as my conversion skills at the time ... and now even isn't good enough to make it work well. If you go through with this I would love to see pictures of it.

a18no
09-05-2013, 22:56
A guy here played an army consisting of orcs painted in red. It was and orch-horne army!

Azazel
10-05-2013, 13:37
As long as everything is on the right sized base, and you don't mind reminding me what everything is every turn, I'd be fine with it. :)