PDA

View Full Version : Old 6:ed Dark elves overhaul in WD, where to find?

Halbeard
08-05-2013, 21:49
A Time after the 6:th ed. Dark Elves AB was released, there was a overhaul in White Dwarf. I wonder if anyone knows which number it was. (live in Europe for the matter of WD#). And I also wonder if anyone knows where to perhaps find this update as a PDF or similar (canít find it on the internet). I Got The old 6:th ed. Book but not this update, have unfortunatly lost it. Can anyone help me please? I also would be very happy if someone have the rules for Mengil Manflayers (for 6:th ed. Their rules was relaeased as a WD article). Have tried to find this for some time now, couldnít find it anywhere, not even on GW homepage. Any suggestions where to find it?

Dominatrix
08-05-2013, 22:04
The revised DE list was called City Garrison but I can't remember the WD where it was first printed. It was also found on the Warhammer Chronicles 2003 book though. Maybe it will be easier to track. As far as Mengil's manflayers look no further: http://www.sactosaws.com/sawschallenge/RoR-menghils-manflayers.pdf. ;)

decker_cky
08-05-2013, 22:06
The revised DE list was called City Garrison but I can't remember the WD where it was first printed. It was also found on the Warhammer Chronicles 2003 book though. Maybe it will be easier to track. As far as Mengil's manflayers look no further: http://www.sactosaws.com/sawschallenge/RoR-menghils-manflayers.pdf. ;)

I think he was talking about the Dark Elves FAQ, which dropped warriors by 2 pts, gave executioners heavy armour, made chariots 2 for 1 choices, boosted the cauldron somehow, and made hydras cheaper (might be missing a few other changes).

Dominatrix
08-05-2013, 22:12
I think he was talking about the Dark Elves FAQ, which dropped warriors by 2 pts, gave executioners heavy armour, made chariots 2 for 1 choices, boosted the cauldron somehow, and made hydras cheaper (might be missing a few other changes).

Oops you may be right decker my bad. This list was the first thing that sprang in my mind because as soon as it was released our resident DE player used only that instead of his army book.

Halbeard
08-05-2013, 22:30
Decker is right. Thanks! This also made me remember the different hydras you could use. And that the rule for Shadowblade came throu WD articles. Back then, you really got something when you bought WD. Today it's just a bunch of commercials you have to pay for, sad it is! At the same time I miss WD when I don't buy it!

Halbeard
08-05-2013, 22:34
This overhaul actually made Dark Elves as good as it appeard by its look on the table (back then!). I miss the good old days when you could have 15 dark riders with rep. crossbow and a musician as core and then bolster up special and rare with the real goodies. Stil have to find those old books. A friend of mine might have them somewhere!

decker_cky
09-05-2013, 01:32
Wow....would you believe it's still available from GW's website, even though it's from before the current website:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m470861_Dark_Elves_Revision_2008-02_Edition.pdf

Halbeard
09-05-2013, 01:36
WOW! Amazed! Thank you!!!

boli
09-05-2013, 18:12
I can't believe that this was the reason DEs are so undercosted! 7pt warriors *sigh*

Dominatrix
09-05-2013, 18:51
I can't believe that this was the reason DEs are so undercosted! 7pt warriors *sigh*

Errrr they seem undercosted because 6th edition was cavalryhammer. Hordes and the other 8th edition shenanigans didn't exist back then.

Voss
09-05-2013, 18:57

They aren't undercosted. They're actually more appropriately costed than the other elven armies. It was the first time GW stopped blindly applying the old formulas for what high-than-average stats 'should' cost and actually looked at the performance and the book as a whole. Unfortunately, they didn't continue to apply the same thing to other books, which is why high elves were patched with ASF and wood elves just continued to be bad.

decker_cky
09-05-2013, 22:36
Also....this doesn't have much to do with the current DE book, which has 6 point warriors and added cheaper commands, hatred and the ability to take magic banners. In the context of 7th edition HE, Daemons and VC, HE warriors weren't anywhere near an issue (nor were 5 pt GW marauders). Cheap infantry just wasn't impressive in the 7th edition context. It was only 8th edition hugely boosting all cheap infantry with steadfast and hordes, and the exclamation point of mindrazor on elves that makes for DE warriors being overly cheap.

@Voss - you're out to lunch on WE. Wood elfs were the power army when released (after this FAQ), with amazing skirmishers and access to the upgraded lore of life from the lore revisions. WE were the first army to really load on special rules to the extent that's common nowadays. They almost immediately lost a bit of a step with 7th edition, but were fine until the 7th edition power lists started coming out (not sure how much they struggled with HE, but certainly everything after that created issues). Even then, good WE generals found a way. And after 8th edition knocked them down a few more rungs, it was the same thing again.

sulla
10-05-2013, 16:42
They aren't undercosted. They're actually more appropriately costed than the other elven armies. It was the first time GW stopped blindly applying the old formulas for what high-than-average stats 'should' cost and actually looked at the performance and the book as a whole. Unfortunately, they didn't continue to apply the same thing to other books, which is why high elves were patched with ASF and wood elves just continued to be bad.It looks like you're saying 7th edition HE came out after 7th ed DE?