PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves Update In The Future?

Lornak Bloodgreed
08-05-2013, 19:52
The Dark Elves seem like an interesting army, one that seems interesting enough to start, IF the miniature range and rule set were in line with the quality of other miniature ranges in Warhammer. I honestly loved the approach Games Workshop took to redesigning the Dark Eldar range from their old style, utilizing the base design of the Eldar and then putting a twisted spin on it. I hope they do the same with the Dark Eldar and frankly I feel they need a nearly complete redesign to bring them in line with the quality of the High Elves and Warriors of Chaos at this point. They aren't alone of course either, Wood Elves, Lizardmen, and DEFINITELY Dwarves as well as Bretonnians need army updates, but I want to know who's coming first.

Are there any rumors? Are there even updates planned for anything?

Halbeard
08-05-2013, 20:04
Check "rumors" in this forum. The Rumor mongers have Lizardmen as the next fantasy army in august. Then there is a maybe, but some claim it is The Dark elves turn to get a new book in November.

warplock
08-05-2013, 20:09
Lizardmen we next up according to the rumours. Dark Elves are allegedly due after Lizardmen, so, not too far off, but not exactly near either, since Lizardmen could well be the only other Fantasy book released this year. Personally I am hoping for Lizardmen in late summer and Dark Elves in autumn. I don't think there are any rumours about what the DE release will contain, other than there will be a big monster.
The core troops for DE are all great, I can't see any way they'll get new models. Likewise for Witch Elves and Executioners, except they're monumentally expensive and Finecast. However, any re-done elite-ishinfantry is likely to be at the new price of 30 for a box of ten, making them not really any cheaper than the Finecast models anyway. Cold One Knights are my favourite models in the game right now.
I can't help thinking that they do need an extra 'layer' concept-wise to be really great, and I hope they get it much like Dark Eldar got. Only problem is I can't really think what it might be.

Halbeard
08-05-2013, 22:45
There have been rumors for a while now about Dark Elves, there have been rumours for Dwarfs as well, noting is really certain, however it is very plausable that we get them in this autum or early next year. There have also been rumors about plastic Witch elves. I agree and hope that we get plastic kits instead of all the FC and metal that still exist in the DE range. However if one have resurses and is patient you can build everything you need if you do a little bit of kit bashing. Its not cheaper if you don't have a grand bitbox, but it is funny. I read somewhere on this forum that we probably only get a total of four new releases, again nowbody knows! Its rumors and wishlisting and good proportion of wiening! I Don't know if there is another army with that much FC, in WFB? I don't think all of the FC disapear but I think at least some of it might disapear. I mean why buy Blackguard when you can kitbash Phoenixguard, Blackguard you also have to order. Phoenixguard you can buy in store! We haven't had a chariotmodell since forever that is a also a plauseble guess that this will be the dualkit with the cauldron or something totally new. Again this is wishlisting, and speculation! I don't see that we get any core, other that perhaps Dark Riders, the modells is from late 4:ed or 5:ed. I have stopped expanding my force in wait for the AB and hopefully an overhaul like the Dark Eldar range!

Dominatrix
08-05-2013, 23:38
Please correct me if I am mistaken but I seem to remember a post by one of our rumourmongers (Hastings?) that he had seen new witch elf models and that they looked awful!! :/ To move on to wishlisting having seen what they can do in the new HE shadow warrior / archer dual kit I believe they could release a dual kit for black guard / executioners. You have two plastic kits right there. Throw a couple of heroes, another kit ala empire hurricanum ( cauldron of blood / whatever #1) and finally a big monster (hydra / whatever #2) and that's it for DE!! :P

Halbeard
09-05-2013, 00:29
I have also read about the Witch elves (read my last post) and of course you may be right! About them go full out with new dualkit. But I don't see GW miss an oppertunity to add something new, and something old when they release a new AB. So at least some of the FC probably stays (HE still have Swordmaster as FC). But my opinion is that at this point, most of it is very uncertain to most of us. To be honest there aren't that much more rumours about DE as there are about WE, and then again there are about as much rumours about DE as there are about Lizardmen. What if the rumours about playtesting the elven book togheter was true and we get WE and DE. We already have had a crazy year with all the books released so far! So then again it might be that we have to wait until 2014. Personally I think they can't come soon enough!

KeenCommander
09-05-2013, 00:44
You guys are forgetting the most needed new dark elf model, dark riders. They are one of the dark elves best units but you dont see them nearly as often as you should because they look super dumb and are super expensive. Followed probably by a dreadlord/bsb on a dark peg.

Personally, I'm am super scared of a new Dark Elf book. More than anything else i'm worried that power of darkness will be taken out or changed. On top of that i love the synergy you get when using a lvl 4 dark sorceress with a sacrificial dagger. Being able to reliably 1 dice cast every spell save black horror is amazing. Plus chillwind, word of pain and bladewind are all great spells as is. On top of that they have loads of other great magic items that they will probably lose in the new book: pendant of khaeleth, darkstar cloak, seal of ghrond, black dragon egg, lifetaker, crimson death (although i think whip of agony is better so i take that on my lord) and Armor of darkness (i put that on my black guard champ)
Sure they cant beat many combat blocks in a fair fight. But they have access to core fast cavalry so they can be super sneaky and set up traps that you can spring with your hydra and black guard.

Halbeard
09-05-2013, 01:26
Agreed! Already mentioned Dark Riders in post #4, they are one of the oldest models out there. ...You could still play 7ed, if agreed upon. Friendly games with friends? I don't see how everything will disapear. But I rather have a versatile overhauled AB, than an old one with a few combos where I almost certainly win. Fail is the best way to acctually get expirence! I hope the Beastmaster character will be back! I hope for more options to acctually build an army that resembles Karond kar, Har Ganeth, ... and of course Naggarond. That GW take away the cap on Black guard... BTW: you can easily make your own Dark Riders if you buy a box of WE Glade Riders and use parts from warriors and/or other DE boxes as Cold one knights...

Voss
09-05-2013, 01:47
Dark riders seem a given for an update, as they were one of the few existing units that didn't get the finecast treatment, and one of the few units still on those old horses (reavers still are as well, but they at least have the IoB models as alternatives).

Brotheroracle
09-05-2013, 02:07
I'm very much looking forward to this book High Elves got 4 new choices of characters, I fully expect several new character types.

Lornak Bloodgreed
10-05-2013, 14:27
SO it's definitely on it's way, that's a good thing. I'm concerned though, hopefully there will be some awesome new Dark Elf Warriors, Dark Riders, Cauldron of Blood, Morathi, Malekith, Black Guard, Shades, and Executioners at least.

DarkMark
10-05-2013, 16:24
SO it's definitely on it's way, that's a good thing.

Yes, yes they are (http://www.ragingheroes.com/blogs/news/7270128). :evilgrin:

JWhex
10-05-2013, 16:47
You guys are forgetting the most needed new dark elf model, dark riders. They are one of the dark elves best units but you dont see them nearly as often as you should because they look super dumb and are super expensive. Followed probably by a dreadlord/bsb on a dark peg.

Personally, I'm am super scared of a new Dark Elf book. More than anything else i'm worried that power of darkness will be taken out or changed. On top of that i love the synergy you get when using a lvl 4 dark sorceress with a sacrificial dagger. Being able to reliably 1 dice cast every spell save black horror is amazing. Plus chillwind, word of pain and bladewind are all great spells as is. On top of that they have loads of other great magic items that they will probably lose in the new book: pendant of khaeleth, darkstar cloak, seal of ghrond, black dragon egg, lifetaker, crimson death (although i think whip of agony is better so i take that on my lord) and Armor of darkness (i put that on my black guard champ)
Sure they cant beat many combat blocks in a fair fight. But they have access to core fast cavalry so they can be super sneaky and set up traps that you can spring with your hydra and black guard.

LOL that dagger is going bye-bye for sure. In 8th edition it is just too good compared to other revised armies. Power of darkness, maybe, maybe not, probably get revised.

There is a lot of hate for the pendant/crown/peg lord but I find it to be more of an annoyance and have broke and run him down many times.

Did I say the sacrificial dagger is gone with the wind!!!!

I would not be surprised if the cauldron gets some changes, making it the bsb is pretty excellent and I would not at all be surprised if that was an option that gets closed.

On the positive side, after seeing the HE book the DE may get some unexpected buffs, I dont think anyone saw martial prowess coming.

Oh yeah, one more thing, enjoy your dagger while you can! Its going to be super nerfed or I will eat this post!

Captain Collius
10-05-2013, 17:04
Yeah we can assume form the previous 8th edition booka most power dice generating items will be gone. Pendant may also leave. I would hope you keep your asf abanner as it seems to be the best way to make executioners work.

warplock
10-05-2013, 17:08
As long as they increase Executioners' banner allowance... :mad:

a18no
10-05-2013, 17:37
Hydra banner and ASF banner stay the sames, executionner and witches have access to 50 pts banner and cold knight to 75pts banner and I don't mind loosing the dagger and any other magic item.

My guess?

Dagger gone, no more infinite dice for sorceress, +1 to cast is back. The basic spell for sorceress could stay, but will only work as the spell 0 for dark margic or some changes to fit it in the lore attributes.
Executionner axe stay, as armor of immortality and black amulet.
For the banners, hydra, ASF and Nagarrothe. All with little to no modification
Lifetaker and darkstar cloak will be back with some changes.

I don't see where they can change the units. I don't see problem except for the hydra. Everything else is in line with the 8th edition. Hydra will increase a LOT in point or will see major update of its rules. Ballista will follow the HE one.

For 2-3 new units... I'm lost

theunwantedbeing
10-05-2013, 17:57
I expect the following for the next Dark Elf Book

Dramatically cheaper lord level mage (50pts drop)
Noticably cheaper Noble and sorceress (10pts & 15pts less)
Cheaper Chariot (5-10pts less)
Cheaper Bolt Thrower (30pts less)
Cheaper Manticore (50pts less)
The Hydra will get nerfed into unusableness
We'll keep hatred

Based on what happened to the High Elf Book.
We'll see some new *something* (I have no idea what).

Maybe Malekith will get properly good.....maybe not.
Assassins will likely lose ASF for no good reason and become normal heroes again.
We'll see a bunch of extra hero choices appear out of nowhere as well

I'm not hugely optimistic about it all really.

Lars Porsenna
10-05-2013, 18:24
Dunno if I would be so quick to predict the Hydra being nerfed to unusable-ness. If they release a plastic kit for this, they'll want to recoup their investment. I predict it will still be good, just not an auto-include...

I'm always more focused on the models rather than the rules (rules are good, but the models give me a reason to play...), so I'm predicting a plastic Hydra (perhaps a dual-kit with something new...instead of multiple heads, a single headed creature), plastic Witch Elves, plastic chariot, and a big centerpiece model, like a new (big!) plastic Cauldron or perhaps an animated statue of Khaine (over on the Eldar rumor thread in the 40K forums, there was again mention of a new Avatar kit...maybe a dual kit with crossover appeal?). Instead of that, a dual Executioner/Blackguard plastic kit (for those detractors that say they look too different...this has never stopped GW before.)

Damon.

datalink7
10-05-2013, 18:50
Dunno if I would be so quick to predict the Hydra being nerfed to unusable-ness. If they release a plastic kit for this, they'll want to recoup their investment. I predict it will still be good, just not an auto-include...

I don't know... the Slaughterbrute/Mutalith is pretty horrible. I haven't seen one fielded yet.

Lars Porsenna
10-05-2013, 19:05
I don't know... the Slaughterbrute/Mutalith is pretty horrible. I haven't seen one fielded yet.

Well, that's not to say GW can't make mistakes too. But I just picked up the HE book, and while I haven't had a chance to analyse in depth the new units (really I was looking to see how good the stuff I already have is), nothing jumped out at me as being terrible for the new stuff.

Damon.

Knifeparty
10-05-2013, 19:17
My predictions on the new book:

Army Wide ASF, retain Hatred for High Elves. Some other special rule to match martial prowess.

Sacrificial dagger stays but goes up to 50-55 points.
Ring of Hotek is back but only affects one unit.
Armour of Darkness-50 points
Pendant might Come back but be like 60-70 points.

Power of Darkness will be back in the form of their lore attribute for Dark magic that allows you to channel another die on a 4+ or 5+ for every successful spell cast or something like that. Something akin to the Death lore attribute.

Dark magic will be brutal as far as damage output is concerned, lots of magic missiles and Direct damage spells.

Signature spell will probably be doom bolt with a boosted version like 6+ cast value: d6 Strength 5/ 12+ cast value 2d6 strength 5/ 18+ cast value 3d6 Strength 5 magic missiles.

Inclusion of Executioner type lord, possibly something like Grand Carnifex from the Malus Darkblade novels.

Possible inclusion of Pleasure cult lord like the Anointed of Slaanesh from the Storm of Chaos list.

Witch Elves move to core somehow.

Cold One/Hybrid chariot release. I don't know what else the Dark Elves have that would pull a chariot but it could be like a Dark Pegasus or something.

Some sort of new Monstrous Flying Cavalry like Dark Pegasus/manticore Knights or something.

Possibly miniature Idols of Khaine as Monstrous Infantry.

Possibly Assassin troupes that act a bit like wardancers in the rare section.

Some kind of Beastmaster/handler unit with warbeasts something like the Dark Eldar have.

New Cauldron of Blood.

Avian
10-05-2013, 20:03
If there is no pre-book wave, you're looking at approximately four new plastic kits - two of which will be brand new things nobody's seen before. For the other two, I'm betting on new Dark Riders and new Chariot, as those are the only kits that mix metal and plastics and you haven't been able to order the chariot for quite some time now. The chariot might get a variant build and it's possible (though not super-likely) that the Dark Riders will also.

Hope for a pre-book wave, that's all I'm saying.

Col. Tartleton
10-05-2013, 21:05
They need new warriors and dark riders.

Warriors aren't as bad as Helf core but it's close.

warplock
10-05-2013, 21:59
I don't think they will get new warriors. The current ones aren't the best models, but they're far far away from the worst - the RXB variants actually look great IMO. Besides that, GW aren't redoing any of the plastic core, seemingly. Besides THAT, there are other models which require updating much more.